PDA

View Full Version : Is Final Fantasy VII really all that great?

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I was going to post this in the "Favourite PS1 game?" topic, but it would probably drag it far odd topic.

I also hope not to start a flame war here, because it can be a touchy subject, but I don't feel that Final Fantasy 7 was as good as everyone says it is.

I never owned a PlayStation, but I did buy the PC version of Final Fantasy 8 years ago, which I loved, and played right through several times. Later I wanted to play more of the FF series, so I found an emulator; I know that seems to be a dirty word here, but I borrowed the game discs from a friend, didn't download them. So I played the PlayStation versions of FF 7, 8 and 9, with the benefit of save states, in a row three years ago.

I understand that it was remarkable for the time by simply being 3D, but the 3D is so low quality (both gameplay and prerendered) that it didn't stand out just a year later. After playing those three PS-era FF games in a row I feel that 8 and 9 far outshone 7. FF8 has a nostalgia quality for me, but with that removed I would probably say that 9 was the best.

Sonic62
10-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure the game is great, but it's not what some people say it is.

MSico
10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
People are just gay for Sephiroth. :P

zach2m1
10-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I did not own a PS1 until recently and I actually bought FF7 to see if it was as good as every one said. Its was good but it wasn't great or awesome.

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
People are just gay for Sephiroth. :P
That's one aspect, but what about the girls who swear by the game?

fettouhi
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I loved the story in that game so I would say yes its really that great.

skthmgs
10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I picked it up right after I got my ps2. Personally, I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over it, the game just doesn't seem to be what people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I just didn't understand why some people think that its the best game ever made.

MSico
10-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I'll give it that it's story is actually really good once you get far enough. Initially it's confusing and off-putting but the more you find out the better it gets.

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Ya, it seems the story is the only redeeming factor in that game.

fettouhi
10-04-2008, 02:20 AM
its hard to understand that why people asked for movies and FF crisis core and there probably more to come from FF 7 hopfully a remake on PS3 with updated graphics :D

SilverSon
10-04-2008, 10:52 PM
People who say FF7 is like the most fantastic game in the world are noobs because it isn't even the best FINAL FANTASY game, or even the best 3D FINAL FANTASY GAME. So things like best RPG/best game of all time are just preposterous to me.

Here`s a list of Final Fantasy games that are better than it.

VI
VIII
X
Tactics

And that`s without much thought.

People are just obsessed with ridiculously feminine men
with large swords and an RPG cookie cutter storyline.

I will credit it for being a good game and making Final Fantasy known in the states though.

Aeronautical
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
FFVI was pretty cool, but I did have some gripes with it. I felt that the materia system was pretty neat, but that it basically gave none of the characters unique skills, outside of limit breaks. Also it was way too easy to know where you were going. I loved getting lost in the older Final Fantasies. Personally, I like 6 and 9 best (backwards compatiblity is one of the best things ever!)

Aeronautical
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
FFVI was pretty cool, but I did have some gripes with it. I felt that the materia system was pretty neat, but that it basically gave none of the characters unique skills, outside of limit breaks. Also it was way too easy to know where you were going. I loved getting lost in the older Final Fantasies. Personally, I like 6 and 9 best (backwards compatiblity is one of the best things ever!)
Whoops, I meant FFVII, not VI. Forgot the second "I" XP

Gwellin
10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Remember, all the cool kids use the edit button.

Aeronautical
10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Remember, all the cool kids use the edit button.
Really? WOW. The marvels of technology just blow me away!

dryuriev7777
10-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I've played through Final Fantasy VII a couple times, but I thought VIII was a lot better. 7 had a great story and all but I was really interested in the whole time paradox thing in 8, not to mention I prefered the draw system over the materia system. And Sephiroth? ugh I thought he was cool back in the day but now his rediculous popularity has killed it for me.

Aeronautical
10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I've played through Final Fantasy VII a couple times, but I thought VIII was a lot better. 7 had a great story and all but I was really interested in the whole time paradox thing in 8, not to mention I prefered the draw system over the materia system. And Sephiroth? ugh I thought he was cool back in the day but now his rediculous popularity has killed it for me.
He's an overrated, mama's boy, crybaby! I'm so glad other people think that!

dryuriev7777
10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
He's an overrated, mama's boy, crybaby! I'm so glad other people think that!
Yeah I even respect Kuja more than Sephiroth

Aeronautical
10-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Argh! I hate it when stuff gets overrated! When something great seemingly becomes something akin to messiac (sp!!!). Then it becomes embarrassing to say you like it less you are looked upon as a fanboy. WAAAAAH!!! >.<

Vengeance
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
People who say FF7 is like the most fantastic game in the world are noobs because it isn't even the best FINAL FANTASY game, or even the best 3D FINAL FANTASY GAME. So things like best RPG/best game of all time are just preposterous to me.

Here`s a list of Final Fantasy games that are better than it.

VI
VIII
X
Tactics

And that`s without much thought.

People are just obsessed with ridiculously feminine men
with large swords and an RPG cookie cutter storyline.

I will credit it for being a good game and making Final Fantasy known in the states though.

you forgot IV, II, V, and III

Kurono
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
They also forgot IX. So it's all good.

VII is good. It's playable and decent. Not a bad game, no, but not the best game ever like people would like you to believe.

And the whole Sephiroth thing is out of control. Even SE makes him better than he is by making him more difficult than the final bosses in KH I and II. >_<

Vengeance
11-02-2008, 07:40 AM
> People are just obbsessed with rediculously feminine looking men with a giant sword and an RPG cookie cutter story line.

>Rediculously feminine Men
> Giant Sword

sounds like Sephiroth is over compensating lol

HaHaBoom92
11-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Hehe what can I say, I'm a total fanboy for this game. Few games draw me in as well as FF7 did. Its an awesome story with epic characters that are still loved by todays gamers......even if they haven't actually played it. You have to cross dress for a mission, how much more win can you get then that? :lol:

KaidanXain
11-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I've tried to like VII, I really have. But I just don't see anything that sets it apart from other RPGs (same way I see Halo and FPS').

Oh, and as a rule; I will always hate VIII solely because of the Draw system. >.<

Gwellin
11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh, and as a rule; I will always hate VIII solely because of the Draw system. >.<
It was tedious, yes. I didn't think it was so bad though. This is coming from a guy who spent at lest 20 minutes fighting Omega weapon to draw out 100 Ultima for the three party members.

goron2000
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
i think 9 was my all time favourite. i'm playing through it now with the epsxe shaders (i'm using my own original disc's so no piracy here, move along mod's)
you guys should try the shader packages with epsxe, it makes all games look so cool.
here's ff7
story book shader/looks manga-fied:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bfy6sMgKDwA

and silent hill with bump mapping:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7XB-vHuxw

Mezix
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
X > VII IMHO.

zach2m1
11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
So many FF games! Gona take a whole week to beat them all! :o

Kilgard
12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Alright first post here lets see if I can make it count.

I don't think that FF VII would have survived on it's graphics (at the time), or story alone. I think one of the reason gamers still look back at it and think "what a great game" is based on the fact that it had a great blend of Story, Visual Flare, and just so many little things to do and see.

Who didn't just forget about saving the world for an hour or two just to race chocobos or snow board in "Gold Saucer"? or trying your best to figure out how to deal with the weapons, before everyone knew how to do it.

Love it or Hate it FFVII was a hit with the masses, and helped the big wigs see that Western gamers could handle there heavy text games. FFVII was an a great game for it's time but it's early 3d graphics havnt aged aswell as the sprites of earlier Final Fantasy games, and the story is just lacking compared to newer games, heck its lacking compared to FF VIs story.

I'm hoping they let the giant sleep, it's completed it's mission now let it R.I.P.

p.s. - Sorry if that long post dosn't make sense, the marathon and lack of sleep are disrupting the thought process.

Silent_Water
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I actually just replayed FFVII over the summer with a friend. I had never beaten it before, and so we decided no matter what we'd get through it. I read a lot about how over-rated it is and how every other Final Fantasy is better, so I came in expecting to realize that my memories of it were better than it actually is.

But I was wrong. It's still held up over time. The materia system was amazing for customizing your characters, the graphics are just good enough 3D to not look bad now, and the story is deep enough to keep you entertained the whole way through.

Is it really all that great? Probably not. Is it still an amazing game? Of course.

Total disclosure, I never played VI or IX, and X is my favorite FF, so take my opinions as they stand.

zach2m1
12-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Recently I played final fantasy on the SNES and I would have to say I really liked it but I tried final fantasy VII and I really didn't like it :?

Cross-Warrior
12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Recently I played final fantasy on the SNES and I would have to say I really liked it but I tried final fantasy VII and I really didn't like it :?

The ones for the SNES are AWESOME! they are my favorite! epecally FF6

i did play FF 7 but never finished it, but i did see my brother play it and beat it.

sagema
12-23-2008, 02:14 PM
What made the FF7 great was it's variety of characters. The people who made the game worked on other various titles. Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and Xeno Gears for the PSOne. Final Fantasy Tactics was produced by the man who made Ogre Battle. Which was a lot better than Tactics Ogre. The company, Queen didn't last and was gobbled up mostly by Atlus and Square. Today Square has a massive variety of talent. Final Fantasy 7 started it all.

Tanexion
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine swore by it and got me to play it (my first ever FF game).
It....was......nice.
I'll never play it again, but I'm glad I did play it lol

Swift
12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I have FF7 and I think it's pretty fun, but I did kind of get bored of it after a while and never actually finished it. =X

Shojau
12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
FFVII is easily the most overrated game known to man. Yes it had a good story line. Yes the characters were fresh and you could find yourself attached to them. Yes the villain was a punk that you wanted to beat up, but it wasn't all that AND a bag of potato chips. While I wouldn't mind other games being as good as it, if you make that the highest mark there is, I wonder where a lot of other games belong.

(I am usually biased against games that everyone loves though.... I hate going with the crowd.. just pointing that out.)

JingleJangle7
12-26-2008, 12:55 AM
I played through maybe the first disk or so, but I can't say anything about the game itself since I was like 10 when I played it.

I do think that some of its overratedness could have been brought on just by time of release and the console itself. FFVII was the first good RPG for the PS1 to the western gamers. It also was the First Final Fantasy released on a Sony system which made it somewhat more special to some. When you look at the Final Fantasies, VII and X were both greatly appreciated and hyped and they both were the console debuts for the series. I also find that there are similarities between the two generations of FFs where FFVII was hyped, and then the other two on the PS1 were less hyped and appreciated. On the PS2, FFX was hyped and appreciated, but FFFXII was way less hyped and liked. In both generations, Gamers seemed to like FFVII and FFX because they were the first and gamers also seemed to give lesser opinions of the others because they tried to do new things.

dryuriev7777
12-26-2008, 01:19 AM
In my opinion, Final Fantasy 1-6 (except 3 :? ) were the best overall and were much better than 7 on, especially 4-6. I guess I just like the old school time when the main villian was a living tree who had a hilariously moronic second-in-command, or was a demented clown who eventually usurped an empire for himself, gains his wish to control the world, and commits mass murder on a global scale.

I absolutely LOVED Final Fantasy XII though. FFXII is like the time period of Oblivion meets the story of the original Star Wars. What's not to like? (except Vaan...)

Cross-Warrior
12-26-2008, 02:55 PM
In my opinion, Final Fantasy 1-6 (except 3 :? ) were the best overall and were much better than 7 on, especially 4-6. I guess I just like the old school time when the main villian was a living tree who had a hilariously moronic second-in-command, or was a demented clown who eventually usurped an empire for himself, gains his wish to control the world, and commits mass murder on a global scale.

I absolutely LOVED Final Fantasy XII though. FFXII is like the time period of Oblivion meets the story of the original Star Wars. What's not to like? (except Vaan...)

Ill agree with that dry! 1-6 were also, tho i havent finished FFIII i still enjoy it.

whitemage730
12-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I have to agree with you, Gwellin. It was not an amazing game. it was good, but not great. But what was amazing was the plot. The whole story in general. That's why their has been movies and indirect sequels to it. because of it's EPIC story.

chuggaaconroy
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
It's a very good game. It's got a good story with good characters and it was a great length for the price at the time, so you were getting an amazing value at the time. It was also the pioneer for a lot of story devices many people seemed afraid to try before. I'll give it that.

It is very much over-rated, though. Not even close to being the best game ever, there is no best game ever and there never will be. The player will always perceive that things in a game need to be better. For me, I wouldn't bash on the graphics too much since it was an early PS1 game, but I will complain about the sound effects sounding a bit low-budget as well as certain pieces in the soundtrack. I also could complain about the frequency of times that animations are re-used again and again, such as Cloud shrugging his shoulders and scratching his head every 10 seconds in scenes.

It is a very good game, but I feel that it's as over-rated as it is because it was many peoples first RPG, and in some cases, their first PlayStation game. A great game, but nowhere near the best game ever.

Trombonus
03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I think Chugga pretty much sums up my thoughts on this game. I definitely got into it, but my sister blew the "surprise" for me, which led me to stop playing and start raising levels/mastering Materia/learning Limit Breaks. I had not gotten past the first CD until about a year ago when I had decided the game had been sitting there long enough and it was time to finish things. I finally beat it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You know, I actually think the hype is starting to make FFVII less appealing to newer players. I'm hearing more an more how people think FFVII is over-hyped and/or is not a good game. People start wanting to dislike the game since it's supposed to be the greatest ever. They want to find every minor little fault to prove the fanboys wrong, and in the process don't enjoy it for what it is. It's a weird kind of psychological thing.

I say ignore the hype and just play it. Enjoy it for what it is and don't let someone else tell you if it's good or not. Decide for yourself! :)

CodeZTM
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Final Fantasy VII improved upon gameplay of previous titles (battle system), but murdered the beautiful storyline in the process. It was also revolutionary at the time, but hasn't aged as gracefully as other titles. A remake is highly necessary with somebody taking to the story with pruning shears.

The game was beat with the angst stick until it was emo before emo was even emo. Games after VII have followed this system ever since and nobody has questioned it since.

Not to say they aren't bad games.... They're just more shallow in plot post-VI. Still entertaining and FFX is still one of my favorite games of all time, I just had higher hopes.

Haruka
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
As far as I remember, the story indeed wasn't so superb, I really think I like it because of the nostalgy for me.

capcommaster1881
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
yeah the game the game has some aspects to it that made it great and popular but its a new age and new things have come arround. even some earlier games are better than FFVII, like Earthbound for example. Earthbound had great story plots, great gameplay, memorable music and bosses, and was just plain different from the regular medieval knight in shining armor. FFVII is no best game ever.

Rakuen
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm actually going to disagree and say that VII was the point that Squaresoft finally figured out how to write a story. Sure, it's no Shakespearean epic, but it's a far cry from a plot that is thrown through the windshield upon the trainwreck of a genre shift that happened in VI, the dimensional travel tomfoolery of V, and so on. Shoot, it wasn't even until VI that Square gave us a final boss that wasn't simply a personification of evil, if I recall, and VII was the first time they provided a villain we could actually loathe. I'd say that before VII, the high point in Square's storytelling was IV, which I also think is a great game. The remaining 5 games don't even compare.

As for the combat system, I'd say it's about even with VI. There were some advancements made to the system, but there were also some costs paid, namely that literally everyone can be a superhero. I do fault it for that. I'd say the highest point in the ATB system is X-2 (which ironically has the worst story).

Is the game hyped to hell and back? Yeah, sure. But it doesn't stop it from being a great game that's worthy of at a playthrough. Hype is a blinding factor to people who don't want to 'conform' which in itself is a type of conformity. So quit it, play a game based off its actual merits, and not how many Mary Sue/Gary Stu fanfictions have erupted from it.

Kilgard
03-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree with you Rakun (sp? sorry I"m terrabad with names)

The story is far better then most rpg fodder, but at the same time it's not perfect. For the most part the story was even paced well, slowing down at all the right spots... then you found out you could snowboard in gold saucer and never left :(

mint301
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
ff7 is a good game. ff7 is the most over rated game i like. whats better about this ff than any of the others. most the ff7 fans i know havent played any of the other ff games. :cry:

Odolwa
03-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Since the good story has already been talked about in this i won't say anything about it. I thought FF7 had the best characters, when i first played it i immediately liked cloud and i really liked vincent (maybe it is just because of his special). Sephiroth was pretty cool, and a few others.

I've only played 2 ff games (7 and 10), so there could easily be a lot better characters in the other games but comparing it to 10, the characters were way better. I might be alone here, but i hated tidus so much. Wakka's weapon annoyed at first me because it was so dumb and i didn't really like yuna. Auron was the only character i liked in that game, and i found it funny that he looked very similar to vincent.

TheUserless
03-20-2009, 06:58 PM
It was a really great game it had everything a good game should have and to me it was just fun and never got old although it was not my favorite final fantasy on ps1 i enjoyed final fantasy 8 and 9 way more 7 even though 7 was the only one out of the 3 that I finished.

MarioSuperFan
03-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I actually got my hands on FF7 for a very, very good deal with my friend. I gave him GTA3, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Mass Effect, and Test Drive Unlimited (all cheap games) and in return got FFV, FFVI (He gave me the Anthology on the PS1), FFVII, FFVIII, FF Tactics, an RPG called Wild Arms 2, and Crono Cross. I pretty much immediately jumped into VII, because I had always wanted to try this supposedly amazing RPG and hoped it would get me into them.

Sadly, like so many other RPG's I've tried to get into, I ended up shelving it after getting past the part with the cross-dressing Cloud mission. I didn't think it was bad. I just didn't find anything driving me forward. The combat isn't fun yet (not that I'm far in it) and the story is confusing right now. I'm going to pick it up again tomorrow and keep going.

I want to love it. I really do.

capcommaster1881
03-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Its just that, FF7 today isnt so great and hasnt stood the test of time. There is better RPGs then it and i can name off a few of the that i can pick up and play. FF9 is one of them and in my opinion is the best one that ive played.

whitemage730
03-22-2009, 01:27 AM
I actually got my hands on FF7 for a very, very good deal with my friend. I gave him GTA3, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Mass Effect, and Test Drive Unlimited (all cheap games) and in return got FFV, FFVI (He gave me the Anthology on the PS1), FFVII, FFVIII, FF Tactics, an RPG called Wild Arms 2, and Crono Cross. I pretty much immediately jumped into VII, because I had always wanted to try this supposedly amazing RPG and hoped it would get me into them.

Sadly, like so many other RPG's I've tried to get into, I ended up shelving it after getting past the part with the cross-dressing Cloud mission. I didn't think it was bad. I just didn't find anything driving me forward. The combat isn't fun yet (not that I'm far in it) and the story is confusing right now. I'm going to pick it up again tomorrow and keep going.

I want to love it. I really do.

Not to change the topic...
but don't give up on RPG's yet! Play the mother series, first. I have a feeling that would help change your opinion... a little.

But yeah, I started replaying this and a few other FF's, to get ready for the marathon. My first answer remains. It's a GOOD game. Not amazing, not epic, not perfect. It's just good. What IS epic, is the story behind it. It has the strongest and most interesting plot out of all of the Final Fantasy's, to the point where I almost think it would make a great book :lol: (But who would read if they could just play the game :lol: )

capcommaster1881
03-22-2009, 01:33 AM
What i do like in the game is the music and story. One Winged Angel is actually pretty good, even though i would say the final theme in Persona 3 surpasses that. Story like whitemage posted is like reading a good book, and i grew up with the game. Playing it more times each time i pull it off the shelf, its good but not perfect, doesnt mean its horrible as some retro reviewers say.

whitemage730
03-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Y'know what series has an even BETTER story than FF7, though?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon... >.>
but you didn't hear that. :lol:

MarioSuperFan
03-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Not to change the topic...
but don't give up on RPG's yet! Play the mother series, first. I have a feeling that would help change your opinion... a little.

But yeah, I started replaying this and a few other FF's, to get ready for the marathon. My first answer remains. It's a GOOD game. Not amazing, not epic, not perfect. It's just good. What IS epic, is the story behind it. It has the strongest and most interesting plot out of all of the Final Fantasy's, to the point where I almost think it would make a great book :lol: (But who would read if they could just play the game :lol: )

Well, I'd like to play the Mother series, but I don't really have the money to get Earthbound from Ebay, which is why it took me so long to get FF7 :(. Admittedly I did get a ROM for it, but I deleted it after playing it for a couple of hours because, well, it's illegal. I liked it, though, which is why I wish I could play more.

I actually really love the first few Pokemon games, and I've beaten Chrono Trigger and a few other RPG's that I could probably recall if it wasn't 3AM here :lol: I just want to get into some of these amazing RPG's so I can feel like I haven't completely looked over an amazing genre.

Oops, I kinda got off the topic... sorry :?

Gwellin
03-22-2009, 03:31 AM
I agreed with you right up to the story part. It's a good story. Not amazing, not epic, not perfect. It's just good. (to take a few words from your keyboard)

I thought the story was somewhat bland, personally. I found FF VIII to have a more involved and niched storyline. How often can one surprise a dedicated longtime fan of a game with a detail he never realized before? I told Baltes that Laguna and Rosa were Squall's parents and he didn't believe me at first, until the started to think about it and saw the pieces fall in place.

Anatotitan
03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
FF7 is only "great" depending on how you judge it.

I appreciate the neat gameplay elements it implemented. Materia was fun to play with and Chocobo racing was cute, for example. It was also nice that Square finally tried a different setting for the series, since up to that point they were going with more D&D-style fantasy tone. The art was great for its time, the music was memorable, and the world had some interesting things to explore. So as far as gameplay goes, it's not a bad game at all.

But the story, the one thing everyone loves to harp on, is atrocious on just about every level.

A lot of people are going to say "well, you just need to know everything about the story beforehand" or "well it makes more sense if you just play all of the spin-off titles." No, Square did not think they were going to make a bunch of side games when they made FF7, so the game's story is their idea of a stand-alone tale. Additionally, any story that requires a fan to stand up in front of me and give a little PowerPoint presentation on what's going on beforehand is not a well-told story.

I'm not saying game stories have to be perfect, since good ol' Game Logic will make for at least a few insane plot points. However, FF7 doesn't make any sense at all. A few years back I decided to replay the game straight through and I can assure you, it gets absurd. Characters are regularly shocked to find out things they easily could have discovered ages ago, Sephiroth's motivation is outright goofy, and the exposition is so muddy that it's hard to determine what's supposed to not make sense and what's a shocking revelation.

For a lot of people, FF7 was their first FF game, and usually a newcomer will be blown away by the series' tendencies for huge story arcs and giant worlds. And for a lot of kids, FF7 was one of their first games at all, which scores major Nostalgia Points. For slightly older kids, the fact that people DIED and there was like CURSIN' N' STUFF made it seem grown-up and rad-to-the-max. Even people already familiar with FF were impressed with the 3-d art and sci-fi setting. Additionally, everyone was already in love with Square thanks to Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana. When you add up all of these factors, it's easy to see why the game blew up as huge as it did. Had it been replaced with FF8 or 9, either one of those would have had that massive following.

It's a very fun game, but it's certainly not "the greatest entertainment product ever produced," or whatever outrageous title was bestowed upon it.

Now, had the story been about Barrett riding around in the A-Team van, blowing stuff up, punching out drug dealers, pityin' fools, kicking dinosaurs, smashing robots, and teaching life lessons to kids... then yes, Greatest Game Ever Made.

Rakuen
03-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Backstory is not a valid complaint. Some of the greatest written works of all time start in medias res, including Homer's works and the Aeneid.

Once upon a time I had a bookmark to a site that analyzed the entire story in depth against major archetypes of the past. It was very informative, and while in all likelihood it's impossible to attribute all of the influences into the game, at least some of them had to be there. It's a pity I can't find it anymore. :(

caramelslice
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Is the game hyped to hell and back? Yeah, sure. But it doesn't stop it from being a great game that's worthy of at a playthrough. Hype is a blinding factor to people who don't want to 'conform' which in itself is a type of conformity. So quit it, play a game based off its actual merits, and not how many Mary Sue/Gary Stu fanfictions have erupted from it.
Agreed.

Final Fantasy VII was my introduction to the FF series, and a great introduction at that. I've played IX, X, and X-2 also, so among the FF games I've played, I enjoyed VII the most making it my favorite Final Fantasy. Of course, I'd like to play the older games someday - maybe I'll find my new favorite FF among them.

But like a few others have said, I found the characters to be pretty likeable. Then again, I first played this when I was in elementary school and I was just getting into RPGs - I was an easily-influenced little girl, so I was immediately attached to the characters of most of the RPGs I played around that time XD

Oculin
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I liked FF7 but it wasn't my favorite. I Think over hyping creates the exact opposite as well. So theres people who think its the best gmae ever and those who will shoot it down saying it wasnt very good.. like me lol.
I liked FF7 alot, good game, but i personally just felt FFVI and FFV were better. That could just be that by the timte i beat FF7 It was already so blown up in popularity i just kind of under looked at it i guess.

Qmiser
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I have never played FF7, nor any other Final Fantasy other than 3 DS (which I got solely because I never owned a FF game before). So I really have no say in it, but if I ever get to play FF7, I have no expectations of it being the "godly" game everyone says it is.

Kilgard
06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
For anyone that owns a PS3 and hasn't played this yet it's now available for $9.99 USD, 1.3gigs of polygonal goodness all yours thanks to PSN :o

SuperPaperNess
06-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Just like some other people, I haven't played FFVII. Mostly because I never owned a PS1. I have seen a lot of videos and comments about it, and it seems pretty overrated for what it is. It's not Halo overrated, but it's up there. From what I've seen from Baltes, FFVIII seems superior. It still looks pretty good, so I'm interested in getting it once I have a PS3.

NSB
06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
People are just [g**] for Sephiroth. :P

I'm a guy, an I swear by that game.

Let me start off by saying: IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE! A lot of people will not enjoy it, because, let's face it, the story is mediocre, the graphics are sub par for the time, The game play can be stiff, and there is little replay value.

BUT, It is still one of the best games on e the PS1 and even had a really well done PC port. I grew up with it, and still can play through the thing with a smile on my face.

BlackExcalibur
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I really liked the game the first time I played it but I've never been able to sit through it since. The story is pretty mediocre and I don't think Sephiroth is the great villain everyone says he is. The party also tends to do a lot of stupid things ("Hey we got the Black Materia!" "Great, what now?" "Let's take it right to Sephiroth's front door!" "Okay!").

It was good for it's time, but not really anymore.

ruemaster
06-24-2009, 02:17 AM
I think a lot of the demand came from first 3-D Graphics, same as when Final Fantasy X came out for PS2, those graphics were insanely good, and it still is. We went crazy. I think FFVII still deserve the attention it has gotten when it first came out. I love the gameplay, characters. Story was good in my opinion. *I think it was also the first and only final fantasy so far to use the F word lol. (They blocked it out with symbols)* But amazing game.

Kilgard
06-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Here's my opinion...

Is the game really all that great? yes and no.

Gameplay wise, it's nothing special. The translation is probably the worst I've ever seen... "You get final elixer!" but when you open your menu and find out that this item dosn't exist but you did get an extra mega elixir... or when your breeding chocobos and you have to feed it greens that arn't in the game... well they are but not with the given name :/

The story is nothing special, and the game it's self is very unfinished. There is matera in the game files that was never added, there is a lot of mystery around aeris that isn't really fleshed out, and there are just a lot of story bits that are only explained through speculation or story lines that just hit a brick wall.

Also the only thing that makes the characters different is there limit breaks, otherwise they're all just clones.

With that said this is still a great game, the limit break system was a great feature for the time, matera although annoying did give you some options to play the game in different ways.

The graphics for there time were ground breaking displays of what the PS1 could do with it's graphics, and it was one of the most beautiful games ever made when it was released. I remember getting it for christmas and sitting there in front of the TC in awe at how amazing this game looked.

There are hours worth of sidequests in this game, there are 100's of peices of matera to gather, and lastly gold saucer offers the best mini game ever! Snowboarding.

If you pick up this game today, you're probably not going to think it's the best game ever made, but if you played it when it first came out it's the memories of playing this game. But with out FF7 and it's sales, we here in the western world probably wouldn't be playing the awesome RPGs we are today, we would still be getting the odd dumbed down RPG that SCEA, Nintendo, or Squenix thought us crazy americans can handle.

I know there are a ton of typos and grammer errors in this rant, but it's late and i'm to tired to proof read it, so I'm sorry in advance :x

Oculin
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Here's my opinion...

"You get final elixer!"

I know there are a ton of typos and grammer errors in this rant, but it's late and i'm to tired to proof read it, so I'm sorry in advance :x
I found one!
D: jking

BlueBlazer
06-24-2009, 10:02 AM
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/106451/Sephiroth-killing-aerith_qjgenth.jpg

Funniest part in the whole game right here.

Rakuen
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Also the only thing that makes the characters different is there limit breaks, otherwise they're all just clones.
Zeroing in on this point. This is more a consequence of a battle system that doesn't (or can't) take advantage of each characters unique stat growths. If you level every character to 99 and then strip them of everything, you'll see that their stats vary by a pretty good degree. Cloud outranks everyone in Strength, Barret outranks everyone in Vitality by a WIDE margin, Red XIII and Yuffie lead everyone in Speed, and so on. The problem is the engine can't do anything with this. What does Cloud's 10 point advantage in Magic mean? Ultima hits for 60 more damage. That's nothing. You can't make enough of a difference with a few extra stat points in a battle system with a damage/health cap and which forces EVERYTHING to stop for every command.

This is why FFX-2 and FFXII are so superior in the battle department: simultaneous commands are possible, and stats are tweaked down so they can have more of an effect.

Gwellin
06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm a guy, an I swear by that game.

Let me start off by saying: IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE! A lot of people will not enjoy it, because, let's face it, the story is mediocre, the graphics are sub par for the time, The game play can be stiff, and there is little replay value.

BUT, It is still one of the best games on e the PS1 and even had a really well done PC port. I grew up with it, and still can play through the thing with a smile on my face.
So, nostalgia? That's all the game means to you? My argument is that nostalgia is the only reason for most people's love of the game. Then why do they all think it is better than any other game they are nostalgic for?

Ruju
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I told myself I wouldn't post in this topic till I actually beat the game (never got around to it, always stopped just at the end cause I know what happens) I started that about a week ago and haven't picked it up. This could mean something or the MGS just made me too excited >_>

I'm sure nostalgia is a big factor, but also for me, I love to dwell over events and FF7 has a lot to dwell on. 'How terrible must it have been for Cloud to find out he's not who he thought he was?' or 'What was it like to look up to someone and have them become something evil, and kill someone dear to you?'

A lot of movies/games/animes have these questions, and I guess it depends if you care enough about the character to even ask them.

I dunno, I'm a writer, and analyzing such things just interests me because there can be so many answers and people have different opinions.

But, I'll try to actually finish the game before I decide if it's really worth its name.

lielie
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I never played any of the ps FF games. When i first saw it at a friends house I was a lil turned off by the "VII" Sorta like looks cool but i want to play the first 6 before this one :ugeek:

Kyown
07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/106451/Sephiroth-killing-aerith_qjgenth.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAe216dj6X8

now it's even funnier! _awesome_

CaptainYoYo1996
07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Ima try out FFVII after im done with IV. Im new to the series.

Ledjar
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM
With the exception of the long and dragging midgar part of the game FF7 is fantastic, its nice and long and the plot is one of the better Final Fantasy games. With a graphical update and voice acting i think i'd add a lot to the game. But given when it came out i still feel that its quite good. i definitely enjoyed it for 97 hours.

Ledjar
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM

try 6 its fantastic.

Smaddy
07-24-2009, 06:48 PM
try 6 its fantastic.
I'll second that.

FF7 Best Game Ever? It's a good game, but not the best. My opinion is basically: it was a lot of people's first exposure to an RPG and it stuck. There were a lot of contributing factors to its popularity including- the "updated" graphics, the marketing behind it, how it was movie-like, and how Square was with Sony at the time and had carte blanche to do whatever (as opposed to Nintendo, who wouldn't even allow the words Holy or Death to appear in the American games).

I don't want to get into specifics about FF7s plot so as to not spoil it for anyone, but the more I've looked at it, the more I realize how FF7's plot isn't so original. It's extremely similar to FF6, down to the character types. Even the whole concept of Jenova is very similar to Lavos from Chrono Trigger. And THE Aeris scene? Yes, it's sad... but I once saw someone say, "the first time [that's] happened in a game". All I could think was- someone hasn't played many pre-FF7 RPGs! :lol:

I think FF7 contributed a lot to games, though. Certainly it drove RPGs and videogames to being mainstream and popular. At the time, its graphics were groundbreaking- even today, some of the rendered backgrounds are still gorgeous. The music is very good. The storyline is good, it holds up over time (aside from what I mentioned above).

Rubberduckzilla
07-24-2009, 08:07 PM
My opinion is basically: it was a lot of people's first exposure to an RPG and it stuck.

qft. It was the first RPG I played, I remember reading the blurb on the case and it put a special emphasise on the 'now in 3D!' which I guess appealed to the previous fanbase. Here in the UK, I haven't heard of anybody liking Final Fantasy before 7. It was a real eye-opener, failed in comparison to VIII (as the 'second sequel' usually does) and will remain a classic in my eyes forever.

Razlu
07-24-2009, 09:42 PM
It's a good game yes and some of the most memorable characters but its a over hyped game

while i have yet to play FFIX VIII is still my favorite FF game

Munin
07-25-2009, 05:44 PM
7 was groundbreaking in the genre, not just for the graphical enhancments, additon of cutscenes, but also storyline depth, gameplay adjustments and a few others. The introduction of a "damaged" main character like Cloud was rare to say the least in the gameing community.

The psychological torment he undergoes as Sephiroth leads him on as well as the development he goes through as he slowly discovers the truth behind his past was rarley seen in a game. Character development taking the front row to political/world development, was kinda scarce, with the one exception being FF4 that i can come up with on the top of my head.

That being said, while it deserves respect for the things it began as well as really opening the rpg market to the mainstream western gaming community. There are many a game that have come out after FF7 that have surpassed it in almost each respective area. Personally I think just about every FF after it has improved upon the formula, with some noticable exception. (FF8 for example, I love it, but wtf junction system.)

FF9 is the best one in my opinion, but thats really biased cause im a fan of the old school fantasy setting.

Armedius
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
My personal preference has always been FF6 over 7. While I don't have the same appreciation for it that many do, I also didn't play that as my first RPG, that award would go to FF1, which I do find is an awesome game. I personally liked what Smaddy said, that the 'first exposure' to the genre through FF7 is what makes people enjoy it so much. By the time 8 came out, 7 was already a spectacular success and the marketing reflected that. If you didn't play 7 first, the design would look really weak by comparison.

If you compare 7 directly to 8 or 9, it doesn't look good. The graphics are, for lack of a better word, crappy. The storyline isn't as deep as the others (although I personally liked the post-industrial setting in Midgar that you didn't see too much to that point), and character development was very limited in many cases. As a stand-alone game though, it's a respectable title, a lot of the stuff in there was very good. I loved the music for the game, and the materia system was very well designed as well.

I think the rampant fanboyism that is demonstrated towards the game makes people overly critical of it as well. I don't think there are many people here who haven't seen about 18-25 'sepphiroth' clones over the years. Minimum. Honestly, if everyone is telling me how awesome x video, x commercial, x song, etc are, I'm going to be more critical of it than I otherwise was. It's not conscious, but I do it anyhow.

CactusChef
07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
IMO, FFVII is good. It was my introduction to the Final Fantasy series, but as I played more and more of the FF series, other games supplanted it as the best game in series (i.e. VI, IV, IX, Tactics, X). I don't mind people liking FFVII as their favorite, but I just find it silly if their main argument for liking it is it's their first exposure to FF.

FFVII does have its merits. I like the Materia system. It's fairly simple enough to use with some advanced features to learning how to combine materia for added effect. The music is decent. Loved the battle music (not so much One-Winged Angel). It has a decent cast of characters and fun mini-games.

To me, does it have the best graphics? No. Best story? No. Best gameplay? No. Best music? No. But I still claim that it's a good game in its own right. It's just not the best game ever.

StandAlone3
07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm actually currently in my 1st play through of FFVII and so far it's been a very good game, but It's graphics make it Kind of hard to play, but yeah, I plan to play FF8 and FF9 afterwards, or at the same time

celescole
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I first played FFVII a few years back. For the past 3 years after I played that game, I started going on a hating rage XD.... with fanboys, the movie, the spinoffs, THE NOVELS... etc. Well I got over them and played FFVII again. It's all right... it still needs work as it is unfinished. The ending is the worse in the series, not only that but it leads to a movie that makes as much sense as water and dirt mixed together in a bowl (or a rock... a rock Cloud can't defeat). Sigh... there are better games out there.

FFVI
FFIV
FFIX
FFV
SMRPG
Chrono Trigger
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy Mysti- no, I'm joking.

But the list goes on and on and on~... Into a void which ExDeath used... long before...

Smaddy
07-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I first played FFVII a few years back. For the past 3 years after I played that game, I started going on a hating rage XD.... with fanboys, the movie, the spinoffs, THE NOVELS... etc. Well I got over them and played FFVII again. It's all right... it still needs work as it is unfinished. The ending is the worse in the series, not only that but it leads to a movie that makes as much sense as water and dirt mixed together in a bowl (or a rock... a rock Cloud can't defeat). Sigh... there are better games out there.
It was kind of similar for me. I played it back in 1997, before I had internet *gasp*, and really before anyone realized what a big deal it was. (IIRC it wasn't immediately hailed as BEST GAME EVAR, not until a little later.) Once I experienced the rabid fans firsthand, I had to distance myself from it, and started hating it because of how some fans acted.

This is why I never saw Advent Children until very recently. And going back and looking at the actual game itself helped, and I appreciate it for what it is. I don't think the added FF7 materials added anything to the original game whatsoever. If anything, it's created an epic list of continuity issues. It's nice eyecandy, anyhow, and it was fun to hear them speak-- well... for the most part.

I think the big problem with FF7's graphics, for me, is the design of the "chibi" characters (the smaller sized characters you guide around the various dungeons, as opposed to the more life-sized characters seen in battle). First, their very basic design and bright colors often make them stand out like cartoons on very realistic backgrounds. And secondly, their small size always made me think of them as little kids. :lol: Third, I found most of the SNES sprites more expressive than the FF7 sprites/chibis. FF6 and Chrono Trigger had very expressive characters.

DrewStern
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
the movie is good, but i hate rpgs, with the exception of pokemon and earthbound.

SelecaoIX
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm re-playing FF7, and I have to say, I'm addicted again. It deserves 'most' of its praise.

lionheart91
07-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Honestly, it might not be as great as it's made out to be, but it is a great game. It gets a whole lot of praise, and it deserves almost all of it. It was THE game that made RPGs popular outside of Japan.

chrismog2
07-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Compared to the rest of the FF games, FFVII is decidedly mediocre... At a turning point when the series should have brought together elements from all of its past successes, it dropped all originality and much of the defining quirks from its characters (where FFVI excelled); the skill/magic system took a significant step backward (tried in FFIII, perfected in FFV); and the scope/diversity of the world once you leave Midgar seems far too lifeless and not very charismatic (unlike FFIV's diverse locales). That being said, it is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, and "mediocre" in the field of Final Fantasy games still puts it ahead of 90-95% of other RPGs. Replaying it nowadays, the dialogue seems so primitive and the battle animations leave much to be desired, but it's still worth playing.

Smaddy
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Compared to the rest of the FF games, FFVII is decidedly mediocre... At a turning point when the series should have brought together elements from all of its past successes, it dropped all originality and much of the defining quirks from its characters (where FFVI excelled); the skill/magic system took a significant step backward (tried in FFIII, perfected in FFV); and the scope/diversity of the world once you leave Midgar seems far too lifeless and not very charismatic (unlike FFIV's diverse locales). That being said, it is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, and "mediocre" in the field of Final Fantasy games still puts it ahead of 90-95% of other RPGs. Replaying it nowadays, the dialogue seems so primitive and the battle animations leave much to be desired, but it's still worth playing.
I think the characters themselves are pretty good, but the problem I always had was that once they got into battle it didn't really matter who you used. Aside from their Limit Breaks, there really was no difference who you had. I prefer the other FFs where you had to have a specific character in your party to be allowed to use certain abilities- ex: Locke in your party to be able to Steal or have Kain in your party to be able to Jump, etc. And the real kicker was, if you had levelled up Materia, it was interchangeable... so it wasn't even like if you got a new character, they'd have to wait to get the higher-up abilities!

The Materia system actually was pretty interesting if you knew how to strategically set it up. I've seen some pretty hilarious "Counter with..." combinations. Liked it more than the Draw system of FF8.

FF7's world was decently diverse... if anything I'd just say it was too small in terms of places to explore. There *are* optional sidequests, but they're all mostly very small. Most of them consist of, "ride this special Chocobo to this location, enter one-room cave, grab the Materia. End." The only optional dungeons are the Ancient Forest and the Gelnika, really. So once you get to the end I feel like there isn't much to do.

Snowy620
07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
I like it the most because the materia system made the game feel a little bit mire customizable.

DusNine
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't really know if I have anything more to add that hasn't been said in this seemingly incredibly polarizing topic. I think FF7 is a great game, though I don't think any game could live up to the hype that is shoved upon it. I enjoyed the characters and story more than I have in any of the Final Fantasy games since 7, and it's combat system didn't annoy as much as FF8's did.

I don't really care for Nomura's work since then, the pinnacle of my distaste for it being FFX, I mean Tidus with the asymetrical overalls and the jacket he must have stolen from a small child coupled with Meg Ryan's hair, I don't know. And Cowboy Irvine? Yeah, he really fit in to FF8s cast. but I digress, I think its all an issue of what people like.

I think the problem for Final Fantasy 7 these days is it's being compared to its own hype. A mythical perfect RPG that doesn't exist. If you compare it to any of the other playstation RPGs of the time period, for example, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, etc. I think it still stands above the competition.

Not the best game ever, but not the most overrated game ever.
Which happens to be Halo, yes I said it. Maybe the most overrated RPG, only because it's hype is massive. I think my point is, I love FF7 despite it's flaws, it's story just appeals more to me, and story is really the strong suit of RPGs.

SilverShadows
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
I feel that a good portion of people tend to hate FF7, simply because more people like it.

Sure, the graphics aren't that good, but this was a game that was most noticed for its story. The translation of the game was bad, yeah, but digging deeper, the story was the best part of it. The materia usage was well off too and it added new elements to the gameplay.

FF7 is probably my favorite game simply because of the story. No other FF drew me in as much as 7 did, and I could care less about the graphic quality. X was good, but the game rubbed me the wrong way most times. I didn't mind 9, and 8 was a favorite of mine also, but less so. There isn't a Final Fantasy game that I truly dislike, but my personal opinion leaves me in favor of 7.

I grew attached to the characters and the growth of them. I recall thinking, "YES" every time I would run into the Turks because I was expecting more forwarding of the plot. I remember traveling through the Temple of the Ancients and running into Tseng on the ground. I love the concept of Jenova and manipulating genes and what-not.

I'm a writer, so I suppose I tend to take nothing for granted. It certainly wasn't a bad game, and I do agree that there's a hype for it that's unneeded, but judging it simply because you can't stand all the talk about it, is not something that the game deserves.

Being a fan of it for a long time, my opinion is probably one of the most biased, and I accept that. But I do strongly believe that this game deserves a chance, and I agree that it was a turning point for RPGs. It might not be the best because the genre has/is being perfected, but it did bring about the change...

Carnage
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
FF1 = FF7

Squeenix ran out of money yet again, so they had to rush the game out, which is why it seems such poor quality compared to FF8. I think the game is fantastic but a little bit too overrated, and because of that it underrates many of the other Final Fantasies, such as FFIII, FFIV, FFV, and FFIX to name a few. Final Fantasy VII really is all that great, however it overshadows the other Final Fantasies.

celescole
08-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't like FFVII because it bored the crap out of me and it's battle system was the most stupid to date. Materia? You could abuse that system to death. At least in FFVI you had to LEARN skills.

Araman
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
The short answer: No.

The slightly longer answer: No, it's not. It just happens to be the entry point into the RPG genre for many many people, making the whole genre accessible to the Western gaming masses. Prior to that, RPGs went largely under the radar in the West, while being immensely popular in Eastern markets.

As a game, FF7 is mediocre. As a gaming landmark, it's the Grand Canyon of RPGs.

CloudZen
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Final Fantasy VII, in my opinion, is not the best, although a good, entry in the franchise for a few reasons.

On the positive side, Final Fantasy VII has flawed characters. By this I mean, you don't have a "Hero of Justice" that can do no wrong. You have more human characters, Cloud, Tifa, Barrett, Red XIII(Nanaki), Aeris, Cid, Yuffie, Vincent, and even Cait Sith(the one most fans refuse to admit exists) all have flaws and pasts that you learn about that explain their actions. Also, the story, while not a traditional Final Fantasy story, is engrossing for many fans. The graphics at the time were special, particularly the FMVs, although not anymore. I will interject that I would personally play a game with less than stellar graphics if it was fun to play for any number of reasons. Finally, the battle system, with is customization through materia and the Limit Break system gave the battles variety that made them slightly less repetitive than most previous entries.

On the negative, the battle system. The materia system, allowed for customization, but the characters became indistinguishable except for the limit breaks. Add in the few programming glitches where a good chunk of the armor became useless and the battles were very limited because there were not many differing strategies that were practical. Also, the graphic, another positive are a negative, as the game was rushed and was subject to ridicule at the time of release due to the odd proportions of the characters.

There are a few other points I could go on about, but in short, everything we feel about the game is opinion. When you consider when the game came out, it was beautiful, grand and epic, although arguable more or less than its predecessors. Now days, it is easily surpassed by most games released, in series or out. Every flaw that it had, from the battle system to the graphics to the potentially excessive femeninization of Sephiroth, was a stepping stone that was learned from.

I enjoyed the game when it came out, and still enjoy it now. It is great for what it is, a middle aged game that was a stepping stone to a new generation. Beyond that, keep an open mind and remember that nostalgia plays a large role in people's opinions.

Oculin
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Cait Sith(the one most fans refuse to admit exists)
I really don't remember charcters i liked or Disliked in Final Fantasy 7, its been so long.

But i did play dirge of Cerberus recently and Cait Sith did become my favorite because

[spoiler:3h7xsu2j]Reeve is just awesome.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/oculin/Reeve.jpg[/spoiler:3h7xsu2j]

I also really liked Reno and Rude in Advent Children. Don't remember much about them in the actual game though.

BeastingYouForever
08-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I just feel that Final Fantasy VII was rushed after they left Midgar. Everything after that was just... not the same as in the beginning? Maybe it's just me

Luigi110
08-15-2009, 06:23 PM
FFVII is a pretty good RPG. It's not the best like a lot of people say it is.

I love the battle system and Materia system.

The story was good.

Looked awful except for the battles.

I played VII a lot, but I'm hooked more on VIII even though I'm not a fan of VIII's battle system.

StealthKnight1
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
It was my first Final fantasy beside the gaidens for the gameboy. I liked it but I got it because i enjoyed the demo. I don't think it's the best but it's far from a bad game. just badly overrated that hurts it's image. Wasn't FFX also overrated or is it just me. I did know a girl who was obsessed with Auran's lip-syching.

ZachD
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Well there is no doubt that FF7 is a great game, but definatley not the best game ever. I think that the reason why the "best game ever" thing came up in 1997 was because a good chunk of the North American was not familar with turn based RPGs. So take a turn based RPG, through in 3d polygons on high res pre-rendered graphics (which i think have a nice nostalgic charm to it) and epic story and fully cgi cutscenes, you get a greatly polished game expierience, that was sorta fresh for some people. Now remember, FF7 has been copied gajillions of times, And it already used a pretty generic battle system, that was used again and again and again in previous Final Fantasy's. Heck, you still used the finger to point! Alot of PSX games haven't aged well, espeacially compared to modern titles. Just look at Metal Gear Solid for PS1. It was aMAZING when it came out. But compare it to MGS4. See what I what i mean by not aging well? We see this happeneing today too. Making a new game with generally the same gameplay, getting a new story, new online features. I can bet we will be saying "Is Call of Duty 4/ Halo 3 all that great?" 10 years from now. Thats my 2 cents.

marioyo5
09-06-2009, 12:31 PM
i think it is the best final fantasy and is on my top 10 game list.

HKPhooey
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
It's a pretty good game, though when I first got it, I also got Final Fantasy tactics, and I preferred Tactics to VII; but, I still found VII great, engrossing game, the graphics were so awesome at the time (at least for me and my sister, because we were just coming off of SNES), the storyline and characterization was darker and grittier than any previous Final Fantasies I had played, it was an amazing experience at the time. It's not my favorite Final Fantasy (FFVI and Tactics are), but it was the game that introduced many, many people to RPGs and brought the genre out from the domain of D&D nerds and Dragon Warriors geeks and into the mainstream; as such, it's a major milestone in the development of RPGs and console video gaming, and an important game, and it doesn't hurt that it's a pretty fun game to play; unfortunately, it developed for itself a very annoying, very embarassing fanbase.

BeastingYouForever
09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
No one has to agree with me, this is just an opinion ^o^.

What made Final Fantasy VII great was that it's development of characters, the everlasting music, and it's remarkable story. There were many major moments in the game such as the FMV scene at the end of Disc 1, Cloud's realization in the Lifestream with Tifa, and many more.

Now you said that graphically-wise FF7 wasn't par to your tastes. Keep in mind that the game was one of the first to be in 3D. It make look like "blagh!", but people need to get past the graphics for each game. ^_^

-Don't FLAME =)

lewigi2012
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I think one thing about the graphics is due to the fact it was originally going to be released on SNES but they decided to go 3D so started to make it for N64. N64 cartridges were too small so they opted for Playstation instead (and it still ends up being 3 discs long ;P)

Cracklestar
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
I got Final Fantasy 7 for my birthday in October of last year. I was excited. I'd ordered a Playstation 1 memory card, but it hadn't come in the mail at the time that the game arrived. I remember think, "Jeez, these discs look cool." I replayed the first hour of the game multiple times and read over everything in the instruction manual from front to back at least 5 times. If only the things I had to read about in school were this interesting. I was so excited. Then the memory card came in the mail. I'd read that the choices you make during dialog between the characters could change later events. I chose each of my answers carefully and worried about every single one. I loved the game. I had no problems with the graphics. I loved the characters.

After a week or two of fumbling through it, I stopped. I do this with games, pause in the middle. Hopefully I will pick it up again sometime soon. The amazing parts of the game are truly amazing. But some things are just not that great. A lot of the time you're not given a great sense of how to complete quests. 1 or 2 hours of my total playtime was probably spent walking back and forth between my room and the computer looking at guides. I just got to the Cave of the Gi over the weekend, because I started playing it again. It's really great, and I hope to continue it soon.

There's one problem. I found out in a Youtube video about how [spoiler:1yg179rb]Aeris dies[/spoiler:1yg179rb]

Now I'm playing through the game waiting for... the unspeakable. What is the point of spending money on equipment for this character? Should I bother to give them materia? So much suspense.

Regardless, the game was still worth getting, and I like it quite a bit. Mind you, I've never played a ps1 game before. My first console was the ps2. I played this game for the first time in 2009. Don't tell me that anything I've said should be disregarded because of, "The quality of the game, compared to other games, at the time."

Panda
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Holy necro, Batman! This thread is so ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllld.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game, but I don't think quite deserves the rabid fanbase that is has.

GrimsChild
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
In short, No.

Hookd_on_Foniks
03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought it was really good, but not "blow my mind awesome".
Not the best FF though...

Giraffesaredope
03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I liked it a lot, but I only just played it last summer after the FF marathon. The story didn't do much for me, but the materia system was awesome. I liked how each character had their own specific weapons, but you could customize everything else about them.

Slowflake
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Cracklestar: Regarding that spoiler...

[spoiler:3iko51cr]Materia&#39;s not that big a deal, since you can take them off anytime. Equipment, though? Yes, because even though after Midgar she&#39;s not forced into your party for a long time, she IS forced in the last dungeon before she leaves for good. So once you get the Tiny Bronco, it wouldn&#39;t be a bad idea to shop around. And Square even gives people who know what&#39;s going to happen a little incentive to use her, because in terms of limit breaks everything from Fury Brand onwards is incredible. Sure, they don&#39;t do outrageous damage like Cloud&#39;s, Barret&#39;s or Cid&#39;s ultimate limit breaks, but IMO they&#39;re just as useful, and Aeris is one of three characters who can get their ultimate limit break on disc 1. The other two are Red XIII and Yuffie, and there&#39;s a perfectly good reason why they can get it so early... because they need a brief time to shine. They&#39;re excellent in disc 1 and early disc 2, but they rapidly become garbage as your other characters&#39; limits catch up in terms of power.[/spoiler:3iko51cr]

corruptshin1990
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll admit, many people do say that Final Fantasy VII is considered to be a great game of it's time, but to be honest, I prefer Final Fantasy IX because it had that old-school game play style that I seemed to enjoy about it. Both VII and IX gave me that classic style of Final Fantasy feel, unlike Final Fantasy VIII (and this is only my opinion) where the game itself annoyed me to insanity. Something about the drawing, refining, and junction of magic that I just found tedious and time consuming. Plus the story in VIII is something I just couldn't bear. And again, this is all one man's opinion.

Shad
03-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I played it for the first time last year (didn't complete it though) and found it pretty good, not the best RPG ever like some say though.

Giraffesaredope
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Cracklestar: Regarding that spoiler...

[spoiler:2a80th1p]Materia&#39;s not that big a deal, since you can take them off anytime. Equipment, though? Yes, because even though after Midgar she&#39;s not forced into your party for a long time, she IS forced in the last dungeon before she leaves for good. So once you get the Tiny Bronco, it wouldn&#39;t be a bad idea to shop around. And Square even gives people who know what&#39;s going to happen a little incentive to use her, because in terms of limit breaks everything from Fury Brand onwards is incredible. Sure, they don&#39;t do outrageous damage like Cloud&#39;s, Barret&#39;s or Cid&#39;s ultimate limit breaks, but IMO they&#39;re just as useful, and Aeris is one of three characters who can get their ultimate limit break on disc 1. The other two are Red XIII and Yuffie, and there&#39;s a perfectly good reason why they can get it so early... because they need a brief time to shine. They&#39;re excellent in disc 1 and early disc 2, but they rapidly become garbage as your other characters&#39; limits catch up in terms of power.[/spoiler:2a80th1p]
[spoiler:2a80th1p]Yeah, in the time you have her Aerith is freaking amazing. You can load her up with that enemy skill, black magic and white magic and she&#39;s the best mage/summoner ever. It&#39;s a shame you don&#39;t have her the whole game, because she rocks the casbah.[/spoiler:2a80th1p]

Slowflake
03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, Cait Sith and Vincent make nice spellcasters as well, but not quite as good. Besides, I hate their limit breaks.

iKrys
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, it very much is.

Skeletor1991
04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
It's a good FF game....but not the best.

FFVI is by far the best in the entire series.

wee187
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Honestly, FFXII is my favorite. FFVII gets 5th best FF game, for me. However, it's still one of the best games ever made, IMO. I prefer FF12, 13, 8, and 9 to 7 and 10 but they've both had huge impacts on me as well.

I've never found a single FF game to be bad. Even the original FF, which is at the bottom of list, is still extremely enjoyable.

saj_61
06-22-2010, 05:26 AM
I've played most of the main series of FF (only ones I haven't played are XII, XI and one of the earlier ones (Think it maybe VI)) and think FFVII is the best FF. I think the reason I think its the best FF is because of JungleJim's Perfect Game guide. I really enjoyed completing a Level 7 Perfect game file. It's definitely my biggest achievement in gaming. I don't think I've ever put that much time into 1 game before and doubt I ever will put that much time into another game's single player. Also I enjoyed the challenges like Materia Only etc. on 7 more than others.

Is it over-rated/hyped? Probally. Main problem with over hyping is that you compare it to the hype and if it doesn't meet what is hyped then you don't enjoy it. (I did that with Scrubs which is a good show, just not as good as my friends made it out to be, which is why I used to hate it until I stopped comparing it to what my friends said).

Is it the most over-rated/hyped game of all time? No. I think that award definitely goes to Modern Warfare 2. I don't think I've hated a single player campaign more than MW2, it was absolutely aweful, especially the story. I also think that Bad Company 2 has a superior online gameplay. Some people say they only like free-for-all's, and personally I'd rather play free-for-all on Resistance: Fall of Man than MW2.

Over hyped or not the FF series is one of the best series out there.

Dementrious
06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Here's how great Final Fantasy VII is. I beat it once. I've tried to replay it multiple times, but it doesn't even hold my attention long enough to get past the first disc.

It's a good game with a silly plot and over rated characters. It's pretty much typical Final Fantasy fair. If typical means anything before PS2.

woopermario
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Not to say Final Fantasy 7 is a bad game, it's a good game, in it's own right. You really have to consider what that genre and video games altogether were like at that time, and how Final Fantasy 7 really just broke the barrier, as much as it could. That is probably one of the reason it is hyped so much. Very often, people judge it for those qualities, and are already in the mindset that it's a great game, so they automatically go through the game with that mindset, and judge it so. Now, that we're in this present day and age, it won't be a stretch whatsoever to say that it is NOT as good as everyone says it was, because playing it now, you don't have the mindset of "Wow, look how amazing this game LOOKS!" you simply have the mindset of "This sounds like a good RPG."

If you ask most people who played 7 back in the day, if they're just casual gamers, they're most probably going to say it was the best of the PlayStation 1 games. If you talked to a serious RPG player, they'll probably tell you it was a good game, but not the best one, simply a game that pushed the envelope, and, as a result, was overhyped to madness. Now, I don't claim to be a serious RPGer as I only REALLY got into those kinds of games a couple of years ago, but, as the owner of every Final Fantasy game ever made, I have to say that 9 was the only one that consistently held my attention, and always made it a joy to play, where as the others *sometimes* were a burden at some points.

That's not saying they're bad games, mind you. I simply think that Final Fantasy VII was too overhyped for what it was worth, and Final Fantasy IX was not hyped enough.

pants
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sure nostalgia is a big factor, but also for me, I love to dwell over events and FF7 has a lot to dwell on. 'How terrible must it have been for Cloud to find out he's not who he thought he was?' or 'What was it like to look up to someone and have them become something evil, and kill someone dear to you?'

A lot of movies/games/animes have these questions, and I guess it depends if you care enough about the character to even ask them.

I definitely agree that the game set you up to ask these questions. They left enough mystery to the characters and the story and didn't give a clear answer to some of these questions. In some of the other games, when you ask yourself about a characters experience, it's spelled out for you in the game. I think FFIX did this a little. But FF7 left the dark and twisty there with a veil over it. They also let the various characters react to the same experience in different ways. So to me, it's the characters that brought this game to life in a way that other FF games have not been.

Starting in media res and not always telling the whole story in game helped too, and this latter bit is part of why they've had plenty of other games that were able to fill in the gaps. I additionally appreciated Yuffie and Vincent being optional characters that had full fledged backstories to them, whereas other FF games (and other RPGs for that matter) have had non-optional characters whose backstory has fallen flat.

Sorry if that's a bit much, I study literature for a living...but if there's one thing that draws me back to this game over and over it's wanting to learn a bit more about the characters each time I replay.

Lindbum
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
K really disagree that it's the best in the series. Of course without it the U.S.
wouldn't have a great idea of the wonderous-ness that is an RPG! But no it's certainly not the best in the series.

Spuggy
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
FF7 was/is a good game, alot of people considered it to be some sort of ''masterpiece''.....It became overrated quickly...Advent Children, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus which are all related to FF7 are good stuff....Well Advent Children being a movie....Crisis Core on PsP and Dirge of Cerberus being a movie with some part of a shooter game :D

but for the original question, I think FF7 was a great game back in the days, now its just a good RPG to add to a collection of Greatest Hits(Even better if you have the Black Label copy of it)

majko53
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, I still do have PSX from 1996 or so and I do have all FF's for PSX (though I've recently bought 2nd 7 and 8 and 3rd 9 because older got lost by my dear friends or just aren't working anymore) and I have to say that 7 is really overrated by everybody I know (dunno if they played it first in which case i do understand it's same with me and 9 or what) I really don't care about graphics (I would be playing games with better graphic for years but I just prefer old and good games before new games just released for consumers and money) I've played all available for PSX through over and over and over for years now, with all possible character combinations, with all handicaps i could imagine (lowest lvl possible, just one character, under x hours or replay, 0 saves, only physical attacking) and i never actually got bored from playing (and there were times where I sat 5+ hours a day farming Yans 'till i got 99 for everyone...). My point is that I really know all of them and if it was to me to make a list of FF's it would be like:
1. 9
2. 6
3. 7
4. 8
5. Anthologies
6. others (I really can't really choose it was hard to make top 3:P)
I would say that I have favorite characters before games, so before choosing a FF to play I'm deciding which combination of characters I would rather play with which setup before choosing which FF I would rather play....

Marche100
06-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Played it through once, did all of the side quests and stuff, and that was it.

In my opinion, it's really great on your first playthrough. It's a good, fun Final Fantasy game, but after your first run through it just doesn't seem all that great anymore. Try to play it again after you beat it once and it's just really hard to do. I don't know why, but it just is.

Back on topic, people are right, it's not all that great. It just seems that way when you're playing through it the first time and taking in all of the "greatness" of it.

I will say though, Emerald Weapon is the coolest and scariest superboss ever. Who wouldn't freak out about a massive powerful creature in the ocean who roams it endlessly, waiting for foolish people in submarines to come along so it can crush them long before the 20 minute time limit is up. Funny thing is, it's actually creepier to think about him after you beat him (I should know, I beat him.)

90HeroMAXD
06-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Same here, never owned a PS1 so never played FF 7, but I did get a chance to play FF7 not really that great I would say.

jda091
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I got the chance to get a PS1 copy a couple years back and played it on my PS2 (after hours of painstaking work on getting it to play to begin with) and yeah, I can see why it was rather revolutionary at the time. It was an enjoyable experience. I'll call it a great game, but I just don't think of it as THAT great.

SaintElistan86
06-23-2010, 03:13 AM
I hate when people use the word nostalgia, but that's really where most of the love for this game comes from. It was innovative, but every FF that followed improved upon the formula. Even FFVIII...which I know I'll be in the minority when I say that I like it probably more than any other Final Fantasy (Tactics Aside).

Chibi_Roo
06-23-2010, 03:54 AM

It just needs Cid stabbing Sephiroth on top of that. That would be perfect.

I really hate Sephiroth. It's the hair. I don't know why. And my best friend is obsessed with her "Sephy." -_- Any opportunity I get I diss him just to make her mad.

I like the game, I wont lie. But I agree with a lot of you. It's not the best Final Fantasy game in the series. I used to have no issues with it at all, but the more I heard from fan kiddies, the more I got annoyed. Half of them don't even know what they are talking about. And I guess Square figured out that Cloud was annoying in the game, so they turned him into a Squall clone in Advent Children.

Chibi_Roo
06-23-2010, 03:55 AM
I hate when people use the word nostalgia, but that's really where most of the love for this game comes from. It was innovative, but every FF that followed improved upon the formula. Even FFVIII...which I know I'll be in the minority when I say that I like it probably more than any other Final Fantasy (Tactics Aside).

IV and VIII are my two favorites. :)

majko53
06-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Yes same here... I don't get it, what is so hawt about Sephiroth? It's leather coat or that Masamune or long white hair? Or just background music he have? :D In my opinion Vincent is way cooler than Sephiroth and there are Cid and Red and Barret and after Advent Children I'm really liking Reno too....

06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I've always loved the game. Don't know why. At one point I used to play it once a year but its been so long since I've played it. I'm not saying its the best in the series. I do believe its one of the best but not THE best. For the honor of the best in the series I'd give that to 4 or 6. When I say this keep in mind I've only played 1-7 (Haven't finished 5 yet though) and 12.

norborb
06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
You know usually when a group of people find a game overrated, I am the first one to agree with them. Maybe I just get annoyed by die hard fans way to easily.
I actually really liked FF7. It is one of my favorite Final Fantasy's for sure. I mean, some people say it is the best one by far or the only one worth playing. I think most if not all of the Final Fantasy games are really good, especially when you stack them up to the more average RPGs out there. If you compare FF7 to lets say, Jade Cocoon (if there are Jade Cocoon fans out there I am sorry for picking on your game, it's just an RPG on the PS1 that popped into my head), the craftsmanship of FF7 really shows. If you only compare FF7 other amazing RPGs, it doesn't seem that special.

CadelDusk
06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I've only played FFIV, but I really enjoyed that one despite no one ever really talking about it. But since I haven't played FFVII, it isn't fair for me to give an opinion.

Farplane
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
In my opinion, it's really great on your first playthrough. It's a good, fun Final Fantasy game, but after your first run through it just doesn't seem all that great anymore. Try to play it again after you beat it once and it's just really hard to do. I don't know why, but it just is.

This pretty much sums it up. It's incredible the first time, but after the exhaustion of finishing it, trying to replay just seems like a chore. Unlike the other 3D Final Fantasy games, FF7 seems too shallow to me. In Final Fantasy 8 and 9, there were many places to go, things to do, people to meet, and so on, but in Final Fantasy 7 it just felt like go here, do this, repeat. Still a great game, though, and one of the best soundtracks of all time

(of aww time.)

loki456
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAe216dj6X8

now it's even funnier! _awesome_

This is much better with the vuvuzela horn on.

Anyway's for me FFVII set the bar for a great mix of game mechanics, story, characters, and end game play (weapons). For someone who had played the previous installments of the series and most other well know RPG games up until its release, I found myself very entertained with the game. As peoples idea of a great game can be somewhat subjective I think to really appreciate how good of a game was you have to look at it as what it was at its release.

Up until that point the "greatest" RPG I had played was a toss up between Chrono Trigger and FFVI. However once I got into VII I knew right away square had done it again. The pseudo 3d look was interesting, although it did not contribute to what made the game so great for me. It was more a combination of the streamlined battle system, unique feeling Materia, The cutsecenes that Square has become increasingly reliant on, and the personality of the main characters. Not to mention how much there was to do outside the linear story arch.

I have since played better games each one raising the bar a bit higher for me. Not long after VII came VIII and Vagrant Story ( One of my all time favorite games), and many other titles to this point that I would consider overall better games. I do not believe any of these would be as good as they are if they had no capitalized on some of the great aspects that VII brought together.

I do not think it is possible for someone now, to pick up the game and truly get the the same feeling they might have had playing it at it's release but it is worth trying just to see what all the fuss is about.

1stclassJosh
07-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I guess it depends on the person and when one played the game that determines its greatness in one's eyes. Seeing how it was the first video game I ever owned and I had never heard any of the hype it was incredible.

Even to this day I still have a fondness for the story (which I feel people who haven't played the game all the way through have no right to criticize.) Granted, the gameplay isn't as good as some of the others in the series I still liked how in depth the materia system can get once you start learning how to combo materia. The fighting styles of the characters weren't unique but they each had their own backstories and circumstances for why they were fighting so it wasn't as if they weren't discernable in that aspect.

I'm an FF7 fanboy but I'm not going to say it's better than any game ever made, even if it is my favorite. _awesome_

Chibi_Roo
07-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Here's my license plate that I've had for almost 2 years. It was supposed to be a reference to my love for Kain and Cid, but then it just slowly shifted to the airship. Cause that's what people usually think of when they see Highwind. >.> I ended up getting a frame that reads "My other ride is the Ragnarok."

[spoiler:30wm3c0e]http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_8ef74d9e571046bf9fa7a0685723739b.jpg[/spoiler:30wm3c0e]

1stclassJosh
07-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Here's my license plate that I've had for almost 2 years. It was supposed to be a reference to my love for Kain and Cid, but then it just slowly shifted to the airship. Cause that's what people usually think of when they see Highwind. >.> I ended up getting a frame that reads "My other ride is the Ragnarok."

[spoiler:1v5rsztp]http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_8ef74d9e571046bf9fa7a0685723739b.jpg[/spoiler:1v5rsztp]

Lol nice license plate man that's awesome.

MultipurposeGamer
07-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I like Final Fantasy VII. I'm going to be doing a speedrun of it during the forum created August marathon.

Chibi_Roo
07-04-2010, 09:42 PM

[spoiler:3nzytvyj]http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_8ef74d9e571046bf9fa7a0685723739b.jpg[/spoiler:3nzytvyj]

Lol nice license plate man that's awesome.

Thanks! :D

SalvadorW2
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm of the opinion that it's becoming overrated to say that FF7 is.. overrated.

Usually all you'll hear about the game these days is merely the fact that it's overrated, and hear nothing good about it.

I, however, do like it. Especially because of the fact that in order for someone to completely understand what's going on, they have to read between the lines in the plot (FF8 also did this to a lesser extent). This also why many people don't enjoy it as they wouldn't enjoy a book that they've just skimmed over - they haven't discovered all of themes and levels of meaning in it.

Similarly, FF7 was one of the first games to have this kind of plot, as well as being easy to pick up and play, while employing the next generation technology (however this wasn't fully utilized because it was rushed through production in the later stages). While they were still a good game reviewing website before they'd sold out, Gamespot said this about the game:

"Never before have technology, playability, and narrative combined as well as in Final Fantasy VII."

I completely agree with that. What does everyone else think?

Farplane
07-05-2010, 08:54 PM

This. Thank you so much. I've already stated my opinion on FF7 in this thread, but I'm glad someone else is picking up on this. Eventually the counterculture becomes the majority, basically what happened to hating on Twilight (when's the last time you've seen someone who actually likes Twilight without having to go out of your way to find them?)

Nintendofan622
09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I absolutely love 7, however, I don't think it's the best. X is my favorite final fantasy, with a tie for 2nd between VII and IX

wee187
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM

/post. The game itself is great. There are still some people who go overboard with fanboyism, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. And even when they were, they were overrated FFVII's image, not the game itself.

Eonis
09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I did love it. +1 FFVII weabo
it got me into RPGs a few years ago when I was more into platforming.