PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Coraline

Rare Addict
03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's my review of the film:

Written on February 6th, 2009

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/coraline-poster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

"Coraline Jones (Dakota Fanning) is bored in her new home until she finds a secret door and discovers an alternate version of her life on the other side. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life and the people in it – only much better. But when this seemingly perfect world turns dangerous, and her other parents (including her Other Mother voiced by Teri Hatcher) try to trap her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness, determination and bravery to escape this increasingly perilous world – and save her family."

First off, the visuals in Coraline are absolutely, undeniably breathtaking. I managed to catch this film in 3D, and I have to say that I admire the way that it's used here, as it doesn't rely on constant "flying off of the screen and into your face™" moments. Infact, this is probably the most effective 3D movie I've ever seen, right up there with 2007's Beowulf (which, coincidentally, was also co-written by Neil Gaiman). That said, I'm sure that Coraline looks almost just as beautiful in 2D, as nearly all of the enviornments are just so incredibly lush, and the ones that aren't are bizzare and spooky.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/CoralinePicture2.jpg

Ontop of being one of the best 3D films I've ever seen, this is also one of the scariest animated films - period - that I've watched. Seriously, there were several kids in the audience screaming during the movie's opening credits (which involves a cloth doll having her innards removed and replaced by The Other Mother, and is definitely one of the more creepishly enjoyable moments of the film). I'm not sure if I would recommend Coraline to anyone under the age of 6.

As far as the story and characters go, and for somebody who hasn't read the book, I was thoroughly impressed. It's an involving, sophisticated fairytale with a ton of heart, and one that I'm sure a lot of adults will enjoy. Ontop of Coraline being such a lovable protagonist, The Other Mother is brilliantly frightening in all of her forms, rivaling some of the best animated villains before her. Another one of my favorite characters was The Cat (voiced excellently by Keith David), who is used as a great "tool" near the end of the film. XD About the only problem that I had was that Coraline's real parents treat her with such disdain throughout the beginning of the movie. Again, even as somebody who hasn't read the book (though now I'm really wanting to), I still felt that that was a little...off.

Overall, Coraline is an excellent work of art that surpassed most of my already high expectations. It's the first film that I've seen from 2009, and already I consider this to be better than all of the films released in '08, which is saying a ton. Infact, while it'll probably take a few more viewings to say for sure, I think that I may've enjoyed this film just a bit more than The Nightmare Before Christmas, my favorite film of all time. I don't mean to use so much hyperbole here, but seriously, go out and see this movie, folks - in 2D or 3D. I'll definitely be seeing it at least one more time while it's still in theaters.

10/10

the1stpkmnfan
03-16-2009, 12:08 AM
yeah, you said it. I really loved watching Coraline last month. I saw it while I was in New York, and the 3D is reall cool. I just got chilled when the hands just reached to me.

Nice review :D

SeriousKano
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet but your review and the "review" by Chester A. Bum aka the Nostalgia Critic really made me interested in it. It doesn't seem like it's getting a lot of promotion, at least not in Europe.

Richord
03-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I saw it in 3D. It twas awsome _awesome_ _awesome_ _awesome_

Syrup
03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
what can you expect its made by time burdon my favorite director of all time I <3 his movies

Rare Addict
03-17-2009, 12:16 AM
It was actually directed by Henry Selick, who directed The Nightmare Before Christmas (despite the movie being called Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas). And while Burton did produce that film, he wasn't involved in Coraline at all. ;)

MSico
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Coraline was amazing, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 13 because it really is scary.

SnowPin
03-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I love this movie and any movie that tim burton does :)

Nice review also :)

ChickenLeg
03-18-2009, 04:09 PM
While I haven't seen the movie yet, I am very interested in watching it Even if it wasn't good, the animation itself is just fascinating. Don't see a lot of people doing that anymore.

RobZombie
03-22-2009, 11:40 PM
The Nightmare Before Christmas was amazing and this movie well good was no way as good as Nightmare but I dare you to find a better Stop Motion film better than Nightmare before Christmas the truth is there just isnt one out there and probally will never be.

Also it is alot to say that this movie is better than any movie released in 2008 i am sorry but that just isnt true i could list of at leat 10 problally 20 films of 08 that are better but i wont but here is one The Dark Knight

Neways I dont wanna take anything away from this movie because i did thoroughly enjoy it but It was No Nightmare Before Christmas and was deffinatly not better than every movie released in 2008

RobZombie
03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
what can you expect its made by time burdon my favorite director of all time I <3 his movies

Ya it wasnt directed, written,or produced by Tim Burton if it was it probally would have been better it just didnt have that Burton Feel that makes his movies so Gooooooood!!!

Rare Addict
03-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Neways I dont wanna take anything away from this movie because i did thoroughly enjoy it but It was No Nightmare Before Christmas and was deffinatly not better than every movie released in 2008I very much thought it was. ;) Infact, having seen this movie a few more times after writing my review, I would go so far as to say that this is, personally, my favorite movie of all time. Took 16 years for something to come along and top The Nightmare Before Christmas [in my book], and funnily enough, it was Henry Selick himself that managed to pull it off.

Thanks for the comments, by the way, folks. I'm glad to hear that some of you really enjoyed the film, too.

RobZombie
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Well im glad you liked it so much and you are entitled to your opinion about it as being the best movie of all time even if i Completely Disagree
One word GODFATHER best Movie Ever Made then Fight Club, the original Star Wars, Shindlers List and finally The Dark Night to name a few lol o and Pans Labyrinth