PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have You Been a Designer?

Mezix
01-29-2009, 07:20 AM
How long? And what do you use, Photoshop or Gimp?

fettouhi
01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm not a designer when we talk about work ut I have used photoshop since 2.5 days for picture editing and stuff

kmmgreen5
01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
bout since metroid marathon, i use gimp

localretard
01-29-2009, 08:30 AM
um probably only seriously for 5 years.

I use photoshop, self taught. I began just tryig to make sigs, like everyone else does. I then progressed into using dreamweaver and made website from scratch...and t's just been improving ever since.

01-29-2009, 09:15 AM
about ever since i came here

but i don't use either photoshop or gimp

I use my mac with word procesing and preview
step one get picture to show on preview (basically just double click it)
step two write something on word processing
step three copy the stuff u rote on word and paste on picture
step four put on image shack to make it able to be a sig.
optional get another pic on preview and drag it to the main picture

that is how i do it

iHeart_Absol
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
About 3 years. My aunt picked up a cheap version of photoshop elements and I started playing with it. I didn't really know about much stuff, so I played with it. Over time I got a bit better. I could still learn a lot more things but now that I have Photoshop CS3 I'm learning more and doing better with my pictures.

Ninboycl
01-29-2009, 11:48 AM
A few years...
I use PSCS4E.

Gwellin
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Much like Fettouhi, I have used Photoshop since way back at version 2.0. I've used most versions since then, before layers *shudder*, though I didn't really get in to it until version 6, then learnt more in a couple of postsecondary courses. Now I'm pretty skilled in the technical aspects, knowing what formats to use (for web in particular), how to use effects and filters, etc. With having a mother who has been designing print media for years I have picked up on design aspects such as the importance of contrast, complementary colours, readability of text and screen versus print resolutions.

Your title is pretty open ended, implying more than just graphics design, so I'll elaborate some more. My two postsecondary courses were for new media/websites and 3D animations, respectively. My 3D skills have waned somewhat from disuse, however my career is now website development. Some of my from scratch designs can be a little bland, however I know the ins and outs of implementing any design to be functional, clean and efficient on a live website.

iHeart_Absol
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
So to sum it all up, Gwellin has skills =D

Gwellin
01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
So to sum it all up, Gwellin has skills =D
Or that. :D

iHeart_Absol
01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Actually I need to figure out how to use filters >< Maybe someone could open a Photoshop tutorials thread and have people ask for tutorials they would like to see. I know I would appreciate it =P

Gwellin
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, I haven't really looked through the site, but a friend of mine gave me this a while ago. Apparently the tutorials there are pretty good.

http://www.photoshoplady.com/

iHeart_Absol
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks I will check it out!

Mezix
01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Gah, I wish I had the money for Photoshop. Maybe when I get a job... :D

zach2m1
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Well as some of you know I know nothing about photo shop and I tried to use gimp but could never get the hang of it so next year in grade 10 I am taking communication technology. So basicly it will show us how to use a bunch of Mac Programs like video editing and photoshop so that should be fun. Then I can finally create my own sig :)

whitemage730
01-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I use photoshop, but very poorly. I usually only use it for fun, but I used it to make my SmashBoards sig, too.

the1stpkmnfan
01-29-2009, 11:13 PM
For Photoshop, I've only used it since late December. Around the end after the pokemon marathon. But I've stopped using it for awhile, until I have the chance to buy Photoshop completely. That way I can fiddle around with it more, and create a bunch afterwards.

For now, nothing of the sort unless I find a better place to make a few of my creations.

Ferenc
01-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I have used Gimp in the past for sigs and stuff but I don't really use it anymore.

kmmgreen5
01-31-2009, 02:18 PM
i got a ton of new brushes for gimp so my stuff is gonna look more awesome now

arvuti
03-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Pretty much 5-4 years ? I self taught myself when I was like 8 years old,(my pictures ended up as playing with filters) but like 2-1 years ago I started to take it more seriously and now I barely touch filters.

Also, ive been using the whole time: adobe photoshop CS2.

fredy31
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I prefer PhotoShop because I use it at school and I've got lessons of it for half a year. I don't have the money to buy Photoshop so I got to use Gimp at home... and I really suck with Gimp.

\/\/\/ My signature is made with Gimp \/\/\/