PDA

View Full Version : Shift Key Popping Off Laptop Keyboard

Pantaro
04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I can only get a few presses of the shift key before it becomes loose again. As proof, while typing this message, the shift key popped off twice! How do I make sure that The Shift Key and the Keyboard don't get separated easily again?

For details, the Thingumabob (way to be descriptive) that looks kinda like a scissor lift is attached to the key and does not appear to be broken.

Wallace
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Laptop keys are annoying to put back on.. Just play around with it to see if you can get it to stay on, if not you may need to replace your keyboard on the laptop. Seeing as how that usually requires you to take the laptop apart and you may not be comfortable doing so you may have to pay a professional to do it. If it's still under warranty it might not cost you a thing if you call the manufacturer.

Pantaro
04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Fortunately I have it so if I press on the half of the key closest to the screen, it won't pop off, and I am slowly adapting to the other shift key. I highly doubt it is still under warranty, I've had it since Summer 2008. And as for now, it seems a bit excessive to call in a professional to fix one small key. Maybe if the key was the spacebar or enter, but for now...

Kylethedarkn
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
It may be slightly not attached to the the laptop anymore. If you youtube laptop key replacement there's actually a nice tutorial on how to do it. It's a little tricky and you have to be careful but you should be able to do it no problem.

idontgame
04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
It sounds like you are having an issue with the hinge clip under the laptop key, have you taken the key off and examine it to see if there are any little part that is broken? the parts are small and may be hard to see, but sounds to me like you have a bad hinge clip, they do wear off from use, you may want to take a look at http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com and see if they carry the laptop key you need, i hope this helps you.

KingSimba77
04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I had a problem with my left ctrl key earlier this year, and I came across the site idontgame posted. Trust me, I ordered the key and maybe 2-3 weeks later it arrived, and it only cost me like $6 or so. Once the key arrived, it was a very simple fix to put the new key back onto the keyboard. You just have to select the laptop laptop brand, series, etc, then select the specific key, and that's it. They sent a business card as well, so I gave it to the computer repair guy my family knows as he never heard of the website.