PDA

View Full Version : [Hardware]R4DS Review

Syrup
02-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Many of you might ask what a R4DS is and what it stands for. R4DS stands for Revolution for DS. It is a slot one card (NDS Cartridge). Its main purpose is to store content such as home brew games or "back-up" copies for your ds games. You also have the ability to add a save file to your favorite game. A useful method I've found was for Pokemon diamond I was able to acquire all Pokemon at level 90. You can run various homebrew apps such as an mp3 player, web browser, and homebrew games. You can get an R4DS for about 20-50 dollars. I would recommend this for any DS user as it can save you alot of money if you break a game you can use a "back-up" copy. I give it a 10/10 for its affordable, works well, and is made well. I mean what will you do if you somehow break your copy of Pokemon platinum you dont want to have it shipped in you can just use ur back up version that runs in English.

P.S. I plan on making a video review i would make one but its to late.

[Edit] 2/6/09 12PM I removed the links i plan on doing a video review which i will have links in the video its self ill edit when the link is up. Also always research any site before you buy an r4 many sell fake ones.

TheSpeedGamers
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I moved and unlocked this post.
I don't know why it was locked initially. The R4 is legal and you cleverly used "backup copy". Its a good way to enjoy mother 3 on a hand held imo. I personally use my psp.

CommentatorGuy
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Awesome syrup! I hope you make the video soon cuz I am actually pretty curious about it plus I think itd be pretty interesting to watch.

Keep up the awesome work syrup =)

localretard
02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Before people get any bright ideas...We do not promote piracy. We do not promote piracy hardware. We DO promote legal software and hardware.

The R4DS is legal although maybe not in Canada, which is why Gwellin may have initially moved it.

In the U.S, it is legal...BUT:

"It should be noted as other people have mentioned before that using R4DS device will void the warranty on your DS Lite."

Gwellin
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Regardless of legality, of which there is no stance in Canada, I am worried of what would happen should a Nintendo representative take an interested in TSG then see this topic, or one like it. Nintendo despises the R4 and is on a legal campaign in both Japan and the US against distributers of the devise.

That is why I had removed this topic. If anyone wants info on this or other such pieces of hardware they should use Google.

Kilgard
02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
It is a great review srgpyro, and I also feel it's a great tool for homebrew. The problem I have with the product is no one buys it to play homebrew games, and for the reason of it being legal but just barely I'm not sure if you should link directly to sites offering it.

So over all a great review of a product, but maybe edit out the URLS so it's not so people using it for the wrong reasons, or random passers by get a link to a reliable site. Besides if anyone is looking for one they can always PM for the site URL.

Sorry my train of thought went all over the place in that last paragraph.

MSico
02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Gwellin but syrup was careful to not directly promote piracy. I'd be interested in the R4DS if there were more homebrew stuff, currently all I've seen are small projects at http://dsdev.org.

Syrup
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for unlocking the topic britt xP. there are some good homebrew apps tho i can make some links if you'd want.

Syrup
02-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Before people get any bright ideas...We do not promote piracy. We do not promote piracy hardware. We DO promote legal software and hardware.

The R4DS is legal although maybe not in Canada, which is why Gwellin may have initially moved it.

"It should be noted as other people have mentioned before that using R4DS device will void the warranty on your DS Lite."
Sorry for the double post but im pretty sure its legal in canada because i bought mine from a store in canada lol

Kilgard
02-08-2009, 02:31 AM

Sorry for the double post but im pretty sure its legal in canada because i bought mine from a store in canada lol

The first line of Gwellin's post directly below local's says that it's legal in Canada, the rest of that post explains why it's a touchy subject and why as of right now the review is fine just be careful that your review isn't bragging about illegal uses for the hardware.

Syrup
02-08-2009, 04:57 AM
in my video review i do say things like that i dont support it, i dont like to do it. If i do illegally download a game it is that its either stolen, lost, or broken, or if its a game i want to just try it out.

MSico
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
or if its a game i want to just try it out.

Which is piracy. Yarrr

Aeronautical
02-08-2009, 04:00 PM
A bunch of my friends have one. I really think it's just a pirating device. Yeah, there's other stuff on it too like IRC and other junk but in the end it's still a pirating device. But, it is legal though o_O

Gwellin
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
A bunch of my friends have one. I really think it's just a pirating device. Yeah, there's other stuff on it too like IRC and other junk but in the end it's still a pirating device. But, it is legal though o_O
Well, technically they're probably in the same legal limbo as emulators. The emulator programs on their own do nothing wrong, however the game ROMs ripped from cartrages/discs are not legal to hold.

Aeronautical
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I really don't like the whole rom thing for it, I think it's basically stealing. But some of my friends just use it for IRC and other aps like that.

Ziggybomb
02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I personally think that the R4DS is a great device used for homebrew gaming and putting some apps on it. However, it turns into a pirating device when used for NDS roms and other emulators. But if I heard correctly from somewhere, the next generation DS will have a lockout for flash carts such as the R4 and M3.

Gwellin
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
But if I heard correctly from somewhere, the next generation DS will have a lockout for flash carts such as the R4 and M3.
For current flash cards. Some manufacturers have apparently found ways around it all ready, although Nintendo most assuredly will issue firmware updates in an attempt to circumvent any further methods.

Syrup
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
no matter wat piracy goes on for ever

Kilgard
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
no matter wat piracy goes on for ever

That was never the debate, yes piracy has always existed and will always exist in some way shape or form. The question was which side of fence does the R4DS land on.

On one hand like a gun it's not illegal to own, but like a gun it can be used for illegal acts. With that fact know the board is split on if the topic should be discussed here.

Luminary
02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
But if I heard correctly from somewhere, the next generation DS will have a lockout for flash carts such as the R4 and M3.
For current flash cards. Some manufacturers have apparently found ways around it all ready, although Nintendo most assuredly will issue firmware updates in an attempt to circumvent any further methods.

I'd also like to say that the homebrew community on Wii has found a way around firmware updates, as far as I know. They dissect Nintendo's updates, isolate and remove anti-homebrew software, and then issue an update themselves, containing whatever's left of the original one. I've been told that this happens quite quickly, due to an extremely efficient and active "hacker" community.

Baltes
02-27-2009, 06:00 AM
ruh roh raggy!
http://kotaku.com/5161340/japanese-cour ... ss-r4-cart (http://kotaku.com/5161340/japanese-court-blocks-sales-of-the-dss-r4-cart)

Syrup
03-02-2009, 03:45 AM
why are they mad at r4, theres m3 cycloDS and like 100000 others....... any ways my r4 wil be worth somthing one day. I think its unfair that psp users get to pirate games without any troubles :O

MSico
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
That's because PSP has firmware and memory sticks. You can use/hack it for anything, not specifically piracy. R4 is for pirates. And homebrewers. Would anyone like to guess what the ratio of homebrewers to pirates is? :?

Kilgard
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
That's because PSP has firmware and memory sticks. You can use/hack it for anything, not specifically piracy. R4 is for pirates. And homebrewers. Would anyone like to guess what the ratio of homebrewers to pirates is? :?

I'm sure Bob's using it for homebrew, since he can't get that dev. kit XD