PDA

View Full Version : The Last of Us

torimori
08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
The Last of Us is a game developed by Naughty Dog, the same people who worked on the popular Uncharted series. The Last of Us is a third-person shooter (much like Uncharted) but unlike Uncharted, takes place post-apocalyptic, where many people seem to have gone crazy (much like the Fallout games with Raiders and the like). The Last of Us stars Ellie and Joel. Joel is a man who grew up in the world we live in, and is ruthless against his enemies, while Ellie knows nothing but the post-apocalyptic life, having been born sometime after the pandemic that struck the world (?).

I'm very excited for this game. The Uncharted series really gave me a lot of fun, and I'm sure Naughty Dog will surpass my expectations. Who else is excited for this game?

lionheart91
08-08-2012, 09:19 PM
As Naughty Dog's unofficial biggest fan here on TSG, of course I am excited for The Last Of Us. ND is in my opinion the best developer out there right now, and I have no doubt that Last of Us will blow me away. Like you said it looks similar to Uncharted, which is always a plus in my book, only a lot darker and grittier. Elle and Joel both seem really interesting and likable, and the gameplay looks fantastic. It's hard to decide whether this or Tomb Raider is my most anticipated game of 2013, but either way i'll be getting it day 1.

diddyknux
08-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Excited for this game.

Also... am I the only one who thinks Joel looks like Fred Ward?

http://movieactors.com/photos-stars/fred-ward-tremors-3.jpg
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-hunters/2012/05/16/last-of-usx-large.jpg

If I was, hopefully now I'm not.

GrimsChild
08-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Can't be worse than Uncharted 3 :roll:

Trust, Me I Got This
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
This is my most anticipated game at the moment and by the looks of it so far, it will not disappoint.

torimori
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
This is my most anticipated game at the moment and by the looks of it so far, it will not disappoint.

It looks great. I always love post-apocalyptic scenarios, and this one look to meet my standards.

Panda
08-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Unlike the Uncharted series, I'm fairly excited this title. However, I will retain a somewhat skeptical feeling about it until I see footage of non-developer people playing the game. The way the events unfolded in the E3 trailer just came off as unnaturally clean.

Don't get me wrong; I'm hoping this is what the actual game turns out to be. If ND can pull off this level of artificial intelligence and animation/action variety, then I'll be really impressed. Just gotta wait for future previews, I guess.

AnythingButAwesome
08-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I guess we aren't getting Uncharted Racing. Aww man.

Muzy72
08-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I guess we aren't getting Uncharted Racing. Aww man.
Unkarted would have been amazing! :P

GrimsChild
08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Wave Race style Uncharted game would be the worst game ever made.

Panda
08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Man, Wave Race. Easily one of the best intro themes. Also, I now can't help but picture Nathan Drake's face underneath the helmet of one of the characters. My guess is Ayumi Stewart.

GrimsChild
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I didn't want to play Wave Race until I saw this

[ytube:3a1lafft]G-QfJ1jsmag[/ytube:3a1lafft]

Discovered almost a decade after it's original release.

Panda
08-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I remember when that was discovered. It amazes me how people discover these kinds of things.

Also reminds me of how much I want to get an alarm clock that shouts berating dialogue at me (serious).

Trust, Me I Got This
08-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Unlike the Uncharted series, I'm fairly excited this title. However, I will retain a somewhat skeptical feeling about it until I see footage of non-developer people playing the game. The way the events unfolded in the E3 trailer just came off as unnaturally clean.

Don't get me wrong; I'm hoping this is what the actual game turns out to be. If ND can pull off this level of artificial intelligence and animation/action variety, then I'll be really impressed. Just gotta wait for future previews, I guess.
Even if Naughty Dog can't pull of that much variation, this game would still be awesome.

torimori
08-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Even if Naughty Dog can't pull of that much variation, this game would still be awesome.

I agree. I mean, just look at the melee kills. They're epic as all...heck!

topbunkdd89
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Very excited for this game! Seeing it produced by naught dog as well makes me even more exited.

torimori
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Well, the year for The Last of Us is here! Now just to wait a while longer!

Honestly, I'm more excited for this game then I initially thought I would be.

Trust, Me I Got This
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm expecting this game to completely blow my mind when I finally get my hands on it.

torimori
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm expecting this game to completely blow my mind when I finally get my hands on it.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I've been thinking more, and it reminds me a lot of The Road by Cormac McArthy or The Book of Eli, the way everyone seems to be insane (though Book of Eli, there were still sane people).

I definitely am liking the two main characters, for some reason. They just seem really cool and prepared for a catastrophe like this.

Alveia
01-18-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm really excited for this game as well, I have a itch for a really good game of this style that is dying to be scratched, I hope Last of Us delivers.

DNAbro
06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Well who else picked this up? Game has been pretty good so far, so much tension when playing.

caramelslice
06-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm really liking it. It's all cool when I'm trying to sneak/fight off hunters. But when you come across infected...especially clickers...well that's when things get creepy. I save all of my molotov cocktails just for clickers.

DNAbro
06-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Well this game has taken the spot for my GOTY. Absolutely fantastic, if you have a PS3 please go buy this game. I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

caramelslice
06-22-2013, 07:26 PM
How did you guys feel about the ending?

lionheart91
06-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I want to start playing this, but i'm afraid to turn my PS3 on because I don't want to have my console brick from that new update. Has that been fixed yet?

DNAbro
06-22-2013, 08:49 PM
umm yeah. as far as i know it should be fine.

lionheart91
06-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Okay so I started playing a few minutes ago, and wow. Dat opening....

[spoiler:38wwskzg]I have to say, the opening with Sarah walking around the house alone was intense. I kept waiting for something to pop out, but hoping nothing would. And then when she dies....I have never felt so emotional over a video game.[/spoiler:38wwskzg]

caramelslice
06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Okay so I started playing a few minutes ago, and wow. Dat opening....

[spoiler:2w9iq9yk]I have to say, the opening with Sarah walking around the house alone was intense. I kept waiting for something to pop out, but hoping nothing would. And then when she dies....I have never felt so emotional over a video game.[/spoiler:2w9iq9yk]
Yeah I went through the intro immediately after finishing Bioshock Infinite.
[spoiler:2w9iq9yk]So many father-daughter feels ;_;[/spoiler:2w9iq9yk]

zion777
06-27-2013, 05:31 AM
What has surprised me the most about this game is how much fun I have in the multiplayer part. I didn't expect it to be really worth playing, but I have played it tons and the story mode very little. There is some part of it that I just cant get enough of.

lionheart91
06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Just beat it, and good lord, what an amazing game.

CurrentLeaf
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Just finished the game, this is how you make a story driven game. I don't even like survival horror or shooters and I really enjoyed it. I also feel like the ending was very nice and ambiguous, just how I like it.

lionheart91
06-28-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't even like survival horror or shooters and I really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Last of Us as either of those genres though. I believe it is classified by gaming websites as Action-Adventure, which I guess it technically is, but in my opinion it is mainly a Survival (not Survival Horror) game.

caramelslice
06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Haven't tried multiplayer yet. Going through my third play-through trying that Survival+ glitch. My gosh the lack of resources makes me so sad. I just want the comfort of having molotovs xD Just made it to the University.

Snowy620
06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
After finishing it... I thought it was okay. It certainly wasn't bad, but I really dislike that the ending set up a second one perfectly.

DNAbro
06-30-2013, 12:05 AM
After finishing it... I thought it was okay. It certainly wasn't bad, but I really dislike that the ending set up a second one perfectly.

Except it didn't. If they make a sequel on based on the ending it completely ruins the impact the ending had. I could do with a prequel based around Joel. or maybe other survivors.

Snowy620
06-30-2013, 12:17 AM

Except it didn't. If they make a sequel on based on the ending it completely ruins the impact the ending had. I could do with a prequel based around Joel. or maybe other survivors.
[spoiler:3blitxfv]I think with Ellie and Joel going into the camp of others who couldn't be infected along with Joel lying to Ellie like that really set it up for a sequel. I could be completely wrong in saying that, but that's how I took it.[/spoiler:3blitxfv]

CurrentLeaf
06-30-2013, 02:22 AM
@Snowy60 The developers have explicitly stated in interviews that they have zero intentions of making a sequel. They said that they told the story they wanted to tell and that if they ever revisited the universe, these characters would not play an integral role.

@lionheart91 I like how this game doesn't really fit into any genre perfectly. It's kind of a sampling of the best parts of different genres and it comes together quite well.

lionheart91
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Everyone is basically saying that there HAS to be a sequel after that ending, but I really don't understand why. Nothing in that ending warrants a sequel. The story of Joel and Ellie is done. There isn't really any plot hooks to go on for a sequel with those two.

[spoiler:3aucr2gy]I mean yeah it wasn't a happy ending and Joel lied to Ellie, but how can you build a sequel around that?[/spoiler:3aucr2gy]

caramelslice
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I'd kind of like to see a DLC story or something revolving around Ish.

lionheart91
06-30-2013, 06:31 PM
The problem with DLC about certain characters is that you already know how their story ends, so there's no surprise. I'd still like to see a DLC for Henry and Sam though.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

caramelslice
06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
The problem with DLC about certain characters is that you already know how their story ends, so there's no surprise. I'd still like to see a DLC for Henry and Sam though.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
With Ish though, it's a rather open-ended story don't you think? Or does everyone believe he ended up dying after leaving the sewers?

lionheart91
06-30-2013, 09:45 PM

[ Post made via iPhone ]
With Ish though, it's a rather open-ended story don't you think? Or does everyone believe he ended up dying after leaving the sewers?

Do they say that he did in fact get out of the sewers? I can't remember. I'm actually at that part in my current playthrough though, so I could be wrong. But there were Clickers and other infected in there, so I figured that if anything they would have gotten him. Maybe he was even one of them.

diddyknux
06-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Definetly planning on getting this as soon as I can afford it. Almost every time I've heard someone mention this game, its been touted as a must-have for a PS3 owner. I'm trying not to be too hyped for it, but I am excited.

caramelslice
07-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Do they say that he did in fact get out of the sewers? I can't remember. I'm actually at that part in my current playthrough though, so I could be wrong. But there were Clickers and other infected in there, so I figured that if anything they would have gotten him. Maybe he was even one of them.
I believe the last note you get regarding Ish says that he managed to escape the sewers with Susan and some other kids. After that their fates are left unknown.

lionheart91
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I believe the last note you get regarding Ish says that he managed to escape the sewers with Susan and some other kids. After that their fates are left unknown.

Ah yes, it seems you're right about that. Hell, they could give a DLC story to each of the supporting characters in the game. They all have interesting enough backstories that could use exploring. I'd imagine Bill's might be somewhat controversial though.

caramelslice
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
As far as backstories go, I'd like to see more from Tess. I feel like she had been around the smuggling business and she just happened to pick up Joel as her inseparable partner. Like how did those two become a duo?

RaqibMarvelous
07-02-2013, 01:59 AM
I honestly don't think the game is that great. I feel like the development team quickly slapped it together without any form of polish

DNAbro
07-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Explain.

lionheart91
07-02-2013, 07:14 AM
I would love to know what games you do consider "polished".

[ Post made via iPhone ]

FlibberMagee
07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah, considering the game was in development for at least 2-3 years, being announced in 2011, and then delayed from its initial release date, I wouldn't say it was quickly slapped together.

[ Post made via iPod ]

zion777
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I honestly don't think the game is that great. I feel like the development team quickly slapped it together without any form of polish

I'll state that at times the game annoys me with bottles I can't pick up, or doors I can't open, or various things that games often do that shatter the realism in the moment, but to call the game unpolished is pretty bold. I agree with the others and hope you will explain. Naughty Dog in my book does polish and does it well.

Snowy620
07-06-2013, 09:31 AM
@Snowy60 The developers have explicitly stated in interviews that they have zero intentions of making a sequel. They said that they told the story they wanted to tell and that if they ever revisited the universe, these characters would not play an integral role.
Thank gourd. I love one-shot games like this.

DNAbro
07-06-2013, 03:04 PM
I really hope the DLC that comes out for this will be worth it. I bought the season pass just because I trust Naughty Dog that much and wanted to give them more of my money.

torimori
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM

I don't understand, it is an amazing game, in fact, more of an emotional roller coaster. I understand if you didn't like it, but I definitely disagree with you about it being the dev team's fault.

DNAbro
07-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I finally got to play the online with a friend and man is it fantastic. This is one of the most fun multiplayer games to play with people you know because you actually have to work together. Was just plain fun that I don't even get with Call of Duty.

torimori
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I finally got to play the online with a friend and man is it fantastic. This is one of the most fun multiplayer games to play with people you know because you actually have to work together. Was just plain fun that I don't even get with Call of Duty.

Yeah, the multiplayer looks extremely good if you've got a team that understands the meaning of team work. I'm excited to start the multiplayer!

torimori
07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
So I just beat it today (had about 40 minutes worth of gameplay left and neglected to set my PS3 back up after vacation...whoops).

And wow, did that ending stun me.

I was expecting the cliche. [spoiler:17ror7zd]Main character dies, best friend/child character goes on living in their memory (not entirely unlike The Walking Dead).[/spoiler:17ror7zd] Although I wouldn't have been upset with that, I wouldn't have been surprised.

[spoiler:17ror7zd]Let's just say, Joel executing Marlene and lying to Ellie's face was a surprise. A pleasant surprise? Not particularly, I felt chills run down my spine and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. It was chilling and suspenseful.[/spoiler:17ror7zd]

The credits music really added to the mood, I felt. It gave it a chilling effect that really made you think; [spoiler:17ror7zd]What would you do to ensure that the person you loved wouldn't hate you for the things you did to keep them alive?[/spoiler:17ror7zd]

Another big aspect was the fact that the ending wasn't an ending you could watch and say, "WOW! That was cool!" It was an ending you needed to understand the context of. If you hadn't played the whole game, or only saw tidbits of it, you wouldn't get that punch I got. It's a game that must be experienced from start to finish.

Overall, a solid game, my favorite PS3 title and, currently, my pick for GOTY. Call me crazy, say you don't agree, call the developers lame, I don't care. Naughty Dog has done good by me with this game, and I couldn't have asked for a better story to be told to me!

Now, could the other game developers of the world start adapting and make games like this or am I gonna have to break some heads?

caramelslice
08-27-2013, 12:20 PM
So that Survivor + glitch worked. I'm not one for collecting trophies, but all I have left are the multi-player ones. I hear stealthing really isn't a key strategy in multi-player though. Can anyone attest to that?

lionheart91
08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
So that Survivor + glitch worked. I'm not one for collecting trophies, but all I have left are the multi-player ones. I hear stealthing really isn't a key strategy in multi-player though. Can anyone attest to that?

What glitch would that be?

caramelslice
08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Well, apparently you can't access Survivor mode unless you clear the game on Hard. My first play-through was on Normal. Once you're able to go through the chapter selections, you'll find that you can access the other difficulties through there. I did a second play-through on Normal just to get the other trophies. My third play-through I went through the game on Survivor via chapter selection. Simply select the Prologue chapter on Survivor and just play through the game from there. Once you beat it, you'll be awarded the trophies for clearing it on Survivor +, Survivor and any of the lower difficulties.

lionheart91
08-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Nice. I'm going to have to try that because I plan on playing the game again real soon.

DNAbro
08-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Not really stealthing but moving slow and trying not to get noticed is important. You can't rush, also bow is OP.

Froznpanther
08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
How are people getting 100+parts online? I see clan sizes of 512. How is that real? I am at a clan size of 80 and cant seem to get enough parts 90% of the time.

lionheart91
01-31-2014, 10:49 PM
So I just read this article about how games like The Last of Us are ruining the gaming industry by having endings that are made specifically to set up for sequels. The article was pure bs and clearly written by someone who didn't pay much attention to the game at all, but what still really confuses me to this day is why almost everyone who has played TLOU thinks that the ending was setting up for a sequel. Seriously, everyone (and that is not an exaggeration) that i've talked to about the game thinks that there absolutely needs to be a sequel after this "massive cliffhanger". Can someone please explain to me why this is? I've beat the game twice, and I just don't get it. Am I missing something? Literally nothing about that ending gave me the impression that there would be a sequel.

For anyone interested, here's the article:
http://www.superpowergaming.com/ps4/gam ... -industry/ (http://www.superpowergaming.com/ps4/games-like-the-last-of-us-are-slowly-ruining-the-industry/)

caramelslice
01-31-2014, 10:57 PM
They could do a sequel, but they don't have to. It's fine to leave it as is, but I also wouldn't mind if they were to make a sequel. There wasn't anything cliffhanger-y about it from what I saw. I think people just want a sequel because of the fact that
[spoiler:2bl55jih]Joel flat-out lied to Ellie about what went down with the Fireflies, so maybe people just want more closure.[/spoiler:2bl55jih]

lionheart91
02-01-2014, 01:43 AM
[spoiler:3jyhafzp]But I mean where can you go from there? Sure Ellie could eventually find out the truth, but then what? The world is still screwed even if a vaccine is created. It's not like anything would have changed had Joel not saved Ellie.[/spoiler:3jyhafzp]

I mean yeah I would like a sequel, but the story for these characters is finished.

caramelslice
02-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Prequel DLC will be coming out this Valentine's Day though. We'll have that to look forward to.

lionheart91
02-01-2014, 02:41 AM
That is true. I'm pretty excited for the DLC. I've been looking for a reason to go back and play the game again, since I pretty much gave up on wanting to get the platinum trophy.

caramelslice
02-01-2014, 03:31 AM
That is true. I'm pretty excited for the DLC. I've been looking for a reason to go back and play the game again, since I pretty much gave up on wanting to get the platinum trophy.
Is it just the multiplayer that you have to do? I still need to complete the hunter journey before I do the firefly one. That's pretty much it for me.

lionheart91
02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Is it just the multiplayer that you have to do? I still need to complete the hunter journey before I do the firefly one. That's pretty much it for me.

Nah, I still need to get most of the single player trophies too. I'm not too worried about those though, since i'll be able to get them in another playthrough or two. The multiplayer trophies just seem annoying and unnecessarily time consuming.

caramelslice
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Nah, I still need to get most of the single player trophies too. I'm not too worried about those though, since i'll be able to get them in another playthrough or two. The multiplayer trophies just seem annoying and unnecessarily time consuming.
Funny thing, that's exactly what my friends said about Tomb Raider's multiplayer trophies xD

lionheart91
02-01-2014, 09:42 PM
xD I agree with your friends. But after spending all that time getting the Tomb Raider multiplayer trophies, I don't think I have it in me to do something like that again haha (keep in mind I say this now even though iknowing myself 'll probably try to get the platinum trophy again when I get the game for PS4 -___-)

Speaking of, do you still need help with the Tomb Raider multiplayer trophies?

caramelslice
02-01-2014, 11:02 PM
xD I agree with your friends. But after spending all that time getting the Tomb Raider multiplayer trophies, I don't think I have it in me to do something like that again haha (keep in mind I say this now even though iknowing myself 'll probably try to get the platinum trophy again when I get the game for PS4 -___-)

Speaking of, do you still need help with the Tomb Raider multiplayer trophies?
I'll probably get to it when I can. I still haven't tried out Tomb Raider's multiplayer, but I would like to even though my friends warned me not to xD Been working on some stuff for my reel again, so I haven't really been playing anything much lately.

Also, from what I've been playing in the Last of Us' multiplayer, I'm very bad at online multiplayers. I choose one mission to do in order to keep my clan's population stable, and I end up doing other things - example, I was going for the revives missions, and I end up getting more kills than expected (which surprised me because I'm always expecting to get at most one kill) and hardly any revives. In addition to that, I started off just playing a lot of Survivors which my friend advised against when he found out I had been doing that - go for Supply Raid instead. Makes sense since the matches are longer, so it gives you time to collect parts and get your mission objectives in - which probably answers Froznpanther's question (sorry if the response was late though).

lionheart91
02-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Is the multiplayer even any good? I'm always a bit skeptical when a game so focused on single player has multiplayer because usually it's just tacked on.

caramelslice
02-02-2014, 09:12 PM
I enjoy them. Mind you, this is one of the first few multiplayers I've played online, so I don't have much to compare to. But from what I've heard from friends and from what I've seen online, people usually seem to like it.