PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars stuff

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of the AW franchise...how bout anyone else?

I've got Dual Strike--what's up with the rarity of that game?--and I loved it, it ruined my life for quite a while because I was so sucked into it, haha. I haven't picked up Days of Ruin for the same reason. How is it?

Also, I just heard from my friend localretard that someone got murdered over a dispute on an advance wars forum...I guess you know it's a good game if that happens, haha DL _ns_

fettouhi
10-03-2008, 07:33 PM
that game I have never heard of.

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
For real, man?? Well it's a great series for handheld rts. It's a blast and EXTREMELY addictive! Pick up advance wars 2 for gba, it's probably cheap now, and it's probably as good as the first one for DS, Dual Strike. But I think I've heard that Days of Ruin is the best by far, but I haven't played it so I can't say myself.

fettouhi
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm gonna check it out if I have time so many games that I to play :D

dryuriev7777
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I've never played it but I've heard it's really good. If I don't really play RTS games would I like this game?

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
You might...I'm not a huge fan of RTS either, especially not modern ones. I really only like C&C:Red Alert 2 and the AW franchise. One of the great things about AW is that it's pretty easy to pick up, and it's a whoooole lot simpler than the crazy RTS stuff they've got out now (the newer Command and Conquers, Supreme Commander, etc.).

So yeah, even if you're not into RTS, it's definitely worth checking out, it's just really good fun. Very simple, but the better you get the more challenging and engaging it is.

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Uh, is Advance Wars really an RTS (Real Time Strategy)? I thought it was a Turn Based Tactics game, along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics type games.

dryuriev7777
10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Awesome thanks I'll definately look around for it then! :D

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't know the lingo that well, so yeah, I guess it is a TBT game. Sorry about that.

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know the lingo that well, so yeah, I guess it is a TBT game. Sorry about that.
In other words it's nothing like and Command and Conquer game.

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
sheesh lay off. No, I guess because there are turns instead of being in real time, its not a strategy game anymore...I wasn't looking for a fight, just because I used the wrong three letter label doesn't mean I can't talk to people about a game..... :roll:

maybe this is what that guy on the AW forums got killed over haha

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
sheesh lay off. No, I guess because there are turns instead of being in real time, its not a strategy game anymore...I wasn't looking for a fight, just because I used the wrong three letter label doesn't mean I can't talk to people about a game..... :roll:
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it look like I was starting a fight. :P

I've never played Advanced Wars, and you were confusing me, making me think that it was completely different from what I thought it was.

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 08:06 PM
S'alright, it's cool. I'm just not so into the video gaming culture I guess, just casual. But yeah, I guess AW is a great TBT game haha

Sonic62
10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
It seems to be a Turn-Based Strategy game.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 71043.html (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/home/471043.html)

Gwellin
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
It seems to be a Turn-Based Strategy game.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 71043.html (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/home/471043.html)
I only really used the word Tactical to give association with Final Fantasy Tactics.

zach2m1
10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Im sorry I have never heard of that game so wht is it like?

Sonic62
10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
It truly amazes me that people actually haven't at least HEARD of (blank) Wars. :o

shiveringking
10-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I know! Such a great and (i thought) popular game, haha.

It's a turn-based strategy (or tactics, if you prefer haha) game. You control one army and fight others with tanks, ships, planes, and infantry units.

skthmgs
10-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I love this series. I wasn't really a big fan of strategy games (I missed fft when it came out) until I played these games. Definitely have to recommend this game to anyone that has a ds.

Ninboycl
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I had every AW handheld game at one point, from AW1 for GBA to the newest DS release. They all got stolen along with my DS some time ago. I remember the countless weekends in my Dad's truck getting water for the house (We have a huge underwater tank that needs refilling every weekend.) struggling with the damned Black Hole goons on hard mode....
I hate asshole thieves :(

Gwellin
10-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I had every AW handheld game at one point, from AW1 for GBA to the newest DS release. They all got stolen along with my DS some time ago. I remember the countless weekends in my Dad's truck getting water for the house (We have a huge underwater tank that needs refilling every weekend.) struggling with the damned Black Hole goons on hard mode....
I know the feeling, I had my GBA stolen along with my copy of Pokémon Blue with 151 Pokémon on it.

Maybe I should try one of these Advance Wars games, probably a DS version, but I've got a lot of other games I need to work through before that.

MSico
10-11-2008, 01:36 PM

In Texas, we call them 'target practice'.

Sonic62
10-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Sorry for being off-topic but... wow, you still use a cistern? We have one too, but haven't used it in ages since we got a water line.

Ninboycl
10-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry for being off-topic but... wow, you still use a cistern? We have one too, but haven't used it in ages since we got a water line.
Uh, well....
We find getting the water every weekend is cheaper then getting a water line.. (We live in a very odd spot to get one :P)

KeymasterPL
11-25-2008, 12:14 AM
going back on topic here, AW is a great series and Day of Ruin is amazing, the Newest game in the series. The storyline is perfect fit for the game and the game is made very well. I would recommend this game to anyone, even if they aren't into these types of games, it is that good, and fun.