PDA

View Full Version : TSG RPG IV (Updated as of 9/27/10)

Marche100
09-04-2010, 08:07 PM
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7159/logofw.png

Hi. I'm Marche, in case you didn't know. If you don't know me or haven't heard of TSG RPG before, here's a quick little history lesson for you! Even if you do know me and the TSG RPG games, read it anyways, because you're lying if you say you do.

Once upon a time, many years ago (2009 I believe it was), I decided to make an RPG based on TSG. Originally, the plan was to release it all at once, but I felt bad about making people wait for so long, so I went ahead and released it in episodes. Only the first episode got released, then I got developers block and writers block all in one and canceled it. (In case you want to play it, you can simply go to my profile, and the link to the thread should be there, since I made like 100 posts in it.) Months passed...then, this summer, I decided to make TSG RPG 2. Everything was going well, it was over halfway done and well on its way to completion (it was at least 3 or 4 hours long at the time), and then my computer blew up. So, that one was gone. Then Masamune decided to create an RPG based on TSG. He canceled that one.

There's your history lesson. Now you know why this is the 4th one, even after you've probably never even heard of the 2nd or 3rd one (I count Masamune's RPG as TSG RPG 3. How could I not?). So, why should you be interested in this if the ones before it crashed and burned. Quite frankly, you shouldn't, but if you are, then thanks for the support! _awesome_

Now onto some information!

But first, two brief notes which are of vital importance! One, this game will be much like TSG RPG, in that it will be released in parts. Think of Final Fantasy 4 the After Years, only it's free. Also, it hopefully won't suck. Two, this game is more fast paced than previous TSG RPGs. It is being made with RPG Maker 2003. The first and 3rd were made with RPG Maker VX (and the 2nd with Rpg Maker XP). It should play a lot more smoothly than previous TSG RPGs, and it should be less demanding on your computer.

-Story-

The story is simple. Simple enough to explain a few sentences. You are Zack, an avid fan of TSG (no, not Zach as in Zach2m1), and you wake up one dull morning and decide to check out what's happening on the TSG Forums. Not long after you begin browsing the forums, you get a call on Skype from a restricted number. The person tells you that there are many worlds in danger, and that you have been chosen to be the savior of those worlds. Not only that, it turns out that video games are not fictional, rather they are just windows into other worlds, and those worlds are the ones that are in danger. Skeptical as you are, you soon find yourself thrust into the worlds to save them. Who is the mysterious person who called you? Why are the worlds in danger? Can you really save the world? What does this have to do with TSG?

Obviously, there's more to it, but that'd be spoiling it. And obviously, those questions above will be answered in game. (Or will they? Yeah, I guess they will.)

-News-

[spoiler=Sub-Worlds:eoh6bfyn]In the game, there will be sub-worlds that will bridge the gap between larger areas of some worlds. For example, in the first world, you have to go to some ruins as part of a quest, but the way to the ruins are blocked, so you have to go into a sub-world to make your way to the new area. The sub-worlds will be things like Megaman and Metroid, and will be sidescrolling, although still maintaining random battles and things of that nature.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

-Characters-

-Zack-

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/539/character1.png

Role: Ordinary Kid
Hobbies: Browsing the TSG forums, Sleeping, Eating

-Zack-

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7863/character2m.png

Role: Savior of Worlds
Hobbies: Slaying monsters, Examining objects, Talking to random people
Note: This is Zack's avatar while he is in foreign worlds

-???-

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8739/character2.png

Role: Making Zack's Life Difficult
Hobbies: ???
Note: This is the one who calls Zack via Skype

More Characters to come!

-Screenshots-

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4526/screenshot1nq.png
Clearly, Zach is a big fan.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3383/screenshot2h.png
The guard doesn't want to endanger the people.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5065/screenshot3ch.png
Or maybe he's just lazy.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9117/screenshot4nz.png
Boss key? Now what does that remind you of?[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/406/screenshot5ha.png
Wrong game, buddy.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8256/screenshot6bx.png
Dr. Wily's construction site of DOOOOM.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1848/screenshot7k.png
A basic battle in the Megaman Sub-World.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler:eoh6bfyn]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1773/screenshot8fpy.png
The first nostalgia-filled boss in the game.[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

More Screenshots to come!

-Concept Art-

[spoiler=Concept Art I:eoh6bfyn]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5980/thelaststand.png[/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

-Music-

No game is complete without music to accompany it. There's plenty of the music in the game, and it comes from tons of different games. So, to give you a taste of what's to come, here's some of the music that'll be in the game.

[spoiler=Battle Theme:eoh6bfyn][youtube:eoh6bfyn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuAruT7Czo&feature=related[/youtube:eoh6bfyn][/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler=Area Theme:eoh6bfyn][youtube:eoh6bfyn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_nhv1vLgw[/youtube:eoh6bfyn][/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

[spoiler=???:eoh6bfyn][youtube:eoh6bfyn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W8warkXFOU[/youtube:eoh6bfyn][/spoiler:eoh6bfyn]

-Frequently Asked Questions-

I'm putting this here because I know I will get these questions, and I just want to clear some things up right away.

Q: What are you using to make the game?
A: RPG Maker 2003.

Q: *Thing* sounds like *Thing* from *Game*. Is *Thing* from *Game*?
A: Yes, this game pulls heavily from other games. The worlds are other games. The music comes from other games. Some sound comes from other games. Essentially, this is a game constructed from bits and pieces of other games. I should say, the resources are mostly from other games. I'm just the one who puts it all together.

Q: When will it be released?
A: It'll be done when it's done. I will give updates regularly on how things are going. Like I said, it's gonna be released in episodes, and that's mainly so that you guys don't have to wait months and months for it all to be released.

Q: Where can I play TSG RPG 1?
A: Go to my profile. There should be a link to it there.

Q: What about TSG RPG 2? Will we ever see stuff from that?
A: About that...it is recovered, but it's not working for some reason. I got a tester to try and download everything needed for it (there's a lot to download) and play it, but he couldn't even get it to start up, so sorry, but it doesn't look like we'll see anything from it.

Q: Where can I play TSG RPG 3?
A: Go back to the Exchange section of the forums and look through a page or two. The game is called "Our World". Shouldn't be too hard to spot. Before it was canceled a demo was released, so you've got something to play, yes.

Q: What does it cost to buy TSG RPG 4?
A: Well, well, well, don't think you can handle the price, can you? I'm gonna tell you right now, this game is very costly. It'll cost you a grand total of $0.00. I'm not cruel. I'm not going to make you pay for a game. Plus, most of the stuff I'm using comes from other games, so I'd get sued every which way if I tried to sell this thing. I'd be an idiot to put a price on this game. And that, as they say, is that.

-Credits-

This space is reserved for credits which I will fill out later.

-Download-

This space is reserved for mirrors to downloads. Clearly, nothing is ready for release yet, so don't ask.

-Beta Testers-

I need beta testers. 3 will be fine. For TSG RPG I had like 5, which was too many to handle. I think I'll be fine with just a couple people. If you want to be a beta tester, just PM me why you want to beta test, and we'll go from there.

-Current Beta Testers-

Brineboy
Twister
GoldGameMaster

BETA TESTING IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.

Ok. This topic took hours to create. I hope you enjoy, and that you find what I have to offer entertaining. I'm gonna go pass out now.

Brineboy
09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I love how it looks one of the things that I am usually not a fan of with rpgmaker games is the text box but I like how it looks in this one :D
Can't wait for more info

mountain_mew
09-04-2010, 08:19 PM
OMG! $0.00?? what do you think I am rich?!? xD
I like it! can't wait for more!!

GoldGameMaster
09-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Well, third time's the charm eh.

pikminsquad2148
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
So you've already started yours, huh? Well good luck! :D

zach2m1
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
You are Zack, an avid fan of TSG (no, not Zach as in Zach2m1)

That made me sad =(

Had my hopes up there for a second <_<;

Masamune
09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
No FAQ for my TSG RPG? ;_; I am hurt.

And I have no compy, so can't Beta either. ;______;

And didn't I start my RPG before your second one?

;___________________________;

[spoiler:14569n3w]On a positive note, I LOVE IT.[/spoiler:14569n3w]

Twister468
09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Sounds awesome.

I would more than be happy to beta test it. Whenever that happens.

the1stpkmnfan
09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Thats looking pretty darn awesome Marche! Awesome work so far. :D

I can remember something like this last year, indeed. :P

Masamune
09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Q: Where can I play TSG RPG 3?
A: Go back to the Exchange section of the forums and look through a page or two. The game is called "Our World". Shouldn't be too hard to spot. Before it was canceled a demo was released, so you've got something to play, yes.I am approve. Tank shaw, gettin' more pumped nao. :3

wee187
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I look forward to this with the act of looking forward! _awesome_

Marche100
09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I apologize that I haven't said anything lately about this. School got in the way of any work getting done, but I've made some progress. And here it is.

First of all, sorry that I didn't notice that you wanted to be a beta tester Twister. I'll put you down as the other beta tester.

There's a new screen shot up, showing another area of the first world you'll travel to.

There is also now a news section which will be updated with tidbits of information about the game that may very well interest you.

Edit: Screenshot of the first sub-world up. Pretty obvious what world it is and who the main villain of that world will be. I was actually planning to record video footage of the sub-world, but I'm not gonna finish the sub-world today, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow, I suppose.

Masamune
09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
D: It's not an MMBN world?

Marche100
09-12-2010, 05:39 AM

No. That's not side-scrolling, and I'm trying to make all of the sub-worlds have a theme of NES games.

But...you might still see Megaman Battle Network in there somewhere.

Masamune
09-12-2010, 05:54 AM

No. That's not side-scrolling, and I'm trying to make all of the sub-worlds have a theme of NES games.

But...you might still see Megaman Battle Network in there somewhere.
*Explodes*

Marche100
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates lately. I've been working hard, but I haven't found the time to actually show you guys anything. Again, I have to apologize. I was originally going to record a segment of the game and show it to you via Youtube as a part of this update, but I was having some major issues getting the recording to look decent, so I couldn't do that. I'm really sorry about that.

Instead, I've got two more screenshots to show you, I've added a music section and put some music that'll be in the game in there, and I've added another slot for a beta tester just for the heck of it. If you're interested, just say so, and you'll be good to go with that.

As for progress with the game. It's going, albeit a bit slowly. I didn't work on it for a little while due to my weekend of furious Metroid playing, but now I'm working on it full time, 7 days a week, whenever I have free time. It's still not even close to being finished (There are 3 dungeon-type areas in the first episode, and I'm halfway done the first), but it's getting there. Hopefully, I'll be able to show you guys some more stuff soon.

Hope you guys are interested in this, too, and like what you see. I don't want to be making this only to find out that 1 person wants to play it, or that everyone hates it. *coughdaikatanacough*

Anyways, that's all for now.

GoldGameMaster
09-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Well you chose some nice music. Anyway I could always beta test as I have nothing better to do. I could also make a decent video recording. ;)

Blaumagier
09-22-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll definitely play it when it's done... but how come you aren't using TSG people as characters? Are you just trying to avoid a flood of "Can I be in it?"

wee187
09-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Woah, the screens look great! I'm looking forward to this! :D

Marche100
09-23-2010, 04:40 AM
I'll definitely play it when it's done... but how come you aren't using TSG people as characters? Are you just trying to avoid a flood of "Can I be in it?"

That's a part of it.

1. Like you said, with the first TSG RPG I got a massive flood of "Can I be in it", and it's really a pain to HAVE to put that giant list of people in. After awhile it just becomes you sticking them in because you have to, and that shouldn't have to happen.

2. For NPCs and the like in the game, I'm mainly using sprites from games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. You can't get a lot of variety with those, and after awhile about 20 people would end up looking exactly the same (the NPCs will also mirror that, but that's ok). I suppose you could, but there's not really any reason to do it, nor would the game benefit from it (at least, not much).

notmman
09-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Looks pretty awesome Marche, keep it up!

Masamune
09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Marche.
[spoiler:1z2fyu4r]I LOVE YOU.[/spoiler:1z2fyu4r]
That said, all looks awesome. :3

Marche100
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Masa. I like you, but I don't like you like that. :lol:

_mks_

Masamune
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
D:

You've broken my heart Marche. ;_;

evandeck
09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Is TSG RPG IV the final title?

Marche100
09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Funny you should mention that Evandeck. I've been seriously thinking about this lately, and the way I see it, at the current time, I have no real plans to incorporate TSG into this. Truely, it has nothing to do with it. Also truely, it changes nothing. If I somehow were to work TSG into it, it would not benefit the game at all, nor do I think that it would make the game any more interesting or fun to play if I did. It was originally planned as being a part of the game, but I've only recently realized that this game has nothing to do with TSG, and that's the way it should stay.

So there you go. TSG is officially not a part of this game anymore. HOWEVER. I am not going to change the name. Just a personal preference. I think it's fine as is. Who cares what the title is. The title's not important, the game is.

One more thing. I put up a piece of concept art on the front page under a new section. No particular reason for making it. Just spontaneous. Oh, and I won't say a word about the concept art, except to announce when a new piece of art is posted, or if someone would ask me what I used to make it, etcetera. But I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions about what the art portrays.

That's all for now.

Masamune
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
So you mean that... that...
[spoiler:2xkcfguk]that I won&#39;t be in it?

D:[/spoiler:2xkcfguk]

Marche100
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Masa, I believe I explained why it's a bad idea to put people from TSG into this game before.

Doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, y'know. ;)

Masamune
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Really Marche? You're letting people in the game?

"I want to be in it!"

"Me to, i want in aswell!!!1"

"I am looking forward to seeing my role in this despite not caring about actually playing the game at all. :)"

[spoiler:1xy4lnrk]Dat wai?[/spoiler:1xy4lnrk]

Marche100
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Uh...kinda. One of the big reasons is that with TSG RPG 1, I got a huge tidal wave of people who wanted in, and it was just really not fun trying to put all of them in, let alone give them all roles that weren't totally useless (which many still were). Also, with this game, I'm using primarily sprites from Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy games, so everyone would look pretty much the same if I put them in. There's just no point to it.

So now no one had better ask me that again. :P