PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Old School RPGs...

SnowPin
01-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I went out and bought a bunch of old RPG's I used to play on the SNES and I was wondering if anyone knew any others maybe similar that would interest me. I've played all these to hell and back and I'm in need of new ones.

Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
Breath of Fire
Breath of FIre II
Super Castlevania IV
Earthbound
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
Zelda - Link to the Past

I also have a Genesis, N64 and NES never really played those consoles growing up so I'm not sure about what RPG's are out there for them. I have a few on the NES but the others nope.

If the games can be more Action like Secret of Mana/Evermore that would be awesome.

noobsquashr
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
My personal 4 favorite RPG's of all time (Legends of dragoon, FF9, Castlevania symphony of the night, and chrono cross) are all on the ps1. so my advice would be get a playstation.

pkGamerB
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
You mentioned pretty much all of the games I had in mind, but I can recommend Illusion of Gaia for the SNES. It's more of an action/adventure type like Zelda and the "Secret of" games, so you might like it. Also, if you have some way to play GBA games, the Golden Sun series is very reminiscent of an old school SNES RPG, in terms of gameplay, graphics, and storyline. It's one of my three or four favorite series.

Cave Story is pretty RPG-esque too, despite being a platformer/shooter similar to the Metroid and Mega Man series. It puts more focus on story than the two aforementioned games do, and it has a pretty unique level up system.

rudy06
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM
A few that I can think of off the top of my head for the NES:

Faria
Star Tropics
Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge (I believe that is what it is called. I haven't played, but I enjoyed the first one.)
Crystalis
Zelda 2 (The Most RPG like of them all.)

For the SNES, I do recommend Illusion of Gaia, like Nico said. I also remember Ogre Battle was interesting, but a bit frustrating. Then there are also the Y's games.

GrimsChild
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Terranigma, Actraiser, Actraiser 2, Landstalker, Phantasy Star 1, 2, 3 & 4, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Shin Megami Tensei I&II should cover it.

Oculin
01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Castlevania IV

wat.

[spoiler:2qap5woz]I like Mystic Quest.
FF 4,5, and 6 are pretty great.
Not on an old console, but I've heard Nostalgia on Nintendo DS was an old-school style RPG. Never played it myself though. SKI PIRATz[/spoiler:2qap5woz]

Alison
01-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Well, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger, and one that hasn't been mentioned is Lunar: Silver Star Story. I think that was the first old-school RPG I every played. Golden Sun isn't that old, but I love it as well. And then you know, Shin Megami Tensei or Suikoden.

SpectacleG
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Star Ocean. Even if it's the First Departure remake for PSP it's a pretty awesome (if unfinished) game. There is a fan translation for the Super Famicom version if I remember correctly.

GrimsChild
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Star Ocean. Even if it's the First Departure remake for PSP it's a pretty awesome (if unfinished) game. There is a fan translation for the Super Famicom version if I remember correctly.

Wait, what do you mean by the PSP version being "unfinished"?

Wallace
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I went out and bought a bunch of old RPG's I used to play on the SNES and I was wondering if anyone knew any others maybe similar that would interest me. I've played all these to hell and back and I'm in need of new ones.

Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
Breath of Fire
Breath of FIre II
Super Castlevania IV
Earthbound
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
Zelda - Link to the Past

I also have a Genesis, N64 and NES never really played those consoles growing up so I'm not sure about what RPG's are out there for them. I have a few on the NES but the others nope.

If the games can be more Action like Secret of Mana/Evermore that would be awesome.

That is one epic collection of RPGs.. I want.

SpectacleG
01-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Wait, what do you mean by the PSP version being "unfinished"?
Well I misworded that. The Super Famicom version was unfinished but the PSP version added bits that had to be removed from the Super Famicom version for cartridge space reasons.

Blaumagier
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I would recommend the original Phantasy Star series on Genesis (and GameGear in the case of 1) (don't start with III though) They are all on VC as well. The MOTHER series you know about, the Chrono series you know about, Final Fantasy you know about, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Ys, Dragon Quest, Persona. That should be enough to get you started.

Brad64LP
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
You should try some of the Pokemon Colosseum games if you haven't already! (Are those considered old-school?)

Kittle
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Cthulhu saves the world is a recent RPG, but old-school style. It's pretty decent, quite humourus.

programmer16
06-26-2012, 01:06 AM
I second Blaumagier's mention of Dragon Quest, and also note that it's named Dragon Warrior in the US. The Dragon Quest series predated and even influenced such series as Final Fantasy and Mother, so it's old-school. Even in the newest games, it still retains the old-school RPG style. Sorry to write a book, but I love Dragon Quest, and I think you would too! Dragon Warrior I through VI are for NES/SNES, so that's 6 great games right there! :shock:

Oculin
06-28-2012, 01:33 AM
You should try some of the Pokemon Colosseum games if you haven't already! (Are those considered old-school?)
I don't think they are considered oldschool or retro yet...
[spoiler:1iq7yzn6]or good.[/spoiler:1iq7yzn6]

But I haven't played 'em, so what do I know.

Masamune
07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Pokémon Colosseum was [spoiler:2ekusb3t]amazing[/spoiler:2ekusb3t]you just have [spoiler:2ekusb3t]bad taste, but it's not like that's a secret or anything[/spoiler:2ekusb3t]

Oculin
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Pokémon Colosseum was [spoiler:3k19d5p4]amazing[/spoiler:3k19d5p4]you just have [spoiler:3k19d5p4]bad taste, but it's not like that's a secret or anything[/spoiler:3k19d5p4]
lol I'm echoing the opinions of others that I've heard. I haven't played it myself to say.

Panda
07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I would only recommend Pokemon Colosseum to big fans of Pokemon. Game progression is slow even by RPG standards, and purifying Pokemon takes forever.

AnythingButAwesome
07-09-2012, 02:45 PM
What about western RPGs? Theres quite a few on gog.com or sometimes I like to play nethack, if you like rougelikes.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

GrimsChild
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Were there many SNES WRPG's? Only one I can think of is Shadowrun and Secret of Evermore.

Panda
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I know a few of the Ultima games made it to the SNES. Wizardry V, too.

GrimsChild
07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I was more thinking of exclusives but yeah, I guess those made it.

I know it's in no way an RPG but if you're looking for good SNES games in general I highly recommend S.O.S: The Human Escape and Uncharted Waters (although I haven't played the latter I've heard good things).

AnythingButAwesome
07-09-2012, 05:39 PM
What about western RPGs? Theres quite a few on gog.com or sometimes I like to play nethack, if you like rougelikes.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Oh, SNES rpgs. I shoulda paid more attention. :? The stuff on GOG is oldschool though.

Hartross
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Can't go wrong with Secret of Mana 1 and 2. Loved those games as a kid.

MSico
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I would recommend the original Phantasy Star series on Genesis (and GameGear/Master System in the case of 1)

ECHO THIS SENTIMENT OMG <3 PHANTASY STAR

You can sometimes find Phantasy Star Collection on GBA which includes 1-3 although I've heard people say there's a save glitch sometimes. Anyway, Virtual Console those games yo!

ALSO. If anyone is interested in the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures tweet at me and I'll send them your way. I recently found where I hid them... from myself? They're prequels, although I got more out of them playing through them after PSII, but you might be the other way around because you're an inside-out people monster.

Oculin
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I would recommend the original Phantasy Star series on Genesis (and GameGear/Master System in the case of 1)

ECHO THIS SENTIMENT OMG <3 PHANTASY STAR

You can sometimes find Phantasy Star Collection on GBA which includes 1-3 although I've heard people say there's a save glitch sometimes. Anyway, Virtual Console those games yo!

ALSO. If anyone is interested in the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures tweet at me and I'll send them your way. I recently found where I hid them... from myself? They're prequels, although I got more out of them playing through them after PSII, but you might be the other way around because you're an inside-out people monster.
You can also get all 4 titles on PS3/360 Genesis collection iirc. You just have to unlock the first title. It's easy, but requires a second controller.

@Phil are they just text translations or is it an actual translation patch? I think you might have sent them to me before, but not sure where I have them.

Masamune
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
pretty sure it's a full in-game translations of them all.

MSico
07-11-2012, 05:56 AM
You can also get all 4 titles on PS3/360 Genesis collection iirc. You just have to unlock the first title. It's easy, but requires a second controller.

@Phil are they just text translations or is it an actual translation patch? I think you might have sent them to me before, but not sure where I have them.

Aw yeah Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection! Basically the best Sega deal of all time.

And I have no idea. The games are in English now.

Blaumagier
07-12-2012, 01:19 AM
I second Blaumagier's mention of Dragon Quest, and also note that it's named Dragon Warrior in the US. The Dragon Quest series predated and even influenced such series as Final Fantasy and Mother, so it's old-school. Even in the newest games, it still retains the old-school RPG style. Sorry to write a book, but I love Dragon Quest, and I think you would too! Dragon Warrior I through VI are for NES/SNES, so that's 6 great games right there! :shock:

I hate to be "that guy" but only Dragon Warrior I, II, III, IV for NES, Dragon Warrior I & II, III, Monsters, Monsters 2 for GBC, and Dragon Warrior VII used the Dragon Warrior moniker in the U.S. - all other games use the Dragon Quest name (this includes Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, IX, Joker 1 & 2, Rocket Slime for DS, VIII for PS2, Swords for Wii, and the upcoming Dragon Quest X for Wii and Wii U. Also Terry's 3D Wonderland and Rocket Slime 3D should they actually get a translation... and then all the fan translated games use the Dragon Quest name, too, but that's a given since they're just hacked versions of the Japanese games.)

Fun fact, all these games still have mention of "Dragon Quest" in their credits, and they were originally meant to be called Dragon Quest, but TSR held the copyright for the name "Dragon Quest" as a D&D module (and I have heard it was quite terrible at that) until they were bought out by Wizards of the Coast, who chose not to renew the copyright.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be "that guy" but you made it sound as if Dragon Warrior is still the name used in NA and I didn't want anyone to be misinformed and miss out on a great game because they couldn't find "Dragon Warrior IX" on Amazon or something ;)

[ Post made via Android ]

alchemistroymustang
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I would recommend getting a reproduction of Mother (aka Earthbound Zero).
Since the game was never released in the states, getting a reproduction of it is a 100 percent legal.

JamesR5767
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd recommend Legend of Dragoon, especially now that it's on PSN for less than $10. I remember playing a demo of it over 10 years ago but could never find a copy to save my life until it hit PSN a couple of months ago in the US. I also recommend FFIX too (also on PSN). If you got a PS3, PSP or PSVita and enough memory, go for those two.

rudy06
08-01-2012, 06:23 AM
I'd recommend Legend of Dragoon, especially now that it's on PSN for less than $10. I remember playing a demo of it over 10 years ago but could never find a copy to save my life until it hit PSN a couple of months ago in the US. I also recommend FFIX too (also on PSN). If you got a PS3, PSP or PSVita and enough memory, go for those two.

Legend of Dragoon is a very interesting game. The combat is based all on timed attacks (except for Shana..I think that is here name), which really makes you pay attention. Eventually it becomes muscle memory, but some of the later ones are just painfully tiresome. XD

I just found a PS1 copy of FFIX for $10 the other day. I was so excited!

I've heard the Lunar games are good and very traditional RPGs as well. I have the second one, but haven't had much of a chance to play it.

GrimsChild
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM
I've completed the PSP remake of Lunar and found it to be a mediocre JRPG with a good translation by XSEED.

I'm playing Suikoden right now and so should all of you.

rudy06
08-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm playing Suikoden right now and so should all of you.

I completely agree. Once I finish a few games, I may finally tackle 3 (Never Played) and 5 (Refused to beat without all 108).

GrimsChild
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Why the UK got Suikoden 1, 2, 4 & 5 but not 3 I will never understand.

Panda
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Spend a good 10+ hours playing 3. Honestly, it was alright but nothing to call home about.

GrimsChild
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Also why did the UK get Xenosaga 2 but not Xenosaga 1 & 3?

Boggles the mind.

Masamune
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
i've been wondering that myself for a long time, makes no logical sense whatsoever

torimori
08-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Paper Mario for the N64...okay not THAT old school, but still. Another good one is Super Mario RPG. Also gotta recommend Earthbound and Earthbound 0, if you like grinding.

08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
D&D. Imagination n' crap.