PDA

View Full Version : Roku

Wallace
03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I bought this little box called Roku (http://www.roku.com/) because I wanted Netflix in my bedroom. I thought about hooking up the Wii, or Xbox in my room.. but the TV in the living room is much bigger, and it wouldn't be right to do that to the kids. Anyway, to sum it up.. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

Not only can I play Netflix on it but there is a whole host of channels I have access to. One channel is in beta phase called "Plex" lets me stream movies from my computer, to the TV. Yes, I can do this on the Xbox, but not with srt subtitle files.. I need to be able to use subtitles as I have a hard of hearing woman. Plex actually lets me use sub files! Also Plex actually seems more stable then using normal Windows media file sharing. It has it's problem but it's cool.

Then there are the other small odds and ends that makes Roku useful. Hulu plus for one, and Justin.tv for another! That's right.. The next marathon may be watched from my TV!

The box that sits on the tv is about 4x4 inches wide and about 2 inches tall. Not very big at all.. but it work.

BTW I got the Roku 2 model, it was on sale for the same price as the original box, because they were out of stock of the Roku 1.

Baltes
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
i use tversity media server to handle media streaming over my network

Mr. Olimario
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
And then Wallace turned into a Spam Bot.

Wallace
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
And then Wallace turned into a Spam Bot.

Not spam!!! It's no different then posting about my computer build (to come) like Baltes did.. It's not my fault the thing is only one piece of hardware instead of many.

Mr. Olimario
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
^I know. But at first glance, it did really look like a spam bot's post xD

kmmgreen5
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
ya ive been thinking bout getting something like this :Va i was hoping my network bluray player would have stuff like that but its just youtube netflix and various movie apps i'll say this though watching ponies in hd on the big screen is great <w<

[ Post made via Android ]

Alison
03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Ughhhhh.

I have a Roku. It crashes all the time.

Wallace
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Ughhhhh.

Which one do you have? Mine hasn't crashed at all..

Alison
03-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Ughhhhh.

Which one do you have? Mine hasn't crashed at all..
I think it's Roku 2 XS. It has worked well on occasion, but often when I try to play a video it spontaneously reboots itself or becomes unresponsive.

Kylethedarkn
03-11-2012, 03:20 AM
that's basically how i use my wii with homebrew. it's nice but no hd

Wallace
03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
that's basically how i use my wii with homebrew. it's nice but no hd

I have the Wii Homebrew thing too. I never actually played any videos from a network, but I have used it to play my movies with subtitles via USB drive. It's done pretty well, and I have no complaints. I can't take the Wii to my bedroom tho.

Now, not only can I use my phone as a remote for my Roku with an Android app.. but I can use my computer as a remote With this (http://remoku.tv/)

Kylethedarkn
03-11-2012, 08:41 AM
That's cool. I do like media boxes.