PDA

View Full Version : Tournament?

Raen
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I was just thinking that'd it'd be fun to have a nice little (or big) Pokemon tournament here at TSG? Anyone like this idea?

Also, might I suggest that, if we did this, we use official Pokemon Organized Play rules? I ask since my team is build that way (I use Groudon and Dialga). If you don't know those rules, check here:
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

Dark_Weavile
09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
#1 wrong place to post this
#2 official rules are generally unpopular (hence why we don't use them....they are unbalanced and stupid)
#3 this has been tried before and will not work

NicoCW
09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Being able to use a certain amount of ubers, if even just one, doesn't work for competitive battling. It changes the whole goal of the battle to "KILL THE UBER AT ALL COSTS!" Plus, Kyogre and Groudon's abilities pretty much makes the rest of your Pokemon uber if used right. Official Nintendo Tournament Rules = STAY AWAY. If they ban Phione, you know it's no good.

Though I think a tournament would be interesting. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Hey, I support it, as long as the Smogon/Standard rules are in play.

Justinp
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I would love a tournament, but definitely not by those rules. I'm not a fan of ubers at all, especially outside of Uber battles.

gama-chan
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I'd be down for it, and I really don't mind the uber rules that much, how about one uber per player, but you have to tell people ahead of time what uber you are using to even things out?

Also, I pray that this takes flight, I reallllllyyyyyy want a tournament on here, especially with the TSG league on hiatus till season 4 is announced, and even then till the people participating get their acts together.

NicoCW
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd be down for it, and I really don't mind the uber rules that much, how about one uber per player, but you have to tell people ahead of time what uber you are using to even things out?You have to remember that if someone's using Kyogre or Groudon, that their ability is broken. Just sending them out could power up a whole team. Abusing Rain and Sunlight that's auto-activated and lasts the whole battle is way overpowered.

Dark_Weavile
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
sigh...as gen 5 is a week away and lack wifi at school i unfortunately have no chance to participate, and am going to be far too interested in supporting the early development of the gen V metagame

Raen
09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm fine with not using Nintendo rules, I just want to have a tournament!

As for the one uber idea, I would quite like that. You could also put specific bans on Pokemon like Kyogre or Groudon that have ultra powerful abilities.

Dark_Weavile
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
no.....no ubers...they're the big bullies on the playground who overpower everyone and make all the other kids eat sand pies

kmmgreen5
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
a tournament u say .......... everyone stay tuned <w< there's big things in the works

cursemarkreid
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm in we just need someone very reliable to organize and make sure the matches get done in time. Other than that go for it and I would like to be apart of it

Dark_Weavile
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
curse mark is right, if you are planning to enter you need to put someone impartial in charge of organizing

gama-chan
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I'd be down for it, and I really don't mind the uber rules that much, how about one uber per player, but you have to tell people ahead of time what uber you are using to even things out?You have to remember that if someone's using Kyogre or Groudon, that their ability is broken. Just sending them out could power up a whole team. Abusing Rain and Sunlight that's auto-activated and lasts the whole battle is way overpowered.

Well, that's sort of why you'd let people know ahead of time what the uber is, so that you can bring your own weather changer...if that's still too unfair then idk, I JUST WANT A TOURNAMENT! Ha ha! It would be a nice farewell to generation 4!

nriable
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
hey dude, nintendo rules isn't fun but hout bout a theme? say mabye only pokemon at a certain hight limit or unevolved pokemon only and stuff. i think it would be great, like gible versus totodile. just to be different you know?

cursemarkreid
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
hey dude, nintendo rules isn't fun but hout bout a theme? say mabye only pokemon at a certain hight limit or unevolved pokemon only and stuff. i think it would be great, like gible versus totodile. just to be different you know?
I like where you going with this. That would be fun.

D3adlyNinja
09-09-2010, 07:39 AM
hey dude, nintendo rules isn't fun but hout bout a theme?
i think someone might have mentioned this at one time but how about 1-type only team? Pretty much you choose one type of pokemon you like and you stick with it. An example would be maybe you really like fire types, thus you can only use pokemon that are pure fires or ones that have fire as a sub type. you will never know what the other side might pick so you may have an advantage or a disadvantage and not to mention that it will also help you train your pokemon to counter their weaknesses. In a way it would be like a tournament for gym leaders lol

deadbrain
09-09-2010, 08:47 AM
weavile has a topic on that sort of tourny D3adly.

if you were to go with a theme, id say "Forest, Desert, Swamp, Ocean, etc.".

i dont think i will compete, but i figured i should throw that out there. i also agree that the Nintendo rules are not very good, and Ubers would just ruin the fun, unless it was an Uber-only tourny...

Raen
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
My favorite "theme" tournament I've seen is called the Little Cup. At this big end-of-year competitive Pokemon picnic thing Utah has each year they did the Little Cup (I couldn't participate, as I was playing in the TCG League Championships). The rules were like this:

Little Cup Rules:
Pokémon: Players are allowed a team of up to 6 Pokémon that meet the following conditions:
The Pokémon must be able to evolve.
The Pokémon must be the earliest evolution stage obtainable.
The Pokémon must be at Level 5.
The Pokémon must not be on the Ubers list.
Species Clause - Only one Pokémon may be on a team from each species.

Ubers - The following are banned from use in Little Cup:

Scyther
Yanma
Sneasel
Meditite
Misdreavus
Murkrow
Tangela

Items and Moves:

Items: Pokémon in Little Cup are allowed to hold items, as in any Pokémon match. The "Item Clause" is not in effect in Little Cup, multiple teammates can hold the same item. The items Deepseatooth and Berry Juice are banned.

Moves: Pokémon in Little Cup can use (nearly) any move available to them at Level 5. All non-genderless Pokemon can use their level-up moves, and genderless Pokemon can use any 3rd generation level-up move in conjunction with any TMs. Sonicboom and Dragon Rage are both banned moves. Further information on illegal move combinations is located here.

OHKO Clause - Moves that score a guaranteed "One-hit-KO" on the opponent, such as Sheer Cold, Horn Drill, Guillotine, or Fissure, are banned.

Battle Mechanics:

Sleep Clause - Only one Pokémon can be put to sleep by an opponent at a time, per team.

Self-KO Clause - If an opponent uses Selfdestruct or Explosion with their last Pokémon, they lose the game regardless of the number of Pokémon remaining on the other team.

EVs: Contrary to some beliefs, it has been proven that even with a level 5 baby, any EV spread is possible on any Pokémon by way of the "Box trick". Thus, the standard in game maximum of 255 EVs per stat, 510 EVs total is the only limitation on EVs in Little Cup.

(btw, I found the rules on Smogon, that's what they used, I believe).

nriable
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
now i think this is all good and jolly but we need original dont you think? those are awesome yeah, but the 1 type thing is kinda done to dead. the desert, swamp, etc or tiny cup (which is basically like mine but has to be level 5 and no EVs) so we should pool the ideas and vote ok?

pkGamerB
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of battling with "special" rules/themes (partly because I don't have a ton of time to work on full new teams these days), but I'd definitely be on board for a regular ol' tourney that will let me use the 30+ Pokemon I've already trained. :P

One idea I had for a tournament a while back, but never posted, was a double elimination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament) style tournament. Basically, There's a winners' bracket and a losers' bracket, so it's not a pure win or go home type of deal. The winner of the winners' bracket plays the winner of the losers' bracket in the finals (which could be best of three, just for fairness' sake).

Maybe it's just me, but I think more casual battlers may be interested if they know they'll still have a chance to play after losing one battle (you're only eliminated if you lose again in the losers' bracket or twice in the finals).

windows98
09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Little Cup would be cool but I don't like the idea of having to train 6 new Pokemon for this one tournament. Especially since the level 5 rule would probably mean you'd have to do ridiculous breeding chains to get the attacks you wanted onto them.

I'm definitely interested in any kind of tournament though.

kmmgreen5
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
what would you guise think of a tournament with absolutely no rules?

NicoCW
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
what would you guise think of a tournament with absolutely no rules?Kyogre + Double Teaming Rain Dance abusers + Arceus + OHKO moves + lack of Sleep Clause = scary as hell.

windows98
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Six Wobbuffets, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

gama-chan
09-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of battling with "special" rules/themes (partly because I don't have a ton of time to work on full new teams these days), but I'd definitely be on board for a regular ol' tourney that will let me use the 30+ Pokemon I've already trained. :P

One idea I had for a tournament a while back, but never posted, was a double elimination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament) style tournament. Basically, There's a winners' bracket and a losers' bracket, so it's not a pure win or go home type of deal. The winner of the winners' bracket plays the winner of the losers' bracket in the finals (which could be best of three, just for fairness' sake).

Maybe it's just me, but I think more casual battlers may be interested if they know they'll still have a chance to play after losing one battle (you're only eliminated if you lose again in the losers' bracket or twice in the finals).
I like that idea nemesis!! :D

The baby tourney sounds interesting...but...I dunno...it sounds so...tame.

nriable
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
yeah nemesis is good but again, a vote would be soon i guess. i also agree with windows98 which is why i posted MY version of it. it will be over wifi any way so what every level, no ohko moves and otherwise just use unevolved pokemon with stats less than 90. of course we will only use 2 pokemon, double battle style for speed

gama-chan
09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Double battles...ick...

kmmgreen5
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
what would you guise think of a tournament with absolutely no rules?Kyogre + Double Teaming Rain Dance abusers + Arceus + OHKO moves + lack of Sleep Clause = scary as hell.

[spoiler:2c8wb4fg]muhahahahaha
http://i53.tinypic.com/2q21qax.jpg[/spoiler:2c8wb4fg]

gama-chan
09-09-2010, 10:08 PM
It would make an interesting challenge... an annoyingly interesting challenge :P

kmmgreen5
09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
It would make an interesting challenge... an annoyingly interesting challenge :P

then i think u guise might like what i have planed for next season 8-)

NicoCW
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh dear.

Twister468
09-09-2010, 11:29 PM

then i think u guise might like what i have planed for next season 8-)

I'm not even planning to participate next season.... and I'm a little worry.

kmmgreen5
09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
well i just say next season cause i don't have all the stuff ready yet, it'll be it's own separate thing though

Ninboycl
09-10-2010, 12:45 AM
*cry cry bout legendary pokemon*

Goddang noobs, deal with it. If you can't beat a legendary team, then quit, cus urbad.

Just sayin.

Triforce Saturn
09-10-2010, 03:26 AM
I know this is meant to be a joke, but people always forget one thing about Wobbuffet. It is completely screwed over by any special attacking dark type. Mirror Coat, being a psychic move, does nothing to Dark types, rendering Wobbuffet near-useless in some cases. Especially if you are stupid enough to have 6 of them :P.

Dark_Weavile
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I know this is meant to be a joke, but people always forget one thing about Wobbuffet. It is completely screwed over by any special attacking dark type. Mirror Coat, being a psychic move, does nothing to Dark types, rendering Wobbuffet near-useless in some cases. Especially if you are stupid enough to have 6 of them :P.
o ya wobboffetts cant touch me since my only uber is the special attacking darkrai :P

windows98
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't worry, they have destiny bond.

nriable
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
but they dont have the speed to use it

pkGamerB
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Not much is OHKOing Wobbuffet, though. It takes a Nasty Plot Dark Pulse from Darkrai (Wobb can lock it into Nasty Plot with Encore) or a Choice Band Crunch from Tyranitar (which isn't a guaranteed KO) to take it down in one shot. It'll survive the first attack, use Destiny Bond, and die on the next turn, taking the enemy with it (DB lasts until the user attacks again). So imagine fighting five more of those after your Darkrai or T-Tar goes down. xD

Dark_Weavile
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Not much is OHKOing Wobbuffet, though. It takes a Nasty Plot Dark Pulse from Darkrai (Wobb can lock it into Nasty Plot with Encore) or a Choice Band Crunch from Tyranitar (which isn't a guaranteed KO) to take it down in one shot. It'll survive the first attack, use Destiny Bond, and die on the next turn, taking the enemy with it (DB lasts until the user attacks again). So imagine fighting five more of those after your Darkrai or T-Tar goes down. xD
ya but what canit do to s special attack from a dark type. i dont need nasty plot i can just attack with worrying, since mirror coat doesnt hurt darks. in fact sableye spiritomb and shedinja out speed wobboffet to taunt it and then can attack without worrying (do to an immunity to both fighting and psychic) and the three of them being defensive dont mind destiny bond as much either

that being said, i should mention that i hate ubers and actually agree that they shouldnt be in this tournament

pkGamerB
09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
That's the thing. You hit Wobb with Dark Pulse, while I use Destiny Bond (even with Specs, max SpA Darkrai's Dark Pulse does %98 at most to the standard Wobbuffet, so the ONLY way it OHKO's is after Nasty Plot or a timely flinch). You can't switch, so on the next turn you kill me, and since I haven't gone yet that turn, Destiny Bond takes you down (and if you don't take me down, I'll just Destiny Bond again until you do). No Mirror Coat needed. Check and mate. ;)

Now I'll give you that Taunt ruins any Wobbuffet, and even then it still has a chance of winning, especially because there's 5 more left. :P

Dark_Weavile
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
That's the thing. You hit Wobb with Dark Pulse, while I use Destiny Bond (even with Specs, max SpA Darkrai's Dark Pulse does %98 at most to the standard Wobbuffet, so the ONLY way it OHKO's is after Nasty Plot or a timely flinch). You can't switch, so on the next turn you kill me, and since I haven't gone yet that turn, Destiny Bond takes you down (and if you don't take me down, I'll just Destiny Bond again until you do). No Mirror Coat needed. Check and mate. ;)

Now I'll give you that Taunt ruins any Wobbuffet, and even then it still has a chance of winning, especially because there's 5 more left. :P
but the thing is, Darkrai will usually have a chance to nasty plot, since its unlikely that darkrai would be switch into darkrai, the opposite will usually be true, meaning that darkrai will have a turn to boost (or dark void, ruining wobbofet further)
Thats two checkmates (nasty plot on the switch or dark void) (or both :P)

pkGamerB
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Under normal circumstances that's true, but Wobbuffet doesn't have to switch into or out of anything in this case, because I'm using a whole team of them (meaning your Darkrai literally can't switch in unless you've got something with Shed Shell, U-turn, etc before it). So there's nothing for Darkrai to come in and scare out, since they're all Wobbuffet. :P

But yeah, this is actually making me want to test this team out in a tournament. xD

windows98
09-10-2010, 06:39 PM
You can get around taunt by keeping around a low HP Wobbuffet with custap berry. It'll be able to get a destiny bond in before the taunt goes up or you could encore and keep switching a lot to stall out taunt's PP.

nriable
09-11-2010, 08:05 AM
guys, what about the TOURNAMENT? this is the wrong topic for that discussion isn't it?

gama-chan
09-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Me want tournament, just not a baby one :P