PDA

View Full Version : SMB3 FanFest signups

TheSpeedGamers
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
We are only a few short months away from our very first Fanfest! A Fanfest is designed both to commemorate classic games like Super Mario Bros 3 and also to celebrate the great community we have. Each evening at 8pm central from September 23-30, community members will stream a world a night from Super Mario Bros 3. Along with the streams, we will ask members to submit fan art and content themed from the worlds we do that day. All community members will be able to compete in new age achievements and challenges for Mario Bros 3 that will require members to upload video evidence as proof of completion. Achievements in the form of medals will be awarded to community members for their completion of the challenges.

Posted below are rules if you'd like to signup to host a night of the Fanfest. There are 8 nights so we will choose 8 different streamers.

Signup rules:
1. You must know how to stream on Justin.tv, that's the service we will be using for the Fanfest.

2. Post in this topic letting us know that you would like to participate in streaming in the Fanfest and which worlds you most like to do/ are available to do.

3. Provide a link of Justin.tv highlighted footage for proof of your ability to stream. Justin.TV by default archives your stream for a limited time. However, you will need to go to that archived footage and highlight it to save the footage.

4. You must be able to provide commentary on your feed. Video commentary is not a must, but audio is. As far as gameplay audio goes, we would really prefer that you have some sort of gameplay audio but it is not mandatory.

5. You can use whatever version of the game that you prefer.

6. We will provide a Justin.TV account to login and use via PM on the forum.

7. Streams will start each evening at 8pm central.

8. Have fun!

Stream Dates:
[spoiler:340j2fd7]Stream dates:
Friday September 23: World 1
Saturday September 24: World 2
Sunday September 25: World 3
Monday September 26: World 4
Tuesday September 27: World 5
Wednesday September 28: World 6
Thursday September 29: World 7
Friday September 30: World 8[/spoiler:340j2fd7]

Other notes:
We know that some worlds might only take streamers 10-15 minutes to complete. We ask that each player 100% their world if possible. Also, if a player wants to play their world twice to extend their gameplay point, that is fine with us. You can be as creative as like you'd like with your shift. For example, if you feel like pregame trivia about the world you are about to play would go over well, do it! This will make the Fanfest more entertaining and will also extend your time streaming. No need to worry about ops, we will have it taken care of.

Edit:Schedule
Alrighty, schedule is complete! Since there was only a few people over 8 who volunteered, I went ahead and added everyone who sent proof they could stream. If you see that you are listed as "2nd" you will play when the first person finishes their play through. This will also help extend the daily streams.

If you are not on the list but volunteered, let me know! If you would like to be taken off the schedule, also let me know asap.

Start times: 8pm central
Friday September 23 World 1: 1st: MegaKidIcarus 2nd: Lothis 3rd:1st PokemonFan
Saturday September 24 World 2: 1st:Someone70 2nd:Jake Peter
Sunday September 25 World 3: Iwasalongtimeago
Monday September 26 World 4: Luigi110 2nd: PkGamer
Tuesday September 27 World 5: 1st Masaru 2nd: Tromby
Wednesday September 28 World 6: ironPunkle
Thursday September 29 World 7: Sonic62
Friday September 30 World 8: AlanEdgeHead

Masaru
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I'd be up for doing any of the latter 4 worlds, although 5 will probably work out best for me. [strike:1vuasnuc]I don't have any JTV highlight footage to put offhand at this particular moment, but I'll edit a link into this post with some soon (within a few hrs probably).[/strike:1vuasnuc]

Got some up now, although at the time of this posting it's still processing.. but I figured I'd put it here sooner rather than later. http://www.justin.tv/xmasaru/b/291021691

If one with commentary is preferred then I can go ahead and do another one.

DrewStern
07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I'd love to try World 2 or 4, but this I don't know if I can for sure.

theberserked
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
[strike:2r9rd5f4]Hmmm...

Do you want the JTV highlight to be of anything in particular? Maybe of the world we would like to play so that you can see us playing it and pick the most qualified person?

That said, I'd love to participate in the Fanfest. I'm interesting in seeing which worlds others would like to play, but for now I will say that I'd prefer worlds 4, 2, or 6 (Obligatory Ice Level!) I would be willing to do 1, 2, 4, 5, or 6 though.[/strike:2r9rd5f4]

Eh, nevermind. Unless you need more people I'll stay out of this one.

AlanEdgeHead
07-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I'll gladly take any world, but if I had the choice I'd take world 7 or 8. But any of the latter worlds would be fine too. Actually any World but 1 or 2 would be ideal for me.

And here's my highlight from my JTV test just now. I got Shuu to highlight it while I stream.

http://www.justin.tv/shuukei/b/291022921

localretard
07-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Hmmm...

Do you want the JTV highlight to be of anything in particular? Maybe of the world we would like to play so that you can see us playing it and pick the most qualified person?

Well the highlight basically needs to show us you can meet the requirements. For the content, no it doesn't matter. :P

Baltes
07-25-2011, 06:32 PM
is the j.tv thing going to matter or will it be twitch.tv?

Luigi110
07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Any world is fine by me, but not so much world 8 xD

Here's the link to my highlight thing
http://www.justin.tv/luigi110_is_awesome/b/291025140

Iwasalongtimeago
07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd prefer to do world 2,3,or 4, But I don't mind taking any other world.
Here is my highlight: http://www.justin.tv/iwasalongtimeago/b/291026401

theberserked
07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...

Well the highlight basically needs to show us you can meet the requirements. For the content, no it doesn't matter. :P

All right, so this won't be both a qualification test and a selection system. I guess I should create my highlight soon then, shouldn't I?

AlanEdgeHead
07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd be up for doing any of the latter 4 worlds, although 5 will probably work out best for me. [strike:eouenkmq]I don't have any JTV highlight footage to put offhand at this particular moment, but I'll edit a link into this post with some soon (within a few hrs probably).[/strike:eouenkmq]

Got some up now, although at the time of this posting it's still processing.. but I figured I'd put it here sooner rather than later. http://www.justin.tv/xmasaru/b/291021691

Your highlight might be broken. It's been processing for a couple of hours now.

the1stpkmnfan
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I've played SMB3 dozens of times, and really (I try my best) but I've only been good at completing all of World 1. That's basically the best, and only, world I'm good at. xD

To show my proof of 1, I'll post it here once I get a highlight made.

edit: http://www.justin.tv/the1stpkmnfan/b/291163055

Masaru
07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd be up for doing any of the latter 4 worlds, although 5 will probably work out best for me. [strike:2z0t58lk]I don't have any JTV highlight footage to put offhand at this particular moment, but I'll edit a link into this post with some soon (within a few hrs probably).[/strike:2z0t58lk]

Yeah, this is certainly weird. @_@; Guess I should try making another.

I'll edit it into this post when I get a working one for whoever's verifying these.

EDIT: Gee, that was fast. xD http://www.justin.tv/xmasaru/b/291039155

nizzlynick
07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd be up for doing any of the latter 4 worlds, although 5 will probably work out best for me. [strike:2dvdlpki]I don't have any JTV highlight footage to put offhand at this particular moment, but I'll edit a link into this post with some soon (within a few hrs probably).[/strike:2dvdlpki]

Yeah, this is certainly weird. @_@; Guess I should try making another.

I'll edit it into this post when I get a working one for whoever's verifying these.

EDIT: Gee, that was fast. xD http://www.justin.tv/xmasaru/b/291039155

Isn't there some differences between the NES version and the Gameboy version? I dont think that it would effect anything though. I'm jus sayin

DrewStern
07-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Does this mean we have to race to send in our submissions? :?

Masaru
07-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Isn't there some differences between the NES version and the Gameboy version? I dont think that it would effect anything though. I'm jus sayin

There are some differences, but they're extremely minor (like a few extra blocks in some spots, etc). This is the only version I'm able to stream though, as I don't have the equipment for streaming from my NES, and the Wii release of SM All-Stars is out because my wii's broken. D:

the1stpkmnfan
07-27-2011, 04:03 PM
For some odd reason, my first linked highlight wouldn't finish loading. I re-added another link to a different highlight of my original SMB3 video. It's edited into my post on the first page.

http://www.justin.tv/the1stpkmnfan/b/291163055

someone70
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Would SMB3 from the Mario All-Stars game for the SNES count or does it have to be the original game?

AlanEdgeHead
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Would SMB3 from the Mario All-Stars game for the SNES count or does it have to be the original game?

someone70
07-27-2011, 07:14 PM
-facepalm-

Thanks for that, Alan. Then I'll take World 2 since pkmnfan says he can only do 1. :P

I can't go much further than that though.

I'll post a link to a jtv highlight soon.

EDIT: This DS run is all I have, sorry. But I do have a capture card I can record from. http://www.twitch.tv/someone70/b/291175770?id=291175770&channel=someone70

BryceAB22
07-27-2011, 09:03 PM
i wish i could but my recorder just so happened to die out

ck14500
07-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I can stream for the fanfest! i already did a mario 3 Lets play so like im all good to go and besides its one of the most epic games of all time!

well you still have sign up with the requirements on the first page!

the1stpkmnfan
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, it looks like I got a major conflict, and I won't be able to watch the first two nights on air.

I just got a part in my first school play this upcoming year, "Shakespeare abridged". And it's definitely going to go over 8pm CST every night from Sept.22-24. So even as much as I would like to World 1 (and my only good world to do), I'm gonna have to drop out on my sign up.

I'm sure the World 1 player would easily dominate it better than I would have. :)

MegaKidicarus
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
i will take world 1 please

localretard
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM

I may have missed it but I haven't seen you provide all the required things listed below.

Posted below are rules if you'd like to signup to host a night of the Fanfest. There are 8 nights so we will choose 8 different streamers.

Signup rules:
1. You must know how to stream on Justin.tv, that's the service we will be using for the Fanfest.

2. Post in this topic letting us know that you would like to participate in streaming in the Fanfest and which worlds you most like to do/ are available to do.

3. Provide a link of Justin.tv highlighted footage for proof of your ability to stream. Justin.TV by default archives your stream for a limited time. However, you will need to go to that archived footage and highlight it to save the footage.

4. You must be able to provide commentary on your feed. Video commentary is not a must, but audio is. As far as gameplay audio goes, we would really prefer that you have some sort of gameplay audio but it is not mandatory.

8. Have fun!

MegaKidicarus
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I may have missed it but I haven't seen you provide all the required things listed below.

Signup rules:

8. Have fun!

here is a link to with the required items http://www.twitch.tv/megakidicarus/b/29 ... akidicarus (http://www.twitch.tv/megakidicarus/b/291563032?id=291563032&channel=megakidicarus) my jtv vids http://www.justin.tv/megakidicarus/videos the video page of my backup account/ secondary accout http://www.justin.tv/megakidicarus2/videos

edit on the world i would like to /am able to do the order i want to do is (1 4 2 5 want to in that order ) ( don't really want to do but can 8 6 7 3)

Baltes
08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
@Mega that's because all jtv gaming channels are now twitch.tv channels

Trombonus
08-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Awesome! I'd love to participate in a Community Mega Man Event...oops, wrong thread...guess I got a little ahead of myself. *looks at Britt* :3

Well, I was thinking of streaming later this week anyway, so I may as well give it the old college try. Hopefully I won't be too late, I won't be able to stream for at least a couple of days.

Luigi110
08-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Come on guys, I know there's more people out there who want to do this. Get your sign-ups in! September is right around the corner.

AlanEdgeHead
08-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Y NO ONE ELSE SIGN UP?!

theberserked
08-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I just haven't sent in my highlight proof yet... I didn't think I needed to right away. Unless this is some sort of first come first serve thing. In which case, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME!?

Luigi110
08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I just haven't sent in my highlight proof yet... I didn't think I needed to right away. Unless this is some sort of first come first serve thing. In which case, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME!?
?(????) NO. Not first come first serve.

I haven't the slightest idea what the lot of them plan on doing for choosing who plays in the fanfest, but it's also a good idea to have your submission in because it could end at anytime.

It's like, why would you wait until the last minute to do something, that's only going to take you maybe 30 minutes. To setup, stream on justin, and create a highlight.

theberserked
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I didn't say I was waiting until the last minute. I just said I was waiting. :P

jakepeter
08-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I would like to play. Can I do World 2? I am willing to do any world though.

[strike:3fvcgnvv]Will add[/strike:3fvcgnvv] link below to streaming thingy (highlight):

http://www.justin.tv/jakepeter11/b/291918371

TheSpeedGamers
08-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Sorry guys that I forgot to put up a deadline. I'll go ahead and make it August 20th and then we will put up a schedule the following week of the players.

pkGamerB
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a question about this. Is it possible for people to team up for a shift? For example, I have a way to stream the game, but no mic to commentate. Could I theoretically partner up with someone who only wants to commentate or doesn't have a method of streaming the game?

Luigi110
08-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Less than three days people. Come on, let's get some more participants. There's should be at LEAST five more in this topic.

Iron Punkle
08-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I suppose I'll throw my hat into the ring... As for worlds, I don't mind doing any of them, although if I were to pick, I'd choose 6 or 7.

As for the highlight:

http://www.twitch.tv/punkle/b/293008033

If for some reason I make an alternate highlight, I'll edit it in right above.

Sonic62
08-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Okay, made my highlight. Any world is fine by me.

http://www.twitch.tv/sonic62/b/293034844

TheSpeedGamers
08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I have a question about this. Is it possible for people to team up for a shift? For example, I have a way to stream the game, but no mic to commentate. Could I theoretically partner up with someone who only wants to commentate or doesn't have a method of streaming the game?

If you'd like to do an encore run without commentary, that will be fine. Since we have just a bit more than 8 people I'm going to go ahead and add extras. Which world would you like?

TheSpeedGamers
08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Alrighty, schedule is complete! Since there was only a few people over 8 who volunteered, I went ahead and added everyone who sent proof they could stream. If you see that you are listed as "2nd" you will play when the first person finishes their play through. This will also help extend the daily streams.

If you are not on the list but volunteered, let me know! If you would like to be taken off the schedule, also let me know asap.

Start times: 8pm central
Friday September 23 World 1: 1st: MegaKidIcarus 2nd: Lothis 3rd:1st PokemonFan
Saturday September 24 World 2: 1st:Someone70 2nd:Jake Peter
Sunday September 25 World 3: Iwasalongtimeago
Monday September 26 World 4: Luigi110 2nd:PkGamer
Tuesday September 27 World 5: 1st Masaru 2nd: Tromby
Wednesday September 28 World 6: ironPunkle
Thursday September 29 World 7: Sonic62
Friday September 30 World 8: AlanEdgeHead

AlanEdgeHead
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
CAN NOT WAIT!

Everybody must dominate their world. OR ELSE!

Blaumagier
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I'd be willing to help pad out the time on World 1 but I don't want to commentate it. I could add roughly 15 minutes to the time. I didn't sign up originally because I wanted to give the rest of the community a chance, and I thought there would be a lot more sign ups. Also wouldn't mind helping to pad out World 4 or 8 either.

AlanEdgeHead
08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I've got a lot planned for World 8. :^D

Gonna start out with the VC original. Then I've got my GBA version loaded with Suits and SMW Feathers from the E-Reader so I can do it again. And I also have All Stars I could play too. Playing all three version to show off differences might be fuuuun.

Blaumagier
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice, I look forward to seeing your World 8 stuff. I've never seen any of the E-Reader stuff in action.

EDIT: Just a thought, but perhaps there could be a World-e day for the GBA version's exclusive e-reader levels? Or perhaps it could be tacked onto World 1 Day since World 1 is so short. With a little research, I found out that it's even possible to get the Japan exclusive e-reader levels on a US or European version of the game, legitimately even.

pkGamerB
08-22-2011, 04:03 PM

If you'd like to do an encore run without commentary, that will be fine. Since we have just a bit more than 8 people I'm going to go ahead and add extras. Which world would you like?In that case, I could do world 4, since it's probably the only one outside of 1 and 2 that I can beat reliably. :P

I don't have a JTV highlight handy, but I can probably get one up either today or tomorrow.

the1stpkmnfan
08-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm honored that I can play World 1, but unless I could start at 9pm instead for that one night (Sept. 23), I can't be present at 8pm for the most part. I posted before that I have a play that's going on for three nights, which is when the fanfest is happening.

So if moving the 23rd to 9pm is a no go, and since Tromby is put 2nd for World 1, can we switch places? He can take over that night, and we can team up when I return home for the fanfest?

TheSpeedGamers
08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I made some changes to the schedule. Let me know if you guys have any more recommendations :)

I added Lothis to the first day to give pkmnfan some additional time to get home. I also moved MegaKid to his prefered slot on day 1 and tromby to day 5.

Luigi110
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
aww snap. can't wait! I'm sure I'll come up with some crazy things to make world 4 exciting haha.

Blaumagier
08-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Ahhh, World 1. Britt, if it's alright with you, I have activated all the japan exclusive e-reader stuff now on my SMA4 cartridge and I was thinking I could spice things up in World 1 by using the Red Switch, which replaces all the enemies with harder ones (such as Spinies instead of Goombas), the Blue-Green switch which adds pluck able plants ala SMB2 to all the normal SMB3 levels, the Orange Switch, which makes enemies turn into coins when killed with fireballs, and the Yellow Switch, which gives Luigi a more floaty jump. Perhaps also show off the Blue Boomerang item that is usually only available to Non-Japanese players in specific e-Reader levels? I'll pass on the cape, it makes World 1 stupid easy, and Alan is gonna show that off. I think it might also help buy some additional time for pkmnfan.

TheSpeedGamers
08-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Ahhh, World 1. Britt, if it's alright with you, I have activated all the japan exclusive e-reader stuff now on my SMA4 cartridge and I was thinking I could spice things up in World 1 by using the Red Switch, which replaces all the enemies with harder ones (such as Spinies instead of Goombas), the Blue-Green switch which adds pluck able plants ala SMB2 to all the normal SMB3 levels, the Orange Switch, which makes enemies turn into coins when killed with fireballs, and the Yellow Switch, which gives Luigi a more floaty jump. Perhaps also show off the Blue Boomerang item that is usually only available to Non-Japanese players in specific e-Reader levels? I'll pass on the cape, it makes World 1 stupid easy, and Alan is gonna show that off. I think it might also help buy some additional time for pkmnfan.

That sounds awesome! I've never seen this done before and I like the creativity you guys are adding to your playtimes.

MegaKidicarus
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
which version are you playing pokemonfan reason i ask is because i want all 3 versions played for world 1 (i can play nes and allstars)

the1stpkmnfan
08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Well, I was planning to play the one on Virtual Console, but I also have the one from the Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary Edition. The original NES version was my main option to use, gaming wise. :P

And thanks you guys! With all that planned for World 1, it'll give me more than enough time to arrive before my time to play. This should work out way better than I hoped. Thanks again Britt. :)

localretard
09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, just a little reminder to please test and check your stream prior to the fanfest starting.

Thanks

AlanEdgeHead
09-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Amen to that. I was getting a tad irked with some of the un-preparedness.

Blaumagier
09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I did test mine before hand and xsplit not holding a connection wasn't an issue that came up in the test. Unexpected things can still happen.

the1stpkmnfan
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
On my night with lothis and icarus, I tried using my old laptop to stream (since it reads my Capture Card). But it failed to get connected to the internet at a good time. Thankfully, my new laptop got my stream running in just a few minutes.

But yeah, true that, have everything prepared beforehand.

localretard
09-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I did test mine before hand and xsplit not holding a connection wasn't an issue that came up in the test. Unexpected things can still happen.
My post wasn't aimed at anyone specifically. Obviously unexpected things can still happen...that wasn't my point, though. I was just reminding everyone to make sure they have everything tested and ready beforehand to try and reduce downtime as much as possible.

Blaumagier
09-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Right, I know you weren't pointing me out specifically. Just used myself as an example for how unexpected results can still pop up even after a successful test. I know I certainly appreciate the patience everyone had with my tech difficulties and I'm sure the other broadcasters appreciate the patience everyone shows for them as well.

Carry on.

TheSpeedGamers
09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I was going through my pms and I noticed everything was accounted for but world 5. Are you guys good to go and if not are there any volunteers to fill in?

Blaumagier
09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I'll do it if no one else will. But I don't have a nifty backdrop ready for this world.

Trombonus
09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm good to go for world five tomorrow.

TheSpeedGamers
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm good to go for world five tomorrow.
Woot! Then we are set.

someone70
09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Ack, I'm so sorry guys. I completely missed my fanfest day. I don't really have an excuse, I just forgot about it. Sorry again... _dead2_