PDA

View Full Version : Black March

Masamune
01-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Thursday, March 1st 2012 to Saturday, March 31st 2012
SOPA & PIPA have been halted for now, but PCIPA is now getting pushed!
With the continuing campaigns for Internet-censoring litigation such as SOPA and PIPA, and the closure of sites such as Megaupload under allegations of 'piracy' and 'conspiracy', the time has come to take a stand against music, film and media companies' lobbyists.

The only way to hit them where it truly hurts... Their profit margins.

Do not buy a single record. Do not download a single song, legally or illegally. Do not go to see a single film in cinemas, or download a copy. Do not buy a DVD in the stores. Do not buy a videogame. Do not buy a single book or magazine.

Wait the 4 weeks to buy them in April, see the film later, etc. Holding out for just 4 weeks will lave a gaping hole in the media and entertainment companies' profits for the 1st quarter. An economic hit which will in turn be observed by governments worldwide as stocks and shares will blip from a large enough loss of incomes.basically giving the finger to companies and governments whom are attempting to infringe on basic freedom

let's do it

the1stpkmnfan
01-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Not purchasing a game in March will be a challenge for me (Mario Party 9), but I'll do my best to support this.

Trust, Me I Got This
01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
"Don't purchase a video game" Haha............ No. Not when I'll only actually be able to buy Resident Evil Revelations in March and not when games like Metal Gear Solid 3D and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City are being released in March. All the other things I can do easily because I don't buy music and rarely go to a cinema. I do buy a lot of DVDs but I can go a month without them

notmman
01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
How will this Help?

First up, you don't need to buy music if you can just download the song off Youtube.

Second, you can watch a movie through Netflix (sure you have to pay for it but still).

I can't see everybody getting behind this. I also can't see the entertainment industry thinking that this will make an impact. Sure it's one month, but overall that won't affect the profit margins of April because there would be a mass buying spree after the month has passed.

What big website supports this movement? Are there enough people behind this to partake in such a movement?

If you don't have enough people behind this and you don't have the publicity from the media on this entertainment blackout then this is pointless and quite frankly an act of stupidity.

Just my opinion.

Muzy72
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Boycotts only work if everyone does it. Not even close to everyone will do it, so there's no point. Of course there's the "You gotta start somewhere" thing, but still. If nobody does it, there's no point at all.

Overload
01-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm on board, and my birthday's in March. If I can resist buying and having a game bought for me, you all can. You just gotta believe. Small sacrifice now, crisis averted.

Wallace
01-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Actually not everyone has to boycott for it to work.. Really, think about it.. If even 10% of the population does it that is still millions of dollars out of their pockets. They will feel it.

Either way.. this part doesn't compute.

Do not buy a single record. Do not download a single song, legally or illegally

Sorry but I would think that getting it illegally would be an even bigger spit in their face.

Baltes
01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
This sounds exactly like those "dont pump gas on XX Date"
IF you make an impact enough to drive first quarter sales down (doubtful) they just skyrocket at start of next quarter.
What do you really accomplish?
A minor fluctuation in the market, which in the end hurts us, the consumer, because both retailers and publishers will look somewhere to make up the loss which means broad price increases, job cuts, etc
The mpaa is run by the government and he government runs the mpaa, the change is inevitable
What we will eventually accomplish is censorship as a necessary evil.under the Patriot Act or similar. Hacktivism and splinter groups, openly disrupting the economy, etc. will be considered acts of terrorism and the government will feel forced or use the oportunity to justify a closed internet

Wallace
01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Right Baltes, it's inevitable that all of our rights guaranteed by the bill of rights will be stripped away to "Protect" the rights of the wealthy.

But a Closed Internet Baltes? They can try to close it all they want but you know it won't work. You know there are ways of encrypting data to prevent your ISP from reading your packets when you download. There are proxies that prevent them from seeing what sites you go to. And when push comes to shove.. people will fight back.

topbunkdd89
01-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Easier said then done

Baltes
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
People will fight back, its why China is such a free country

Trust, Me I Got This
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Bazinga.

alchemistroymustang
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
This sounds exactly like those "dont pump gas on XX Date"
IF you make an impact enough to drive first quarter sales down (doubtful) they just skyrocket at start of next quarter.
What do you really accomplish?
A minor fluctuation in the market, which in the end hurts us, the consumer, because both retailers and publishers will look somewhere to make up the loss which means broad price increases, job cuts, etc
The mpaa is run by the government and he government runs the mpaa, the change is inevitable
What we will eventually accomplish is censorship as a necessary evil.under the Patriot Act or similar. Hacktivism and splinter groups, openly disrupting the economy, etc. will be considered acts of terrorism and the government will feel forced or use the oportunity to justify a closed internet
First stop being such a Pessimist!
Second there is a way to defeat the military industrial complex. The military industrial complex is a three headed monster (military, media, and K street) like the monster in the Heracles mythology and it can be killed the same way, by a huge boulder aka campaign finance reform, get money out and the military industrial complex dies.

Wallace
01-31-2012, 01:14 AM

They have NEVER had the balls to fight back. They believe the lies told by their government. However, we are a country born from revolution.. and revolution will inevitably be how our nation will end, and be rebuilt.

01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
thanks for that visual wallace... of revolution. You people are mean to me.

Anyways, i think that this is a wonderful idea masa. If you want to pursue it, you have my vote :).

Baltes
01-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Lol Wallace exactly
However too many Americans are also brainwashed, or too scared to stand up
Without that revolition, we will never regain our country

Kylethedarkn
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't see the american public doing anything unless a lot of rights get taken away. Your average person doesn't care if Youtube is shutdown, or if pirates go to jail, as long as they have their McDonalds and their Cable television, etc. I Googled this so it may not be very accurate, but the percentage of Americans who don't even use the internet is 30%. So already right there, you have 30% or people who aren't going to care about what happens to the internet.

Wallace
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
The first revolution was not popular at first. Neither will the next one be. It won't be over rights lost on the internet. It will be over a multitude of things. It will be movements like the Occupy movements, and the tea party movements that could become violent given the right circumstances.

Trust, Me I Got This
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't see the american public doing anything unless a lot of rights get taken away. Your average person doesn't care if Youtube is shutdown, or if pirates go to jail, as long as they have their McDonalds and their Cable television, etc. I Googled this so it may not be very accurate, but the percentage of Americans who don't even use the internet is 30%. So already right there, you have 30% or people who aren't going to care about what happens to the internet.
That 30% are the people who are trying to enforce ACTA/SOPA/PIPA

notmman
02-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Easier said then done

Pretty much this.

We've already had a day of blackouts, I doubt not buying anything entertainment related is going to help.

02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
First of all, I get notm's idea because he stated in the sopa and pipa black out that it wouldn't work. Makes sense that this wouldn't work.

However, what baltes, wallace, and trust are saying doesn't quite make sense to me. How does sopa and pipa work but not this? personally, I think this'll work simply because it's a month rather than a day. Also, the fiscal year would probably be best at the end of the quarter, not at the beginning or middle. It could hypothetically work that way. Just to bust wallace's theory, any properly trained Accountant can tell you how much total profit a company made that month with expenses and dividends and etc...

Lastly, I cannot stress the fact that this is not in the discussion forums, I'd like to request to move it out of the lounge, since I cannot post there and I don't want to see wallace's and balte's posts about how stupid the chinese and americans are. This part of the forum is a forum that can be viewed by everyone and that some people would be terrified to see. The rules to this part of the forum are not what they are in the discussion forum. There are way to many opinions flying about in this thread. I don't think this is the fault of masa. And yes I do realize that this wasn't shoved down my throat, but I do have my opinions on the chinese government; I am not allowed to post about it in fear of my post getting deleted due to the fact of the rules of tsg.

Baltes
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
This isn't a discussion topic though, that's just what's happening
I don't see any posts saying America and China are stupid.
What's wrong with your opinion on the chinese government, so long as it isnt obscene it can be posted here.

02-01-2012, 03:02 PM

They have NEVER had the balls to fight back. They believe the lies told by their government. However, we are a country born from revolution.. and revolution will inevitably be how our nation will end, and be rebuilt.

Baltes
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
the big thing i think is key is the "don't buy in march, wait until april thing"
the quarter matters, but the annual numbers matter more, so if we have one low quarter, then 2nd quarter is higher and accounts for the difference, stockholders (like me) who may attention to these things understand that it's temporary

1 month will send the message that you can hold out...for a month

Muzy72
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Baltes is completely right. Sure, the fiscal year will end with sales dipping, but the next fiscal year will start with amazing sales, because all the things you vowed not to purchase in March will be purchased in April.

[ Post made via Samsung Epic ]

Baltes
02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
oh yeah Muzy, i forgot big business often doesn't go by calander year, and that's something that the person who wrote the original Black March didn't take into consideration either

like the US government, March 31st is the end of SECOND quarter
for the UK government and much UK based business March 31 ends the fiscal year, this is the same for Japan and much of its business

from the original Black March text the guy was speaking from a strictly quarter-based standpoint
and on the small, quarter scale, the impact could be negligible

DrewStern
02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I couldn't convince anybody to stop shopping for an entire month, how about any of you?

Baltes
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
i need to purchase food, which changes hands dozens of times, through dozens of companies, with hundreds of affiliations, with thousands of lobyists
it's virtually impossible not to purchase something that isn't connected in some manner to a supporter of these legislations
i need to purchase fuel for my vehicle, i need to pay my cable bill, and the money from my cable bill eventually makes its way to hollywood
i need to pay my netflix, the money goes to hollywood
i could shut off my tv/internet/netflix, but is anyone going to shut off their tv/internet/netfix?
of course not, so to me...Black March seems a nice idea, but one that falls so short
all or nothing
if you'll shut off your internet for a month, your cable for a month, your netflix for a month, AND not pay the bill, and resume your bill in a month and NOT pay up 100%, just stay a month behind, then the companies all legitimately lose that money
their policies usually allow you to be at least a month behind, so you can pay this months bill when NEXT months bill is due, leaving a huge gaping hole in revenue for march which is NOT replaced in april

Wallace
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Or perhaps we just kill one CEO a day for the full month, and change the name to "Red March"

Baltes
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Hahaha Wallace I like it

Trust, Me I Got This
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Or perhaps we just kill one CEO a day for the full month, and change the name to "Red March"
Best idea I have heard.