PDA

View Full Version : G4's Top 100 Games Of All Time

Marche100
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Putting this here because it kind of envelops all kinds of games, so why not the Lounge, since it doesn't fit into a specific category of games. Anyways, it'll probably get more attention in the Lounge, and a list this awful needs to be seen and destroyed.

Here's the list, get ready to complain:

[spoiler:18nd52vd]100. Pong
99. Words with Friends
98. Pitfall
97. NBA 2K11
96. Guitar Hero 2
95. Burger Time
94. Braid
93. Star Wars: Tie Fighter
92. Galaga
91. The Sims
90. Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn
89. Left 4 Dead
88. Double Dribble
87. Mass Effect 2
86. Outrun
85. Silent Hill 2
84. Wii Sports
83. Ninja Gaiden
82. Super Smash Bros. Melee
81. Resident Evil
80. Gears of War 3
79. Psychonauts
78. Spy Hunter
77. Excitebike
76. Blades of Steel
75. Fallout 3
74. Star Fox 64
73. Mega Man 2
72. Mortal Kombat
71. Wing Commander II: V of the K
70. Star Wars
69. Double Dragon
68. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
67. Minecraft
66. Assassin's Creed II
65. Unreal Tournament
64. NBA Jam
63. Wolfenstein 3D
62. Sid Meier's Civilization II
61 God of War III
60. Contra
59. Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle
58. Ultima Online
57. Pokemon Red/Blue
56. Super Street Fighter IV
55. Kingdom Hearts
54. Gauntlet
53. Deus Ex
52. Rock Band 3
51. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
50. Sonic the Hedgehog
49. Angry Birds
48. Tecmo Bowl
47. Myst
46. Red Dead Redemption
45. Metal Gear Solid
44. Grand Theft Auto IV
43. Quake III: Arena
42. Ghosts N Goblins
41. Super Mario 64
40. Space Invaders
39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
38. Super Metroid
37. Halo
36. Batman: Arkham City
35. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
34. Counter Strike
33. Final Fantasy VII
32. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
31. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
30. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
29. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
28. Super Mario Kart
27. Chrono Trigger
26. Ico
25. Grand Theft Auto III
24. Madden NFL 2005
23. Halo 3
22. Panzer Dragoon Saga
21. Resident Evil 4
20. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
19. Diablo 2
18. Ms. Pac-Man
17. StarCraft
16. Half-Life
15. Donkey Kong
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
13. Portal
12. Doom II
11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10. World of Warcraft
09. Shadow of the Colossus
08. Goldeneye 007
07. Super Mario Bros. 3
06. The Legend of Zelda
05. Tetris
04. Asteroids
03. BioShock
02. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
01. Super Mario Bros.[/spoiler:18nd52vd]

This list is horrible on so many levels. Whoever made it should be fired. Words With Friends isn't even a game. It's an app, and a rip-off of Scrabble at that. It doesn't deserve to be the greatest anything on any list. Same goes for Angry Birds. It's just a rip off of the flash game Storm the Castle. And who in their right mind put Angry Birds as better than games like Deus Ex, Kingdom Hearts, God of War 3, Assassin's Creed II, Star Fox 64, heck the list goes on! Not only that, but a Madden game is on this list! I mean, really, do I need to explain what's so wrong with that, because it's pretty obvious that something like that shouldn't be ANYWHERE near a list like this. Also, Wii Sports? Really?!

This list is just embarrassing, and a disgrace. So, what do you think about it now that I've had my rage bit?

wee187
06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
It's really just a few guys with an opinion and decided to make a list about it. I'm sure if I made a list, it would get just as much hate as this one. Or if anyone made one for that matter. So I don't think it's a disgrace or anything. I'm actually happy there are quite a few excellent games on that list, be they casual or hardcore, or anything in between.

However, I do wish there was some mention of The World Ends With You, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Journey somewhere in there. Not to mention Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is personally my favourite Mario game.

lionheart91
06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
No offense to you, but if anyone takes anything G4 says about video games seriously then they are a fool. It's like listening to Roger Ebert when he talks about video games. G4 is not about video games anymore, and their "journalists" are the least credible journalists this side of IGN.

untuxable
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
I just don't bother reading "top 100 _____" lists anymore because I always end up getting annoyed at how dumb they are when compared to my own opinion. Or common sense.

PokemonCheese
06-24-2012, 09:18 PM
People have different tastes in game. I'm just going to use me and my fiance' as an example.
He likes first person shooters and games like Minecraft. I like Japanese RPGs, adventure and action games. We'd both make different top 100 lists. G4 has it's own view on how video games should be. I can always remember them bashing Kingdom Hearts, or some game that I absolutely love. It's their opinions though. We could all make top 100 lists, and they'd all have amazing games on it. [:

Sandslice
06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
My question would be, how do they determine "top?"

It's certainly not by top-selling, since Pokemon Gen 1 is only #57 and not near the top. It's not by raw popularity; Famitsu 06 top 100 was done by raw popularity, and the top ten was dominated by Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (the FF games being 10 #1, 7 #2, 4 #6, and 3 #8!)

It's not by the game's influence on the industry. SFII itself got no mention, while Ultra Mega Hyper Street Fighter II' Extra Special Champion Combat Edition FEATURING GOUKI, and the repeat of the trend with SSFIV' did. FF7... but not 2 or 4, both of which had more influence on RPGs than 7 can boast.

It betrays a strange mix of loves: FPS, WRPG, Valve, and very modern games on the one; the NES and SNES heavily on the other. It is afraid to miss any genre, except for strategy games. It has no fear of multiple instances of Mario, Link, the Shoto Bros, GTA, and Halo, but Arceus forbid that more than one FF or Pokemon game make the cut (let alone any Phantasy Star game!)

I don't take them seriously - my grain of salt could fill the Dead Sea. I'm just curious as to how they derived the list. _metroid_

diddyknux
06-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Honestly, I thought it was actually kind of cool. I usually don't take top whatever lists too seriously anyway, so I wasn't bothered by what was on there. I was surprised, pleasantly, at the mix of games they had on there. And in any case, this list would have been complained about no matter what was on it.

WindWaker910
06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Well OoT isn't #1 for once so that's a plus. Although RDR needs to be a lot higher and I definitely wouldn't call Bioshock the third best game of all time. It's good, but not that good.

Although I tend to take lists like this with a grain of salt because I rarely agree with anything on them lol

NicoCW
06-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Nobody should EVER make a "Top 100 games list". You just CAN'T do that. If this was called "My personal 100 favorite games", it would be fine, but no, there's no definitive "best game ever made".

And yeah, this is G4 we're talking about. They probably don't even know what a video game is.

GrimsChild
06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
I don't believe that anyone on G4 has played Panzer Dragoon Saga

And Outrun better than Outrun 2? Wha?

Masamune
06-25-2012, 04:19 AM
wait wha, how is Zelda 1 at #6 and the highest Zelda? i mean yeah sure, it was massively influential, but it's aged quite badly and has long been surpassed buy successors, imitators, and even predecessors.

Marche100
06-25-2012, 04:54 AM
wait wha, how is Zelda 1 at #6 and the highest Zelda? i mean yeah sure, it was massively influential, but it's aged quite badly and has long been surpassed buy successors, imitators, and even predecessors.

*cough*

"02. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"

Anyways, it would seem that they derived the list back and forth based on actual great games to revolutionary value. Like take Psychonauts, which was on the list. Not exactly revolutionary, considering it sold very poorly, although it's an excellent game, nonetheless. Then you have Super Mario Bros., which of course was revolutionary. I think they really should have just stuck to just choosing actual great games. I think that revolutionary games are not necessarily great games. (Angry Birds fell into the slot of 'revolutionary', which I adamantly believe it is most certainly not, and then you have games like Pong, which I don't think anyone would call 'great'.)

You all make good points, though. I guess I should take this a bit less seriously. Still, as a person who's played most of the games on that list, seeing games like Madden, Angry Birds, and Words With Friends beat out some true classics is infuriating to a degree.

Either way, it's certainly one of the more...controversial lists out there (maybe I should have put this in discussions), so it's worth some debate and discussion.

GrimsChild
06-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Even I could make a better top 100 games list than this.

Marche100
06-25-2012, 05:25 AM

/thread

the1stpkmnfan
06-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't ever consider "APPS" a video game, but that's just me. Never really cared about what G4 posts about, and a Top 100 Best games list just doesn't do it for me. Or best anything. I'm a little sad to see no Sunshine on the list, but I can't say I'm not surprised it isn't. So underrated.

I remember 5 years ago when Nickelodeon did a Top 100 of the best episodes of their Nicktoons, and SpongeBob took cover of about 1/10 of them or more, being #1 of course. Some people can't agree with that, considering the classics like Rugrats, Rocket Power, etc, were in competition, too. It was a new generation of viewers who were watching the channel, so it was their opinion, and it's not a complete analysis in statistics.

Kind of off the main topic, but I just thought I could show an example of Top 100's in general.

Marche100
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't ever consider "APPS" a video game, but that's just me. Never really cared about what G4 posts about, and a Top 100 Best games list just doesn't do it for me. Or best anything. I'm a little sad to see no Sunshine on the list, but I can't say I'm not surprised it isn't. So underrated.

Really? I'd say that it's overrated. Every time I hear about it, it's nothing but people gushing over how awesome it is. I love the graphics and the music in it, that much is awesome, and the whole concept is great, but to my the level design and the physics are unforgivable. There are so many unnecessary deaths just because the level design is horrible or the physics don't work as they should. And then you get a game over and you get to start all over again. Case in point, Yoshi. Yoshi has the absolute worst physics of anything in any game I've ever seen. I ragequit while trying to put a handle on Yoshi's physics and I swore never to play it again, and that's exactly what I'll do. How people can stand Sunshine with the big gaping problems it has I'll never understand. The one thing I'd say we can all agree on about is that the final boss is just weird. Never again, Nintendo. Please, never make a final boss like that again.

rudy06
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
For the list...I can definitely say I do not agree with many of their choices/ordering. However, I did get to watch a portion of the show. It was great to hear about different people's memories of different games AND my memories of specific games. Whether or not I believed it should have been on there or where it should have been, I did enjoy the show simply for the reminiscence factor.

But just as a top 100 list...meh.

lionheart91
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM

Still waiting for that by the way :lol:

GrimsChild
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm down to the last 30 excluding honourable mentions.

Marche100
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm down to the last 30 excluding honourable mentions.

Can't wait to see it.

Godzilla145
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Opinions, opinions, opinions. There is no fact as to what games are the quintessential top 100 as of today. No one could even decide that. G4's list is g4's list. Doesn't matter if you even play videogames or not, everyone has their preferences. You get someone who started in the arcades and has played all the way to today versus someone who started near the snes or gamecube, and you'll get a whole lot of differing lists. Ya just can't please everyone, heck if I made a list, most of what is considered beloved on the majority of the tsg forums wouldn't be anywhere near the top ten. And opinions of course change for each individual not just with new game being introduced to a person whether they be new at the time or new to them, but also how games they've already played change in their eyes because new interests or passions. There is no winning.

Now to debate on whether angry birds deserves to be on any top videogame list is a moot point.
Is it something you can play that can call it a game? Yes.
Is it visually represented on a screen? Yes.
Is it therefore a videogame? Yes.
Is it simple yet addictive and to a point manipulated in all sorts of medium that it gets sickening to look at? Sadly yes.
Does that make it less of a game? No.
Could we say the same for something like pong back in the day? Yes, but we don't hate pong cause it's one of the classics and tons of people who played it loved it. But say if it wasn't one of the first and was introduced today as is and it caught wildfire just as angrybirds did, how could we "real gamers" not hate it as much as angry birds, cause by today's console standards we really couldn't call it a "real videogame".

No, I don't think we should hate on something along the lines of angrybirds or any "app game" just because it's considered "casual" by most and on a platform that is considered a gaming console second and a phone first(though that itself is a bit debatable). If millions enjoy a game, why not recognize it's brilliance in it's sheer simplicity to give even non gamers something to enjoy. A lot of people like all the old classic arcade games and they ain't anywhere near what makes a console game a "game" in our eyes today, yet we still love them. Don't hate on angrybirds or the people who play it. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and pass on what you don't.

Masamune
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

*cough*

"02. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"I TOTALLY SAW THIS, AND UHH...

THAT WAS A TEST, YOU PASS MARCHE
I'm down to the last 30 excluding honourable mentions.1. killer7
2-99. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
100. Panzer Dragoon Saga

The list on the whole brings to light a number of issues: should a 'Top 100 Games' list attempt to be objective, or should it merely be subjective? If the former, it brings to light the issue of 'what is an objectively good game', an issue that has been present (though not entirely prominent) since the medium's inception; if the latter, should the list be merely the writers' points of view, or should it reflect the opinions of the gaming populace of the time?

Marche100
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
The list on the whole brings to light a number of issues: should a 'Top 100 Games' list attempt to be objective, or should it merely be subjective? If the former, it brings to light the issue of 'what is an objectively good game', an issue that has been present (though not entirely prominent) since the medium's inception; if the latter, should the list be merely the writers' points of view, or should it reflect the opinions of the gaming populace of the time?

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6635/inceptionv.png

ER, YES, THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GETTING AT THIS WHOLE TIME. THAT WAS A TEST, MASAMUNE, AND YOU PASSED.

/thread /thread /thread

Seriously, good points, though. Ones that I am too tired right now to discuss.

GrimsChild
06-26-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as objectivly good or bad and that quality is only a percieved notion.

Hence why Superman 64 is No.1 on my list and you can't convince me otherwise

lionheart91
06-26-2012, 06:24 AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?! I AM OUTRAGED THAT SHAQ FU IS NOT #1

GrimsChild
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Shaq Fu is not a video game.

It's a way of life.

Marche100
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?! I AM OUTRAGED THAT SHAQ FU IS NOT #1

Grim pls.

AnythingButAwesome
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I have a copy of Shaq Fu signed by the black Power Ranger. Once people realize what a masterpiece that game is I'm going to sell it for a billion dollars. Though seriously I do have a copy of Shaq Fu signed by the black Power Ranger.

Sonic62
06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
50. Sonic the Hedgehog
49. Angry Birds

Die in a fire G4.

the1stpkmnfan
06-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Really? I'd say that it's overrated. Every time I hear about it, it's nothing but people gushing over how awesome it is. I love the graphics and the music in it, that much is awesome, and the whole concept is great, but to my the level design and the physics are unforgivable. There are so many unnecessary deaths just because the level design is horrible or the physics don't work as they should. And then you get a game over and you get to start all over again. Case in point, Yoshi. Yoshi has the absolute worst physics of anything in any game I've ever seen. I ragequit while trying to put a handle on Yoshi's physics and I swore never to play it again, and that's exactly what I'll do. How people can stand Sunshine with the big gaping problems it has I'll never understand. The one thing I'd say we can all agree on about is that the final boss is just weird. Never again, Nintendo. Please, never make a final boss like that again.

I never really thought of that actually, and here I am talking about how much love Sunshine doesn't get enough of, and it made it sound overrated. Nonetheless, I still consider it a great game, despite it's occasional wacky control commands.

diddyknux
06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
50. Sonic the Hedgehog
49. Angry Birds

Die in a fire G4.

And suddenly I don't find myself so tolerant of this list...