PDA

View Full Version : XBMC

Diana3
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm assuming no, but has anyone used XBMC on their apple tv (or xbox, of course)? I just installed it on my apple tv last night and wanted to know if anyone has some insight on whether or not it works well for them.

Aeronautical
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm assuming no, but has anyone used XBMC on their apple tv (or xbox, of course)? I just installed it on my apple tv last night and wanted to know if anyone has some insight on whether or not it works well for them.
I haven't heard of that. Would you mind explaining it to me? I'd be thankful

Diana3
10-06-2008, 05:43 PM
It's a media streaming application, so you can use it for videos, music, and pictures. I wanted it to stream videos, so I wouldn't have to convert everything to the apple TV format first. The gui is very pretty, but I have lots of caching issues. *sad* :cry:

Aeronautical
10-06-2008, 05:56 PM
It's a media streaming application, so you can use it for videos, music, and pictures. I wanted it to stream videos, so I wouldn't have to convert everything to the apple TV format first. The gui is very pretty, but I have lots of caching issues. *sad* :cry:
Ok, sounds cool. I'm not a real Apple expert, but I have a friend who is. I'll be sure to ask him for you.

Gwellin
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Hmm, I had never heard of it, but not having an Apple TV or crapBox would be a good reason for that. If anyone else is interested here is the link I found via Googleling: http://xbmc.org/

Despite not using it, my first thought is your network bandwidth. How are you connecting your machine and Apple TV? I assume through a WiFi router. You could try running an Ethernet cable to the Apple TV to see if the higher speed make a difference. The type of router could make a difference as well. And finally, if your computer is just too slow to stream the video quick enough that could be another reason.

fettouhi
10-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't use XBMC. I build my own one from a PC with vista MC on it with a DVB tuner in it and some other stuff works like a charm. this is a better solution if you want to be able to play any kind of avi, mvk, ogm ... file that is out there

Diana3
10-07-2008, 05:25 AM
I don't use XBMC. I build my own one from a PC with vista MC on it with a DVB tuner in it and some other stuff works like a charm. this is a better solution if you want to be able to play any kind of avi, mvk, ogm ... file that is out there

yeah I have a windows home server, too. I pretty much have about ten thousand ways to get video to my television, but I this one seemed nice. And fast, since the apple tv is always on(ish). lol. Thanks for the reply!