PDA

View Full Version : The future of television!

MSico
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I am CRAZY excited for this, you guys. Netflix has released the first season of a TV show to ever completely circumvent TV-- you won't see this anywhere but a DVD player or streaming. It's called Lilyhammer and I'll link a trailer but it has some swearin' so MIND YOUR VIRGIN EARS, KIDS.

[youtube:15v3wirq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRgVbp9gSY[/youtube:15v3wirq]

It looks pretty solid, at least enough so for me to give it a shot.

The implications of this are much greater though. Some of you might remember when Futurama was originally on the air and taken down, and almost a decade later we got a new "season" of episodes as four straight-to-DVD movies, the first TV show to release new content direct to consumers off any network (although it was eventually aired and new episodes eventually ran/are running/will run). Arrested Development will also be back in the not-too-distant future, with a new season (courtesy of Netflix) to precede the film.

We are living in a time of an important transition, where TV shows don't need a network to bring them back from the dead. Soon it will be plausible to have a TV show released straight-to-DVD, marketed directly to the fans in case of a network not being sure if it should be picked up when Two And A Half Men still pulls down wretchedly obscene ratings. A time when you don't need a Nielson box to make a difference as to what gets made next. A time when the consumer culture has not just the opportunity to create something to share with their friends as something 'indie', but the opportunity for the 'indie' to actually impact the mainstream in a much greater capacity than just Paranormal Activity or Clerks or Monsters, but with serialized plots and full mini-serieses and continuing stories. A time when we might see shows that don't include front-runners because that's what sells commercial space, but more experimental stuff that finds its audience and lives off more than a strange corner of FX or TLC or AMC.

THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE Y'ALL _awesome_

Daskichan
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
This actually looks pretty dang awesome. I have netflix already so I'll definitely check out a few episodes when I get the chance.

DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE. 8D

JasefWisener
02-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm super excited if only because of Arrested Development.

It's also going to be really interesting as a film student to see how things change.

Kennyan
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM
This would be great if not for "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet"..

Get back to me when there's a site that's actually useful for everyone..

FeilOng156
02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, this is amazing news and a great transcendence point for TV and shows in general. But in an age where movie stores are dying out, how are most of these going to get around? There's Netflix, but what about other series?

MSico
02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh man... I really hope someday the media gets it together with international copyright, that IS ridiculous. Media should be media wherever you go. It's stupid that each country wants to put holds on stuff like that, especially streaming content. As though the internet works differently in different places.

[ Post made via Android ]