PDA

View Full Version : SMB3 achievement/challenges brainstorming

TheSpeedGamers
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
"All community members will be able to compete in new age achievements and challenges for Mario Bros 3 that will require members to upload video evidence as proof of completion. Achievements in the form of medals will be awarded to community members for their completion of the challenges. "

I want to get the communities input on solid challenges we can have for the Fanfest. We are going to have 1 challenge per world. We want to make these challenges pretty difficult but definitely achievable for your average gamer.

Each challenge should center around something that is featured in the world for that day. For example, the sun in world 2, the use of the from suit in world 3, ect.

After we iron out each challenge for each day, we can start the medal creations.

theberserked
07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Each challenge should center around something that is featured in the world for that day. For example, the sun in world 2, the use of the from suit in world 3, ect.

Well, that rules out the link of stuff about SMB3 I was going to recommend. It has plenty of random semi-hidden things about the game, but no challenges that pertain to a certain world's theme... I guess I'll throw it in here in the event you need a challenge for a world you can't think of the theme of:

WARNING: Link contains all sort of spoiler stuff for SMB3 (Just so I can't be blamed. :P )

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_codes.shtml

Now I must try to think of a theme that is relevant to a world!

DrewStern
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
How about kill the sun with ___ seconds left?

Oh, and no quick reply?

TheSpeedGamers
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, that rules out the link of stuff about SMB3 I was going to recommend. It has plenty of random semi-hidden things about the game, but no challenges that pertain to a certain world's theme... I guess I'll throw it in here in the event you need a challenge for a world you can't think of the theme of:

WARNING: Link contains all sort of spoiler stuff for SMB3 (Just so I can't be blamed. :P )

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_codes.shtml

Now I must try to think of a theme that is relevant to a world!

You make a good point. In the scenario that we can't find a great themed challenge, we can use others. So feel free to submit any challenges you can think of.

MSico
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
No powerups in the first world! Kill a boss with Sledgehammer Mario

Farplane
07-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe you should also make it so that the achievements do not call for a recording of more than 5-10 minutes. Considering the amount of videos that will be coming in for this, that will be a LOT of clips to check for medals.

Pantaro
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Freedom Biter
Set One Chain Chomp Free in all the levels Chain Chomps appear in.

Sangome
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Mine is kinda cheap but simple - don't lose a single life. Other than that, even though I used to play this a lot as a kid, my recollection of the game is very hazy...

AlanEdgeHead
07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Defeat Bowser as a Frog! Or defeat him with a Hammer Suit!

Pantaro
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
The Nick of Time
Beat a level with only 1 second left

The Nick of Time and Time Again
Beat at least 5 levels with only 1 second left

Kairamek
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Overall Achievements
Yo' Dawg, I heard you like threes...: Get the life up/fireworks for 3 Mushrooms, 3 Fire Flowers, and 3 Star cards.
Tone Deaf: Do not collect any warp whistles.
Tonight the Part of Mario Will be Played By...: Start a two player game. Kill off Mario immediatly. Beat the game as Luigi. (Alternate name, The Understudy. Suggested by ArtenXevious)
The Italian Job: Complete the Fanfest with a friend in two player mode.

The Second Plague: Beat a Koopa Kid, and fall back to earth, in a Frog Suit.
Stop! Hammer Time: Beat a Koopa Kid in the Hammer Brothers Suit.
Statutory Rape: Defeate a Koopa Kid using the the Tanooki Suit. Bonus points for landing the defeating blow in statue form.
A Suit for All Occations: Complete The Second Plague, Stop! Hammer Time, and Statutory Rape.

Small Backpack: Complete the game without getting/using items from Toad Houses or the Flip Game (except for Suit Boss Challenges) Peach and Hammer Brother items can be used.
Similarly (submited by ArtenXevious)
Fox Only, Final Destination: Beat the game without using any power ups on the world map.

World 2
A Mass of Incondesant Gas: Kill the Angry Sun every time it shows up.
Move Faster Pokey!: There are no Pokey's so haul butt! Beat Level 2-1 in under 30 timer seconds (help me with this one, what's a good challenge run for this level. When I looked it up a Speed Run on youtube did it in 27 time sec.)

World 4
...The Harder They Fall: Don't change the size of the world in 4-6.

World 5
This Boot was Made for Walkin': Finish world 5-3 in a Kuribo Shoe.
What Goes Up...: Decend back to the lower world, than clime the tower a second time.

World 6
Cold Shoulder: Complete 6-10 without a fireflower.
alternatly
Cold Hard Cash: Collect all the frozen coins in 6-10.

World 7
My God, It's Full of Stars!: Get all the stars to be invincible through all of level 7-3

World 8
Hands Off!: Defeate all three 'hand trap' levels.
You're To Slow!: Defeat Bowser without him hitting you.
Come On, Step it Up!: Defeat Bowser's Castle as regular Mario, without a power up.

pkGamerB
07-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I've got a couple of challenges in mind.

- Complete World 1 without taking any damage/losing any lives (I guess this could be applied to other levels too).

- Beat the game without using any items that let you skip levels (i.e. P-Wing, Cloud, Warp Whistle, Hammer, Music Box, and even the Anchor).

I had more, but it's late and I can't remember them.

metalman27
07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
I guess I'll throw some ideas out there

- Beat the whole game in under a half hour. (using warp whistles obviously :P )
I've beaten SMB3 in a half hour so its totally possible.

- Beat the airship level in world 8 with no power ups.

- Get a white mushroom house or a white airship in any of the worlds they appear in.

- Defeat Boom Boom in under 5 seconds.

- Defeat Bowser while wearing the frog suit.

hope this helps ;P

Pantaro
07-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Super Hammer Bros. 3

Defeat The Hammer Bros. With A Hammer Suit

Scruff
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
No powerups in the first world! Kill a boss with Sledgehammer Mario
You took my no powerups idea!

DrewStern
07-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Land of the Rising Sun

Beat World 2 without Power Ups

Pantaro
07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Dat Bass

Defeat Boss Bass in 3-3 and 3-8

Lab Rat

Spend a total of less than 5 minutes navigating the overworld of World 7.

topbunkdd89
07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Would it be possible to upload a picture with you in it because my video camera isnt working and pictures a easier to post and what not...

Kairamek
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
World 8
I'm on a Boat: Beat the boat level without swimming under the ships.

Sonic62
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Dat Bass

Defeat Big Bertha in 3-3 and 3-8
That fish is called Boss Bass.

- Get all 3 special messages from the kings. (Beat Koopalings with each suit)

- Have Bowser break every block before falling, (Need to take the top path)

Mecha Buu
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Bowser underestimated me.
Finish all the stages in World 8 without using a single powerup and without dying.

Too many lives.
Have 99 lives at the end of the game.

Trombonus
08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
*ahem*

The Fred Savage "Wizard" Achievement - Find a secret warp flute in World 1-Fortress and use it all while playing the game using the Power Glove.

(Just in case anyone couldn't tell, this was a joke, but kudos to those of you who knew what I was talking about). :thumbs:

BroBuzz
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Jump Man:
Successfully chain 1up combo by jumping off of the projectiles in any of the Airship levels.
Example: (Skip to 2:12)
[youtube:1oa9ugvf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3BuYYhnn0&feature=player_detailpage#t=135s[/youtube:1oa9ugvf]

*ahem*

The Fred Savage "Wizard" Achievement - Find a secret warp flute in World 1-Fortress and use it all while playing the game using the Power Glove.

http://partneryahoo.photobucket.com/albums/f364/kiwigirl010/challenge-accepted.png?t=1302914842

jakepeter
08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Hot Shot: Kill the first bowser castle as fireflower mario.

jmanskater2
08-12-2011, 10:05 PM
For World 8:

QuickHand
Pass though all the hand traps without going in one.

or....

SlowHand
Go into every sand trap once.

Iron Punkle
08-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I thought up a couple of challenges:

-Shell boost - Throw a shell against a wall and bounce off of it before it hits the ground.

-A Tale of Two Bowsers - Meet the second Bowser by flying over the wall of Bowser's room with a P-wing.

Kairamek
08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
-A Tale of Two Bowsers - Meet the second Bowser by flying over the wall of Bowser's room with a P-wing.

Second Bowser?

AlanEdgeHead
08-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Second Bowser?

There's two different Bowser rooms. One with a smaller hole in the floor than the other.

Kairamek
08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I see. So they didn't remove a row of blocks for the other room, they created two rooms and each door warps to a different point in that map. Nice old school trickery there.

Of course being in Mario 3 means that's WHY it's old school.

Pantaro
08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Land of the Midnight Angry Sun

Beat 8-2 without shortcuts, P-Switches, or flying

From This Moment Forth, The Night Will Last Forever

Kill the Angry Sun in 8-2

battleduk1
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Vet Visit: Find a tanooki suit, only to land "tail" first on a spiny.

Resistance is Flute-ile: Clear any world without using a warp whistle.

DavyBones24
09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Mystery of the Yen boat:
find the mysterious coin boat in any world.

Not so ninja anymore, eh?:
Bounce on four koopas in a row.

Brothers in Arms:
Play and beat a world with a friend.

Baptism by fire:
Kill an enemy with a fireball as its jumping toward water.

nickyv917
09-23-2011, 07:33 PM
How about this:
Warmonger
Kill every single enemy in a world, that can be killed.

torf.0'
09-25-2011, 01:53 AM
My suggestions for World 3

Dat Bass
Defeat Boss Bass in 3-3 and 3-8

Don't Croak _dead_
Defeat Fortress 2 with the frog suit obtained in 3-9. (or if that seems to hard, then just with a frog suit in general)

Trombonus
09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
One question about these. Is there a time limit to get them? Like do we have to get them the same day as that world is played or can I go back and get like the World 1 achievements today?

localretard
09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
One question about these. Is there a time limit to get them? Like do we have to get them the same day as that world is played or can I go back and get like the World 1 achievements today?
In the threads titled World # Achievements, it says proof must be posted by Oct 1st. I believe this deadline goes for all the achievements.

Blaumagier
09-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Just a thought, but perhaps it could be a nice touch if the achievements were treated more like PSN's trophies and had rankings based on their difficulties. Give them bronze, silver, and gold backgrounds for the images, accordingly, instead of a plain gray. Perhaps even have an equivalent of a platinum trophy for those who accomplish all the achievements.

I suppose in the end it's just aesthetic, aside from the platinum thing, but it might make people feel extra special for pulling off the harder achievements.