PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Marathon to Support Anatotitan (Moved to SDA)

NYVideoGameFreak
09-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Hello everyone! I am here to present to the community with a Marathon for anyone who is interested. This marathon will be in the benefit of Anatotitan (Jazzaboo) and her recent illnesses that led to a large sum of medical bills that have left her in major debt to many hospitals and doctors. On the GiveForward site Ana has a reward for anyone who donates 50 dollars or more at one time and that is a picture drawn specifically for you and during the marathon I will be giving away some small prizes to those who donate to the cause.

When: The marathon will start on October 26th at 6PM Eastern until October 29th at 6PM Eastern.

What: The marathon will be a 72 Hour scary game marathon in the celebration of Halloween the following week

Why: I wanted to do anything I could for Ana the moment I heard about the troubles she was having because of how much she has helped not only TSG but SDA and other charity organizations. Ana has also been a staple at marathons with her Art pieces for auction and for donors

Where: The whole marathon will be on live.thespeedgamers.com site for the most amount of publicity.

What I need at this point is for people to start signing up for gaming and commentary slots so that we can have constant content for the marathon.

Commentary slots are all in Eastern Time and will be in 3 hours segments and if a person would like they can have two shifts in a row, just post what time(s) you would like to commentate and I will put you on the schedule for the time you requested.

Gaming slots timings will be based on how long an individual believes they will need on a game. To sign up for a gaming slot please include the game you would like to run, what time in Eastern would be best for you to play as well as at least one backup time, approximately how long the game will take you to beat.

The term scary game can be very broad but as long as the game has some dark undertones to it that will be fine. I won't have too many restrictions on what games can be played and if anyone is curious if the game they want to run fits you can PM me and I will evaluate the game.

Quick Excerpt from Anas post on GiveFoward

I have three different hospitals demanding money. Not to mention the ER doctors, the ambulance drivers, and the gastroenterologist. I already paid the surgeon and the lab techs, but that hardly scratches the surface here. I have no insurance, and I don't know what else to do.

Link to Ana's Give Forward Campaign: http://www.giveforward.com/charityartis ... icalbills# (http://www.giveforward.com/charityartistswampedwithmedicalbills#)

[spoiler=Commentator List:xo7uorqi]gendarmeofficer
MSico/Bear
Cosmoid
mayday22
untuxable
Ruju
Dellyflo613
Stonepaw
colwin1
Blaumagier[/spoiler:xo7uorqi]

[spoiler=Commentary Schedule (Eastern Time):xo7uorqi]Friday October 26th
6PM - 9PM -
9PM - 12AM - untuxable

Saturday October 27th
12AM - 3AM -
3AM - 6AM -
6AM - 9AM -
9AM - 12PM -
12PM - 3PM -
3PM - 6PM - colwin1
6PM - 9PM - gendarmeofficer
9PM - 12AM -

Sunday October 28th
12AM - 3AM -
3AM - 6AM -
6AM - 9AM -
9AM - 12PM -
12PM - 3PM -
3PM - 6PM -
6PM - 9PM -
9PM - 12AM - Blaumagier

Monday October 29th
12AM - 3AM - Stonepaw
3AM - 6AM - Dellyflo613
6AM - 9AM -
9AM - 12PM -
12PM - 3PM -
3PM - 6PM -[/spoiler:xo7uorqi]

[spoiler=Game and Player List:xo7uorqi]FrenchToast1 : Amnesia or Lone Survivor
AnythingButAwesome: Black Mesa
scooterdude95: Binding of Isaac
Emptyeye2112: Super Castlevania IV
Blaumagier: Home, Siren Blood Curse, Ghosts & Goblins Golden Knights 1 & 2
puwexil: Parasite Eve
romscout: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
RaneofSoTN: Sweet Home
AlanEdgeHead: Splatterhouse 1 & 2
the1stpkmnfan: No More Heroes 2
NYVideoGameFreak: TBD[/spoiler:xo7uorqi]

[spoiler=Gaming Schedule:xo7uorqi]TBA[/spoiler:xo7uorqi]

FrenchToast1
09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm totally up for playing and commentating! I'll have to work out when I'm open from work and such and what games to play, but I definitely want to lend a hand. I've got Amnesia and Lone Survivor on Steam, so those are easy choices. I may even get Homecoming so Jaz can revel in me experiencing the badness! :D

I'll post something more substantial once I get it figured out, just wanted to lend my support.

AnythingButAwesome
09-14-2012, 02:50 AM
OooooOOOOOoooo spooky! I'd be willing to participate. If Black Mesa is any good I could play that maybe. I'd need to give it a couple runs to see how it is though, it comes out in a few hours. I know Black Mesa is more of a scary game than a horror game but that's just the first one that came off the top of my head and it's relevant.

Kairamek
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Now I kind of wish I knew how to stream. Course I don't play scary games so....

[ Post made via Android ]

gendarmeofficer
09-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe I should offer to commentate, just to have a chance to improve my own speaking skills. But I doubt I'll be getting anything scary to stream though.

MSico
09-14-2012, 07:06 PM
BEAR AND I ARE DOWN

HOW WE JOIN ???

NYVideoGameFreak
09-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Post Edited to explain how to sign up for commentary shifts, sorry!

EDIT: The gaming list will also be updated frequently with who has what game, PLEASE do not forgot to add what time is best for you to play at and how long it will roughly take.

gendarmeofficer
09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd like to sign up for commentary on Saturday from 6-9PM, if that's OK.

jdtwins2009
09-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I would help out with what I could, but I'm going to be gone the whole marathon for a wedding.

I'll try and help support though!

MSico
09-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Bear and I could play and commentate simultaneously, as in, one person plays and the other talks what with a micromophone. Probably Sunday during the late morning or afternoooooon!

Cosmoid
09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm a hundo down. I would love to help in a commentary position for this biz. I should be free around this time so hit me up with some shifts you need filled.

I would be down for any day. Probably times before 1 so I don't screw my sleepin times and then my grades tank and then I can't get a job and then I die from starvation. I NEED EM! Gotta get that english degree so I can not get a job and die from starvation with a degree.

the1stpkmnfan
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I just read about this on Ana's page. It's really sad to hear about this, and I'm totally going to be around for this. She made awesome art for me, too, after all.

Mplay213
09-15-2012, 03:59 AM
I would normally sign up to play a game or something but I don't think I can with college and stuff, sorry.
I'll watch and donate for sure though!

Daskichan
09-15-2012, 07:46 AM
I'd like to support this, but at the moment I don't know my work schedule so I'll have to get back to you on that.

mayday22
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Once I have my work schedule I'd love to commentate :D

untuxable
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd totally be down for commentating as well, but I'm not sure when as of now. Like most of the other people, I'll have to get back to you.

JasefWisener
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't think I'll be able to commentate or anything this time around, but I'll definitely watch and support!

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Ruju
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
YEAH! I think I'd be down for a commentating shift. They still are getting my work schedule all weird cause of school, but I should know soon on a good time for me.

:thumbs:

Dellyflo613
09-17-2012, 02:53 AM
I should be able to commentate during the 3AM to 6AM shift on Monday, October 29th.

scooterdude95
09-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll be able to play The binding of Isaac, Unless something comes up before then.

Stonepaw
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
This is a great idea!

I'd like to sign up for commentating. Tentatively the 12am - 3am Monday slot depending on my schedule.

Emptyeye2112
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Hmm.

This marathon needs more old-school gaming representation. :D

I'd like to sign up to play Super Castlevania IV. I'm okay to play pretty much anytime Saturday or Sunday, and it should take me about an hour to get through.

Blaumagier
09-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I'd like to help out by playing a few games. I know its a lot of games though, so if someone else wants them, I don't mind giving some up.

Home (Steam)
Sweet Home (Famicom, I feel obligated to say this would be emulated since it is Japanese only with a fan translation)
Ghosts & Goblins Golden Knights 1 & 2 (iOS)
Siren Blood Curse (PS3)

Except for Home and Ghosts & Goblins, it would be blind runs and I would commentate over Home, Sweet Home, and Siren.

Kairamek
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Trying to get a gage on interest here. Some of my dnd group and others could bust out some old skool terror THE TOMB OF HORRORS!! But only if there is interest. I don't want to kill the stream if there's no audience for it.

puwexil
09-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I can speedrun Parasite Eve in roughly 3 1/2 hours, and take donations for naming Aya (beginning of the game) and her final weapon/armor (before the final boss).

PE doesn't let you skip cutscenes or battles, so I can promise much in the way of creepiness/freakiness!

I'm available all weekend except for overnight hours (2AM-10AM EST), so 10PM EST is the latest I'd be able to start. Looking forward to doing my part to help out Lindsey, especially after all the amazing work she's done for so many different charity marathons!

romscout
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey there! Ana's done a lot of awesome work for our charity marathons over at SDA, and I know how rough it can be with medical bills since I was an uninsured diabetic for many years. So even though I'm not really an active member of TSG other than watching some marathons and donating a couple times, I'd love to help out a bit and take part in this.

I'd like to volunteer a few Castlevania games that I speed run.

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night; 30 minutes safe estimate for any%, 45 minutes safe estimate for all bosses. I don't care which category I run, so you can choose whatever's more convenient for scheduling. I can do the usual "choose the cape color" donation incentive I have for SDA marathons and showing off the opening/ending cutscenes if you like.

- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Julius mode; 1 hour safe estimate. Sometimes I still randomly die to late-game bosses (I'm looking at YOU, Death!) so I gotta have some cushion for the estimate. Also, I have a direct capture for DS, so there shouldn't be any worries about how the stream looks for this game.

- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow; 40 minutes safe estimate. This is pretty much going to be a glitchy showcase like SotN.

I can do afternoon or evening (before midnight Eastern) on any of the days, but prefer to play on Saturday or Sunday. My internet has been pretty unstable late at night for some reason, so that's out. @_@ I hope this thing raises a bunch, she deserves it!

RaneofSoTN
09-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey, sorry this is going seem a bit off and probably make blau a bit mad..

But I wouldn't mind stepping up and doing an actual run of Sweet Home. I can do it either on the console (i have a famicom and a cart) or doing it emulated. It won't be a blind playthrough, but I can do it about any style that is needed. If you need to know why I'm volunteering, Lindsay is awesome and well I have the WR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxzV-tQHFaM) for it.
The only thing is the standard WR strats involve only using 3 of the 5 members (2 get left at the start) but you still see their names in all combats due to how the interface works, They still survive. I could be talked into doing a # of survivors run instead of the standard full 5... but i doubt people would really want this. If you want a time estimate, 1:30 can account for anything and everything with the game (for speed). If you want any challenges or anything i'd have to plan them out a bit.

I can also do CV:Lords of Shadow or The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3..?), but I'd need to know ASAP about either to get back into shape for them. Unfortunately for CV:Lords of Shadow i do NOT have HD capabilities so it'd be an SD stream...

Best of luck and lets do our best!

edit: I forgot to post times, at the moment i'm job searching so until i find something i'm completely open, though i tend to be a bit more of a night owl.

AnythingButAwesome
09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Jeez, actual speedruners. I'm gonna look horrible. About Black Mesa, I still don't know exactly how long it's gonna take me. Also if you guys can actually fill the stream with games that are more horror based I don't mind commentating instead. It's not 100% ill be able to do this just to let people know.

Blaumagier
09-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I would love to see your Sweet Home run, actually, Rane. I only volunteered for it since its an obscure title and I didn't think anyone else would volunteer for it. I will definitely step down for that. Also it seems you and I have a lot of the same taste in games, except you are way better than I am XD

The only games I was dead set on doing are the Ghosts 'N' Goblins Gold Knights games and to a lesser extent, Home. I think Home would be most entertaining if done blind and commentated over by the player. I've already played it once, but I can play it very differently and make it a new experience, though I already know most of the tricks designed to make you jump.

NYVideoGameFreak
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
As of right now I just want to say how amazing you guys are for showing this much interest, It means a lot to me to know you guys are really into this marathon.

Edit: Also updated the original post with all the new commentators and runners for the marathon. I am so excited for this marathon.

Slowflake
09-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Wow, this is bad news I didn't need to hear. I'd love to do something, anything to try to help, but unfortunately there's this small issue of me not having the skills or resources to do anything. Raising awareness? Going to be a challenge, considering this cause is a much harder sell than donating to charity (not saying it's a worthless cause, just harder to convince people to help). I guess I'll just sit back, watch, and cheer from the shadows.

AnythingButAwesome
09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
If someone owns a SNES, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and a way to stream it you totally need to! And get a friend to play with you! And make sure your mics on so we can hear you arguing over items and how to navigate the levels and defeat enemies and in general getting mad at each other!

Celebeast
09-21-2012, 05:31 AM
I was sad to hear about Ana's situation, but amazed (as usual) by the response from the community. I can do little in the way of helping with the marathon, but you can bet your bingo-wings I'll watch, promote and donate. We <3 u Jaz/Ana/Portaxx

Stonepaw
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
On review the Sunday October 28th 9pm-12 slot would probably work better for me. Is it possible to switch?

gendarmeofficer
09-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Actually, may I change to commentate on Friday instead? I'm still willing to do the same time, it's just I'm not entirely sure I can be available on that particular Saturday. Or if anyone else wants to take that shift, I'd be willing to either co-commentate or just take the 9PM-12AM shift for that day. Sorry if this ends up messing up someone else's plans.

AlanEdgeHead
09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I could throw down some Splatterhouse 1 & 2.

zach2m1
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh my gosh! I will certainly be there! I must make a personal reminder to self so I don't forget to miss this and most likely donate! :0
*prepares to save money and makes reminder*

also if ya guys need/want I could play some slender and get the pants scared off of me and probably buy a webcam. It could be the funny sight considering how bad I am at the game and how scared I get >__>
And I also could play all of the Super Mario 64 Stars from the Haunted Mansion if ya guys need anyone needs to kill time! I could get a save file prepared where I have everything need for the Haunted Mansion so I could play through all of the levels for the first time :o I just need some heads up if you guys want either of those options, I understand and its perfectly fine by me! I'm also down to op the chat if ya guys need it to, just give me a PM NY :)

_hat_
:D

Blaumagier
09-23-2012, 02:39 AM
For the sake of scheduling, the two Ghosts 'N' Goblins Gold Knights games take less than a half hour each. I'd prefer to play them back to back. Home is also roughly an hour when played right.

the1stpkmnfan
09-23-2012, 10:39 AM
@Zach- Can you scream and cry like a little girl, too? :P I would do the same because I turned the game off after playing for just 15 seconds. /wimp.

I don't know for sure if I can play a game, since my internet here at my dorm can go on and off every now and then. Plus I don't have that many scary games. Majora's Mask and Luigi's Mansion would be typical of me to play, and I'm sure others are going to play those two games already. But when the time gets closer, I'll see what I can do.

zach2m1
09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
@Pkmnfan there will actually be a video of me playing Slender with my friends up on youtube sometime this week. It has the face cam in the corner and everything. I freaked out just a little bit >___>

and by a bit I mean a lot...

Anatotitan
09-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Aw you guys. All of you. Seriously ;_;

I would give some sappy speech about how great you all are, but I'll save that for after the show. In the meantime, I'll say "THANKS" and I'll never forget all this. Also almost every single game suggested is a game I love, and the few I haven't played I've actually been interested in for a while.

Just yesterday I paid off two of the radiologists! PROGRESS! :thumbs: I also might qualify for some financial aid, pending my application getting reviewed. So another big thanks to people who suggested ways to help lower the bill. PROGRESS AGAIN! :thumbs: :thumbs:

So I figured that I should probably explain a few things. I'm not running this shindig so please just take these as guidelines/suggestions! There will be people from different gaming backgrounds here, and I'm kind of the link to all of them so I felt I should go over some things, especially since some people with no marathon experience had expressed some interest to me.

First off, we have TSG staff, TSG forum members, SDA gods, and the world's greatest LP'er* So everyone's coming from a different place. I think this unique mix will make for a fun show! I think if we blend the different aspects that make our individual shows special, it could be pretty interesting to watch. AH, UNITY.

How Your Typical TSG Marathon Works: TSG marathons have more of a focus on the players than the game. This typically manifests in the commentators speaking more than the players, and with the discussions veering into non-gaming topics. It's more like a traditional telethon than SDA's marathons in this way.

More Points:

- There's a playing and commentating schedule. Commentating schedules are usually in 3-hour shifts, but gaming shifts depend on what kind of marathon it is and how long the game is. I'm assuming for this one, it'll be a "play until you're done" deal. And to that end, anyone who wants to play should have a very good idea of what their time is. Usually give yourself some leeway when telling the scheduler how much time it'll take. :waiting:

- Usually the player is separate from the commentator. The commentator usually talks to the viewers about any fool thing that pops into their head, and the player... uh, plays. The commentator is also in charge of reading donation comments, setting goals for stunts/pranks, talking about the charity, and making me a sandwich.

- While there's a schedule, things are more freeform than SDA's. Usually the commentator doesn't say much about the game and the times for the games are lax. Finishing the game is important, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

- Typically, TSG's stunts/pranks involve the commentator or the player doing something nutty. Rolling around on the floor, getting shot with silly string, eating that horrendous plum candy, etc. Not sure how well this will work for this, but only because I don't know who all (if any) will be using a webcam. Something to keep in mind. If someone wants to get an I.O.U. on a prank and record themselves later, maybe that could work. It could even be turned into a montage for TSG's channel, maybe. But if you want to do that, you should probably discuss it now. Usually TSG's staff talks about pranks before the show even starts. Spontaneous pranks are common, but since this is a community thing, we probably want to avoid some kind of escalation where a rogue fan tries to one-up everyone by stealing Baltes' pepper spray. :omg:

How Your Typical SDA Marathon Works: SDA marathons are like a giant Let's Play extravaganza. The focus is more on the games. The players do more talking, and most discussions are about the game being played right then. And of course, the biggest focus of all is on speed.

More Points:

- There's a playing schedule, but no formal commentating schedule. The player will be on a couch and then whoever's around and chatty can sit there and talk a bit, especially if they also know a bit about the game being played. The playing schedule is usually "play until you're done," but it is strictly adhered to since you have to know your time. If the schedule gets screwed up, it's due to them beating their games too fast. Yes, that's happened, haha. Huge games like Final Fantasy do get broken up into different shifts though.

- The person playing usually does more talking. SDA's runners employ a ton of fun tricks, sequence breaks, glitches, etc., so the player will often explain exactly how they're breaking the game. This is a lot of fun to hear so maybe we can figure out a way to have both the commentator and the player talk? Though if we do this, we'd need to decide some middle ground between "commentator talks about what they had for breakfast" and "player explains this insane glitch in meticulous detail." Like I said, SDA also doesn't usually have a commentating schedule set in stone, but they do have someone on ChipIn comment duty. We'd probably have to work out if we're going to read comments or not, since the person reading comments usually has to find a break in the conversation to do that.

- As you can imagine, SDA's marathons are based entirely around how fast the game will be beaten. Their runs can include some very difficult tricks, so they are very mindful of letting the player concentrate. TSG runners aren't bad at games (except for Chase) but they usually play the games straight, whereas SDA's runs can require some very precise playing. As such, SDA has a rule for "Serious Time," which is the polite way of saying "Everyone Needs To Shut Up Right Now Because This Next Trick Needs My Full Attention." I'm bringing this up now because if someone says they need silence for the next few minutes, make sure to give it to them so they can work their magic.

- Unlike TSG, most of SDA's stunts are done in the games. As you've seen in the thread, they usually offer in-game craziness in exchange for cold hard cash. Naming characters, alternate routes, 100%ing the game, etc. This is another reason why I feel we should try to patch in the SDA guys' voices when they're playing. If they can't talk, then they can't offer stuff during the show. If it's really not possible, then they NEED to be paired with a commentator who is in constant contact with them somehow, so the commentator can really sell the stunts. I'm pushing for this because trust me, the gaming stunts are fun stuff.

-

These are the main differences between the two marathons. At least, the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I actually think it's really cool how each group has their own style, so again, maybe we can figure out how to combine these things! Maybe at some point soon we all could get onto Skype or something and hammer out the details. When should we do that?

THIS IS GONNA BE SWEET

* Unless of course his competition for that title, ProtonJon and/or NintendoCapriSun, show up. Then all three of them will circle each other and snarl in a bid for dominance. OF ALL THE BEST LP'ERS IN THE WORLD, WHO WILL COME OUT ON TOP AS MOST BESTEST??

untuxable
10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Man, we need to get some more people on board for commentating and playing.

I'll go ahead and sign up for the 9-12 shift Friday night. Frankly, if no one signs up for more in the next 2 weeks, I can definitely do another, maybe 2 more if need be. Both of the extra shifts would have to be Saturday though.

Kairamek
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
I think you can can put us down for Tomb of Horrors (4th ed) on Sunday morning. Phil, Arten, and Toast are looking into their schedules. I have two or three others already down. We might need some volunteers to fill in a few party slots depending on who is actually available.

the1stpkmnfan
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I've already told NYVGF in a PM, but on a late night shift, I'm thinking about playing No More Heroes 2. It may not get scary until I fight Matt Helms, but I'll make the game look scary with my facial expressions.

Blaumagier
10-03-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll take commentary Sunday 9p.m. - midnight. Have some ready to back up, though. There's a very very tiny chance I could end up having to work overtime, but I won't know for sure until that Saturday morning.

inferno12
10-04-2012, 12:04 AM
I wish I could do more to help my most favoritest commentator and half of my favorite commentating duo, but unfortunately I'm incredibly strapped for cash and don't really have any way to help commentating or playing wise.. But you can be dang sure I'll get the word out as much as I can and will be there giving my support.

Slowflake
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I have a question. Will a donation goal be set?

Shikumozikuto
10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I have a question. Will a donation goal be set?

Hopefully, right now I think only three thousand has been donated and the goal is fifty thousand.

Slowflake
10-05-2012, 07:28 PM
So the goal for the marathon is the remainder of the way to 50k, or something like that? Well, we got our work cut out for ourselves then.

Still, FIFTY THOUSANDS IN THE HOLE from medical fees. That is beyond ridiculous. That's more than I make in a year. Wait, that's more than I make in TWO years! If there are any funds left over, do we use them to move Ana to Canada so she's done with that garbage forever?

Shikumozikuto
10-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I think Ana raised the goal because she got more medical bills we only have until November 28th maybe if enough people donate on the marathon Ana will have enough to pay for all her medical bills.

BroBuzz
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
(NOTE: There's a good possibility I may not be able to stream. It all depends if my internet is actually decent that night. will want to cooperate.)

I was looking into doing a blind run of White Day on the 27th preferably with the 9PM - 12AM commentary timeslot as well. I'm not entirely sure how long the game as, seeing as I've never played it, so the time may extend past that.

Slowflake
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Well then that's a LOOOOOT of money to raise. Since this isn't an official TSG-sanctioned marathon, I'll be flabbergasted if we can get more than a few grand. (Luckily, I don't have very good perception when it comes to that kind of thing.)

untuxable
10-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, it looks like we have a decent amount of games signed up, so that will probably fill up the time pretty well, but commentators still seem to be lacking. Do we have any idea if many gamers can commentate while they play?

Kairamek
10-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Tomb of horrors requires no commentators. That's rather the point.

scooterdude95
10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Well, it looks like we have a decent amount of games signed up, so that will probably fill up the time pretty well, but commentators still seem to be lacking. Do we have any idea if many gamers can commentate while they play?

I was planning to co-commentate with someone else while I was playing my game, Not sure with who yet, though, I'm still trying to see what my schedule will allow me to do.

Emptyeye2112
10-06-2012, 07:23 PM

I'm quite capable of this, yes. :) I'll have to play CVIV a couple more times so I know when I can kind of let my attention on the game lapse to focus on chat interaction, but this is something I pretty much always do when I stream.

colwin1
10-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Looking over my schedule, I can take Saturday 3-6 pm. I might be able to take more as the date approaches, but that depends on what my work schedule looks like during that time. I'd love to do a Rifftrax style commentary over Tomb of Horrors, since I have been on both sides of the screen for that module, but since no commentators are needed for that part I can do something else with my shift(s).

I don't have too much money to donate, but I probably can set some aside to help with this, and I'll definitely be spreading the word as best I can. There's a small but growing group in my area of Ohio supporting charity streams and gaming marathons, and I'll be sure to inform them of this event.

gendarmeofficer
10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I wonder if we should consider trying to give people more incentives to donate, similar to what TSG does in their other marathons. Maybe if at all possible, some people could try and get stuff to give away as prizes, and maybe commentators could come up with their own things that they'd do for donations? Or would that not be a good idea?

untuxable
10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I wonder if we should consider trying to give people more incentives to donate, similar to what TSG does in their other marathons. Maybe if at all possible, some people could try and get stuff to give away as prizes, and maybe commentators could come up with their own things that they'd do for donations? Or would that not be a good idea?

Yeah, the only donation incentive right now is $50 or more gets you a drawing by Ana. That's a bit out of the average donor's range, even if it is worth every penny. Commentators can do their own incentives, singing, barrel rolls, etc; much like in the community FF marathon. As far as marathon-wide incentives, like drawings can contests, i don't know. If someone has the ability to put up a raffle prize or the like, that's up to them.

battleduk1
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
What would I need to commentate? As long as I can gather those resources in time, I can take a late night shift!

Dellyflo613
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
What would I need to commentate? As long as I can gather those resources in time, I can take a late night shift!
Well, first you will need a microphone and most likely a webcam. You will also need a program that will let you stream your webcam.

battleduk1
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a mic and a webcam attached to my laptop. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what Mac compatible programs would I need?

untuxable
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I have a mic and a webcam attached to my laptop. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what Mac compatible programs would I need?

If you go on twitch.tv, they have a list of downloadable streaming programs that you can use. One costs money, one is Xsplit, which I think is going to cost money at some point, and the other is a free program called Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder. To actually stream to a twitch.tv site, you'll need a code specific to that site which I'm assuming Giraffe/Monkey will give out at some point.

It might be a good idea to make a twitch account to practice your setup, test volume, etc. I THINK that this is the tutorial I watched. The AmaRec program isn't required, but you can try it out if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n-oE6r4JR8

romscout
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Do we have any idea if many gamers can commentate while they play?
I was pretty much planning on doing this anyway since I always commentate during my streams and I'm going to be running games that have tricks/glitches that probably warrant explanation.

NYVideoGameFreak
10-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I am not expecting to reach the 50,000 dollar goal Ana has on the website just to raise any amount of money to help her out really.

When it comes to incentives I have some steam games I will be giving away to donors.

When it comes to commentators on the gaming stream they are allowed to but I'd also like to keep the commentator stream live as well so that both streams are constantly live.

I really cannot thank everyone who has signed up and showed interest in this marathon, As this being the first marathon I have ever run it I am trying very hard to make sure everything goes off without a hitch and your support means everything to me.

gendarmeofficer
10-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Wait, does that mean we do need webcams to commentate? Uh-oh, I may need to co-commentate with someone then. I'll try to get one though, if I can.

Squint
10-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Please sign me up for playing Resident Evil 1 (Gamecube remake) during the 6PM-9PM Sunday, October 28th time slot.

gonna make that dolla

Blaumagier
10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
No offense to Squint, who's offer to help out is greatly appreciated, but I would suggest having trustworthy backups in mind for anyone that you are unsure will be able to show up. This has been a rather large problem with community marathons in the past. Certainly let these newcomers have the chance, just be ready with a contingency plan is all I'm saying.

thewowgamer
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
i only wish i didn't have to work on those days (well nights really) :(

JaggerG
10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
NY: It's probably helpful to have time estimates on your game list so it's easier to schedule out. I'm considering doing Epic Mickey, it's probably about 6 hours IIRC (could be less, not sure).

Also just to clarify for others, if they don't have a camera, could a picture of a kitten or hilarious .gif or something suffice?

Blaumagier
10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
My time estimates are 1 hour for home, 1 hour for both GnG games combined, and just schedule me some time slots for Siren - I'm not going for a speed run with that one, just trying to give some good ol fashioned entertainment and let people see me jump while playing it - I plan on commentating over it, obviously. Not so sure if I should go as far as having a scare cam though.

Anatotitan
10-12-2012, 02:35 AM
NY: It's probably helpful to have time estimates on your game list so it's easier to schedule out. I'm considering doing Epic Mickey, it's probably about 6 hours IIRC (could be less, not sure).

Also just to clarify for others, if they don't have a camera, could a picture of a kitten or hilarious .gif or something suffice?

TACO.

YETI.

Emptyeye2112
10-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Hopefully CVIV will take roundabout an hour. May want to schedule like an hour fifteen minutes for it.

Kairamek
10-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Looks like I'll have at least one opening for Tomb of Horrors. Maybe more. Three players have unknown work schedules. I'm opening up volunteers so I have some people to pull from if needed.

narutomoon
10-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I would love to help by commentating during the marathon if there are any spots open. Medical Bills are a pain.

battleduk1
10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Little bit of an update on my commentary offer: I'm running into some problems running LineIn and such on my computer. Seems my OS is out of date for the programs I need. If I can get something to work soon, I'm still game, but I may not be able to commentate as I had hoped to.

RaneofSoTN
10-14-2012, 05:22 AM
In some good, and bad, news. I am getting a job but my start date is the 29th. I need to do some movings around and what not. What this means is depending on the state of things I may or may not have to step out of this and unfortunately you'd have to nix me for anything of the 29th. Cause I will be at work, or preparing for my first day where I dont wanna blow everything.

I'm sorry to make this a change, but I thought it should be brought up now.

deaddoll00
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Oh my god I would sign up for this in a second, I would D: I even know the game I would do (Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, because I love commentary on anything Lovecraft), but I won't be here for the time :( Aw man, seriously regret this...

puwexil
10-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Any idea when the schedule will be posted?

NhouzXM
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
If there are still open slots for games, I'd love to offer Resident Evil 2 which I'm fairly capable at (last playthrough which was super casual was around the 1:41 mark on PS3 with LeonA).

FrenchToast1
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Okay, more substantial update from me!

I'm open for Friday and Saturday for playing and commentating, and a bit later on Saturday since I go in late on Sunday (but no later than about 2 or 3 AM Sunday morning).

For gaming:
Lone Survivor: 6 hours at the top I think, though I think I can do it in 4
Amnesia: Haven't finished it yet because I'm a wuss, the top playtime is estimated at 15 hours, I think I can do it within 10 to 14 hours
The Walking Dead: I'd definitely be up for this! I can do it at a top of 12 hours, 10 most likely, maybe 8 since I'm familiar with all the released episodes|
Dead Space 1: Not big on this one, the PC version is kinda butt, but if we want to do it I'll see about making it work

For commentating: I'm definitely up for it when I'm not gaming, though I need to test out whatever software would be used for it.

So there we go! PM me if we need to work out anything else!

NYVideoGameFreak
10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
I am currently working on the gaming schedule and it is looking fairly grim for time consumption so the marathon may cut a day or 2 off to solidify gamers and commentators and if it still looks empty I may hand this marathon off to some SDA members who can hopefully get more interest than I can.

gendarmeofficer
10-16-2012, 09:21 PM
If we need more gamers, I can probably stream Clock Tower for the SNES. Only thing is I can't guarantee I'll be available on Monday though, so if I do play, it would have to be before then.

Anatotitan
10-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Hey folks! Romscout from SDA has posted on the SDA forums about this: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... t_llk.html (http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sda_community_speedrun_spooktacular_to_benefit_llk .html)

If you're still interested, you should PM Romscout with your Twitch name if you're going to stream/webcam commentate and Skype name if you're going to be in a Skype call during the show. You should also show him some streaming footage and do a test stream for him if you've never streamed before, so any bugs can be worked out ahead of time. All part of getting the technical stuff nailed down!

Also I probably don't need to tell you this, but let's have fun! Help is always appreciated, but let's think of this more as a fun party. Don't worry too much about me :P I'll be watching for the awesome runs and commentary!

gendarmeofficer
10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Should we PM him if we already signed up here?

colwin1
10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
if more shifts filled and people watching are what you need, then I have a solution (of a sort.) I'll take Sunday 12-3 pm and then Sunday 3-6 pm.

I'm gonna make a thread over on Play Diplomacy and see who is interested in watching. People who are a part of The Great Hobby will take any opportunity to talk about it, and I could get them in a Skype call for a part of the double shift to discuss Diplomacy, scary Halloween things, games, and Scary Halloween Diplomacy. If that doesn't bring them coming to the marathon, nothing will.

I'll update this post with the link once I have the thread up.

NYVideoGameFreak
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
The marathon has been officially moved over to http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... t_llk.html (http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sda_community_speedrun_spooktacular_to_benefit_llk .html) and anyone who has already signed up here has been invited to sign up for their marathon.

The date has been changed to Oct. 26th - Oct. 28th and as of now is going to be streamed on Romscout's channel

Kairamek
10-17-2012, 10:21 PM
With SDA taking over I think we'll pass. They're hardcore vidya gamin'. No place for tabletops there.

Blaumagier
10-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to pass as well. The only one of my games that was actually going to be a "speed run" was GnG and the capture has graphical problems (though it's still perfectly viewable, and it looks fine on my iPad so it doesn't affect my playing) and I know they like to have the best quality they can get. The graphical issues would probably be enough to make a lot of people very angry.

battleduk1
10-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok, so apparently my OS is way too old to run any of the software I need to commentate, so it appears I can't participate. It's a huge bummer, and I don't want you guys to think of me as some kind of flake, but I won't be able to update all my stuff in time for the event. I will, of course, still be supporting by watching and spreading the word! Next time I'll make sure I'm 100% capable before offering to participate. Sorry again!

scooterdude95
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'm going to pass as well :/

AlanEdgeHead
10-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Joining the bandwagon and saying I'm gonna pass on this as well. It was cool when it was our community, but I dunno now. Best of luck though.

Dellyflo613
10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Battleduk: Have you tried downloading older versions of those programs that were released for your OS version?

Also, I am unfortunately going to have to pass on this as well. It turns out that I am going to be a lot busier than I expected that weekend.

BroBuzz
10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Seeing as my stream wasn't going to be speedrun based, heck I doubted if I would be able to complete the game, I'm going to have to pass. I may still stream it and promote the cause though, just separately.

Stonepaw
10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm also gonna pass as well.

JaggerG
10-19-2012, 01:11 AM
I know they like to have the best quality they can get.
That's for submissions to the site. Unless the video is really choppy or very blocky/fuzzy, it's probably okay. Everyone's streaming from home and probably don't all have the best connection ever. Mainly the organizer is asking for close-ish estimates so they can actually make up a reasonable schedule to stick to. Something like +/- 30 minutes maybe. Considering it's all remote-streaming rather than in-house, there are even more factors for them to stress over, thus the relative strictness in the planning stage.

Don't get discouraged, just understand that romscout's trying to be as organized as possible, and there are a lot of volunteers. If he asks you for more info or more certainty, remember it's still in the planning stages, he needs the info to help him fit your run in. If he says the schedule may be tight around your requested times, it's not necessarily a no-go just yet, but he's trying to please as many people as possible, so don't take it personally if your run doesn't make the cut.

Blaumagier
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Well the graphical issues could be mistaken for choppiness, so yeah, still going to pass. It's a weird graphical glitch and it's consistent throughout usage of both apps on my iPad 1 while using DisplayOut.

Anatotitan
10-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Waitwaitwaitwait why is everyone jumping ship all of a sudden?

Listen, I'm not going to be mad at people for not participating. If you have scheduling conflicts or have simply lost interest, that's fine! No harm.

But if anyone's worried about it being on SDA, or intimidated by their skills, or anything, please don't be. I keep saying that this is for fun! I'm much, much more concerned with everyone having a good time. Help is appreciated, but honestly I'm mostly just happy that we're getting some kind of Halloween marathon again.

Want to see how seriously I take video games? Here you go:
[ytube:1dtnppxm]_MUbOxdKJPI[/ytube:1dtnppxm]

As some of you know, I spent hours wandering aimlessly in Clock Tower and spent an hour dying on the same level in Eversion. Do you think anyone's going to be mad at you for not having a world record? I'm probably the worst player here :lol:

So really, please, if you want to play, by all means play! I want everyone to have a good time, okay? But if you do play, PLEASE say so ASAP because last-minute changes aren't very conducive to any kind of marathon.

Kairamek
10-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I *want* to play, but I really don't think a 4 to 6 hour tabletop game is going to fit in. I was going to do it here cause TSG is a tight nit group and would be more accomidating to new and different ideas like that. I'm not comfortable walking into someone else's house and doing this:
[youtube:s9rc4qys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P86C-1x3o[/youtube:s9rc4qys]

I am truly sorry. I wanted to help, but with SDA taking over I think the best thing I can do to help is not get in their way.

untuxable
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
As far as I can tell, we have a whole bunch of people that are backing out because they wanted the marathon to be an all-around fun time within our tight knit community. Actually, I tend to agree a little bit. Trying to join in with the SDA crowd is a bit like mixing two groups of friends; yeah, they're all friends, but it's still a little weird.

So, why can't we still do our own marathon? We might not have enough to make it a "full marathon" or anything, but there are still plenty of us who would like to get together and have a good time while raising money for Jazz.

Is there any chance we could simply move back our original schedule a week or two? Even if some people had to drop out/rearrange, we'd still have another week or 2 weeks to re-organize everybody. I realize that means either having it the weekend of halloween or the week after, which would kinda ruin the "building up to halloween" mood, but I don't think that matters so much.

Thoughts?

BroBuzz
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I have nothing against SDA. I'd join in with them except they want the games people streams to be completed, while I was just planing on getting the bajeebers scared out of me and not finishing the game since it's rather long.

JaggerG
10-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Eh, good points. Curious if another marathon could be coordinated soon enough, considering there are already so many volunteers.

Blaumagier
10-20-2012, 04:05 AM
I don't like to think of TSG and SDA as "two different groups of friends" but Jazz put it nicely when she said TSG and SDA have two different focuses when each conducts a marathon. SDA focuses on actual (and impressive) speed running to entertain where as TSG focuses on (hilarious) stunts to entertain. It seems the majority of us were going along the stunt route, such as me (with home and siren) and Brobuzz just wanting to casually stream a scary game while having the bejebus scared out of us. Its not so much that we're jumping ship as it is that those plans simply don't fit in an SDA community marathon. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure the post I read over at SDA said that the games must be completed and need to at least be an attempt at speed running even if not a world record class run, "casual speed run" I believe was how it was worded. That's fine and well and I'd love to help out, but when you look at my games offered, it doesn't really pan out. Yes I could speed run Home, but that would be incredibly boring. Siren is blind for me, so nope, no speed run there, doubtful I would even finish. That leaves Ghosts N Goblins for iOS and I have graphical issues that could definitely appear like choppiness, even though the game itself is actually running smooth, when streamed. At TSG, especially a community marathon, we all pretty much know each other and it could be explained and wouldn't really be a big deal, but I know SDA has a certain level of quality and I just don't want to make people (that I mostly don't even know) mad with my graphical issues, or else I would still do my GnG runs. In the end, it would only take an hour though. IF they want me to do my run of the two Ghosts N Goblins Gold Knights games with my crappy iPad 1/DisplayOut graphical issues, then I'm game for, but I'm sure they can fill an hour with something better. Last I saw they already had 36 hours filled.

gendarmeofficer
10-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Perhaps instead of doing two separate marathons at two separate times, something could be arranged so that the TSG folks and the SDA folks can work together? Like for instance, the SDA people could be the main gamers, so to speak, with TSG people filling in with whatever games they can play in case someone finishes early, has to drop out, or there's just extra space available for us, in addition to providing commentary as well? Surely some sort of compromise can be worked out where it feels like both communities are working together for one common goal as opposed to it feeling like only one group can help out at a time.

battleduk1
10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Gendarme raises a good point. His suggestions sounds pretty good to me, and the way I see it, we can only help support Ana MORE by working together. As I mentioned before, my technical difficulties are keeping me from actually participating, but I'd be happy to spread the word!

Kairamek
10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Not sure about that one. Just because they're having to cut games already. Something about having over FOUR DAYS of players lined up. My concern is when will Ana have time to draw all those $50+ donation rewards afterwards?

gendarmeofficer
10-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Well even if they have enough players, perhaps the TSG community can still provide commentary? I imagine that most of the SDA people will be a bit focused on the games at hand, and it would be nice to have someone able to talk to the viewers, y'know. Plus commentators can do stunts and such if they want/are able to do so, which will probably help the cause a bit more than if it was all just watching people play games.

untuxable
10-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Well even if they have enough players, perhaps the TSG community can still provide commentary? I imagine that most of the SDA people will be a bit focused on the games at hand, and it would be nice to have someone able to talk to the viewers, y'know. Plus commentators can do stunts and such if they want/are able to do so, which will probably help the cause a bit more than if it was all just watching people play games.

That is a possibility. The only issue I see arising is that some of the gamers will be commentating/explaining themselves as they go through, and as of now, we don't know when we would even be avaliable to commentate. I do remember seeing something about them trying to organize skype calls for people that didn't want to/couldn't commentate themselves, so maybe we could volunteer for that.

Kairamek
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes! Go sign up now. It's almost to late.

gendarmeofficer
10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Looking through the SDA forums, it seems that it's up to the individual streamer to decide if they want to have someone commentating or not. Since I don't want to make an account over there just to ask if I can commentate during someone's run (I doubt they'd really appreciate that too much, plus even if they didn't mind I doubt I'd ever use said account ever again afterwards anyway, so why bother?) I'll just ask the TSG guys here that plan to stream some games if it would be alright for me to do commentary during their runs? And if it is alright with you, if I agree to let someone who wants to co-commentate with me?

Shikumozikuto
10-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I think Ana said you could pm Romscout on twitch if you want to stream so you don't have to worry about creating a SDA forum account.

gendarmeofficer
10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Except I'm not really wanting to play any games, I'd rather commentate. And it's not because of the fact that most of the gamers are SDA either, I didn't really want to actually stream from the start. And again, Romscout said it's up to the gamers if they wanted commentators or not, I figured it would be better to ask the people gaming than to ask him.

Shikumozikuto
10-22-2012, 01:43 AM
You can pm him on twitch to say you want to commentate as well just tell him your Skype name and what time you would want to commentate.

romscout
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, even though I said it's up to the runners to decide how they want commentary to go, I sort of made an exception for the TSG people participating since they aren't as familiar with the SDA community. I've been more or less finding commentators for their slots, and if anyone else here wanted to participate just by commentating, I'm sure I can work something out to guarantee that you get to be on the air for a while.

Just bug me on Skype if you have me on there, and otherwise just PM me here. Just give me your skype name (if I don't have it) and let me know what games you are interested in commentating for and I'll make sure the runner adds you and has you on during their run.

edit: I suppose posting the schedule would help

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... neHc#gid=0 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj2eKeMxVzzzdEhTRWNPOFBfV1lSRnRfNWw2Q1Bne Hc#gid=0)

If you are especially interested in commentating on games that other TSG members are running, Frenchtoast1 is opening the marathon with Lone Survivor and Eversion, JaggerG is playing Metroid Fusion on Saturday, and the1stpkmnfan is playing No More Heroes 2 on Sunday morning. I didn't cut any games volunteered by TSG members, and I'll be just as lenient with people wanting to commentate as long as you actually have the means to do so (um.. microphone and skype? lol).

Kairamek
10-27-2012, 05:34 PM
ARE YOU WATCHING IT YET?! IT'S GOING REALLY GOOD! http://www.twitch.tv/romscout

Here's what you're missing:
http://i.imgur.com/iTRiL.png
A Taco Alpaca... An Alpaco?

the1stpkmnfan
10-28-2012, 08:27 PM
And I prefer this over Taco Yeti.

Kairamek
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
It was really successful. Almost 10k. The chip-in and Give Forward are still open for donation. Don't be shy to donate late, she still has a five digit number to pay off.