PDA

View Full Version : SSX

untuxable
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
This thread is probably a little late, but whatev.

This is only the second game I've ever gotten on the day of release, and MAN was it worth it. I've been playing it pretty much nonstop, and I've gotta say, it's lived up to my expectations, which is pretty difficult considering I'm the biggest (and only) SSX fanboy I know. I'm just glad they finally got a sequel to SSX 3 right.

Btw, anybody with the game on Xbox360, feel free to friend me. GT: Untuxable.

diddyknux
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I would friend you, but I'm on the PS3. However, I do agree that its a fantastic game. This is the first SSX I've played, and I love it, mainly because of the over the top-ness. Love just jumping off like a 100 foot cliff face and just moving on like its nothing... even if you beef it.

The Deadly Descents are a fun part of it, too. It was originally called SSX: Deadly Descent, and it could still be, there's enough of them. Some of the Backcounty Drops are actually harder then the real Deadly Descents, so its always fun to see how crazy those drops are.

I also like the way records work in this game. You have your basic bronze, silver, and gold medals for each drop. But you also get rewarded for beating friend's ghost times. But maybe even better, if you don't have friends with ghosts on a drop, you can also compete against you own best score for a drop and get rewarded for beating it. In this way, the game has almost infinite replayability, since there will always be an incentive to beat your score.

I'm just rambling now. Bottom line, its an awesome game, and I agree with untuxable in recommending it. Even for people who don't normally like "sports" games, because its definetly more of an arcade feel. I hate sports games but love this.

Also, if you have it on PS3, I also shamelessly request friendship. :lol:

untuxable
03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Since you liked this one, I'd highly recommend checking out SSX 3, which was considered the best in the series until this one.

Some of the Backcounty Drops are actually harder then the real Deadly Descents, so its always fun to see how crazy those drops are.

Have you checked out the backcountry peak in the Alps? There are 2 routes (One Step Ahead and Sentinel) that are just downright insane. Both of them are super thin and super curvy, not to mention one of them throws some fog in there. Not "whiteout" fog, but it still causes some trouble.

diddyknux
03-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I haven't really done much in the Alps at all. I did recently check out a drop in Pantagonia... Last Call, I think? Its not really a mountain, its more like a pit with a few cliffs dotted about.

untuxable
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I've gotten most of the achievements already, I just have a few Badges left to get, most of them long-term kinds of things like "fly in a wingsuit for 60 minutes total."

By the way, has anyone had any trouble with getting credits from the "While you were away" notification, because I'm missing probably 30-40 million in winnings from stuff over the past week or so. I don't think my online pass is faulty or run out because I can get the credits if I'm online at the time the event ends, it's only when I'm offline I don't get them.

diddyknux
03-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I've never had a problem with it, so I don't know.

untuxable
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Now it's just messing with me. I started it up today, and it randomly gave me 11 million credits, but didn't specify what for.......I guess I'll take what I can get.

By the way, apparently there was some event where if a certain amount of people joined on both Xbox and PS3, they would add a level 11. I just read about it a few minutes ago, and enough people must have joined because you can now purchase the ability for a lvl 10 character to get to lvl 11 by paying 1 million credits. Just highlight them on the selection screen and there should be the option in the bottom left corner.

BobberyFan98
03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I went ahead and sent you a friend request tux. My GT is Dawn of Raya, as you can see in my sidebar next to this post.

I've been playing Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, but I'm going back to SSX eventually. It's an amazing game, a little repetitive, but amazing nonetheless.

untuxable
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I went ahead and sent you a friend request tux. My GT is Dawn of Raya, as you can see in my sidebar next to this post.

I've been playing Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, but I'm going back to SSX eventually. It's an amazing game, a little repetitive, but amazing nonetheless.

Oh, I was wondering who you were. Cool, thanks.

Apparently that trouble with the WYWA that I've been having is affecting everybody on Xbox since the last update. Hopefully, they're working on it.

Oculin
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
I only played the demo, but something about the controls really turned me off. They felt way too loose and that I couldn't make like tiny adjustments. If I wanted to make a turn, it was all or nothing. I thought at first maybe I just couldn't remember the controls of SSX Tricky and On Tour, but I went back to play them and they just feel completely different.

That being said, I only played the demo, so I don't know if like different boards or whatever would change that down the line.

untuxable
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
They did adjust the turning slightly from the demo from what I can tell. Frankly, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I noticed the same thing when I played the demo, but after a few hours playing the actual game, I got used to it, and now I'm perfectly fine weaving in and out of tight turns.

The only thing that really bothers me is the tendency for the riders to gravitate towards walls a little more than they should. Whenever I'm going through a narrow section and I jump, half the time I end up trying to ride the wall rather than stay on the ground. Thankfully, there aren't too many super narrow sections with high walls to worry about. Besides, half the time, I can just wingsuit over them.

diddyknux
04-18-2012, 01:33 AM
The first DLC pack has been announced for May 1st. New characters and a new Mountain, from what I understand. Apparently, the pack is heavily influenced by SSX Tricky, so it should be cool.

...Here's hoping for the Yeti!

untuxable
04-19-2012, 07:45 PM
The first DLC pack has been announced for May 1st. New characters and a new Mountain, from what I understand. Apparently, the pack is heavily influenced by SSX Tricky, so it should be cool.

Sweet. It'd be pretty awesome if they revamped some of the old tracks. I could do with seeing some Tricky throwback tracks like Metro City and the Tokyo Megaplex. Now that I think about it, the new mountain could be in Japan and have a new Megaplex along with a few separate runs.

diddyknux
04-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Sweet. It'd be pretty awesome if they revamped some of the old tracks. I could do with seeing some Tricky throwback tracks like Metro City and the Tokyo Megaplex. Now that I think about it, the new mountain could be in Japan and have a new Megaplex along with a few separate runs.

Actually, on the PS3 version, there is an exclusive Japan mountain, Mt. Fuji. (If your curious, the exclusivity ends 8/29, so XBox users can expect to see that around then). Could still be Japanese themed if they do take from SSX Tricky, though.

diddyknux
08-07-2012, 09:42 PM
So, they released update 3.0 for SSX. This update fixes some bugs with credits and Geotags, but also adds 2 new game modes: "Free Ride" and "3, 2, 1, GO!". Free ride allows you to play a course without worrying about time, score, or ghosts. You can just explore the course and practice it. I'm not sure if Geotags still show up in this mode, as I haven't gotten to try out the update myself yet, but Free Ride still sounds cool.

3, 2, 1, GO! is a new mode for Global Events where you play against with up to 5 people simultaneous, head-to-head. Don't know the exact details of how it works, but its something a lot of people have been asking for since the game came out, so its cool.

untuxable
08-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Man, i haven't played SSX is a while. With the addition of the simultaneous online play, i might have to get back into it. Not to mention I still haven't gotten the DLC or the japan mountain.