PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Month Club

DwarfInASuit
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone, welcome to the Game of the Month Club!

What's a Game of the Month Club?
Good question. A Game of the Month Club works just like a book club. Every month the members of the club pick a game, new or old, and have until a specific date to play it. On that specific date, all the members get together, and share their thoughts on the game. Did the enjoy it? Did the hate it? Either so, why? Things like that are what we'll be talking about in the club. A week or so after the discussion, a vote is placed to decide what game is played next month. And so on and so forth until the heat-death of the universe.

How can I join?
You already have! No need to sign up. Every member of TSG is already a part of the club. Does that mean that every member of TSG is going to be here? Not at all. You should only be here if you want to talk about the Game of the Month. If you think this is a dumb idea then stop and turn around, because this is not for you.

But games are so expensive?
Don't worry, we won't be playing a new AAA $60 game every month. At least, not unless the members decide so. The games we play every month are decided by the members and by a vote. Mostly I believe we'll be playing games that are cheap and easy to obtain because that's something almost everyone should be fine with. I predict we'll mostly be playing Older Games, Indie Games, Games on Sale, and Free To Play Games with a AAA Game sneaked in every once in a while. Don't go wasting your money on video games when you could be buying food or paying the bills!

Sounds good so far. Now what will I do on discussion day?
On a month's discussion day, everyone is allowed to speak their mind on the game of the month. There isn't a specific topic that you need to answer to, i.e. questions like "What do you think of Mario's jump and how it's changed in gaming" won't be asked. We're allowed to say whatever we think about the game, what parts we liked, and what parts we hated. And of course [spoiler:11dns2jo]use spoilers if we're talking about a story-driven game![/spoiler:11dns2jo] Most people these days are starved for time, so you don't need to beat the game in order to contribute to discussion, you just need to have played enough in order to know what your thoughts are on the game.

Discussion day is only the day that we start our discussion. Truth is you can talk about our Game of the Month until our next discussion day. So if we are discussing Super Mario Bros in January, and we're discussing The Legend of Zelda in February, you can talk all you want about Super Mario Bros right until we start talking about The Legend of Zelda. Once the next discussion starts, the previous needs to immediately stop.

How does voting work?
Easy. The day after we choose our game of the month, we can start suggesting games we want to play for next month. Then the day after our discussion day, we vote for what game we play next month. So say on March 1st we announce our game of the month for March, then on March 2nd you can start suggesting games we can play for the month after March. Now say that our discussion day in March is the 18th, starting the day after that, the 19th, we then vote for those suggested games. You can only vote for the suggested games, you can't vote for any game that hasn't been suggested. So if you suggest Super Mario Bros, someone else suggests The Legend of Zelda, and someone else suggests Pokemon Red, you can only vote for those 3 games. Then on the first day of the next month, either myself or whoever else is in charge will announce the game of the month for that month.

If there's a tie for Game of the Month, there will be a tie-breaker vote for the first week of the month. If there's still a tie after that, either myself or whoever else is in charge will personally decide the game of the month.

If no one suggests a single game for the Game of the Month, then either myself or anyone else who is in charge will personally choose a game of the month on the 1st.

Your votes are the deciding factor for our Game of the Month! So please make suggestions and please try and vote if you want your game to be our Game of the Month!

I'm sold! I want to get started right away!
Be sure to look at some of the most recent posts in order to figure out what we're doing so far, and then join in on the discussion! We'd love to hear what you thought about our Game of the Month!

DwarfInASuit
01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Month of:January, 2013

Alright guys, since we're starting in January and not before January, I'm going to pick our first discussion. It'll be something simple enough that will allow me to decide whether people will be interested in the club or not, because if I'm the only one discussing anything, then I'm going to call it off. Our first game should be a game almost everyone here in TSG Community should have played before: Pokemon.

Whether it's Red or Blue, Black or White, any color or any game in between that counts as a game. This means that you can play any of the Pokemon RPG's, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rangers, Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Trozei, Pokemon Pinball, Hey You Pikachu, any game that has Pokemon or Pocket Monster in it.

Try and catch em all by January 19th because that will be our discussion day.

Come back on January 21st to decide what game we will be playing in February, 2013. If you want to suggest the game to play for February, then drop the name of the game, and what system it's for (Gameboy, PC, Xbox, Playstation, etc...) as a response sometime before the 21st. If no one suggests a game, then I will suggest the game we play for February.

Have fun guys _spy_

Alveia
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
This is an awesome idea, I'm really excited for this.

TheSecretStaraptor
01-03-2013, 12:46 AM
This sounds really cool. I will most definitely be participating in this.

[ Post made via Nintendo Wii U ]

wee187
01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
This is really cool, I'll probably partake in this as well if I've got the time.

16BitGeek
01-03-2013, 12:55 AM
This is a pretty cool idea, I'm gonna definitely try this out. I think I'm going to play one of the spin offs since I've played through all of the main games.

zion777
01-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Sounds great, will the discussions take place in this forum?

DwarfInASuit
01-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Sounds great, will the discussions take place in this forum?

Yep. Usually on discussion day I'll make a post to "start" the discussion, but really it's more of a reminder to everyone participating that it's discussion day. So January 19th anyone can start the discussion whenever they please. _spy_

torimori
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I'd like to participate in this, but it'll probably have to start in February for me, because I have no way to play any Pokemon games at the moment, sadly. I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread, however.

DwarfInASuit
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
There are 10 days until our first discussion day on January 19th! At this point in time, I'd like to open the floodgates and hear from you guys, what game should we play for February 2013?

That way we'll do this will be easy. Just leave a response saying the name and platform of the game (i.e. Super Mario Bros, NES) and it will be added to a pool of games. Then on January 21st, 2013 we'll vote for the game, and on February 1st, 2013 I'll make the announcement of what game we'll be playing for February.

My suggestion will be Team Fortress 2 for the PC.

untuxable
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
My suggestion will be Team Fortress 2 for the PC.

Didn't see that one coming or anything ;)

I'll suggest Bastion for the PC, since a lot of people seem to have it.

Sonic62
01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Sonic CD, Various.

jdtwins2009
01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
I'll suggest To The Moon. Though it's really short... so it wouldn't require a whole month :lol:
Available on Steam, can be beat in around 4 hours.

AnythingButAwesome
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Bump. Discussion is tomorrow. Pokemon.

kmmgreen5
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
This is cool @.@ ...

[ Post made via Android ]

DwarfInASuit
01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Hopefully everyone's been trying their best to catch them all, because discussion starts tomorrow! Since I probably won't be awake by the time discussion actually starts, here's some things to keep in mind.

It's an open discussion
Quite simply, you show up, make a post about the game you played and what you thought about it/what you want to talk about. You can say anything you want about the game you played, you can say how much you love it, you can call it a pile of crap, as long as you leave room for discussion. Posts like:

I played Pokemon Red lol
or

I didn't play anything so let's talk about Mario
don't make for very good discussion. The first example has nothing that could possibly start a discussion and the second example doesn't talk about the game of the month and instead derails the subject. Avoid making something like this at all costs.

Instead, think about posting something like

I played Pokemon Red and found it very different from modern Pokemon games because yada yada yada. What do you think?
or

I played Pokemon Red and I liked it for these reasons: blahblahblahblah. I think Pokemon Red is the best Pokemon game for those reasons.
of course replacing the "yadas" and the "blahs" with actual reasons. The first example asks a question which people can answer and give their own opinions to. The second example gives a list of reasons why the poster liked the game they've played, and then makes a statement which can be discussed.

We're here to talk about what we all played this month, so try and contribute to the conversation in some degree. Or start your own! We've all played a bunch of different games this month, I'm sure there are lots of people who played the same game, or lots of people who played different games. Keep the discussion open and lively guys!

If you have a hard time posting, here are some simple questions that you can answer to hopefully get the ball rolling.
1. What Pokemon game did you play and why? What generation was it? Was it a spin-off game?
- Why did you pick that generation of game? Is it better than the generations before/after it?
- Why did you pick a spin-off game like Mystery Dungeon or Ranger? Do you think they are good games?
2. (HINT: This is probably the best question to incite discussion!) Did you enjoy the game you played? Or did you absolutely hate it? What do you think makes the game you played good/bad?
3. Pokemon has come under a lot of fire due to recent comparisons made between the marketing of Pokemon and the marketing of games like Call of Duty where a game comes out nearly every year with small changes made. Do you think this is an apt comparison? Is Pokemon Nintendo's cash cow, like CoD is Activisions?
4. Pokemon X & Y have been recently announced to come out in October this year. This 6th Generation of Pokemon games brings us new Pokemon, new Moves, and a new world to explore. It also gets rid of the pixel graphics that Pokemon has been using since it's creation and replaces them with 3D graphics to go with the 3DS's capabilities. What do you want changed in X & Y that you didn't enjoy in the Pokemon game you played this month? What things do you think should stay the same?
(NOTE: I predict that X & Y will dominate this month's discussion since it was just announced a few weeks ago. It's perfectly fine to talk about X & Y, but keep in mind that none of us have actually played the game yet. So in your discussion about X & Y be sure to find some way to tie it into the game you played this month. Talk about why you think Red is going to be better than X because of blah blah blah reasons.)

These questions are just suggestions to help fire up the discussion. You don't need to answer any of these questions if you don't feel like you need to. If you can find way to make discussion yourself, then feel free to do so.

You guys are free to start discussion whenever you want. Don't wait for me to start talking. As long as your clock says it's January 19th then feel free to talk away!

Finally, on the 21st is when we'll be voting for the game we'll be playing in February. So far the suggestions are:
* Team Fortress 2
* Bastion
* Sonic CD
* To The Moon

You have until the end of today to make your suggestions, because we vote the 21st for what game we'll play in February. How we vote is simple. Since the Poll Feature in the forums in kinda janky, and I don't want to sign up for some odd anonymous poll site, I'll post on the 21st the games up for suggestion and you reply with what game you want to play. If there's a tie we'll have a tie-breaker vote. If we can't resolve then I'll personally decide the game of the month. Then on February 1st I'll let everyone know what game we'll be playing, and the date we'll discuss it on. And we repeat that cycle every month of every year until the heat death of the universe.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you all tomorrow for discussion day _spy_

TheSecretStaraptor
01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Alright, I'm definitely excited for this.

Also, add Final Fantasy VI to those suggestions.

kmmgreen5
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
add metroid 2 on the gameboy to the discussion, also i m wondering if i should sticky this since i like the idea :Va

DwarfInASuit
01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
I decided to dip back into Pokemon Black & White 2 with my copy of White 2. I talked a bit about these games in my Advent Calender back in December, but I don't think I got super far enough into them in order to form a valid opinion. So after sinking my teeth back into the most recent Pokemon games, here is what I have to say.

Black 2 & White 2 are the best Pokemon games to date, but I don't think that mainstream Pokemon games should be majorly story-driven. In terms of gameplay and Pokemon battles, the most recent Pokemon game is always going to be the best hands down. But when there's an attempt to add story to Pokemon, it seems that the developers trip over themselves a bit. Mainstream Pokemon is based on going around the world, fighting gym leaders, and going to the Elite Four. But when you try and tie a story into that, it seems odd. Why would my character still be going to gyms when there's a looming threat in the world? I'm not talking Team Rocket from the first game, who were just a bunch of thieves. I'm talking stuff like Team Aqua trying to flood the world and Team Plasma trying to liberate all Pokemon or whatever their motive was (Another gripe of mine). The way that these threats are tied into the main idea of the game is very fumbled. I feel that there's no real room to develop a good story in a mainstream Pokemon game because it's so tied down to the Gym Leader/Elite Four/Globe Trotting mechanics. It's hard to slot in story exposition and development between this, and it's harder to space it out to keep player interested in playing the game. If I were to give advice on the development of X & Y, I'd say to step away from the story-based stuff, unless you know what you're doing. Instead focus on bringing and developing good game mechanics, because I'm 100% sure that X & Y will be 100 times better than Black 2 and White 2.

I then actually went back and picked at my copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time in order to get hyped for Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity. And I would like to say dang is that a good game. And it actually has a decent story. Which brings up the second part of my opinion, while mainstream Pokemon games should stay away from story, the spin-offs should spearhead better stories. You see Explorers of Time isn't tied down to base mechanics established by past games. It can do whatever it wants at the pace it wants. And I seriously enjoyed it that way. There was a decent story, with decent characters, and it was all supported by fantastic gameplay. I'd go to say that Mystery Dungeon is actually my favorite type of Pokemon game, even more than the standard game.

In summary, I liked both the games I've played. I'm really excited for Pokemon's future, because the gameplay will always be top-notch and fantastic. It's just the other bits that I'm concerned about. But we shall see what X & Y bring to the table, but whatever it is, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

((Since this is our first discussion, I'd like to point out some things. First off, you don't need to make a post as long as mine. I just like to go overboard with my discussions. You can make as short a post as you want to, as long as you think it can facilitate discussion. Second is that although I'm the planner, you don't need to wait for me. I'm no leader, you guys can chat all you want about the game of the month! Finally, although today is discussion day, feel free to continue discussing into February! But if we're still talking Pokemon on the discussion day in February, we're going to need to call it off. That's all, have fun guys!))

AnythingButAwesome
01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I played Pokemon Yellow. That game is pretty dope. I don't think it is as good as any of the other main pokemon games but they had to start somewhere. It is kind of ugly and I miss some features of games after it. The game starts out pretty hard. You have to beat the first gym leader who is not a very good friend to pikachu and you pretty much have to figure out to catch a poison type pokemon. I used the glitch to get Mew and used it as my main later in the game.

Right before I got to the elite four the game totally glitched out. All the tiles were garbled. Something was just wrong with my game. I don't think it had anything to do with my getting Mew though. I wasn't able to complete the game.

Overall the game was fun and retro.

Alveia
01-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I thought we were making a new thread for specific discussion on Pokemon?

DwarfInASuit
01-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I thought we were making a new thread for specific discussion on Pokemon?

Nope. It all happens here. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that.

DwarfInASuit
01-21-2013, 09:34 AM
It's time to take a vote for our Game of the Month for February!

Here's how it works: I'm going to post a list of the games that were suggested for February. Leave a response saying what game you want to play in February. One vote per person, and you're allowed to change it as many times as you want. February 1st is when the votes will be tallied and I'll announce the game we'll be playing in February and the day we'll start talking about it.

First, a digression. This voting method is questionable, but the reason we're doing it right now is because I can't find a better alternative. The Poll built into the forum is janky and broken, and I don't trust any outside "Create a Poll" websites because most are spam-ridden and aren't trustworthy. The best one I found required a payment of $100 up front in order to create polls. So if you can think of a better way for us to vote, please leave a suggestion!

Now down to the voting. Here are the games suggested for February, 2013
* Team Fortress 2
* Bastion
* Sonic CD
* To The Moon
* Final Fantasy VI
* Metroid 2

Leave a response saying which of these games you want to play in February. Keep in mind the length of game, type of game, price of the game, and availability of the game.

I'm voting for Bastion.

TheSecretStaraptor
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Put my vote towards Final Fantasy VI.

16BitGeek
01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Well this month I decided to play White 2. In my opinion I'd say Black and White 2 are the best games in the series. The gameplay is the same as always sticking with that classic formula we all know and love. The one thing that I really like about the game is the variation of different Pokemon you can obtain during the main story of the game. Being able to catch Pokemon from all generations, being able to mix and match each one until you get your perfect is something that I really like. I know some people didn't like Black and White due to not be able to get Pokemon from older generations until after the main game, I personally didn't have a problem with it, but I think it was a great idea to integrate Pokemon from all generations into BW2. The soundtrack in this game is easily one of the best in the series, I love the Champion theme, and the remixes for champion themes in the Pokemon World Tournament, oh god are those good.

Those are just a few of the reasons I think that Black and White 2 are the best entries in the series. I'm excited to see what X and Y brings to the table in October and see what they can improve on from BW2, and obviously everyone is also excited to see how many new Pokemon we're gonna get and what the new Pokemon are going to look like.

As for February's game, I'll vote for Final Fantasy VI.

zion777
01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
My vote goes for Final Fantasy VI (been looking for excuses to play it).

As for pokemon, I was not able to find the time to play it, so i spent sometime just watching streams and various youtube videos of people playing it. PokeMMO was one thing I discovered that quite intrigued me. Other than that I enjoyed watching various videos of how to find Mew next to a truck etc.. because I recalled trying so hard to do so in past.

jdtwins2009
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Finally getting around to checking the forums/posting again from last week! Anyways, I didn't have too much time to play any pokemon, but I did try and pop up White 2 for a few minutes a couple of times.

I'm liking White 2 more than I did White 1 so far, probably because I'm finally getting used to the new pokemon a bit more... I'm in the sewers of Castelia city so I'm obviously not very far into the game yet but it's definitely fun.

If it keeps up White 2 might become my favorite in the series so far. Of course, there's a lot of things it needs to do/make me feel for that to happen!

EDIT: Oh and I'll vote for Bastion as well.

rudy06
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
I would love to get in on this. My vote is for Final Fantasy VI. I've played the game to the final dungeon (3 times?) and still haven't completed it.

WolfAmadeus
01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I would love to be a part of this, it would give me something to look forward to every month. So I vote for Bastion because I want to play more of that game.

DwarfInASuit
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Month of: February 2013
Final Fantasy VI
http://i.imgur.com/rSpxCRa.jpg
Many centuries have passes since the war of the Magi. Civilizations have been rebuilt with iron, machines, and technology. For years the Espers have existed only in ancient legends. Now an Esper has been discovered and the forces of magic are beginning to return. The risk of another, more devastating war, is about to surface.

Alright everyone, winning with four total votes for our game of the month in February is Final Fantasy VI. You can pick up Final Fantasy VI on the Playstation Store ($10), the Virtual Console (800 Wii Points), or on an emulator on your phone or tablet. If you own an old copy of it, whether it's for the SNES or it's a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance for the Game Boy Advance, then that's perfectly fine as well.

Many fans of the Final Fantasy franchise consider Final Fantasy VI to be the best Final Fantasy game ever made. Others think it's the best RPG ever made. Others think otherwise. What side will you be on? Will you have a different opinion of the game? We're going to play through Final Fantasy VI this month with that in mind. Keep in mind that Final Fantasy VI is a long game with most complete playthroughs stretching to about 50-60 hours. If you don't think you're going to beat the game, then my advice is to play as much as you think you can and try to get to what you think is a major plot point, then stop there.

Try and beat Final Fantasy VI by February 22nd for that will be our discussion day. That will also be the day that all Pokemon discussion will stop, so if you still have something to say about Pokemon, go for it!

Now since Final Fantasy VI is a story driven game, we will be using spoiler tags:
[spoiler:rqb0t0cg][/spoiler:rqb0t0cg]
Keep this in mind guys, some people may not be able to beat the entire game, so don't spoil major points of the game.

Personally, I have never played Final Fantasy VI. I am looking forward to playing this and hopefully, should school not get in my way, beat it. I hope that many of you guys feel the same and you are getting pumped because this will be an interesting discussion!

A week before discussion, the 15th, I'll post a list of questions and topics that we can discuss on the 22nd. Five days before that, the 10th, will be the first day we can start suggesting games for March and the 23rd will be the day we start voting for March's game of the month. Keep this dates in mind, but I'll be sure to remind everyone just in case. I can't wait for discussion day this month, and I hope to see everyone else there on the 22nd!

rudy06
02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Awesome! Now I will just have to squeeze in some time to play it. Assuming I actually get to play, I think I will post some about my progress (and I hope others may post some as well.) During college, a roommate and I would always play the same game (two separate save files) which helped us to keep up with each other and gave us another reason to play. I always enjoyed having 20 less hours and my characters were just as good. XD

gendarmeofficer
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
I suppose VI is just as good a game to start playing Final Fantasy as any of the others. Even though I have FF 1 on VC and still have yet to beat it.

TheGuyWithKnowName
02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd fancy a game of the day :)

DwarfInASuit
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd fancy a game of the day :)

This game requires 60 hours to beat. You have one day to beat it. _spy_

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but there are a few reasons why I can't do a game of the day. The biggest reason I'll give up is because that would require a lot of planning ahead. I'd need to research a game, find out if it's available, find out if it's expensive or not, figure out how long it takes to play and beat it, and those are just a few of the things I'd need to do. It would be a difficult thing to try and organize.

TheSecretStaraptor
02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Well, this is going to be a fun ride for me. I believe that I should be able to beat this game before next week, because I recently discovered a file on my GBA version of this game from a few months ago where I was about halfway through the game, so I guess that is where I will begin. Anyway, here is my progress so far:

[spoiler:k3eiq7as]Recruited Characters:
Everyone except for Umaro

Magicite:
Ramuh
Kirin
Siren
Cait Sith
Ifrit
Shiva
Unicorn
Maduin
Catoblepas
Phantom
Carbuncle
Bismarck
Seraph
Quetzalli
Fenrir
Valigarmanda
Lakshmi
Alexander
Phoenix
Bahamut
Ragnarok

Mog's Dances:
Love Serenade
Twilight Requiem

Sabin's Blitzes:
Raging Fist
Aura Cannon
Meteor Strike
Rising Phoenix
Chakra
Razor Gale
Phantom Rush

Cyan's Sword Techniques:
All of them

Gau's Rages:
~50% of them

Also, I have grinded the Cursed Shield into the Paladin's shield. I have beaten 2 out of 8 dragons so far. Deathgaze has been defeated.[/spoiler:k3eiq7as]

Anyway, I can't wait until we start discussing this. This is going to be awesome.

16BitGeek
02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm going to buy it off the Virtual Console, I'll start playing it tonight. I'm really excited, I've heard a lot of good things about this game. :D

EDIT - Also I heard that today Final Fantasy VI, along with other games in the series, are on sale on PSN for $5. I don't have a PS3 or Vita so I'm not sure if this is true, I just saw someone tweet about it.

WolfAmadeus
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I can't wait to start playing this game. I'll probably get it on the VC since I don't own a PS3.

TheSecretStaraptor
02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm going to buy it off the Virtual Console, I'll start playing it tonight. I'm really excited, I've heard a lot of good things about this game. :D

EDIT - Also I heard that today Final Fantasy VI, along with other games in the series, are on sale on PSN for $5. I don't have a PS3 or Vita so I'm not sure if this is true, I just saw someone tweet about it.
That is very much true. That game, along with every other FF game on PSN, is now half off, and I DEFINITELY recommend it for anybody new to the series.

Brineboy
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
If you have a vita or psp you are able to get 1-9 + tactics for about the price of a brand new game such an awesome deal and having them all on the same system digitally is awesome.

16BitGeek
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I wish I had a PS3 or Vita right now, I'd love to have all those for so cheap...

rudy06
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Well as an update, I've actually had a little bit of time to play. I am around 3 hours in. My only complaint so far is being forced into a party which only has single target attacks.

[spoiler:3uwxhec5]A.k.a. I really wish I had Edgar. =D I am currently at the Phantom Train with Sabin, Cyan, and Shadow and all of these weak enemies are just time consuming; not difficult. Ready to drop the pain on the train! :fail:[/spoiler:3uwxhec5]
I'm definitely getting hit by some nostalgia. Not necessarily for this game in particular, but for this type of tongue-in-cheek humor. Even the humorous animations remind me of the charm of older games.

That's all for now.

WolfAmadeus
02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I was just wondering when we can start suggesting games for March. I think you said starting on February 10th, but I haven't seen any suggestions yet so I was unsure.

DwarfInASuit
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Yep, starting yesterday you guys can now start suggesting games we play in March 2013! Sorry I didn't remind you, I was busy all day yesterday, but don't let my laziness stop you guys from suggesting what we should play in March!

My nomination goes to Antichamber (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890/) for the PC.

gendarmeofficer
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Might I suggest Knights of the Old Republic for March's GotM?

WolfAmadeus
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Alright then! I suggest The Cave for March. It's for WiiU, PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

DwarfInASuit
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Sorry folks, I've been loaded with Homework so I couldn't post possible discussion questions on the 15th, so I might as well do it now!

We've been playing Final Fantasy VI for the past month, so here's some potential things to keep in mind on discussion day this Friday

It's an open discussion
Expect me to post this every month, because it's true. We're allowed to say anything about Final Fantasy VI. Post about what you though about it, what you liked and disliked because of it, whether you think it's great or it's a pile of crap. Say anything as long as you leave room for discussion. Posts like:

I played Final Fantasy VI lol
or

I didn't play FFVI but I did play FFVII which is the same game but an extra I
don't make for good discussion. The first post doesn't do a thing that could start a discussion and the second one is derailing the subject to a different game. Avoid making posts like these at all costs.

Instead, think about posting something like:

I like Final Fantasy VI because of these reasons: (Enter reasons here). What did you guys think?
or

I was really surprised at this point in the game and I liked this character the most and I had the most fun here. What about the rest of you?
These examples give more room for discussion. While you don't need to ask a question necessarily, it's a good idea to talk about what you liked and disliked from the game and go into detail. It gives more room for us to talk more about the game. So if you don't answer any of the potential questions below, try and just say what you really liked about the game.

If you do have a hard time posting, here are some potential questions that you can answer to hopefully get you started:
1. (HINT: Answering any of these will probably make for the best discussion!) Honestly, what did you think about the Final Fantasy VI? It's a game well known for it's interesting characters, fantastic story, wonderful visuals and music, and great RPG combat. Do you believe any of these statements? If so, why? Or why not?
- If anything, Final Fantasy VI is best known for its protagonists, and its villain. What do you think about these characters? Did you enjoy their conversations? Do you have a favorite? Did you end up hating a character?
- What did you think about the story? Is it a good story or a bad one? Were you on the edge of your seat playing this game, or did it bore you?
- One praise towards Final Fantasy VI is its music. Did you enjoy it? Or did you turn your volume down?
- The Final Fantasy series is the premier JRPG, and most people think Final Fantasy VI is the pinacle of the series' combat. How do you feel about the gameplay? Were you challenged? Did you have fun playing the game? Or were to trying to avoid battles at any and all costs?
2. Fans of the series will almost always say that Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy game. Many other people place this game as their favorite game of all time. If you've played any other Final Fantasy games, do you think they compare to Final Fantasy VI? Or do you think there are better games? (Note: Even if you think another Final Fantasy game is better than VI, try and keep discussion centered around VI even if you want to talk about why you think another game is better.)

These questions are suggestions to help with the discussion. There is no need to answer any of these questions if you don't feel like you need to. If you're having a hard time writing something, go ahead and answer, they might help get the ball rolling!

You guys can start discussion whenever you want on the 22nd. Just follow rules and have fun with it guys!

One last thing, some people may have not finished the game yet by discussion day, which is completely fine. So for the sake of these people, please use spoiler tags, like these, when talking about events involving characters and the story.
[spoiler:jss07z2e]http://i.imgur.com/ECiL96G.gif[/spoiler:jss07z2e]

One more last thing, is that the 23rd will be the day we can start voting for March's Game of the Month. So far we've received 3 suggestions, but if you have your own, post it as a response before the 23rd! The only way we can talk about your favorite game is for you to suggest it! Here's the current list:
* Antichamber
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
* The Cave

You have until the 23rd to leave a suggestion and we vote for March's Game of the Month of the 23rd. We'll do it the same way as last time. Leave a response as your vote, and the one with the most votes win. If there's a tie, then there will be a tie-breaker vote. If there's a tie in the tie-breaker, then I'll personally decide the Game of the Month. March 1st will be the day I let everyone know what game we'll be playing and the day we discuss. Rinse and repeat until the heat death of the universe.

That's all, hopefully I'll read some good discussion on the 22nd, and hopefully you'll post some good discussion as well _spy_

DwarfInASuit
02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll start you guys off with one question:

[spoiler:15k4c084]Did you wait for Shadow? And if you didn't, what's wrong with you? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_dJHLsuPM)[/spoiler:15k4c084]

gendarmeofficer
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I'll start you guys off with one question:

[spoiler:2px8twew]Did you wait for Shadow? And if you didn't, what's wrong with you? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_dJHLsuPM)[/spoiler:2px8twew]

[spoiler:2px8twew]I did not, i don't think. Then again though, I don't think I made it that far into the game. I'm only at the Floating Continent right now.[/spoiler:2px8twew]

Anyways, I'm finding the game to be good so far, though I can't say I really enjoy the battle system. I don't really like the whole wait until a meter fills up before you can attack method of choosing turns, if only because it feels kinda slow to me. Also, maybe it's just me, but I seem to have a bit of trouble with common enemies as I go farther into the game, yet the bosses are comparatively easy for me. Am I just weird, or is there an actual reason for this?

DwarfInASuit
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Look at me, breaking my own rules, well I'll spill my thoughts on the game.

I'm not super big into JRPG's, mostly because I get to a point, start grinding, get bored, come back a few days later, get interested, repeat until my boredom peaks and I stop playing the game. The only exception to it so far has been Persona 4, but we're here to talk about Final Fantasy VI.

The game captivated me in a way I thought JRPG's were unable to. From the beginning cutscene (And the music accompanied with it, which is by the way, astounding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ).) to halfway through the game, I found myself actually engaged with the game, and I think the most powerful thing that kept me hooked was the characters.

I never skipped a single sentence of dialogue during my time with Final Fantasy VI, and I always tried to do more with all the characters I had in my team. I found myself interested in what a character like Locke or Sabin had to say, and of course, I always read Kefka's lines. They were genuinely interesting characters, and their distinct personalities even carried into battle, which is weird to say. But I loved how each character had something completely unique to do in a fight, which made a ton of the fights fresh and interesting.

Although I'm on a completely different boat gen. I was having troubles fighting the bosses, and found the enemies to be super easy.
[spoiler:ds2n8sb8]In my version of the game, using the Sound Blaster would always confuse enemies. I'm not saying I'm lucky, I'm literally saying that 100% of the time, a normal enemy would get confused by the Sound Blaster. So I spammed that a lot of found a ton of the enemy encounters really easy.[/spoiler:ds2n8sb8]
Also if you find the battles slow due to you waiting for the bar to fill up, I believe there is an option in the options menu that lets you change it to a turn-based mode. I never touched it because I do enjoy the battles, but it's just something to keep in mind.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but it's definitely high on my "Games To Finish" List, so I might pop back in before March's discussion after I've progressed further. _spy_

untuxable
02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
It's been a while since I really played the game, but I did go back through a few portions of the game to refresh my memory.

FFVI is the only Final Fantasy game that I've really gotten into. Granted, I've only ever played a bit of 9 and the intro to 7, so I guess that's not really saying much. That being said, the game has a fantastic, character-driven story that's boosted by genuinely interesting dialouge and kick-butt music that fits perfectly with the visuals, which were noticeably impressive for the time.

No character seemed shallow or unnecessary, and although some were better than others, it's not like there was an obviously superior party combination. I was very impressed that the developers could pull that off considering the large number of party members. I personally liked Sabin, Edgar/Terra, and Shadow/Celes, although I do remember using every character at some point.

As far as the battle system, it was pretty much the standard FF style, but with several interesting twists. Every character had a very unique style, from Sabin's martial arts techniques that required specific arrow sequences to Cyan's sword abilities that had a separate charge bar. I also liked how each character had a good amount of backstory and reason for joining the party (save Mog and the yeti perhaps), something Square Enix has proven themselves to be good at.

All in all, I love the game, Kefka's laugh is amazing, and Aurablast FTW.

gendarmeofficer
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh hey, we can start voting on the next GotM. Two days ago in fact.

Anyways, I gotta stick with what I nominated and vote for KotOR.

Anyways, now that that's out of the way, I gotta say I agree with you guys regarding the characters. It is pretty cool that despite having a number of playable characters, each one if their own person, with their own personality and as untux said, their own fighting style. It really helps make not only the characters, but the entire setting seem a bit more alive that each character has their own story, and that the entire plot isn't revolving around a bunch of people all following one person for whatever reason, but instead is about a group of people from different backgrounds all coming together and uniting against a larger foe.

untuxable
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I'll vote for KOTOR as well, as it's the only one I actually own.

AnythingButAwesome
02-26-2013, 08:57 AM
I vote for Bioshock because they are giving that game away like candy right now and I'm probably about to play it anyways. And it isn't all that long of a game.

Final Fantasy 6. Probably what I liked the most about the game was the variety of settings and plot devices. Honestly I wasn't too big on the individual characters' stories; they didn't keep me captivated. Not like they would when I was a kid. I kind of have a hard time with RPG games nowadays because they are so slow burning and lack the activeness I crave from video games. This game does have an active battle system, but that only helps a little.

rudy06
02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Woohoo! Finally a chance to post!

[spoiler:375xqbev]
In my version of the game, using the Sound Blaster would always confuse enemies. I'm not saying I'm lucky, I'm literally saying that 100% of the time, a normal enemy would get confused by the Sound Blaster. So I spammed that a lot of found a ton of the enemy encounters really easy.

Yup! This is how it is. Any time where I knew I couldn't kill all normal enemies quickly I used Noiseblaster to mitigate most of the damage I should have received. This is great for weaker parties.

Other than that, I haven't had the chance to play as much as I would have liked. I just recruited Mog after getting Terra back (WOB).

The battles have been super easy. More or less every battle is Autocrossbow + Fire Dance. That seems to take care of 99% of enemies.

The dual crane battle was laughable. Edgar more or less destroyed one by himself in less than two turns while Sabin with Bolt 2 and the others killed the other one.[/spoiler:375xqbev]

The characters themselves are what have kept me playing the game. There have been points that I found extremely tiring, gameplay wise, and cannot wait to get the [spoiler:375xqbev]moogle charm[/spoiler:375xqbev] later in the game. I have played through the majority of the game numerous times (never completed) so much of this is familiar. However, I still enjoy reading everyone's backstory.

[spoiler:375xqbev]Edgar and Sabin - Edgar using the trick coin when deciding who would rule.
Locke - Everything. XD[/spoiler:375xqbev]

That's just some of the things I picked out. My one question is if anyone is actually running/ran into issues with difficulty? If so, where?

WolfAmadeus
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I vote for The Cave because it is the one I suggested and it's the only game on the list that I own.

Now to give my thoughts on FF6. For someone who has never played a FF game, I am really liking FF 6. Once I started playing, I was already in love with the music. The music sounded like a live orchestra playing in my bedroom. I would sometimes pause the game on purpose just to hear the amazing music. As for the characters, there was not one that I disliked but my favorite had to be Sabin. He had the best moves in the game and was the most effective character during boss battles. As for the gameplay, I found the game to be challenging, but not too difficult. The boss battles were pretty tough but once I figured out a proper strategy, I had no trouble at all. The normal battles were hard but I didn't have any trouble with them either, though I only did them when I needed more GP or when I wanted a character to level up. Other than that, I would just run away from battles. As for the story, I thought FF 6 had an amazing story. We got to learn about each character instead of just one main character.
Overall, I think FF 6 is a great RPG and I really enjoyed playing it.

Futondean
02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
This will be my first time posting in this post but I would like to vote for Klonoa: Door to Phantomille.

WolfAmadeus
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM
I don't think that game is on the list. The list of the games we can vote for are Antichamber, The Cave and Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic.

AnythingButAwesome
02-27-2013, 12:57 AM
I think that was just a list of suggestions. We can vote for whatever games we want.

gendarmeofficer
02-27-2013, 01:32 AM
No, only games that have been nominated can be voted for. Otherwise everybody would be picking different games and none of them would have more than one vote.

AnythingButAwesome
02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
This is complicated. What if the only game on the list you own is a 35 hour RPG game and you didn't log into the forums during submission-submission periods?

rudy06
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
This is complicated. What if the only game on the list you own is a 35 hour RPG game and you didn't log into the forums during submission-submission periods?

Personally, I don't own any of them, but I couldn't think of any games to suggest myself (didn't want to pick another RPG.) So I will be sitting this next one out. Though that doesn't mean I won't be reading what people have to say about the games. We can still have discussions on them from an outside perspective. A discussion on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic compared to other Star Wards games or even other RPGs could still be interesting. (Just an example, not a vote for that game.)

It isn't really in anyone's control if you didn't log in during the submission period (almost two weeks.) It simply means we will have to wait until next month to make our own suggestion. The only reason that I could see to choose a game outside of the suggested ones is if there wasn't a game with more than one vote. (All had 1 or 0).

AnythingButAwesome
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
But I thought those were suggested games, the keyword there being "suggested" which goes against the voting list being mandatory to vote from.

The main reason I think this is because in the second post Dwarf says that if no one suggests a game for February then he will suggest one. In the first post he states that we suggest games we want to play to vote on. This implies that we would still vote even if the list had one game in it, unless he meant that he would select a game.

But I mean if suggestions have to be put in before the date to be voted for that's fine.

DwarfInASuit
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
But I mean if suggestions have to be put in before the date to be voted for that's fine.

That's the rules. If you want to play a game for a month, you need to suggest it before a certain date. If you don't suggest it, we can't vote on it. I do this to narrow down the voting process, and to help avoid a situation like right now where there are 4 votes for 4 different games and only 2 of those votes are games that were suggested, while 2 other games came out of nowhere and no one knows what to do or say about them.

If we get a list of suggestions before we vote, then we know what games we can potentially buy or potentially own already. We can prepare and decide whether we want to or don't want to take part in that months discussion.

If we don't get a list of suggestion before we vote, then votes are all over the place and no one knows what game to vote for because it suddenly appeared.

While yes, they're suggestions, they're also semi-mandatory. The suggested games are the only games you can vote on, but you don't need to vote on them if you don't want to.

Yes and an exception to this, but only in the rare case that no one suggests a game for the month, at which point I then choose the game of the month. That's the only "power" that I have in the club, other than the fact that I control the voting. I still suggest and vote for games just the same as you guys do if this case is not met.

And I mean no offense by this, but if you're unable to log on and suggest a game you think we should play, or if you're unable to log on and vote for that game, that is not my problem. There are other people here who want to play different games, no matter how long or difficult they may be, so they may want to play games that you don't want to. Ideally I want everyone to be satisfied with the club, even though I know that I can't make that happen due to the fact that this forum consists of many different types of people with different tastes in games. It all comes down to this: If you want to play it, take some time to suggest it and vote for it. If you don't want to play it, don't vote for it. I don't mean any offense to anyone, but if you're not satisfied with everyone else's decision for our game of the month, then there's nothing I can do to please you without disappointing everyone else.

I'll be sure to edit my first post in order to better clarify these rules, so we can avoid confusion in the future.

Now usually on the 1st I'll tell you what our game of the month is. But since we were having trouble voting, I'm going to recall the vote and a week from now, the 8th, will be the day I announce our game of the month. Since we're starting later, our discussion day will be later, probably around the end of the month instead of the middle of the month. I'll announce our discussion day on the 8th.

The 9th will be the first day you can suggest games we vote on. The day after discussion will be the day we vote for those suggested games, and those games only. Votes for any other games will be disqualified.

Since we're confused about the voting, I'll add every game not suggested to the suggestion list. Voting starts right now and ends the 8th. Get your votes in as soon as possible. I'm currently counting every previous vote made and assuming that you will stick with your previous decision. If you want to change your vote, then leave a response. Here are the games we can vote for
1. Antichamber
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. The Cave
4. Bioshock
5. Klonoa: Door to Phantomille

I'm going to vote for Antichamber.

jdtwins2009
03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to decide on The Cave or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I think I'll vote for............ The Cave

Futondean
03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Klonoa for me.

GrimsChild
03-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Antichamber

DwarfInASuit
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Since I counted previous votes (As I said I would last week), we have a 4-way tie! So it's time for a tie-breaker vote to see what game we play for the end of March!

All previous votes are removed in a tie-breaker vote, so you're free to change your vote to a different game based on how much time we have to play these games.

Here are the games you can vote for:
1. Antichamber
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. The Cave
4. Klonoa: Door to Phantomille

I'm changing my vote to Klonoa.

Since we have the marathon this weekend, I'll cut you a break and you can submit your vote for the tie-breaker before the 15th. Remember, if we have another tie then I personally will choose the game we play for March.

Also, since we've been voting on games for half the month of March, I'm going to change some things about the voting process this month and only this month. But to understand these changes, first you need to know the dates of what's happening this month.

I announce March's Game of the Month on March 15th.
You can start suggesting games for April's Game of the Month starting March 16th.
We vote for those suggested games starting March 23rd.
We discuss March's Game of the Month on the 30th.
I'll announce April's Game of the Month on April 1st (Because of this, I want to see some good "joke" games suggested _spy_ )

So usually we vote for the next months game the day after our discussion. But since we're behind, we're going to do it before we discuss March's game of the month.

Also since we're behind, I'm going to give us more time to play the game of the month. We have 15 days, which is not a whole lot of time, but hopefully these problems should be fixed next month, so we can have more time.

Get in your votes, think of some suggestions, I'm sorry for the mess this month, but we should fix it next month. Later gaters _spy_

gendarmeofficer
03-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm going to stick with KotOR for my vote.

GrimsChild
03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Antichamber

WolfAmadeus
03-09-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm going to change my vote to Klonoa as well.

TheSecretStaraptor
03-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Antichamber.

untuxable
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
KOTOR

Maybe this time I can actually finish it.

DwarfInASuit
03-15-2013, 11:43 AM
After another 3-Way tie between Klonoa, Antichamber, and KotOR, I'm going to personally decide what our game for March is going to be.

Keep in mind I'm making this decision based on how much time we have to play the game. Since we only have about 2 weeks to get this done, my decision will be based on the length of the game we'll be playing, and nothing else.

I only decide what our Game of the Month shall be in a situation where we still end up with a tie after a tie-breaker vote. I don't want to spend any more time trying to break the tie again, so either myself or anyone else who is running the Game of the Month personally chooses the Game of the Month. We are only allowed to choose from the games suggested, whether they made it to the Tie-Breaker Vote or if they were Original Suggestions.

Without further ado, our Game of the Month for March is:
http://i.imgur.com/DAGKYka.jpg
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Enter the land of Phantomile with Klonoa and his ring spirit, Huepow, to defeat the villanous Ghadius and his accomplice Joka.

This game is available on the Playstation Store for $6 or your regional equivalent. So feel free to pick it up on your Playstation, your Vita, your emulator, or if you have an actual copy of the game.

Like I said earlier, the only thing influencing my decision was time, with Klonoa probably taking the least amount of time to play and beat out of all the games suggested so far. While not my only reason for picking Klonoa, it was the most influential reason.

Klonoa looks like an interesting game, and I've heard a lot of praise coming from its cult following and from others. I've also heard some other things about its story that leave me very interested in beating the game, so we'll see how I feel on discussion day.

Time for Dates everyone! Put these in your calender if you want to participate in April's Game of the Month!
March 16th (Tomorrow) - First Day we can start suggesting games for April's Game of the Month
March 22nd (A week from today) - Cutoff Day for Suggested Games. If you don't suggest a game before March 22nd 12:59:59 MST, then we can't vote on it.
March 23rd - We start voting for April's Game of the Month on this day.
March 30th - Discussion Day for Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Play the game or beat it by this day if you want to talk about the game!
March 31st - Final Day to vote on games. If you don't vote before March 31st 12:59:59 MST, then your vote isn't counted.
April 1st - Either 2 things happen:
1. Based on your votes, I announce what April's Game of the Month is, and give you important dates in April. (Ignore all dates after April 1st in this post.)
2. If there's a voting tie, then we have a tie-breaker vote starting on April 1st and the following dates apply
April 8th - I announce the winner of the tie-breaker vote and April's Game of the Month, or if there's still a tie after the tie-breaker vote I announce my personal decision for April's Game of the Month.

Happy gaming everyone, good luck, and be back tomorrow to start suggesting games for April's Game of the Month!

WolfAmadeus
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Awesome I can't wait to play this game, but I have a question. Does the Wii version of Klonoa count or does it have to be the original Klonoa?

DwarfInASuit
03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Awesome I can't wait to play this game, but I have a question. Does the Wii version of Klonoa count or does it have to be the original Klonoa?

As long as it's a game titled "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile" then you can play it all you want. I think there are other games in the Klonoa "franchise" but remember that our official game of the month is Door to Phantomile.

I'm still tossing around the idea that you can play any game from a Game of the Month's franchise, and would be interested in hearing what you guys think about that idea. But to keep it safe this month, we're only discussing Door to Phantomile

Amaterasu
03-15-2013, 01:05 PM

As long as it's a game titled "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile" then you can play it all you want. I think there are other games in the Klonoa "franchise" but remember that our official game of the month is Door to Phantomile.

I'm still tossing around the idea that you can play any game from a Game of the Month's franchise, and would be interested in hearing what you guys think about that idea. But to keep it safe this month, we're only discussing Door to Phantomile

The Wii version isn't called that (it's just Klonoa), but to my knowledge; it's a remake of the PS1 game.

Also; yay, Klonoa got picked. That was the only game that I could get this month, since I would like to be able to buy myself a 360 by the end of the month. As long as you don't mind a new guy, I think I'll be joining this month. Only if that's alright, of course.

WolfAmadeus
03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes it's a remake of Door To Phantomile but does it still count even if it's a remake? I'm just asking because I own the game and it would save the trouble of having to buy the original for $6.

DwarfInASuit
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes it's a remake of Door To Phantomile but does it still count even if it's a remake? I'm just asking because I own the game and it would save the trouble of having to buy the original for $6.

If it's the same game as the one we're playing, then it's 100% fine.

Also; yay, Klonoa got picked. That was the only game that I could get this month, since I would like to be able to buy myself a 360 by the end of the month. As long as you don't mind a new guy, I think I'll be joining this month. Only if that's alright, of course.

Anyone can join at anytime my friend.

Amaterasu
03-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Anyone can join at anytime my friend.

Sweet. I think this sounds like a cool idea, so I'm hoping my wallet will let me participate frequently. :)

Oh, and today's the 16th, which means I can suggest a game for next month, right? I'm suggesting Metroid Prime for Gamecube/Wii.

gendarmeofficer
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Oh right, we can start suggesting games now. And since you said you wanted joke ideas for the month of April, I nominate Battletoads for the month of April.

DwarfInASuit
03-16-2013, 08:05 PM
My suggestion is Omikron: The Nomad Soul (http://www.gog.com/gamecard/omikron_the_nomad_soul), said to be one of the most wildly insane games of all time. Also it has David Bowie. David Bowie. Think about that for a second. Let me say it again: DAVID. BOWIE.

WolfAmadeus
03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
I'll suggest Learning with the Pooyoos Episode 1. It's a fun and educational game :lol:

GrimsChild
03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Antichamber

untuxable
03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Joke Games? Methinks The Pink Panther: Pinkadelic Pursuit for the GBA, or Mad Maestro for the PS2.

If I can only suggest one, then Pink Panther, cuz I don't actually own Mad Maestro anymore.

TheSecretStaraptor
03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
I would like to suggest Color a Dinosaur for the NES.

DwarfInASuit
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Today's the last day to get in your suggestion for April's Game of the Month! We've had some [strike:1oxgacmq]terrible[/strike:1oxgacmq] hilarious suggestions so far, so if none of them catch your interest, then suggest your own! We start voting tomorrow.

jdtwins2009
03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm going to suggest Tomb Raider (new one)

kmmgreen5
03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
I suggest "gunman clive" or "kersploosh"

DwarfInASuit
03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
It's time to vote, and do we have a big pool of suggestions you can vote for! Some of these games are a bit obscure do I did my best to try and do a bit of research on each game, and maybe even include a video or two. After researching all these games, I think that we're never going to have a joke game of the month ever again. So choose wisely for April's Game of the Month!

1. Metroid Prime (Gamecube, Wii)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]A First-Person Shooter set in the Metroid universe. It combines the modern FPS with the massive dungeons, multiple upgrades and collectibles, and the backtracking that Metroid is known for.

Here's a video done by The Completionist on Metroid Prime. Beware: There are spoilers at the end of the video, but The Completionist does make sure to include an annotation to a video without any spoilers when it reaches that point.
[ytube:20zrvxq6]m4RGZvfMMx4[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
2. Battletoads (NES, Emulator)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]Well known as one of the hardest, most frustrating games to ever exist, period. It plays like an old arcade beat-em-up, Turtles in Time for example, where almost everything can hurt or kill you, even your friends.

SuperJeenius, PCULL44444, NintendoCapriSun and Proton Jon, all Let's Players on Youtube, did a 4 man race where they all tried to beat Battletoads as fast as they could with infinite lives. Unless you emulate the game, you don't get infinite lives, but their videos are excellent examples of how hard the game is. They swear a lot, and they play the entire game, so you will get spoiled, but it's a perfect example of what you might be getting into.
[ytube:20zrvxq6]pERNUuCRdJ8[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
3. Omikron: The Nomad's Soul (PC)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]"Responding to the desperate pleas of a mysterious character from another dimension, your soul must enter the dark and futuristic city of Omikron. This is but the beginning of an epic adventure through an increasingly strange and dazzling parallel world. You must solve the ultimate mystery: why are you in Omikron and how can you get out? Think, fight, and interact with awe-inspiring environments to defeat the menacing demons that are trying to stop you. Experience the life in an alternate reality with everything it has to offer--including the secret musical performances by The Dreamers, a band of rebels led by the Omikronian incarnation of David Bowie.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul is a futuristic 3d-action adventure like no other. Combining a deep game plot with adventure, exploration, action, combat and role-playing elements, the Omikron experience will captivate you from the moment you enter the strange and wonderful world beyond our own. Only using all of your combined skills will bring you deliverance from this exotic dimension."
[ytube:20zrvxq6]FiodKBLDpys[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
4. Learning with the Pooyoos Episode 1 (Wii)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]"Welcome to the world of PooYoos, a fun-packed and poetic brain trainer for three to six-year-olds."

[ytube:20zrvxq6]guFAAyh48mA[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
5. Antichamber (PC)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]Antichamber is a puzzle game unlike any other. Following the design set by Portal, you're put in a first person perspective, and you travel from room to room trying to solve the puzzles inside. However the puzzles aren't as obvious as they seem. This is a game where you need to think outside the box, because not every puzzle has an obvious answer. It's a game that will twist your persepctive, test your knowledge, and will confuse you more than anything ever has.

GiantBomb covered this game very well. Here's a link to their Quick Look video, where they play 40 minutes of the game, so there are puzzle spoilers. If you want to know what they really thought about it, click here to read their review of Antichamber. (http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/antichamber-review/1900-557/)
[ytube:20zrvxq6]mumruAUjfcM[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
6. The Pink Panther: Pinkadelic Pursuit (GBA)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]Oh no, you're actually thinking of voting for this game? Er, I mean, The Pink Panther is...alright guys, I've failed you. I literally cannot find any reviews, any descriptions, any videos that aren't in Slovene on The Pink Panther: Pinkadelic Pursuit.

From what I managed to scrap off the floor and piece together, it's a platformer where you play as The Pink Panther. That's it. Sorry guys, but you're going to need to vote on this if you want to know any more.[/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
7. Color A Dinosaur (NES)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]An electronic coloring book game for the NES. You're given various dinosaur images, and you color them in using a selection of about 4 colors. You're also given various patterns to enchance your dinosaur coloring experience.

Somehow there are more videos on Color a Dinosaur than there are on The Pink Panther. AwesomeGamesDoneQuick, a speed running charity group, did a "Speedrun" of Color of Dinosaur awhile back. It pretty much spoils the entire game, so if you want to have a pure dinosaur coloring experience, beware.
[ytube:20zrvxq6]4feIpb7RE90[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]
8. Tomb Raider (PC, 360, PS3)
[spoiler:20zrvxq6]The origin-story of one of gaming's most known heroines, Lara Croft, Tomb Raider takes place before Lara was a tomb raiding, dinosaur fighting, bad@$$. Instead you play as Lara, who at this time is more timid and not so confident, and you control her through treacherous environments, enemy basses, and even the occasional tomb.

AngryJoeShow did a review on Tomb Raider. Keep in mind, AngryJoeShow is more for mature audiences, but if you can get past that, then they're probably the best video reviews on the internet at this point. Here's his review on Tomb Raider, where hopefully you can learn some things about the game, and see if it's a good idea to vote on it or not.
[ytube:20zrvxq6]a3d3LunXDkw[/ytube:20zrvxq6][/spoiler:20zrvxq6]

My vote this month goes to Antichamber.

untuxable
03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
The Pink Panther game is basically what you said it was, a 2-D platformer where you play as the Pink Panther. All of the levels are based off of the cartoon shorts that played back in the day, although there doesn't seem to be much of a story linking them together. You go from the moon to a spaceship to a forest, then underwater, then ancient Rome, then another forest, and then I don't remember. You get a variety of items that you can use, such as spray paint, a bowling ball, etc. that you can use to defeat enemies and/or just make them angry. There are no instructions, no dialogue, and there are parts of the story where you kind of need instruction since most levels have a goal other than "get to the end." It also has debilitating frame-rate issues.

Basically, it's terrible, and amazon has it used for about $5.

WolfAmadeus
03-23-2013, 11:52 AM
I vote for Color A Dinosaur because I've always wanted to color a dinosaur :)

Also I just wanted to let you know that Learning With The Pooyoos is also available for the PS3.

Amaterasu
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
My vote will be for Battletoads.

gendarmeofficer
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
As much as I want to vote for Metroid Prime, seeing as I own the game, I feel that if I don't stick behind my nomination I would be a terrible person. Well, moreso than I already am. Anyways, voting Battletoads so that I can feel marginally less like a bad guy.

TheSecretStaraptor
03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
My vote goes towards Color a Dinosaur.

GrimsChild
03-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Antichamber

Futondean
03-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Battletoads

AnythingButAwesome
03-26-2013, 01:17 AM
I vote Battletoads. Did you know that the game has warps? I won't tell you where though.

I think this game probably isn't as difficult as people say it is since it is a memorization game.

DwarfInASuit
03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Just a reminder everyone: Our discussion day for Klonoa is tomorrow! Try and wrap up your games, but don't forget to have fun doing it. I'll start off the discussion tomorrow with the usual list of potential questions, and my own opinion on Klonoa.

Also you guys have until March 31st 12:59:59 MST to get in your vote for April's Game of the Month! I'll announce the winner on April 1st, and then we go from there.

Have fun, I'll see you all tomorrow _spy_

DwarfInASuit
03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Happy Late-Discussion Day everyone! Sorry this is going up in the evening rather than the morning, but I've been around all day, so I couldn't set aside a lot of time to post.

Anyways, we're here to talk about Klonoa: Door to Phantomile! Maybe you beat the game, maybe you didn't! Hopefully you at least played it. If you did, great, then let us know what you thought about it! Having trouble posting? Here are some things to help you out:

It's an open discussion, meaning you are allowed to say anything about our game of the month. That doesn't mean there aren't rules though. Posts like:

I played Klonoa lol
or

I didn't play Klonoa, but did anyone play Bioshock: Infinite? I heard it's so good.
Are not allowed. The first adds nothing to the discussion, and the second derails the topic from our game of the month to something completely different. I'm not saying your opinion is bad, I'm just saying that if you phrase your post like one of the above, it doesn't have a place in our discussion.

Instead, think of making a post like:

I played Klonoa, and thought this about the game: *insert thoughts here.* What did you guys thinks?
or

I really liked Klonoa because of *list reasons here.*
Of course, adding your own personal opinion. Both of these give room for discussion, which is the entire point of the club. You don't need to phrase your post exactly like one of the above, but keep in mind the disciplines behind them.

Are you still having trouble? Consider answering one or more of the questions below:
1. What did you think about Klonoa? It's definitely very different from many games we get today. How do you feel about that aspect? Did you enjoy playing it, even though it didn't really age well? Or were you bored by old-fashioned game design? Do you think it's old fashioned? Do you think a Klonoa game can be made today? Why or why not?
2. Did you have fun playing Klonoa? It's a simple game, but do you think that works? Were you bored to tears by Klonoa? Or did the game keep you on the edge of your seat?

One last thing to keep in mind are spoiler tags:
[spoiler:3aineicz]http://i.imgur.com/k3Tm1RG.gif[/spoiler:3aineicz]
Try and use them whenever discussing any part of the story that people might be upset getting spoiled on. Think: would I get mad if this part of the game was spoiled to me? If yes: use spoiler tags. If no: go back to step #1 and if it's still a no, go ahead.

Have a good discussion everyone!

Amaterasu
03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
When I first started playing Klonoa, I was unsure of whether I would like it or not. The 2.5D platformer thing took a bit of getting used to for me, but after completing Vision 1-2, I was all set with that. In the end, aside from a few rage issues that I'll get to in a second, I ended up enjoying this game quite a bit. The "grabbing an enemy to double jump or attack" feature is something that I haven't seen before, and I thought it was cool and unique.

I found the game to be somewhat difficult. Is this just me and my horrible skills when playing 2D platformers, or did other people find this game to be a bit hard? Like, Visions 5-2 and 6-2 were absolute torture for me. I got a few game overs on the boss, and had to redo the whole stage again. And on a different note; I found the final boss to be pathetically easy. I only lost a life or two trying to figure out how to beat him, compared to a few game overs from the previous bosses.

Futondean
03-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Sadly I did not get to finish Klonoa due to being very busy lately but, I did get to play some it. I found Klonoa to be a fun game and it makes me miss the old platformers from the old days. The 2.5 platforming did give me a bit of trouble in the beginning but I got use to it.

WolfAmadeus
03-31-2013, 10:55 PM
I was able to finish the game just in time, and I have to say that Klonoa is a very fun game. I did have trouble when I first started, but as I progressed further I got the hang of it. Every level was just amazing and the music was really fitting for each level. I am a huge fan of platformers and Klonoa is one of the best platformers I have played.

DwarfInASuit
04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
It's finally here, performing for you, it's April's Game of the Month! I swear you guys are going to be the end of me...

http://i.imgur.com/Ggx6xZT.jpg
Battletoads
A game famous for being difficult, frustrating, rage-inducing, and just plain hard, Battletoads is no joke. Beating Battletoads is a victory cherished by the few who managed to surmount such a trying task, due to the games high level of difficulty, and unfair gameplay. It's a game where pretty much everything can and will kill you, and everything is not an exaggeration. Walls, ropes, platforms, even your friends can kill you in Battletoads, making a Co-Op Playthrough of Battletoads even more difficult than a single-player. Battletoads is a game that does not know mercy, chances are you will lose playing Battletoads. That being said, good luck.

You guys have quite the challenge ahead of you: Attempt to beat Battletoads in the month of April. Now because Battletoads is such a difficult game, I don't want to destroy your social lives by forcing you guys to play Battletoads day after day until you beat it, so as usual, it's not required for you to beat Battletoads. Just try and get as far as you can.

Getting a copy of Battletoads might prove to be a little difficult. I'm not 100% sure if it's available on the Wii Shop, but if it is, that's probably the best place to get it. If I'm wrong and Battletoads is not on the Wii Shop, or any other platform (X-Box Live Arcade of the Playstation Store), then boot up an emulator with an emulated copy of Battletoads. But of course, if you can buy it first, please do so.

That's the month of April guys. I'll post the important dates at the end of this post, but first an announcement: Hold off on suggesting games for the month of May for now, because we might be doing something different during that month. I've still trying to get it squared away, but for now I won't be accepting any suggestions for games in the month of May. Hopefully you'll be hearing more about May's plans shortly.

That's all for now, you can keep discussing Klonoa until our discussion day for Battletoads, so until then, have fun, don't die, and I'll see you all later. _spy_

Important Dates for April 2013
Monday, April 1st (Today) - Announcement Day for April's Game of the Month
Saturday, April 20th - Discussion Day for Battletoads
Tuesday, April 30th - ????

untuxable
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
According to the all-knowing Wikipedia, Battletoads is not on any download services for consoles. That being said, it could be wrong.

AnythingButAwesome
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
From what I have observed, beating Battletoads takes ~25 hours of gameplay if you have not played it before. That is a rough estimate from only a couple of sources. Of course you might decide to quit every 30 minutes, which in that case you will never finish the game.

gendarmeofficer
04-01-2013, 11:15 PM
I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I'm going to do something crazy. I'm actually going to record myself playing through Battletoads to completion, and then I will actually post the results to Youtube for you all to see. I won't be going through every level, mind you. If I manage to find a warp in the levels, you better believe I'm going to take it and skip over the next one. Although I've already played the first 3 levels as of this post, everything after that will be sorta blind for me, in that I won't have actually played the game itself up to that point, but I will have seen a video of it, namely the race that Dwarf mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to say that it has been nice knowing you guys. I doubt I'm going to come out of this venture with my sanity intact. Or at all really.

AnythingButAwesome
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
There's not unlimited continues BTW.

DwarfInASuit
04-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Have you guys been doing your Battling? If you have, then be aware that tomorrow is our discussion day for Battletoads!

Also everything has been set in stone for the Month of May, so be prepared! We'll go back to our regular suggestions in the Month of June.

See you guys tomorrow _spy_

gendarmeofficer
04-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I managed to make it to Intruder Excluder before I stopped playing. I know I said I'd play through the entire game while recording myself, and I sitll will. But that'll be a project for later.

Anyways, to be honest, up until Intruder Excluder, I really didn't find the game to be that difficult. Granted, I might have changed my mind had I not taken the warps in Turbo Tunnel and Kinrath's Lair, but hey, less levels to play is always a good thing, right?

Amaterasu
04-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I, unfortunately, didn't play Battletoads too much this month. My best attempt was the middle of the fourth level, the name of which I forget. I decided to take the warp at the beginning, but skip the one in Turbo Tunnel. I honestly didn't find it too difficult, but that's not to say it was easy. I do want to try and beat this game, but I probably won't be trying anytime soon.

DwarfInASuit
05-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Sorry it's been quiet this past week. It's my finals week so I've been swamped with homework and haven't really had a whole lot of time to make a post, but I'll try to do so sometime next week.

As such, I'm personally going to alter the schedule a bit, if you guys don't mind.

I'll make an announcement a week from today, May 17th, on what's going to happen. Then, instead of having the Game of the Month run towards the end of May, our next ending date will be June 17th, a week before the Marathon starts. Then we go back on the month-by-month schedule starting July 2nd.

DwarfInASuit
05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
In order to generate hype for the next marathon, this "month's" Game of the Month will be Final Fantasy. Nothing but it, and a whole lot of it.

http://i.imgur.com/gh2XzdK.jpg

The way this will work is exactly the same as our first Pokemon discussion: We all play a game from the selected franchise, and discuss it. It doesn't matter what game we played, as long as it's Final Fantasy or related to Final Fantasy.

But Dwarf! Haven't we already played Final Fantasy 6?!
Yes we have, and you can play it again if you want. Or, you can choose from the dozens of other Final Fantasy games that have been released. You can choose any of the games from the main series (Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy XIV), or you can choose any of the spin-off games (Theatrhythm, Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Snowboarding)). You can pick any game you want if you're feeling burned out on RPG's.

But Dwarf! There are so many games! How do I know which one to play?!
On the main page of the Final Fantasy Wiki (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Wiki), there is a table containing every single Final Fantasy game known of. Sort through there, find what you want, and see if you want to play it!

Once you've found your game, play it to your hearts content, and try and finish it by June 17th, one week before The Speed Gamers' Final Fantasy Marathon. That will be our discussion day where we talk about what game we chose to play, what we think about it, how you think you can do better than whoever is playing your game on the stream, and such. Have fun!

Now onto the future. Because our discussion day is at such an awkward time, there technically won't be a Game of the Month for June. I don't want to start a new Game of the Month in the middle of the marathon, so there won't be a Game of the Month until July 1st. There we'll begin the cycle over again. Don't expect a whole lot of these "Title Game of the Month's" in the future, most likely we'll be playing specific games instead of any game from a series. They might come up time to time, but they're not going to be common. That being said, suggestions for July's Game of the Month will be open tomorrow, so feel free to suggest any title you'd like to play for July!

Here are some important dates for the future:
May 18th 2013 - First day to suggest games for July's Game of the Month
June 10th 2013 - Last day to suggest games for July's Game of the Month
June 11th 2013 - First day to start voting for July's Game of the Month
June 17th 2013 - Discussion Day for the Final Fantasy title you chose to play
July 1st 2013 - July's Game of the Month will be announced

pkGamerB
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd been thinking about playing through FF6 to get me ready for the marathon, so this gives me even more reason to do it. I've only ever played 4 all the way through (loved it), so I'm looking forward to this.

Amaterasu
05-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm probably going to try and play 7, since I haven't beaten it yet.

WolfAmadeus
05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Since we can start suggesting games for July's game of the month I'll suggest Earthworm Jim, the first one. It's for Virtual Console, PSN, Xbox Live, iOS and PC.

Amaterasu
05-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh that's right. My suggestion will be Metroid Prime. It's on the Gamecube and Wii.

AnythingButAwesome
05-19-2013, 10:13 PM
I wanna see some Super Mario 64 up in here.

Awww yeah. I feel like a lot of people try to go back to this game for short periods of time while being too used to more modern controls and then decide they don't like the game anymore. Maybe we could also discuss if games should be judged regardless of age like taking your 98' Nissan Altima to a car show, or if a game being old and innovative gets it a "get out of jail free" card like some sort of senior discount on jailtime where the jail is a place where they lock up games that are bad.

gendarmeofficer
05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
I'd like to suggest Earthbound as our next game of the month, since it's been released on the Wii U VC and all. I know it won't have been a recent event when it comes time to vote, but still, it's been almost 2 decades since it's seen any form of actual re-release here in the states, and it's been one of the most asked for titles since the VC was first announced for Wii. I just feel like we should honor the game for finally making a return by making it GotM.

TheSecretStaraptor
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I'll probably be playing Final Fantasy V Advance. I believe I started a playthrough about a year ago, but I haven't really touched the game since. This should be fun, as I remember the game having a good character customization system.

My suggestion for the next game of the month will be The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Amaterasu
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd like to suggest Earthbound as our next game of the month, since it's been released on the Wii U VC and all. I know it won't have been a recent event when it comes time to vote, but still, it's been almost 2 decades since it's seen any form of actual re-release here in the states, and it's been one of the most asked for titles since the VC was first announced for Wii. I just feel like we should honor the game for finally making a return by making it GotM.

Wait, Earthbound's out on the Wii U's VC now? I thought it was coming out later this year.

...Or am I misunderstanding your post?

gendarmeofficer
05-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Oh, i thought it was out already. If it isn't, then my bad.

Amaterasu
05-20-2013, 01:27 PM
It's only on Japan's Wii U VC, to my knowledge.

GrimsChild
05-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Antichamber

Antichamber

Darn three quote limit.

DwarfInASuit
06-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Whoops! Seems work has had too tight of a grip on me. We're running behind guys! Discussion day started about 5 days ago, and we could have started voting for July's game of the month 11 days ago! We need to catch up!

Here are the games you can vote for. Voting ends June 30th.
1. Earthworm Jim
2. Super Mario 64
3. Earthbound(?)
4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
5. Antichamber

My vote this month goes for Antichamber.

Next we need to talk about the Final Fantasy games we've played! I unfortunately have been working all summer, so I haven't had the time to play any. But I'm sure you guys have been able to find the time! Same rules as every time: What have you played and what do you think about it?

Amaterasu
06-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Oh crap, it's already that time? I totally forgot to play a FF.

Anyways, you didn't include the game that I suggested in there, Metroid Prime. Any particular reason why?

Edit: Either way, though, I'm voting for Super Mario 64.

gendarmeofficer
06-22-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing Earthbound has the question mark because I suggested it without realizing it's rerelease wasn't out yet. Go ahead and take it off, dwarf. Once it's finally out again, then I'll suggest it for real. In the meantime, I'm gonna vote Metroid Prime if it is a valid choice, and if it isn't, then I choose Wind Waker.

untuxable
06-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I'll vote for Metroid Prime as well, though if that isn't a legit option, I'll vote for Super Mario 64.

And I didn't play any Final Fantasies, because I don't own any of them :?

AnythingButAwesome
06-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I vote for Mario 64.

I forgot to play Final Fantasy, but I could discuss one that I watch in a couple days. =D Just kidd'n round.

GiovanniIsReal
06-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna vote for SM64. On another note, I hope that this club will inspire me to play more games.

WolfAmadeus
06-24-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm gonna vote for Earthworm Jim. This month I'll finally be able to participate again because I own most of the games on the list.

[ Post made via iPad ]

jdtwins2009
07-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm going to try participating in this more now! I'll vote for Mario 64 .

FlibberMagee
07-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I'd like to be able to take part in this now that I can, I vote Mario 64 too.

Amaterasu
07-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Voting has been done for a while, actually. It ended at the beginning of the month. If my count is right, Mario 64 won.

AnythingButAwesome
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Well I started on the game. I'm playing the DS version and am at 20 stars.

Amaterasu
07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
I've had the N64 version of the game beaten for a couple of days now.

DwarfInASuit
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Worry not ladles and gentlepans, I'm still alive. Barely. I've had so much work recently I haven't been able to do anything without it taking up the rest of the free-time I have. Sorry bout that _spy_

Thanks for counting guys: Mario 64 is the winner this month, so you guys have until the 27th to play and/or beat Mario 64.

You can also start suggesting games for August's Game of the Month starting right now. The last day you can suggest a game is on July 20th. We start voting on July 21st, and the game will be announced on August 1st.

So the dates to keep in mind are:
July 10th, 2013 - First day to suggest games for August's GotM
July 20th, 2013 - Last day to suggest games for August's GotM
July 21st, 2013 - First day to vote for August's GotM
July 27th, 2013 - Discussion day for Mario 64
August 1st, 2013 - Announcement day for August's GotM

I'll still be working well into August and for the first few weeks of September, so I apologize for not being able to attend or show up for anything between those times.

Amaterasu
07-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I will, once again, suggest Metroid Prime.

gendarmeofficer
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I'd like to propose Psychonauts for August.

GrimsChild
07-11-2013, 03:59 PM
rebmahcitnA

jdtwins2009
07-16-2013, 08:22 PM
I'll suggest Hotline Miami, it seems like a crazy game from what I've seen so far!

TheGuyWithKnowName
07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Well I own all the games already suggested, so i'm cool with any.

Hotline Miami and Psychonauts are easier to obtain legally, so i'd probably vote for one of those.

AnythingButAwesome
07-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I would like to suggest Oregon Trail. This will include any version; luckily the DOS version is abandonware and easy to download. There is also a web adaption at http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/westward/ if you are in too much of a hurry or can't be bothered to emulate DOS.

WolfAmadeus
07-21-2013, 07:56 PM
aw man I missed the deadline for suggesting August's GOTM. Oh well, I can wait until September to suggest a game. And I better hurry up and play Mario 64 before discussion day. I think I'll be able to beat it in a week.

Amaterasu
07-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Oh hey, we can vote for August's GotM now. I vote for Metroid Prime.

GrimsChild
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
A
N
T
I
C
H
A
M
B
E
R

WolfAmadeus
07-23-2013, 11:56 PM
I'll vote for oregon trail since it was one of my favorite PC games when I was a kid.

FlibberMagee
07-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I'll say Metroid Prime this month.

WolfAmadeus
09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm just wondering if game of the month club is still going to continue because there hasn't been a new game since July and I was really hoping to participate in this again because it's been really fun.

Amaterasu
09-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Oh wow, it's been that long? Jeez, I totally forgot about this. :(

DwarfInASuit
10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I too completely forgot about the club. My excuse is that I was too overwhelmed with work during the summer that I couldn't get anything organized, let alone put any time aside to play any games. It's a bad excuse, and it's just an excuse, and I'm not justified in making it. I'm sorry about ignoring the club, and I'll certainly be sure to make sure it doesn't happen again. The only thing I can think of in order to make up is, well, to continue from where we left off.

So since it's been so long let's recap: We left off voting and leaving suggestions for the next Game of the Month. Since that was back in July, I say we clean the slate somewhat and start off fresh. Now what that means is this: you can now start suggesting games for October's Game of the Month, and November's Game of the Month.

But Dwarf, it's already October 1st! Why is there a Game of the Month for October?
I'll explain: it's going to be a miniature Game of the Month because we passed any deadline there might have been last night. So instead of there being a full month to play a video game, we're only going to have a week or two. Meaning the suggestions are going to need to be fairly short games that you can play and finish in <6-10 hours. Suggestions for these games start right now, and go until the end of the week (October 5th). We'll vote for these games during the weekend (October 5th - October 7th) and the winning game will be the Game of the Month for October.

Here are the important dates for October's Game of the Month:
October 1st, 2013 - First day to suggest games for October's miniature Game of the Month
Note: Because of time restraints, it would be great if we could suggest shorter games please.
October 5th, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Last chance to suggest games for October's miniature Game of the Month
October 6th, 2013 at 12:00.00 AM through October 7th, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Voting period for October's miniature Game of the Month
October 7th, 2013 - Announcement of October's miniature Game of the Month
October 24th, 2013 - First discussion day for October's miniature Game of the Month

I'm sorry if this is feeling very rushed, it's entirely my fault, and we shouldn't be caught in a situation like this again.

Now for November's Game of the Month. That will work exactly the same as ever. Starting right now, you can suggest games for November. Because we're not condensing this into a few weeks, you're free to suggest any game you want.

Here are important dates for November's Game of the Month:
October 1st, 2013 - First day to suggest games for November's Game of the Month
October 18th, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Last chance to suggest games for November's Game of the Month
October 18th, 2013 at 12:00.00 AM through October 31st, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Voting period for November's Game of the Month
November 1st, 2013 - Announcement of November's Game of the Month

One last thing, I'd like for any suggestions to make the difference clear between what their suggestion is for October's Game of the Month and November's Game of the Month. Just to avoid confusion _spy_

That wraps up everything for now. Sorry about that very long hiatus once again, but we're set to get back on track. I might not be around very often to post, but I'll try my best to make announcements on the day of the deadline. If you have questions, feel free to ask, and I'll see you all around.

DwarfInASuit
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
October: Terraria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/)
November: Antichamber (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890/?snr=1_7_15__13)

P.S. You're allowed to suggest for the same game for both months, but if the game wins October's Game of the Month, then it's taken out of the pool for November's Game of the Month.

Amaterasu
10-01-2013, 10:21 AM
October's GotM suggestion: VVVVVV (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/)
November's GotM suggestion: Ys: The Oath in Felghana (http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/?snr=1_7_15__13)

pkGamerB
10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
October: Bastion, since I've recently been trying to get people to play it anyway, and it'll give me a reason to tackle New Game plus.

November: inFAMOUS, since people's playthroughs will differ based on the choices they make in game.

WolfAmadeus
10-02-2013, 12:11 AM
October: Ducktales Remastered. It's available for all home consoles and it doesn't cost that much.
November: Earthworm Jim. It's also available for all home consoles and pretty cheap too.

DwarfInASuit
10-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Alright guys, you have today and tomorrow to vote for October's Miniature Game of the Month! Here are the nominations:
1. Terraria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/?snr=1_7_15__13)
2. VVVVVV (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/?snr=1_7_15__13)
3. Bastion (http://store.steampowered.com/app/107100/?snr=1_7_15__13)
4. Ducktales Remastered (http://store.steampowered.com/app/237630/?snr=1_7_15__13)
*Note: Even though I linked the Steam pages for these games, if you can get them for other systems, that's more than fine. In fact, I suggest it.

Voting ends tomorrow night for these 4 games! My vote goes for VVVVVV.

On a similar note: suggestions for November's Game of the Month is still going on. The last date for that is October 18th.

That's the news for now. Thanks for sticking around folks _spy_

Amaterasu
10-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I'll vote for VVVVVV.

pkGamerB
10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Tough call between Bastion and VVVVVV, but I'll go with Bastion since I nominated it.

jdtwins2009
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Both are awesome but I vote Bastion.

DwarfInASuit
10-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Alright guys, looks like we've ended up with a tie! Now in most cases with a tie, I'd have a single tie-breaker vote between the two games that tied in order to decide the winner. However in this case, because we're running behind, I've decided to skip that part for now. In any future cases, the winner will be decided by fair vote, but this is a special case, so I'm sorry for any problems

October's Miniature Game of the Month is!
http://puu.sh/4KM4v.png
VVVVVV (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/?snr=1_7_15__13)
VVVVVV is a retro styled 2D platformer by Terry Cavanagh, creator of dozens of free games. You play as the fearless leader of a team of dimension exploring scientists who inadvertently crash, and are separated. The game involves exploring the strange world you've found yourself in, and reuniting your friends.

VVVVVV explores one simple game mechanic: you cannot jump - instead, you reverse your own gravity at the press of a button. The game focuses on playing with this mechanic in a variety of interesting ways.

The game is designed not to artificially gate your progress. In VVVVVV there are no locks, no power-ups, no switches, nothing to stop you progressing except the challenges themselves

VVVVVV is available on Steam, Nintendo 3DS (Maybe DS?), the Playstation Vita, and whatever this thing is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Pandora) It's a short, yet very challenging platformer that has even been compared to Super Meat Boy in it's difficulty and design. As the game description says, it's very forward-paced. There's nothing getting in your way other than the levels you play.

There we have it, keep in mind these future dates, because who knows, they might be important _spy_
October 18th, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Last chance to suggest games for November's Game of the Month
October 18th, 2013 at 12:00.00 AM through October 31st, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Voting period for November's Game of the Month
October 24th, 2013 - First discussion day for October's miniature Game of the Month

Keep the suggestions coming for November's Game of the Month, other than that, try and play VVVVVV. As always you don't need to beat it, you just need to play enough to understand the game well. Good luck, happy gaming, I'll see you all around!

DwarfInASuit
10-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Alright guys, I gave us until the end of the marathon, and now we begin voting for November's Game of the Month! Remember: You can only vote for games suggested between the first of the month (In this case, October 1st, 2013) and when I make this post (In this case, 5 seconds before you started reading this).

Here are the games you can vote for (Note: Even though I may link games on Steam, you don't need to play them on Steam. Feel free to play the Game of the Month on any system you want):
1.Antichamber (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890/?snr=1_7_15__13)
2.Ys: The Oath in Felghana (http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/?snr=1_7_15__13)
3.Earthworm Jim (http://store.steampowered.com/app/901147/?snr=1_7_15__13)
4. inFAMOUS

Here are the four games you can vote for for November's Game of the Month! You can vote until November 1st rolls around!

Also keep in mind, the discussion day for October's Miniature Game of the Month starts in 3 days!

Here are the important dates for the future
November 1st, 2013 - First day to suggest games for December's Game of the Month

We will have a Game of the Month in December, but due to the season, keep in mind we may cut it short.

Well that's it for now. See you guys around _spy_

My vote goes for Antichamber.

Amaterasu
10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I'll vote for inFAMOUS.

pkGamerB
10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I've already played about three hours into it on my own over the past few weeks, so I'll vote inFAMOUS as well.

WolfAmadeus
10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I'll vote for Earthworm Jim since it's the game I suggested and the only game on the list that I can obtain.

TheSpeedGamers
10-30-2013, 09:59 PM
i some how am just discovering this thread. This is a great idea and I'll try to join you guys soon.

DwarfInASuit
11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
One day late, but with timezones we can argue that I'm right on time _spy_ Here's November's Game of the Month:

http://puu.sh/56ycX.jpg
inFAMOUS
A massive explosion rips through six square blocks of Empire City, leveling everything and everyone in its path. At the center of the blast crater a lone man has survived the event and has been changed forever. From the creators of the award-winning Sly Cooper series, Sucker Punch brings you inFamous, the first open-world action-adventure title exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 system. Players will experience what happens when a real person suddenly starts developing super powers. Will they exact revenge, protect the innocent or do little of both? These are the situations gamers will face when immersed inside a richly interactive and organic living city. A place where actions create broader reactions in the citizens and landscape around them. inFamous lets players unravel an evolving mystery, experience fame and/or infamy and battle powerful, iconic villains...all the while feeling what it is like to become a modern day superhero.

Cole, an everyday guy, sets out to deliver a package in the downtown area of Empire City. Present at the scene of a devastating explosion that rocks Empire City, he barely manages to survive the event. As riots erupt in the aftermath, the city collapses into chaos and becomes overrun by powerful criminals. The city is quarantined from the mainland, and television broadcasts link Cole to the scene of the crime. Cole is now a wanted man, but he's also wielding extraordinary powers as a result of the explosion.

As an evolving mystery unfolds, Cole must learn how to grasp his newfound super powers as he searches for the real culprits behind the blast in an attempt to rescue Empire City from complete anarchy.

inFAMOUS is a PS3-Exclusive title, meaning I don't know much about it :oops: After a bit of searching, I believe you can pick it up if you have Playstation Plus, or maybe you can just buy it through the Playstation Store. That's honestly the most I can tell you about inFAMOUS, the rest you'll have to figure out yourselves _awesome_

Now with November's Game of the Month in hand, we can start thinking about December's Miniature Game of the Month! It's miniature because it's December, which evidently is full of Holidays and stuff to keep you guys busy in your real lives, so we'll cut it short for now. Same idea applies for December as in October: Think of shorter, simpler games for people to play due to time restraints. Something around 6 hours is usually pretty great, but if you have other ideas feel free to suggest them! Suggestions start now, so feel free to throw out any ideas you have!

Here are the dates to keep in mind for the future:
November 2nd, 2013 - First chance to suggest games for December's Miniature Game of the Month
November 22nd, 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Last chance to suggest games for December's Miniature Game of the Month
November 23rd 2013 at 12:00.00 AM through November 30th 2013 at 11:59.59 PM - Voting period for December's Miniature Game of the Month
November 24th 2013 - Last day of discussion for October's Miniature Game of the Month (VVVVVV)
November 24th 2013 - First day of discussion for November's Game of the Month (inFAMOUS)

There you have it, feel free to talk about VVVVVV until the 24th, and feel free to suggest games until the 23rd. Thanks again guys.

DwarfInASuit
11-02-2013, 08:47 AM
For December's Miniature Game of the Month, my suggestion is Gunpoint (http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/)

WolfAmadeus
11-13-2013, 11:11 PM
There has only been one suggestion so far, but I'll change that by suggesting Kirby's Dream Land. It takes about 20-60 minutes to beat and it's available for the 3DS virtual console and Kirby's Dream Collection for the Wii.

pkGamerB
11-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Oh, didn't realize December nominations were open already. I'll nominate Cave Story. While I personally think the Steam version is superior, there are a ton of platforms to play it on, including the original PC version which was still free the last time I checked.

I might not get around to playing VVVVVV before Nov. 24 rolls around, but I'm a good ways into inFamous already, so I'll be prepared for that one.

jdtwins2009
11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I've played VVVVVV on my 3DS (wasn't very good with it on PC) when it came out and it was a ton of fun. It can get really annoying due to how hard some parts are but that helped with the fun too I guess.

I don't think I could ever 100% it due to how difficult some of those balls are.

I won't be participating in the discussion for inFamous, since I didn't like it much when I played it last year.

For December I'm going to suggest SteamWorld Dig on the 3DS eShop. It's fairly short, but it was one heck of a ride.

DwarfInASuit
11-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Let's get down to voting. We've got a good crop of games for you guys to pick out of, so voting starts now and end the last day of November. The game of the month shall be decided on December 1st, and you guys will have until the middle of December to play through it. Here's what you can pick from:

1. Gunpoint, on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/?snr=1_7_15__13)
2. Kirby's Dream Land, on 3DS Virtual Console (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Xj2J3rTEMZX7QD8L2GiJhrOA1YlNGsp4) and Wii (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/RSFsKwdmvAvzZRIsQ5_MAd24-PGBOMll)
3. Cave Story, on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/200900/?snr=1_7_15__13), on the Internet (http://www.cavestory.org/), or on 3DS eShop (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/7v8XhypWihjvc3KetCABGOskZ5qW6WO0)
4. SteamWorld Dig, on 3DS eShop (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pjI4txs46siM_iLFtw8ZchdfubQTVQbO)

Once again, voting starts now and end the last day of November, which is November 30th. Get your vote in, and if you've played inFamous, be prepared because discussion day for November's Game of the Month is a day away!

My vote is for Cave Story. See you guys later _spy_

Amaterasu
11-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd be willing to give Cave Story a try, so I'll vote for that.

DwarfInASuit
12-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Alrighty guys, sorry for being late but it's finals season. Oh well, better late than never right?

http://puu.sh/5D66c.jpg
Cave Story
You wake up in a dark cave with no memory of who you are, where you came from or why you're in such a place. Uncovering Mimiga Village you discover that the once-carefree Mimigas are in danger at the hands of a maniacal scientist. The Mimigas’ only hope rest squarely on the shoulders of a quiet, amnesiac boy who can't remember his own name.

Run, jump, shoot, fly and explore your way through a massive action-adventure reminiscent of classic 8- and 16-bit games. Take control and learn the origins of this world’s power, stop the delusional villain and save the Mimiga!

Cave Story is a famous indie-game and arguably one of the gaming industries first "idie-darlings" that sparked the rise of the whole independent market. Arguably. Please don't hurt me.

You can pick up Cave Story on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/200900/?snr=1_7_15__13), on the Internet (http://www.cavestory.org/), or on 3DS eShop (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/7v8XhypWihjvc3KetCABGOskZ5qW6WO0). It's a shorter game for December, which means you can wrap it up before the holidays. Discussion day for Cave Story starts December 20th and goes until the discussion day for January's Game of the Month.

Here are the important dates for December going into January
Right Now: Suggestions for January's Game of the Month begin
December 19th at 11:59.59 - Last day to suggest games for January's Game of the Month
- Last day of discussion for November's Game of the Month (inFamous)
December 20th at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for December's Game of the Month (Cave Story)
- First day of voting for January's Game of the Month
December 31st at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for January's Game of the Month
January 1st, 2014 - Announcement of January's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for February's Game of the Month

My suggestion for January's Game of the Month is Starbound (http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/)

Happy gaming guys _spy_

WolfAmadeus
12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I'll suggest Earthbound for the Wii U Virtual Console for January's GOTM.

jdtwins2009
12-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I really need to finish Cave Story, so I'll try and get it done for this!!

I'm going to suggest SteamWorld Dig again for January! I just found out it's on Steam as well as the 3DS so more options!

DwarfInASuit
12-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Okie dokie, due to a small amount of suggestions, I'm leaving the suggestions pile open until the night of the 25th, at 11:59.59 PM, so you have until then to get in your suggestions. We'll vote on the morning of the 26th going until the night of the 31st. New Years Day I'll announce January Game of the Month.

Important dates be here
December 20th at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for December's Game of the Month (Cave Story)
December 25th at 11:59.59 - Last day to suggest games for January's Game of the Month
- Last day of discussion for November's Game of the Month (inFamous)
December 26th at 12:00.00 - First day of voting for January's Game of the Month
December 31st at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for January's Game of the Month
January 1st, 2014 - Announcement of January's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for February's Game of the Month

So far we have suggested:
Starbound (PC)
Earthbound (Wii U)
SteamWorld Dig (PC, 3DS)

Get some more suggestions coming guys and we'll get to voting soon! _spy_

WolfAmadeus
01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I guess we all missed the deadline for voting. Maybe you can choose what game we'll be playing this month. That's just a suggestion.

DwarfInASuit
01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the holidays sure do eat up everyone's time. Even I was out of the house more than usual _spy_

So just for this month, I'll let things slide and hopefully we'll be back fully on track for February. So instead of voting, I'll just pick out the Game of the Month as WolfAmadeus suggested. Sorry if you don't agree with it, but suggestions are open right now if you want to get your say in on February's Game of the Month.

http://i.imgur.com/SoJUY4E.png
Earthbound
The cult game to end all cult games, Earthbound is what many fans claim is one of Nintendo's greatest properties. A stylish RPG set in a bizarre world, Earthbound has enchanted players for many many years with its gameplay mechanics, but more importantly its setting. People who have played Earthbound will agree that the story and style of the game is what sets it apart from most other RPG titles. Well, it's time for the Game of the Month Club to dig in and decide ourselves!

Earthbound was previously a rare game to come by. Either you owned a fabled copy of the game for the SNES or even the Game Boy Advance (Which is much rarer I hear), or you emulated it. Now you can pick up Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console and experience it yourself! If you are of the few who own the original cartridge, or if you want to pick up an new digital copy, you'll be set!

So here's the important info: you guys have until January 24th, 2014 to play through Earthbound. Beat it or not, the 24th will be the start of our discussion day so we can share our thoughts on Earthbound. You can start right now, so don't wait!

Next, suggestions for February's Game of the Month start right now. Get in your suggestions or else I'll pick next month's game, and don't think I won't pick something bad! You guys are just going to love Bubsy 3D...

Finally, suggestions end and voting starts on the 24th, same day as discussion for Earthbound. Voting ends the last day of January, so show up and support your favorite games! If we don't get any votes, I'll pick next months game anyways! Bubsy 3D is calling you guys...

That's about that. Here are the important dates for the next month:
January 4th, 2014 - First day to suggest games for February's Game of the Month
- Announcement of January's Game of the Month (Earthbound)
January 23rd, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last chance to suggest games for February's Game of the Month
January 24th, 2014 at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for January's Game of the Month (Earthbound)
- First day of voting for February's Game of the Month
January 31st, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for February's Game of the Month
February 1st, 2014 - Announcement of February's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for March's Game of the Month

Unless you guys really want Bubsy 3D, you should get in your suggestions! Happy gaming everyone _spy_

DwarfInASuit
01-04-2014, 11:29 AM
My suggestion for February's Game of the Month is Tearaway on the Playstation Vita.

Amaterasu
01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
or even the Game Boy Advance (Which is much rarer I hear)

...*hugs his GBA copy :p*

While Tearaway was an awesome game (one that I'd recommend for all Vita owners), I think I'm going to suggest The World Ends With You.

jdtwins2009
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
I've been meaning to play through Earthbound again for a while now and I bought it on Wii U when it came out so this is perfect!

For February I'm going to suggest SteamWorld Dig again cuz people should play it!

pkGamerB
01-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Cave Story stuff, spoiler'd since it's over a month past discussion time for it:[spoiler:27iatknx]I actually played through Cave Story+ for December&#39;s GotM, but never got around to posting about it. tl;dr version since I&#39;m so behind - This was my 3rd time playing through it, but my first going for the good ending. Love the "Metroidvania" gameplay, the soundtrack is one of my favorites among games (particularly the remastered one used in this version of the game), and it has a surprisingly dark story for such a lighthearted art style. It&#39;s moderately difficult at times, but the true final level is one of the most difficult stretches I&#39;ve faced in any game. Such a long, unforgiving stretch with no checkpoints. After dozens of deaths, I finally beat it though. Overall, great game.[/spoiler:27iatknx]On to January's GotM, EarthBound. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of this game, as it's the inspiration for my username, and the game that cemented my gamer status back when I played it almost 18 years ago. However, over the past two years or so, I'd kind of gotten tired of it, and wasn't going to participate this month at first. I randomly ended up thinking of a decent challenge for myself though, so I decided to go for it.

I've noticed that ever since I was a kid, I've always played this EarthBound kind of "scared," avoiding all but bosses and the weakest random encounters, and this is the only game I still play that way. So this time, I decided not to avoid or run from anything. To make things even tougher, I'm not using Bottle Rockets at all either, so I won't be able to just breeze through like I normally do.

As it turns out, most of the stuff I usually run from really isn't that bad (even though I already knew this), so the game's not much more difficult than usual. I've only made it to the point just after the mine with the five moles, so some of the later areas might be tough without Bottle Rockets. Stonehenge Base, Onett revisited, Magicant, and the Cave of the Past immediately spring to mind. In addition to my challenge, I'm also taking the time to check every chest, talk to every NPC, and really just enjoy the game in its entirety, something I rarely do anymore when I replay it. So far, it's been a refreshing take on an old favorite, but I think it's safe to say LttP has officially overtaken it as my current favorite game. Still, this is the most I've enjoyed EB in at least two or three years, and I look forward to finishing it.

If we're voting on February's game still, I'll go with The World Ends With You, based on what's been nominated. I only played through it once, at least four years ago, so I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Amaterasu
01-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Oh, yeah, if we're still taking votes for February (which, we might be a bit late on that), my vote's for TWEWY as well.

...I actually totally forgot that I suggested that. :p

DwarfInASuit
02-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Totally my bad for not updating you guys. Since the site redesign I've been having a ton of problems logging in, staying logged in, and posting pretty much anything without being logged out by the time I finished writing a post. I've managed to get everything settled so hopefully site issues won't get in my way in the future.

Plus school started last week. Ate up all of my time :cry:

But back to business as usual

http://i.imgur.com/zmCiJnO.png
The World Ends With You
The World Ends With You has been debated as being one of the best Nintendo DS hits since...well, ever. Like Earthbound the game has obtained a massive cult following as fans crawl all over this game, bringing it up in ever conversation that somehow segues into talking about the DS. The game itself is an RPG with a unique mechanic: you'll be fighting on the DS's top and bottom screen at once, giving the game a steep learning curve as the controls are completely unique to the genre. It's also well known for its sense of style as the games art direction is influenced by Japanese Youth Culture, so in the same sense as Earthbound a lot of the games charm comes from its aesthetics. Is The World Ends With You truly the DS RPG to end all DS RPG's? That's what we here at the Game of the Month Club are here to find out.

Even though you it's more popular on the DS, The World Ends With You can also be purchased on iOS devices. But be warned, reviews of the iOS port are mostly negative due to how the developers behind the port had to change the games unique battle system to fit on one screen. It's an easy way to pick up the game, but it suffers from the fact that the dual-screen battles are the best way to experience The World Ends With You. In almost every case it's suggested that you pick up this title on the Nintendo DS. As far as I'm aware, you can't pick the game up on the DS eShop (Maybe someone could confirm this?) but the games impact has made it available at almost any games retailer or online. I found copies of it on Amazon for around $15 (not included Shipping and Handling) so it's not too hard to come by.

Now here are the dates you guys need to put on your calendars: Play The World Ends With You by February 21st, 2014 and we can talk about it then. You can get started right now, so don't wait! Discussion as usual goes on until the next game of the month.

Now March might be a busy month for me, but I will dedicate myself to organizing a Game of the Month for March as well. You can start suggesting games for March's Game of the Month Right Now! You can keep suggesting until February 21st, at which point we'll then vote on the suggested games until March 1st. Same rules as always, if there aren't enough suggestions or there aren't enough votes, I'll decide on the Game of the Month, and it can be anything even if it wasn't suggested like Bubsy 3D.

Here be your dates:
February 1st, 2014 - First day to suggest games for March's Game of the Month
- Announcement of February's Game of the Month (The World Ends With You)
February 21st, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last chance to suggest games for Marchs Game of the Month
February 21st, 2014 at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for February's Game of the Month (The World Ends With You)
- First day of voting for March's Game of the Month
- Last day of discussion for January's Game of the Month (Earthbound)
February 28th, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for March's Game of the Month
March 1st, 2014 - Announcement of March's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for April's Game of the Month

Unfortunately I've been too busy and I haven't been able to play Earthbound, so don't expect anything out of me for that game. I really wanted to try it, but school work has been piling up and its about to get a lot worse, so I don't think I'll be able to manage playing two games. I've never touched The World Ends With You, and I've heard so much about it so I think I'll totally pick up a copy of try and play through it before the 21st. I don't have much free time outside of School Work and Dota, but I think if I work at it I'll be able to take out a decent chunk of the game by the 21st.

Now suggestions for March's Game of the Month are open! Leave your suggestions as a reply and hopefully I'll be back around the 21st to start talking about The World Ends With You and start organizing March's Game of the Month! Thanks for your patience guys, and happy gaming _spy_

DwarfInASuit
02-01-2014, 11:46 AM
My suggestion for March's Game of the Month will be Bravely Default. It comes out on February 7th, so hopefully a lot of people will still be playing it around March!

Amaterasu
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
As far as I'm aware, you can't pick the game up on the DS eShop (Maybe someone could confirm this?)

I don't think it's possible to purchase any full DS games digitally. Just DSiWare games, and such.

DwarfInASuit
02-16-2014, 11:18 AM
You guys have until Midnight, Thursday Night (February 20th) to get your suggestions in for March's Game of the Month! Do it or I get to decide what March's Game of the Month will be! _spy_

pkGamerB
02-16-2014, 08:39 PM
I'll nominate Okami for March's GotM (available on PS2, Wii, and in HD on PSN). I've had it for years and never touched it.

I finished EarthBound the other day, and I think my crowning of LttP as my new favorite game may have been a bit premature. As I mentioned before, I was fighting every enemy I came across this time and refraining from using Bottle Rockets, along with talking to every NPC. Well, this was probably the most I've enjoyed this game in 10 years, and I actually got a little choked up during the both the post-Giygas sequence and the photo album section of the credits, which rarely happens to me with any game, and was a first for this particular one. Still, it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why I like this game so much. I mean, the gameplay is admittedly average and/or outdated compared to other RPGs, the four heroes lack any real personality, and the story doesn't get interesting until Magicant, with a few exceptions (i.e. Happy Happy Village, zombie Threed, and Moonside). A lot of the NPCs and other text are funny throughout the game though, and the modern, vibrant setting was pretty unique for its time (and still is, to an extent). It's also fun to see all of the silly enemies, such as hula hoop-wielding gang members, cups of coffee, and hippies. I guess just taking in the sights of the world is EarthBound's biggest appeal.

I'd say my love for EB is partially attributed to nostalgia as well, but I'm okay with that. For now, I'll leave it atop my list of favorite games, or at worst have it and LttP tied as my favorites. I do have to say, replaying this game as if it were my first time has made me want to do the same with some other classics to see how well they hold up. Chrono Trigger and the N64 Zeldas immediately spring to mind.

WolfAmadeus
02-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Since I missed the last GOTM games, I'm going to really try and participate in March's GOTM. By the way, I'll suggest Castle of Illusion( the remake) for March. It's available on Steam and PSN.

DwarfInASuit
02-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Yoyoyo everyone, it is time for discussion! We played The World Ends With You this month, so those who managed to get their hands on a copy, watcha think? Personally, I was way too busy to play this month, but with midterms soon behind me, I'll probably have something to say before our next discussion day in March.

Speaking of that, you guys have until I wake up tomorrow to make your suggestions! Once I make the call for voting, suggestions are off and we're stuck with the current pool of games! Right now our suggestions are:

Bravely Default
Okami
Castle of Illusion

If you don't like these, then make a suggestion! You have until tomorrow.

Thanks and happy gaming guys _spy_

Amaterasu
02-21-2014, 05:18 PM
I got distracted by Pokemon Bank (or, more specifically, getting stuff to transfer), Bravely Default (although only temporarily), and Dangan Ronpa (every Vita owner should buy this) to play TWEWY much, but from the small bit of it that I've played, it seems pretty interesting. It's got a pretty good soundtrack, from the bit of it that I've heard, I like the art style, and the battle system is kinda interesting. It's quite difficult at first, though. Hell, I was still trying to get the hang of it back when I was playing it. I do want to go back to it sometime. Hopefully it'll be soon.

DwarfInASuit
02-23-2014, 10:51 AM
We'll just say I slept through yesterday _spy_

Voting starts NOW! You can choose from one of these three games to vote for. If there aren't enough votes, or if there is a tie, then I will choose what game we play. Since we have a good pool of suggestions, I won't choose anything outside of those three games unless I'm the only one to vote, which rarely ever happens.

So get voting nerds! My vote is for Bravely Default.

Amaterasu
02-23-2014, 12:29 PM
My vote's for Okami.

WolfAmadeus
02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
I vote for castle of illusion

DwarfInASuit
03-01-2014, 11:52 AM
The less votes we get, the more inclined I am to nominate Bubsy 3D as our Game of the Month!

Anyways, Happy Day of the Helix. On this holy day, I will decide March's Game of the Month.

Once again, you guys are free to discuss February's Game of the Month until the discussion day for March's Game of the Month pops up (The date for that I'll be posting later). So if you haven't started on The World Ends With You, you still have 2/3rds of March to play through it! My midterms are over, and I 100% will have something to say before discussion is over.

Now onto new business, March's Game of the Month. There was a 3-Way tie so I will decide the Game of the Month. And my decision is:
http://i.imgur.com/GQ64tsr.png
Okami
The last product of the great Clover Studio (Who later went on the form the also great studio Platinum Games), Okami remains as one of the greatest "art" games of all time due to its clear style and inspirations. An action-adventure game, that many would describe similar to games such as Ocarina Of Time, Okami remains in the hearts of many who played it due it's fast gameplay, quirky characters, surprisingly deep lore and story, and of course, it's indistinguishable art style. Many fans describe Okami as beautiful. Others simply call it fun. Whether it's a mix between gameplay and art direction, or if it follows on more than the other, Okami, like all the games we've played this year (I'm sensing a pattern here...), is a cult classic that has gained the attention of many fans. Can this game stand up to the other games we've played this year? Let's find out.

You can pick up Okami on either it's original incarnation on the Playstation 2, it's "improved" version on the Wii (IGN watermark included) (http://i.imgur.com/V5GmvU9.jpg), or in it's HD rendition on the Playstation Network. There's no major difference between all of the versions except for the art, which is "beautified" as the game gets re-released, however it doesn't change the games unique style. If you have a PSN account, that's probably going to be the best way to get a copy of Okami. If you don't, then the next best way is to pick it up for the Wii. On Amazon I found it selling for around $10. The PS2 versions are a bit more pricey, selling for around $20. Any copy of the game is fine, once again, I looked it up, there don't seem to be many differences with the exception that the Wii and PSN versions support motion controls, which may make the games drawing mechanics a bit smoother than if you were to use a controller.

From me: Okami is one of my favorite games of all time. It's in my Top 20 Games for sure, maybe even in my Top 10, so I do carry a strong bias for this game. I played it and beat it a couple of years ago, and I totally have a ton to say about this game, so I'll spout off something when discussion day rolls around. I might go back in and see if my old opinions still stand strong, but I really do love this game and would love to see what you guys think of it.

Here are your important dates for March: you guys have until March 21st to pick up a copy of Okami to play because that's when discussion starts. After the 21st, you guys have until April 18th to play through the game so you can post a discussion. Back in March, you can start suggesting games for April's Game of the Month starting right now. Like last year, I will announce the Game of the Month of April 1st, or April Fools Day, so I have extra inclination to make the game of the month something terrible, so get in your suggestions or else I'll pick something absolutely awful for you guys to play. Suggestions end on March 21st, where we will start voting for the Game of the Month as well.

Here's everything in an easy to read format if you don't understand the stuff that comes out of my head:
March 1st, 2014 - First day to suggest games for April's Game of the Month
- Announcement of March's Game of the Month (Okami)
March 20th, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last chance to suggest games for April's Game of the Month
March 21st, 2014 at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for March's Game of the Month (Okami)
- Last day of discussion for February's Game of the Month (The World Ends With You)
- First day of voting for April's Game of the Month
March 31st, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for April's Game of the Month
April 1st, 2014 - Announcement of April's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for May's Game of the Month
April 18th, 2014 - Discussion Day for April's Game of the Month
- Last day of discussion for March's Game of the Month (Okami)

That's that, get your suggestions in now or else! Thanks again, and happy gaming _spy_

DwarfInASuit
03-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Heck, I'm poor and don't want to spend money, but let's have some fun. My suggestion for April is the Free-to-play game, Loadout, on Steam.

pkGamerB
03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I nominate Shantae for April's GotM. It's easy to come by these days, on the 3DS eShop for under $10 (it's also on GBC if you're fortunate enough to have a copy).

I'm a little under halfway through TWEWY now, so I'll post my thoughts on it once I finish. I will note that I've played this game once before, and it's interesting to see some of the foreshadowing of certain events throughout the story so far.

Sonic62
03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh hi again! I nominate Sonic CD for April! :D

WolfAmadeus
03-06-2014, 01:18 AM
I'll suggest Spyro: Year Of the Dragon for April's Gotm. It's available on PSN for PS3 and PSP I believe.

kmmgreen5
03-15-2014, 07:37 AM
I second shantae cause i just bought that game

DwarfInASuit
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Good suggestions so far guys; just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day to make suggestions so if nothing here seems fine, then make your own suggestion!

Today is also the last day to talk about February's Game of the Month: The World Ends With You. I lied, I said I would have something to say, but personal things got in the way and I didn't have enough time to make any meaningful progress in the game. I've only played for about an hour or so but the game has definitely caught my interest. The months of February and March has been a big one for RPG's, with South Park: The Stick of Truth, Dark Souls II, and Bravely Default all hitting within weeks of each other. Most of these games have caught my attention, but somehow The World Ends With You has caught my attention even more, and I do not know why. So I will probably make that game one of my summer projects and see what I feel about it after I invest more time into it.

Now Okami I always have something to say about that game. I will post my opinions of that game tomorrow, and then we will start voting for April's Game of the Month.

pkGamerB
03-21-2014, 05:39 PM
I had a whole post typed out about TWEWY yesterday, but my internet decided to crap out on me and I lost it. I'm not gonna type it out again, but the gist of it was:

- I enjoyed the game as much the second time around as I did when I first played it a few years ago.
- Good story and characters, and Neku's character development throughout the game was something I could kind of relate to.
- Initially I thought it was just okay, but the soundtrack grew on me the more I listened to it. Good variety of genres and a few really catchy tracks.
- The battle system is fun and unique, but the top screen action feels like mindless button mashing after a while.
- Some aspects of the Pin system seem unnecessarily complicated, mainly the mechanics behind evolution.

I haven't had a chance to start Okami yet, but I'll try to before the next deadline. If we're voting for April's GotM now, I choose Shantae.

DwarfInASuit
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I'll also throw my hat in the ring for Shantae for April's Game of the Month.

DwarfInASuit
03-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Last chance to vote is this weekend! Get your vote in as soon as you can, because April 1st I'm choosing the game!

DwarfInASuit
04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
I hope you guys had a fine April Fools and a fine weekend. Last week was incredibly busy for me, but let's not focus on that. Instead, let's talk about what we are going to be doing in the month of April.

http://i.imgur.com/C2S1AMW.png
Shantae
Real talk: I have never actually heard of this game before it was suggested for game of the month. I really must be out of the loop on this one, because Shantae has received no small amount of praise, and from my research, is also regarded as one of the Game Boy Color's best platformers. And when the Game Boy Color hosts one of the better libraries for a handheld, well that strikes me as very interesting. Well the only way to judge these criticisms are to put them to the test. That's why for the month of April, we will be playing Shantae and seeing how well this title holds up.

Now I believe there are multiple Shantae games out there? So to make things easier, I will just say that if you can get your hands on any of these games during April that will be fine. After looking it up, and reading your suggestions, here are the options that I have found:

1. Pick up Shantae on the 3DS eShop. It's about $10 or your regional equivalent, and is probably the easiest way to pick up this game.
2. Get it on the Game Boy Color. Now this will either be harder or easier; if you have a copy on GBC you are set, but if you don't, then unless you want to shell out ~$200 on eBay or Amazon you are out of luck.
3. There is a sequel called Shantae: Risky's Revenge that you can also play. It might be out on the eShop (Could someone check this?) and it is also on iOS devices.

If I missed anything, please let me and everyone else know if there is another title you can play. Go wild guys, I've never touched this game so I will totally give it a shot.

Here be dates for April:
April 6th, 2014 - First day to suggest games for May's Game of the Month
- Announcement of April's Game of the Month (Shantae)
April 17th, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last chance to suggest games for May's Game of the Month
April 18th, 2014 at 12:00.00 - First day of discussion for April's Game of the Month (Shantae)
- Last day of discussion for March's Game of the Month (Okami)
- First day of voting for May's Game of the Month
April 30th, 2014 at 11:59.59 - Last day of voting for May's Game of the Month
May 1st, 2014 - Announcement of May's Game of the Month
- First day of suggestion for June's Game of the Month
May 23rd, 2014 - Discussion Day for May's Game of the Month
- Last day of discussion for April's Game of the Month (Shantae)

Now you can get your suggestions for May's Game of the Month in right now! I think my suggestion will be Luftrausers on Steam, Vita, and PS3.

There you have it, happy gaming guys.

DwarfInASuit
04-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Reminder: This is the last week you can suggest games for May's Game of the Month! No suggestions means I get to pick the Game of the Month, so get your suggestions in by April 17th at midnight.

NightSkyie
04-16-2014, 04:34 PM
I just found this thread and it seems like a really cool idea. I'm a little late to play Shantae, but could I suggest A Link Between Worlds for next month?

pkGamerB
04-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I nominate Braid for next month.

WolfAmadeus
04-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Oh I almost forgot about GOTM. I nominate Spyro: Year Of The Dragon again.

DwarfInASuit
04-20-2014, 06:16 PM
GO N' VOTE EVERYONE

I vote for Braid

pkGamerB
04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I vote Braid as well. It's worth noting that it's currently available for $0.99 on PSN's flash sale (https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ca/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-9_FLASHSALE2014) right now. I think that deal ends today though.

pkGamerB
04-27-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm not quite finished with Shantae (I'm looking for 3 fireflies and 1 warp squid before I head to for the final dungeon), but since I won't be able to play it for the next few days, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts.

I know it's become sort of a cult classic over the years, but I was still pleasantly surprised with how good Shantae is. I was expecting it to be a straight up platformer, but it really has more of a Metroidvania feel, which I'm a big fan of. This game features a decent sized world that you have to explore in order to find and complete various dungeons. Throughout the overworld, there are lots of hidden powerups and collectible items scattered about that you gain access to as you get new abilities. Then there are the dungeons, which contain short puzzles for you to figure out en route to fighting bosses. The combat system is solid, particularly after you buy upgrades that allow you to perform combos and do more than just a short range ground attack. One of my favorite things though, is the transformation ability. In each dungeon, you learn a new dance that allows you to transform into a different creature with skills that let you explore previously unreachable areas. It kind of reminds me of Majora's Mask in that regard, but on a much smaller scale. Overall, it's pretty fun game to play, and I enjoy exploring every time I get a new power.

On to the overall presentation of this game, I think the visuals in Shantae are some of the best on the GBC, which makes sense considering how late into the system's life cycle this game was made. The overworld is full of vibrant colors and a variety of different backdrops, and the sprites are done well. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue in this game, but what's there is pretty lighthearted and fun, so that's okay with me. The music is pretty good, too.

My only real complaints about this game are that it's easy and a bit on the short side (I would've liked a couple more dungeons), even if you collect all of the optional items. It's still one of the better GBC games I've played, and I definitely liked it enough to try out the sequels.

DwarfInASuit
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Okie dokie ladies and gents, because we had an (AWESOME) marathon happening during the previous weekend and some of this week, I am going to extend the date where we decide what May's Game of the Month is until May 4th, this Sunday. Right now the winner is Braid, so if Braid is not your cup of tea get your vote in now!

DwarfInASuit
05-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Sorry about that long break guys BibleThump

The Month of May has been a very busy one for me. I have final exams and I start work withing a week of each other. But excuses are excuses and they do not help me from getting out of doing nothing for the club the entire month. Maybe in the future I should just have one of you guys take over during my especially busy months. I will work something out later, but for now, let us focus on what is happening next.

I do not want to start a Game of the Month Vote/Discussion more than halfway through the month. We would literally have only a single number of days to play a game, then talk about it. For some games that is fine, but other people are just as busy or even busier than I was, so I do not want to start anything this late. Because of that, I am going to scoot everything over we were doing in April to this month. Meaning the game we were voting for in May is now going to be the game we are voting for in June. I know this may work against some of your guys' plans, and I am very sorry about this change in events, but for me I see no other option other than to move the plans in May over to June because I just got back my personal life. If you have any problems, I always want you guys to let me know what is up and what I can do to change things.

So lets rewind what was happening back in April/May. We just got done playing April's Game of the Month, Shantae. Then we started voting for the next Game of the Month with the following being our options:

Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Braid
Luftrausers

Braid was winning the vote before May started. So lets pick up there. If you guys do not want Braid to be June's Game of the Month, you have until May 31st to vote for a different game. June 1st I will choose the Game of the Month with no fail.

Starting June we will get back on track; June 1st we will suggest July's Game of the Month and later on in June we will talk about the Game of the Month, and so on and so on.

Once again I am deeply sorry for my absence. I cannot guarantee that this will not happen again, so I will try and find a way to work around future absences. But for the rest of the summer everything should be fine. Only once we get into September should things start getting weird.

There you have it. Get in your new votes, or change your vote if you want something else. Happy gaming everyone!