PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 4 - Coming Holiday 2013

DNAbro
01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Sony just posted this video for an announcement on Feb 20, 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U

[ytube:1jt603nl]d-3GMHIgR-U[/ytube:1jt603nl] (fix link please mod? for some reason i can never get it to work anymore)

Their twitter account also said something along the lines of "see the future"

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7QhUL8NUK4
[ytube:1jt603nl]x7QhUL8NUK4[/ytube:1jt603nl]

zion777
01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
I hope they finally just reveal it. I want to see it in action though more than just see what the console looks like. I am already saving up for a new console towards the end of the year, and now just need details to learn what system it will be (if there are options as rumors say)

Muzy72
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
HYPE

[ Post made via Android ]

Shiron
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmm, before either God of War: Ascension or The Last of Us are even out then? I don't know... would figure they would at least let those two games release before they start talking about next gen at all, just so as to not even risk hype for the new system affecting sales for those games at all. For the time being, I'm very cautious about this and not getting hyped or anything. Really have no idea what it could be at all, but it doesn't really feel like the right time to be announcing a new system to me, but I suppose we'll see.

Edit: Oh, and almost forgot. For the youtube thing, if you're using the ytube version of the tax, just delete the "=" and everything before it. It will also work if you switch to [youtube] tags and just delete the "s" in the https:// part of the url, since that tag doesn't work with the secure version of the site.

DNAbro
01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
After reading some things about it, last time they had a playstation meeting, they announced the vita. Time before that they announced the ps3. They have also invited media and investors to the meeting. It's most likely the PS4.

Shiron
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Hmm, interesting. Haven't bothered to really read up on this much myself yet, because I pretty much figured it wouldn't be much of anything due to the timing just seeming kind of weird to me--I really figured Sony would at least let The Last of Us release, or at the very least, let God of War come out before talking about their next system like I said so as to not even risk any interference. Will be interesting to see what exactly happens then and if it is "Orbis" being unveiled, how long it will take Microsoft to respond and unveil "Durango."

Oh, and I edited tips about how to fix the youtube tags in the first post into my previous one. You replied as I was editing though, so you probably missed them, but yeah, just delete the "=" and everything before it (for the [ytube] tags, you only need those string of letters at the end) and it should work.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, after reading more about this, it's definitely looking like it's PS4 time~ Can't wait to see what will happen (I've been avoiding reading about the rumors and such about the system as much as possible so I'll be surprised)~

Muzy72
01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I can guarantee this is a PS4 announcement. So excited!! And hopefully Nintendo reacts by bringing their A game to E3 ;).

Oh god, imagine if all 3 companies have fantastic E3 showings. When was the last time that happened?

Shiron
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
So... how much do you guys think it will end up costing? Expecting around $400 USD for the basic unit, myself--hopefully Sony will have learned from last time and we won't have any $599 shenanigans again.

[ Post made via Nintendo Wii U ]

diddyknux
01-31-2013, 10:56 PM
See, I'm not hyped for the PS4 or Xbox whatever. I'm worried, that these companies are jumping the gun, trying to get their new consoles out before they really need to. Yes, I realize its been like 6 years this console generation has been going. But I don't feel like many games have actually pushed the consoles to their limits of what they can do, ESPECIALLY in the current market that's so overrsaturated with first person shooters. Could the graphics be better? Sure, but I honestly can't see the change being so radical as to warrant a new console. Unless games are all going to start using Avatar-level CGI.

And if that's the case (and Shiron kind of posted towards this point), what's that gonna mean for what the consoles and just games in general cost? $60 for a game is already kind of pushing it (ESPECIALLY if its only a 4-6 hour game on a first playthrough), and other countries (such as Australia) have it even worse. I mean, prices will go up everywhere. 70, 80, $90 for one game? Its ridiculous. Now, that may be a worst case scenario, maybe prices won't raise at all, but if that is the case... I honestly can't see myself even participating in the next-gen if that were the case, I don't have that much money to be throwing around every couple months. And if Sony or any other companies DO try to work in this ID-locking thing, making it so that you can't play that game on a different console, then they'd never HAVE to drop prices anywhere. (Again, worst case scenario, but one I've thought about a bit)

I know I'm blowing a lot of smoke here, and I actually am curious to see what lies ahead. I'd love to be proven wrong, and if the PS4 isn't too ungodly expensive, and games don't become crazy over-priced, I'll be happy to embrace it. But for now, I'm just very hesitant going forward.

(And I realize that even with all this, it may still be a year or 2 before the PS4 is released. Still, these were my major concerns)

Shiron
02-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I can definitely understand where you're coming from on that. I mean, there's absolutely no way I'll have the money for these systems for like forever, so it really doesn't matter much what they do or what games they have, since I won't be able to get them anyway. Even so though, I just kind of really enjoy just going along for the ride and seeing what happens anyway, even if I never get them. Same idea as window-shopping, really--it can be fun to just watch the show anyway, you know?

But in any case, yeah, personally, if anything, I'd really just be happy if I could just have a really good gaming PC to supplement my Wii U: I'd easily be good with just those two things for 10+ years probably were they to actually be supported properly for that long as I'm not that picky when it comes to graphics or anything and don't need much more than that, so yeah, I can definitely understand what you mean there, especially since in the case of the PS3, it still has awesome stuff like Puppeteer in the works, which I'd be pretty satisfied with myself.

[ Post made via Nintendo Wii U ]

Trust, Me I Got This
02-01-2013, 02:54 AM
I can't see this being for PS4 after the CEO only a week or two ago said they wouldn't announce anything until Microsoft did.

DrewStern
02-01-2013, 06:29 AM
I can't see this being for PS4 after the CEO only a week or two ago said they wouldn't announce anything until Microsoft did.
This is what I was thinking.

Muzy72
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
There's way too much evidence out there saying this is the PS4. The last two PlayStation Meetings were the reveals of Vita and PS3

Shiron
02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, there's really no doubt now--everything is pointing towards this being the PS4 announcement.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
There's way too much evidence out there saying this is the PS4. The last two PlayStation Meetings were the reveals of Vita and PS3

Well when the CEO of the company said not even a week ago that they wouldn't be announcing ANYTHING to do with a new console until Microsoft did, there is more than enough reason to believe this won't be for the PS4.

Sangome
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I can definitely understand where you're coming from on that. I mean, there's absolutely no way I'll have the money for these systems for like forever, so it really doesn't matter much what they do or what games they have, since I won't be able to get them anyway. Even so though, I just kind of really enjoy just going along for the ride and seeing what happens anyway, even if I never get them. Same idea as window-shopping, really--it can be fun to just watch the show anyway, you know?

Same with me. I only just got a PS3 last year so I don't foresee me getting a potential PS4 anytime soon, but I love the speculation leading up to these announcements and the post-announcement aftermath. It's oddly fun!

Interested to see what comes of this either way. Not sure what else it could be other than a PS4, though -- not ruling it out of course, but I'm curious as to what would be big enough to warrant all our attention this way.

DNAbro
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Well when the CEO of the company said not even a week ago that they wouldn't be announcing ANYTHING to do with a new console until Microsoft did, there is more than enough reason to believe this won't be for the PS4.

Nintendo flat out said they were not making a bigger 3DS during E3. 2 weeks later 3DS XL. Companies don't want to admit anything until the planned date of reveal.

Muzy72
02-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Nintendo flat out said they were not making a bigger 3DS during E3. 2 weeks later 3DS XL. Companies don't want to admit anything until the planned date of reveal.
This is actually a great example lol. Nintendo literally said the 3DS is perfect as is, and that we won't be seeing any revisions, and then bam, 3DS XL.

And I don't know how someone can deny the evidence so easily. The last two PlayStation Meetings were the reveals of PS3 and Vita. What could it be if not PS4, PSP 3? lol

Trust, Me I Got This
02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
It's easy to deny evidence when the CEO said they wouldn't be announcing anything until Microsoft did a week ago. This could be the PS4, but it's not as obvious as you make it out to be.

DrewStern
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
What is they pull a curve ball and call it something totally different than Playstation?

Trust, Me I Got This
02-01-2013, 05:32 PM
What is they pull a curve ball and call it something totally different than Playstation?
Then they lose money from the casuals who know the PlayStation brand.

Shiron
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
It's easy to deny evidence when the CEO said they wouldn't be announcing anything until Microsoft did a week ago. This could be the PS4, but it's not as obvious as you make it out to be.
The reason it's pretty obvious is because it's pretty much been confirmed by people in the know already:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511170

Trust, Me I Got This
02-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I just like to think companies wouldn't just flat out lie to their consumers.

DNAbro
02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Happens all the dang time.

Muzy72
02-01-2013, 06:13 PM
How can you blatantly refuse all the evidence just because of that one quote? Companies lie all the time. He probably said that to catch MS off guard.

Sonic62
02-02-2013, 02:18 AM
This is clearly just new Vita colors.

diddyknux
02-02-2013, 02:36 AM
This is clearly just new Vita colors.

That would be * brilliant. :lol:

Sangome
02-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Or maybe they'll take a page from Nintendo's book and give the Vita a price cut?

...Maybe? :?

Trust, Me I Got This
02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
How can you blatantly refuse all the evidence just because of that one quote? Companies lie all the time. He probably said that to catch MS off guard.
The only evidence you have is that previous meetings have announced consoles......

Wallace
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Even if it is another Playstation, I'm not paying $600 for a console no matter how powerful it is. So they better keep it near the $300 price range, which knowing Sony they won't.

Muzy72
02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
The only evidence you have is that previous meetings have announced consoles......
Well I figured that the fact that the only time Sony has held PlayStation Meetings are when they are announcing a new console would make this obvious, but if its still not obvious, check various gaming sites like IGN, Kotaku, and NeoGAF, where there are tons of evidence. I'm too lazy to link them myself :P

DNAbro
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Even if it is another Playstation, I'm not paying $600 for a console no matter how powerful it is. So they better keep it near the $300 price range, which knowing Sony they won't.

Im gonna guess $400 from all the people who are saying that from it's specs. I am sure that Sony knows they can't have another "599 US DOLLAS" on their hands.

And guys there is almost no way this isn't the PS4. Every bit of evidence is saying it is.

Baltes
02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Jesus, Trust, quit being such a Microsoft fanboy

Wallace
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Im gonna guess $400 from all the people who are saying that from it's specs. I am sure that Sony knows they can't have another "599 US DOLLAS" on their hands.

And guys there is almost no way this isn't the PS4. Every bit of evidence is saying it is.

We'll see.. Really, I don't even play the consoles that I have because of PC gaming. I don't think $400 will be worth it either. I never got a PS3, and if I got a PS4 it would likely be after the first price drop.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Jesus, Trust, quit being such a Microsoft fanboy
Micrsft mke da besteest consls. Sny nd Ninteno mke da bby gmes.

DNAbro
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Speaking of Microsoft, did anybody hear about the anti-used game thing microsoft's new console is supposed to have? This automatically puts it even further below the PS4 on my radar and if it's true, i probably won't pick one up even if i can afford it.

diddyknux
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, its only rumored. And, PS4 is rumored to have such a thing too, so...

Shiron
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, saying it's only rumored isn't quite fair. I mean, it's true that it's a rumor at this point, but EDGE seems pretty confident about their source. And the PS4 isn't rumored to have such a thing at all, as far as I do--Sony does have patents for such technology, but there aren't currently any rumors that they'll actually use them (as all there is is that patent, and companies make all kinds of patents that they never actually use just so that they keep their options open).

Also, if true, publishers will be more than happy to jump aboard the Durango, as that's pretty much their dream system at that point. That being the case, if this does pan out, I wonder if this upcoming generation, instead of being similar to the ending PS3/360 one like we thought at first where publishers would mainly focus on supporting both, if instead it will go back a step and be more like the era of the PS2, with publishers throwing way more of their support behind the Durango than either of the other two systems. Hmm...

Baltes
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
And the PS4 isn't rumored to have such a thing at all, as far as I do--Sony does have patents for such technology, but there aren't currently any rumors that they'll actually use them (as all there is is that patent, and companies make all kinds of patents that they never actually use just so that they keep their options open).

lolwut? The patent started the rumors, the sony rumors are more prevalent than the microsoft rumors

here's one example from January 2012 http://kotaku.com/5972954/rumors-of-ps4 ... k-tumbling (http://kotaku.com/5972954/rumors-of-ps4-restricting-used-games-sends-gamestop-stock-tumbling)
here's an article that isn't kotaku http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gamestop- ... 46439.html (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gamestop-shares-fall-sony-patent-201046439.html)

here's michael patcher commenting on it http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... s-pachter/ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341908/retailers-wont-stock-ps4-if-it-blocks-used-games-says-pachter/)

another http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... sed-games/ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343041/features/will-ps4-kill-off-used-games/)

Shiron
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
But that's what I mean--it's all just based around the patent. People discovered the patent, and started wondering if that's something they'll do. But there haven't been any actual at=all recent rumors or commotion about Sony doing anything either way--it's just speculation based around the patent.

In other words, if I'm not really making myself clear, right now, with the Durango, there's an actual rumor that Microsoft is going to do this--that is, apparently EDGE has a source that they feel confident in that that's actually something that's going to be a part of the Durango. With Sony, we have that patent, but no indication either way whether that will actually be a part of the Orbis, which is especially odd considering how much other information has leaked about it before the upcoming announcement on the 20th. If that patent were to actually be a part of the Orbis, it would figure that it would have leaked with all that other stuff, but it didn't.

Of course, I'm not entirely sure I believe EDGE's source, as this really would be a big move that could just as easily end up hurting Microsoft (of course, then again, the Xbox itself started off as a risky idea, and the entire concept of Windows 8 is pretty much a risk, so it's not like Microsoft is unfamiliar with the idea), but all I'm trying to say is that this is an actual rumor (as in, someone apparently told EDGE, who they trust, that this is actually part of Durango), whereas there aren't any rumors for the PS4 right now (there's that patent, but there aren't any rumors either way about whether that will actually be a part of the Orbis. There's speculation stemming from the patent, but that's it--unlike this situation, no one's actually claimed to know anything either way about that--that's all I meant in my post).

Trust, Me I Got This
02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm willing to bet my grandmother on the fact that neither consoles feature any technology that stops used games.

Shiron
02-07-2013, 01:41 AM
I would, but then again, the idea of not only having only one system charging for online access, and that system not only not being hurt by that at all, but actually thriving sounded like a crazy idea once upon a time as well, so I've become real hesitant to write this kinda thing off. And even though we're talking about something that would absolutely suck here, that's still what makes this so fun--not having any idea what's going to happen, that is, and having all of this kind of stuff pop up. I'm not going to have the funds to partake in this upcoming rodeo myself, but I'm still more than ready to go along for the ride~

Hartross
02-07-2013, 01:44 AM
I probably won't be getting one until a year or two after they've already been released. Far to expensive trying to keep up to date with my consoles. I only got my ps3 about 6 months ago

Wallace
02-07-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm willing to bet my grandmother on the fact that neither consoles feature any technology that stops used games.

I'm willing to bet that BOTH consoles feature technology that stops used games. However, I'm willing to bet that it will be the developer's option to use the technology. Therefore, I'm certain 1st party games will suffer with the technology. You know like Little Big Planet and Halo.

However, this technology makes me want to stick with PC more and more. Of course today most PC games can't be resold. This is the one thing that the console has the advantage over the PC.. Take that advantage away and I honestly don't see why I would play a console game.

Then again, what do they plan to do in markets like Germany where I've heard over Raidcall they are fighting steam for the right to sell game licenses?

Trust, Me I Got This
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Even if this technology to stop used games was introduced, I wouldn't really care. I never buy used unless the game is from 4-5 years ago and nearly impossible to find brand new. Not to mention places like GameStop rip you off when you trade in a game, usually giving you like half of what they are going to re-sell it for.

DNAbro
02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
PS4 Controller (or at least the dev controller)
http://www.abload.de/img/1d2kkl.jpg

DrewStern
02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Eew. It feels like a dumbed down WiiU controller.

Shiron
02-14-2013, 09:38 PM
^It... looks pretty much like a DualShock with an added touchpad to me.

Baltes
02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Touchpad? Looks more like a archaic LED clock display

Shiron
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
It's definitely supposed to be a touchpad though:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513399

Trust, Me I Got This
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with that controller. It's a dualshock with a touch pad. I'd much prefer that over that big clunky Wii U controller.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
The GamePad is amazing, though~ It's bringing out the real multitasker in me! xD It's pretty much worked its way into my daily routine. Like, I'll just use it to catch up on YouTube stuff while browsing NeoGAF or TSG on my laptop. Or just do my daily routine of stuff like checking my email on it, doing Swagbucks stuff and my Publishers Clearing House stuff while doing whatever on my laptop. Of course, I suppose I could do the same kind of thing if I had an iPad or something, but I don't, so this has been working out pretty nicely for me~

Also, Off-TV play has been a pretty cool feature, as I really am... a bit of a night-owl, and so it was great actually being able to just put on a pair of headphones and plop things like Skylanders Giants down onto the GamePad and being able to keep playing it at night, instead of having to play it muted/with the sound way down low on my television so as to not risk waking up/disturbing my folks or something.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Off TV play doesn't appeal to me. Especially because I always use a headset when I'm playing, so wake up people isn't a problem. Not to mention console games were made to be enjoyed on a big screen, not a small one.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

DNAbro
02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Sadly i have only been using Wii U as a youtube machine (which the browser does an AMAZING job at). I want Sony to make me want the PS4. If they do the same job Nintendo did (which in retrospect was god awful) It will be a while before I pick it up. Only reason the Wii U was picked up is because I am a huge fanboy.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Considering most of Sony's first party developers are very silent on what they are doing, it's safe to assume that they are aim aiming for a big launch.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
02-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Silent? I wouldn't quite say that...
Sony Santa Monica: Finishing up God of War: Ascension. Have no idea if they have multiple teams and are working on something else as well, but even if they do, I'm not expecting anything big or it to be coming too soon.
Naughty Dog: One of their teams is doing The Last of Us. The other one's probably working on some kind of PS4 project though.
Polyphony Digital: Obviously working on the next Gran Turismo game, which will definitely not make launch.
Media Molecule: Know that they're working on that Tearaway game for the Vita. Think they also have a team working on something else though, which will likely be a LittleBigPlanet title for the PS4.
Quantic Dream (not really Sony, but still): Working on Beyond: Two Souls right now.
Team ICO: Still chugging away at The Last Guardian
SCEJ: Working on stuff like Puppeteer and Rain for the PS3.

So, as far as fist-party Sony stuff on the PS4 goes, the stuff I'm expecting around launch I suppose would be:
-New IP from Naughty Dog's other team (that, or them doing an Uncharted 4. Whatever).
-New LittleBigPlanet game of some sort from Media Molecule
-Maaaaaaybe some kind of early demo-thing for Gran Turismo 6, but probably not.
-And probably some whatever-the-PS4's-version-of-PSN-will-be games made by their smaller teams.
-Oh, and apparently there's a rumor going around that Guerrilla Games are working on Killzone 4 for it I believe, which would make sense and probably be true.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Media Molecule are not doing LBP any more though.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Ah, right. In any case, expecting this event to mostly focus on the hardware itself and for Sony to save a lot of the game announcements so they have something left for E3.

Baltes
02-16-2013, 02:58 AM
So I've been digging around for info on that controller, and most of the info suggests that it is NOT any sort of screen, think the vita touch pad with some sort of minimal u.i or HUD functionality is what it looks like, until someone posted on GAmetrailers with newer high res pics of the controller today and they said "The triggers are much more similar to the Xbox 360 'springy' triggers. That's a microphone (similar to VITA, Wii U) and that is also a headset port. Touch screen is resistive display, single touch, used for battery levels, friend lists, mini u.i blah blah. Taken a while ago, only had access to it via someone else."

Trust, Me I Got This
02-16-2013, 04:15 AM
Hence why I referred to it earlier as a touch pad.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Baltes
02-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Considering most of Sony's first party developers are very silent on what they are doing, it's safe to assume that they are aim aiming for a big launch.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

the devs are really doing a good job of keeping their own projects under wraps. It's quiet...too quiet...

Trust, Me I Got This
02-16-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm hoping the silence means they are going to try and break the video game curse of bad launh line ups.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

DNAbro
02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
As far as games go people are expecting an announcement from Guerrilla Games for Killzone 4 or their new IP.
There could be the new Sucker Punch game.
Evolution Studios with new Motorstorm or new IP.
Media Molecule is teasing a new game which is most likely a new IP.

There are rumors that something Final Fantasy related will appear. Haven't heard anything about other 3rd party games.

Really hoping they blow us all away on the 20th.

Baltes
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

DNAbro
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I actually think that may be possible. Would explain it's disappearance quite nicely.

Shiron
02-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Nah. The reason Versus disappeared was due to whole FFXIV fiasco and Square-Enix investing a tremendous amount of their resources into ARR, and with those people working on ARR (and those that were left being occupied by things like the FF XIII sequels and other games that happened in the interim like KH 3D, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, DQX (and being another MMO, this must have also consumed a good amount of resources), the 3DS DQ game ports and such), leaving pretty much nothing left for Versus, forcing it onto the backburner:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484892

Really have no clue what that means for Versus in any case and what form it will show up in if it doesn't just get outright cancelled, but I wouldn't expect it to be some surprise PS4 launch game or anything, as the reason we haven't heard much about it is pretty clearly that Square-Enix overloaded themselves and just haven't been able to do much work on it because they were too busy with other things.

DNAbro
02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
That doesn't really mean that development was taken away from other games, just FFXIVARR is taking a lot of money and resources. (Which i highly doubt they can recoup on) To think that Square Enix doesn't have something huge prepared for next-gen is kind of silly. Maybe we will see that Agni's Philosophy demo is actually FF XV. Also just to add to more rumors, there have been some saying that Versus has been changed to XV.

Just hope to see something FF related.

And just throwing this out, maybe something related to Metal Gear Solid 5? or that Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain stuff.

Muzy72
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
so rumor has it that PS4's BC solution is streaming your games...

If i can't play all my PS3 retail games for free on the PS4 I'm going to be pissed.

DNAbro
02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Something tells me you are going to be very disappointed. I wouldn't be shocked if they locked the streaming behind PS+ as well. Their definitely won't be regular BC thanks to PS3's hardware architecture.

Shiron
02-16-2013, 03:28 PM
That doesn't really mean that development was taken away from other games, just FFXIVARR is taking a lot of money and resources. (Which i highly doubt they can recoup on) To think that Square Enix doesn't have something huge prepared for next-gen is kind of silly. Maybe we will see that Agni's Philosophy demo is actually FF XV. Also just to add to more rumors, there have been some saying that Versus has been changed to XV.

Just hope to see something FF related.

And just throwing this out, maybe something related to Metal Gear Solid 5? or that Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain stuff.
Eh, it just seems unlikely to me. Of course it's possible that they were maintaining a sizable team for Versus as well on top of everything else, but it just seems unlikely to me as these companies don't have unlimited resources and the game simply being mostly put on the backburner due to its resources being taken up by other projects would fit as a much more logical explanation as to why we haven't see anything than a game that was announced as a PS3 game and been in development forever now in that case being moved to a platform with zero-install base and thus be much less likely to make back those dev costs than simply keeping it on the PS3. It just wouldn't be a logical move to move a project that's been in development for an established and successful platform for so long which it would be able to do well enough on to a platform that its anyone's guess what will happen with and could bomb as hard as the Wii U is right now for anyone knows (of course, probably not, but still). There's no need to take that kind of risk with a project unnecessarily, so the backburner explanation just makes a whole lot more sense to me (there's a reason when they delayed it that it's the PS3 and 360 Ubisoft is porting Rayman Legends to, instead of "unannounced platforms").

Now that most of the work with the XIV and the XII games are done, I of course believe that Square-Enix would have begun to move onto next-gen efforts like KHIII and FF XV, but I'm expecting them have only being able to have started on such things fairly recently, so while they definitely are working on such projects, I'm not expecting them anywhere close to the launch of the PS4 or anything.

----------------------------------------------------

As for the streaming stuff, no way will it be offered for free at all: Sony will want to make back that investment they put into Gaikai and they can't do that by offering such a thing for free. It will use some kind of Onlive or Netflix type model (especially since there's no way the primary intent of this is just to be for playing PS3 games on the PS4, but instead being some kind of expanson of the PS Suite idea or something and letting you play these games on all kinds of devices, not just the PS4. Of course, that's not part of the rumor itself, but again, Sony's going to want to make their money back on this, and I can't really seeing them doing that by having it purely be about playing PS3 games on the PS4), which will probably be separate from PS+ (unless PS+ becomes some kind of tiered service or something).

Also, due to licensing and such, no way will it have the complete PS3 back-catalog, especially 3rd party games (that is, it will start off like PS One Classics on the PSN and such--starting off with a limited library, which expands over time, but will never be complete or anything).

Trust, Me I Got This
02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Not sure what the big fuss about backwards comparability is. 90% of PS3's out there aren't backwards comparable, not to mention that I'd rather play a game on the console it was made for.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Muzy72
02-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Not sure what the big fuss about backwards comparability is. 90% of PS3's out there aren't backwards comparable, not to mention that I'd rather play a game on the console it was made for.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Well, I only have so much space in my entertainment center. If I can't play all my PS3 games, then I'm not buying the PS4 for a looooong time. My PS3 library is too important to me.

Plus, my plan has been to sell my PS3 to afford a PS4. Can't sell it if I can't play PS3 games anymore.

DNAbro
02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
1 more day.

HYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPEEEEEE

diddyknux
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm not gonna hype for something that I think is premature. But I've already given my reasons, so I'll stop there.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
So it's premature for Sony or Microsoft to release a new console, but not Nintendo?

Muzy72
02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
So it's premature for Sony or Microsoft to release a new console, but not Nintendo?
I think we all know Wii was in desperate need of a replacement :lol:

Trust, Me I Got This
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
But the PS3 doesn't? It's architecture is archaic and not development friendly.

Muzy72
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
But the PS3 doesn't? It's architecture is archaic and not development friendly.
Oh, I'm definitely in the camp that believes PS3 and 360 need to be replaced ASAP. They've hit their limits. And we know for a fact that next gen will be bringing huge upgrades thanks to watch_dogs alone.

Wallace
02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
If the new playstation doesnt work as a deep fryer and a console I don't want it

16BitGeek
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
If the new playstation doesnt work as a deep fryer and a console I don't want it

Agreed, I wanna make fried chicken and play games at the same time.

diddyknux
02-20-2013, 12:27 AM
I'm speaking more to the economic aspect of it. People can't afford 500 dollar systems or 70 dollar games. But, I admit my fear is just based on "could be," not "will be." I mostly want to hear about what games will cost in coming years. And if I'm wrong, and things don't raise at all (like I said before, $60 is already pushing it), I'll happily admit I was wrong and get hype myself.

However, I disagree with the fact that the PS3 and 360 are tapped out. (Well, maybe the 360 is. I honestly don't know). A FEW games pushing the limits of what they can do, is not the same thing as being tapped out. Just my opinion, though. And it could be wrong, too, I don't know much about tech.

Wallace
02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Diddy,

Nintendo was released 1983 (We'll start there from the golden days, screw everything that came before)
SNES 1990, 8 year gap
Playstation 1994
Sega Saturn 1994
Nintendo 64 1996
Dreamcast 1998
Gamecube 2001
Playstation 2 2000 (6 year gap from Playstation)
Playstation 3 2006
Wii 2006
Xbox 360 2005

--

Going by sheer numbers.. They are all ready to be replaced. Phones technology is doubling in power every 6 months, and selling for around $700 without a contract. Of course who gets one without a contract? PC technology is far more powerful then console technology, and it consistently increases in power.

PC gaming is becoming more and more popular because the consoles can't keep up with the technology. Of course nobody wants to buy a $300+ console every year or even 2 years.. but to keep going they all need replaced. Sure devs can continue to make some amazing looking games, but without something new and more powerful to keep people's interest it's not going to last.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm speaking more to the economic aspect of it. People can't afford 500 dollar systems or 70 dollar games. But, I admit my fear is just based on "could be," not "will be." I mostly want to hear about what games will cost in coming years. And if I'm wrong, and things don't raise at all (like I said before, $60 is already pushing it), I'll happily admit I was wrong and get hype myself.

However, I disagree with the fact that the PS3 and 360 are tapped out. (Well, maybe the 360 is. I honestly don't know). A FEW games pushing the limits of what they can do, is not the same thing as being tapped out. Just my opinion, though. And it could be wrong, too, I don't know much about tech.
$60 and $70 for games are not pushing it and $500 is not a crazy insane amount for a system.

Muzy72
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

$60 and $70 for games are not pushing it and $500 is not a crazy insane amount for a system.
Oh shush you, you're from Australia, the land of ridiculous prices :P

DNAbro
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
It's so close. Hype is killing me quickly ;-;

Also quick prediction time of what we will actually see.
Actual console and user interface.
Some new eyetoy/move thingy.
Some new PS+ thing.
Sucker Punch new IP or Infamous 3.(i want it but 2 kind of finished it off)
Guerrilla Games game, probably Killzone 4.
Evolution Studios new IP.
Agni's Philosophy demo.
Watch Dogs
Gaikai streaming talk.

Muzy72
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
45 minutes!! Too bad I'll be at work during the announcement :(

DrewStern
02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
So it is official! Playstation 4 with HDD and Dualshock 4!

Alison
02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Here we have it!! Looks powerful, obviously.

Unless I missed it, still haven't heard a release date.

So they're basically eliminating having to wait for downloads. That'd be nice. Man I wonder what Microsoft will do in this position.

Sonic62
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Playstation 4, coming Holiday 2013. Did they ever show the actual console?

Sangome
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
That *buffer* conference *buffer* surely was something *OFFLINE*

And no, we never did see the console. Just the controller...

DNAbro
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
It's so close. Hype is killing me quickly ;-;

Also quick prediction time of what we will actually see.
Actual console and user interface.
Some new eyetoy/move thingy.
Some new PS+ thing.
Sucker Punch new IP or Infamous 3.(i want it but 2 kind of finished it off)
Guerrilla Games game, probably Killzone 4.
Evolution Studios new IP.
Agni's Philosophy demo.
Watch Dogs
Gaikai streaming talk.

MISS
CLOSe
MISS
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

I feel like i am one of the few people i saw on twitter who liked most of what they saw. Only things that were really didn't like were Media Molecule's freaking odd demo and Square Enix's E3 tease. Still need to see more though.

lionheart91
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I didn't see the conference, but I am pretty excited from the news i've read. Infamous: Second Son looks great, Killzone is going to be awesome, and I feel like we may finally get to see Versus XIII be released. All that is needed is Uncharted 4 and i'll buying the PS4 Day 1.

Baltes
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I haven't been this uninterested in a console since...ever
i'll probably get this over the 360, but there's nothing that screams I need to have this day 1, from what i've seen my PC is already cranking out this experience.

Muzy72
02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Haven't seen the press conference yet, but all the new features sound exciting! Probably won't get the system at launch, as Wii U and 3DS will keep me busy, but I look forward to seeing more at E3 :D

Shiron
02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
i'll probably get this over the 360, but there's nothing that screams I need to have this day 1, from what i've seen my PC is already cranking out this experience.
Pretty sure your PC doesn't have 8 GB GDDR5 RAM (http://kotaku.com/5985769/the-ps4s-specs-in-brief). Granted, that's unified and we don't know how much of that is reserved for the OS and whatever, but still. Of course, on the other hand, your CPU is likely on par or better than the one in the PS4, so I suppose that's a wash.

In any case though, the thing that really interests me about the PS4 is all the sharing/social options. Not only do you have the option to stream your gameplay to your friends at any time (which is pretty nice in its own right--check out your friends list and see that a friend is playing a game that you're interested in/had never heard of before? You can easily watch them as they're playing through it without them needing any special hardware or capture card or anything, which could quite easily end up helping when you're on the fence about purchasing a particular game, as not only do you have easy access to gameplay footage, but it's footage of your friends playing the game in particular), but if you and your friends are playing the same game or something, and you end up getting stuck on some stupid section of a game (like say... that stupid ice cream mini-game in Ven's story in KH:BBS. Or the stupid Nintendo Coin in DK64. Or heck, even something like getting to the moon in FFIV and not feeling like dealing with the stupid grind the game wants you to do there, but a friend has nothing better to do and is willing to do that for you, because they're just awesome like that), but they excel at it, you can relinquish control of your game to them and let them control it remotely and get you through that part, instead of you entirely quitting the game in frustration or something.

I'm not sure about you, but that's pretty much been a dream-feature in video game consoles forever now for me, personally, as especially in more recent games, I've had moments where I just end up getting stuck on some stupid-little required mini-game or something in a game that's preventing me from making progress (like that stupid BBS mini-game I mentioned, or some of the silly little ones they force you to do in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and stuff like that, which has nothing to do with the rest of the game, but still blocks you from making any more progress anyway because of how those games stupidly require you to do that kind of junk sometimes), and just being able to connect to a friend and have them help me to get past those parts so I don't have to quit playing the entire game due to them just sounds amazing to me.

Of course, on the actual software front, I'm not really seeing anything that interests me so far, but I didn't really expect to--I expected this event to mostly focus on the hardware and have the games left for E3, so just seeing some of the things we already have, like Capcom's in-progress game, was kind of a surprise to me. But in any case, E3 definitely seems to be where the cool stuff will be shown (as note, as expected, we didn't hear a peep about what Naughty Dog's other team is working on at this event), so I'm not that worried over that yet.

Baltes
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Pretty sure your PC doesn't have 8 GB GDDR5 RAM (http://kotaku.com/5985769/the-ps4s-specs-in-brief). Granted, that's unified and we don't know how much of that is reserved for the OS and whatever, but still. Of course, on the other hand, your CPU is likely on par or better than the one in the PS4, so I suppose that's a wash.

In any case though, the thing that really interests me about the PS4 is all the sharing/social options. Not only do you have the option to stream your gameplay to your friends at any time (which is pretty nice in its own right--check out your friends list and see that a friend is playing a game that you're interested in/had never heard of before? You can easily watch them as they're playing through it without them needing any special hardware or capture card or anything, which could quite easily end up helping when you're on the fence about purchasing a particular game, as not only do you have easy access to gameplay footage, but it's footage of your friends playing the game in particular), but if you and your friends are playing the same game or something, and you end up getting stuck on some stupid section of a game (like say... that stupid ice cream mini-game in Ven's story in KH:BBS. Or the stupid Nintendo Coin in DK64. Or heck, even something like getting to the moon in FFIV and not feeling like dealing with the stupid grind the game wants you to do there, but a friend has nothing better to do and is willing to do that for you, because they're just awesome like that), but they excel at it, you can relinquish control of your game to them and let them control it remotely and get you through that part, instead of you entirely quitting the game in frustration or something.

I'm not sure about you, but that's pretty much been a dream-feature in video game consoles forever now for me, personally, as especially in more recent games, I've had moments where I just end up getting stuck on some stupid-little required mini-game or something in a game that's preventing me from making progress (like that stupid BBS mini-game I mentioned, or some of the silly little ones they force you to do in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and stuff like that, which has nothing to do with the rest of the game, but still blocks you from making any more progress anyway because of how those games stupidly require you to do that kind of junk sometimes), and just being able to connect to a friend and have them help me to get past those parts so I don't have to quit playing the entire game due to them just sounds amazing to me.

Of course, on the actual software front, I'm not really seeing anything that interests me so far, but I didn't really expect to--I expected this event to mostly focus on the hardware and have the games left for E3, so just seeing some of the things we already have, like Capcom's in-progress game, was kind of a surprise to me. But in any case, E3 definitely seems to be where the cool stuff will be shown (as note, as expected, we didn't hear a peep about what Naughty Dog's other team is working on at this event), so I'm not that worried over that yet.

and my gpu is the exact same, or a few steps up, i'm rated for more tflops
i'm playing crysis 3 on max no problems, it's gorgeous

but yeah, the GDDR5, THAT is an impressive spec, and that will definitely help this console to stand apart from PC's for awhile.

kmmgreen5
02-20-2013, 11:18 PM
and my gpu is the exact same, or a few steps up, i'm rated for more tflops
i'm playing crysis 3 on max no problems, it's gorgeous

but yeah, the GDDR5, THAT is an impressive spec, and that will definitely help this console to stand apart from PC's for awhile.

:what: crysis on full

Trust, Me I Got This
02-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I liked every single thing that was announced/shown today. A lot of hate that I have seen have been coming from the Nintendo side of things, which is strange, considering I thought Microsoft would be bitching the most.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Same here--even stuff like the Media Molecule tech demo thing seemed kind of interesting to me (it's probably not something I'd use personally, but still, just imagining the type of things you could create with a tool like that is pretty cool). As for the Nintendo stuff, well, I must admit myself that Miiverse looks like a complete joke now, with what the PS4 is aiming to have. Who cares about sharing comments or whatever to your friends when you can stream actual gameplay instead, hand over remote control of it to them, and upload a bit of that to YouTube or whatever afterwards? Nintendo just got smoked, as far as that kind of thing is concerned.

But in any case, yeah, Sony really did great, IMO.

Baltes
02-21-2013, 01:10 AM
ustream though....ugh lol

Trust, Me I Got This
02-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Ustream is better than nothing. Not to mention that inbuilt recording allows every to capture game footage and we may actually see an end to all the rubbish camcorder LP's.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Masamune
02-21-2013, 05:01 AM
focus on social gaming, what i don't want people watching me play whenever they want stop that

conference was meh, no games, new infamous had the most EDGY introduction ever, touch pad on the controller what

Trust, Me I Got This
02-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Was that even English?

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Masamune
02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
it was klingon

anyway i suppose this is the point where i should start buying up ps3 games i want

GrimsChild
02-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Between the overstating of the important of social media juxtaposed with psuedo-intellectual ramblings about the state of our Orwellian society along with recycled game footage so the FF brand designer could walk out and spout lines like a corperate puppet (not unlike the ACTUAL puppets in the show) and the amazing technology to create an animated head that looks almost as unrealistic as David Cage does in real list makes this a cringe worthy spectacle that's Microsoft going to struggle to top at this year's E3 (Another note: The Witness reminded me of 3DGH in terms of setting, doubt it will be as good)

And all they had to do for me to forgive them was talk about The Last Guardian...

Wallace
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Well, after doing some research it appears there will be no deep fryer built into the PS4. This is quite disappointing. If console companies really want to maximize the gaming experience, the player should not have to have a separate device to deep fry their snacks. It's just a logical progression.

Muzy72
02-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
PS4 also enables games to be downloaded or updated in the background, or even in stand-by mode. The system takes it one step further by making digital titles playable as they are being downloaded. When a player purchases a game, PS4 downloads just a fraction of the data so gamers can start playing immediately, and the rest is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay.

This and 8GB GDDR5 RAM is what sold me on the system.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Background downloading is amazing. No longer do we have to sit around not playing anything while we download something huge, but then Sony went and got amazing and is allowing you to play the game you are downloading, while it is still downloading, which is incredible. I would have only expected them to allow you to play other games while downloading. Also, having 8GB of RAM is freaking nuts!

Shiron
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
The sleep mode definitely sounds amazing to me. Making a home console that finally realizes that real-life might call at any time (and when it does, potentially for an extended period of time), or perhaps you're getting tired playing a long JRPG or something and have no clue where the next save-point is and just want to go to sleep already, and so giving us an option that doesn't involve just leaving the PS4 there, sucking juice and being on for longer sessions than it's meant to be or shutting it off and losing whatever unsaved progress we have? Sleep mode is amazing on portables like the PSP, DS, and 3DS, so I'm glad to see it finally being brought over to home consoles as well.

DrewStern
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Background downloading is amazing. No longer do we have to sit around not playing anything while we download something huge, but then Sony went and got amazing and is allowing you to play the game you are downloading, while it is still downloading, which is incredible. I would have only expected them to allow you to play other games while downloading. Also, having 8GB of RAM is freaking nuts!
The WiiU allows you to put the downloads on the TV while you continue to play. Playing while they download sounds like a cure for impatience...

Muzy72
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Not just 8GB, 8GB of freakin' GDDR5. 176 GB/s _dead_

The WiiU allows you to put the downloads on the TV while you continue to play. Playing while they download sounds like a cure for impatience...
:fail:

Masamune
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
i'm actually kind wary of that pre-downloading - using up my internet for a game that i probably won't play and/or buy? yeah, cheers for that sony

Sangome
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm honestly trying to figure out how playing a game as it's downloading even works...I keep imagining someone playing and then getting to this giant wall of binary numbers where stuff hasn't yet downloaded.

Wallace
02-22-2013, 08:58 AM
i'm actually kind wary of that pre-downloading - using up my internet for a game that i probably won't play and/or buy? yeah, cheers for that sony

I had no Idea what you are talking about. I had to google. http://ps4info.com/2013/02/21/playstati ... rediction/ (http://ps4info.com/2013/02/21/playstation-4-download-prediction/)

Sound terrible! However, it would stand to reason that there will be an option to turn it off in the settings.

zion777
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Not only has Sony convinced me I want a PS4 (through the share button, the ram, and general love for PlayStation), all the features now have me trying to convince all my friends they need one too.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
It's an incentive to buy digital, not a cure for impatience. Why would I but a digital game if I have to wait two hours for it to download when I can go to a store and come home in 30-40 minutes? Sounds like you are clutching at straws to diss Sony, which is something you did throughout the entire conference on Twitter

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Baltes
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
[quote="Trust, Me I Got This":3pzgoohz]Background downloading is amazing. No longer do we have to sit around not playing anything while we download something huge, but then Sony went and got amazing and is allowing you to play the game you are downloading, while it is still downloading, which is incredible. I would have only expected them to allow you to play other games while downloading. Also, having 8GB of RAM is freaking nuts!
It's an incentive to buy digital, not a cure for impatience. Why would I but a digital game if I have to wait two hours for it to download when I can go to a store and come home in 30-40 minutes? Sounds like you are clutching at straws to diss Sony, which is something you did throughout the entire conference on Twitter

[ Post made via iPhone ][/quote:3pzgoohz]

http://www.sowal.com/bb/images/smilies/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

I'd really like to start buying digitally but at the same time I kind of wish I had a box in my bookcase for all my steam games as it is :/

Trust, Me I Got This
02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
As the resident Sony fanboy I have a rep to maintain, Baltes.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

DNAbro
02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I want one(dat new inFamous), but definitely need to see price.

Also the play while downloading sounds like a cool feature. Also didn't they mention that every game will be able to stream a demo?

Baltes
02-22-2013, 09:37 PM

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Yeah we have Tyler for Xbox and you for Sony and all the poor kids for Nintendo (trollface)

Baltes
02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Double post: now that they've announced PSN purchases won't transfer to ps4 I am much less likely to invest during the first few years

Of course I see Sony terminating PSN and screwing me anyway

DrewStern
02-22-2013, 10:05 PM
[quote="Trust, Me I Got This":20u10rw6]Background downloading is amazing. No longer do we have to sit around not playing anything while we download something huge, but then Sony went and got amazing and is allowing you to play the game you are downloading, while it is still downloading, which is incredible. I would have only expected them to allow you to play other games while downloading. Also, having 8GB of RAM is freaking nuts!

[ Post made via iPhone ][/quote:20u10rw6]
I'm not trying to get into a fight here. I don't understand what the hell your saying, I'm saying in the end its the same amount of time but its really just for the impatient.

@baltes Thanks, that was really necessary. -_-

diddyknux
02-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Double post: now that they've announced PSN purchases won't transfer to ps4 I am much less likely to invest during the first few years

Of course I see Sony terminating PSN and screwing me anyway

I would hope that's not the case. They kept supporting the PS2 (through games anyway) well into the PS3's life, so I hope they do the same here. But I don't play online that much anyway (except for SSX) so I could live without.

I feel somewhat better about the PS4 now. Still a bit wary, but better. But I agree with DNAbro, at least a price range (for the system and games) would be nice.

Also, one of the LPers I'm subbed to brought up a good point, and I agree with it. And that is that there's plenty of game's from this generation I'd still like to play, so even if I couldn't get a PS4 right away, I'd still be cool for a good while. So that made me ease up a little.

Baltes
02-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Drew: sorry you're so poor :p hey everybody look at the poor kid, he's so poor!
As far as PSN it is widely accepted that it will shut down eventually, the TOS carefully states that products and services are available only until "end of service" and if you agree to that TOS you are saying you understand you will someday lose access to tht content.
They can't keep it running forever so who knows, there is an odd line as far as how much support to give old hardware vs new. Comparatively, the ps3 did terribly for at least the first half of its life and people stuck with cheaper systems.
As far as the instant thing goes, it is a matter of convenience, we are an instant society, but with average internet speeds in the US being so low being able to download an initial portion of the game and play while the rest downloads is great.
It's similar to games like World of Warcraft, you can download the initial client and files and play while the updates load in the background. Any files you suddenly need while you are playing will be given priority over other files in the download. It's a nice touch and it will encourage people to buy digitally more.
There are economic and environmental benefits to digital downloads. Economically there's no manufacturer, no booklet, box, disc, cart, etc, nobody has to manufacture these, nobody has to ship these, no retailer has to sell these. The impact on those companies themselves is most likely very noticeable but I don't have those numbers. Sony and the publishers definitely profit though. From an environmental standpoint that's a lot less paper and plastic that needs to be manufactured, a lot less waste produced from them being thrown in landfills and such.
Other benefits to digital: no discs to lose or get scratched, etc
I still want boxes for everything though lol.

localretard
02-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Drew: sorry you're so poor :p hey everybody look at the poor kid, he's so poor!
As far as PSN it is widely accepted that it will shut down eventually, the TOS carefully states that products and services are available only until "end of service" and if you agree to that TOS you are saying you understand you will someday lose access to tht content.
They can't keep it running forever so who knows, there is an odd line as far as how much support to give old hardware vs new. Comparatively, the ps3 did terribly for at least the first half of its life and people stuck with cheaper systems.
As far as the instant thing goes, it is a matter of convenience, we are an instant society, but with average internet speeds in the US being so low being able to download an initial portion of the game and play while the rest downloads is great.
It's similar to games like World of Warcraft, you can download the initial client and files and play while the updates load in the background. Any files you suddenly need while you are playing will be given priority over other files in the download. It's a nice touch and it will encourage people to buy digitally more.
There are economic and environmental benefits to digital downloads. Economically there's no manufacturer, no booklet, box, disc, cart, etc, nobody has to manufacture these, nobody has to ship these, no retailer has to sell these. The impact on those companies themselves is most likely very noticeable but I don't have those numbers. Sony and the publishers definitely profit though. From an environmental standpoint that's a lot less paper and plastic that needs to be manufactured, a lot less waste produced from them being thrown in landfills and such.
Other benefits to digital: no discs to lose or get scratched, etc
I still want boxes for everything though lol.
PSN is the same as any other digital distributor. Meaning you're not buying the actual game, just a subscription to play the game. This is true for Steam, Origin, Onlive, Gaikai...etc. It's a bit more hazy for Steam and Origin since the games are actually installed on your PC, but they can terminate your account and effectively renders those games useless. Always read the ToS. The inclusion of any such provision is not the evidence for inevitable closure, just a way to cover their own butt if they do close it.

Now let's clarify the subject of PSN purchases not transferring. The accurate statement was that PSN games won't be NATIVELY supported on the PS4, but they are looking at other routes. This means they will either have to resort to streaming or emulation, but I don't think this will be resolved by launch. I also don't think they will screw you over and make you pay for the game again either since they said: "We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans, and we haven't decided."
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/

@Drewstern: I think we're all confused about your stance on background downloading. I'm not sure if you understand how the PS4's background downloading differs from the Wii U's. The Wii U allows you to go purchase a game, let's say "The Cave", and allow it to download in the background while you play another game like NSMBU. The PS4 will allow you to go purchase "The Cave" and begin playing it while it's still downloading. No need to play NSMBU while you wait. Like Baltes said, this has been common practice by Blizzard for WoW, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2. This isn't a "cure for impatience", but a smart marketing strategy aimed to make their digital presence stand out from the competitors.

I see the digital sales being decided by game performance, console specific features, and console loyalties. There is a trend rapidly evolving with consoles though, you'd have to be blind to miss it, in which everyone wants to be on the same playing field with features and services. They are "borrowing" from each other earlier in the life cycle with each console iteration. So I think by mid life of this next generation console loyalty will be the only deciding factor.

Baltes
02-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Btw in case I need to clarify, judging from the amount of Nintendo systems I own (all of them) I'm the true poor kid in that scenario.

Thanks for clearing that statement up local, I should have looked into it further.

And idk if you remember local, but I lost a few hundred dollars when my first STEAM account got banned. Lesson learned, valve doesn't care what the reason for anything is, their decision is final 99.9% of the time.
At least they are cool enough to let you start another account on the same email.

Wallace
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Yeah we have Tyler for Xbox and you for Sony and all the poor kids for Nintendo (trollface)
Dang, why do I have to only like what I like and have almost no brand loyalty?

DNAbro
02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I found this video to be very insightful when it came to announcement. Probably pinpoints why so many people felt a bit underwhelmed. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4 ... -takeaways (http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4np/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-takeaways)

Trust, Me I Got This
02-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Local, you're so wise, like a miniature Buddha covered in hair.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Hartross
02-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Okay am I the only one that found it funny the PS4 "unveiling" conference didn't even have a PS4 there. Also Sony if I wanted to look at your stupid controller I'd get some duct tape, tape the middle of a PS1 dual shock controller and pretend it was a touch screen. Not impressed by that conference at all. Moreso it will probably be cheaper to build a gaming PC from scratch with better specs than the PS4 than what Sony will be selling it for on launch.

Trust, Me I Got This
02-24-2013, 02:46 AM
Who gives a fuck what it looks like?

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Baltes
02-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Everyone forgets the WiiU unveiling lol. Hell we got more information from the Sony conference then we did from the Nintendo conference As far as the specifications go. What it looks like isn't as relevant as what's inside.

Wallace
02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Everyone forgets the WiiU unveiling lol. Hell we got more information from the Sony conference then we did from the Nintendo conference As far as the specifications go. What it looks like isn't as relevant as what's inside.

But it needs to look good! It is a decorative piece in your living room (or bedroom) after all. I know if I had one it would do what all consoles do.. sit and collect dust while I play PC.

Baltes
02-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Time for you to upgrade your gfx card Wallace!

Trust, Me I Got This
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
You can't play Ni no Kuni on your PC.

diddyknux
02-25-2013, 01:12 AM

But it needs to look good! It is a decorative piece in your living room (or bedroom) after all. I know if I had one it would do what all consoles do.. sit and collect dust while I play PC.

You'd spring for a pink PS4, right? I'll bet it'd really bring the room's decour together.

Hartross
02-25-2013, 03:15 AM
You can't play Ni no Kuni on your PC.
Touché that you can't. Speaking of which I need to find some time to finish that game

Wallace
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM

It's true, this next generation of consoles will push gaming to it's limits and my PC will have to be upgraded to keep up.

Baltes
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM

It's true, this next generation of [strike:1m64aj3r]consoles[/strike:1m64aj3r] graphics cards will push gaming to it's limits and my PC will have to be upgraded to keep up.

FTFY

DNAbro
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
So how much are you guys willing to pay for this atm? $399 is my limit atm.

Also changed the title of the thread. :P

Muzy72
02-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Holiday 2013, not winter :P

DNAbro
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Holiday 2013, not winter :P

Same thing >_>

Trust, Me I Got This
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm willing to pay as much as it costs.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

DNAbro
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Reviving this topic again, currently I am leaning towards getting a PS4 over Xbox One and a Wii U. Just seems much more appealing.

Also the teaser for the actual console
[ytube:3togm16y]gdRgCQhOTco[/ytube:3togm16y]

diddyknux
05-24-2013, 10:18 PM
I'll probably end up getting a PS4 and a Wii U. But not for awhile, yet. If the PSX and PS2 were any indication, Sony will still have some support for the PS3 for awhile after the PS4 launches.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-12-2013, 01:21 AM
So what games are people panning on picking up when they get the console? At the moment I'm pretty much 100% set on getting Knack and Watch_Dogs when I pick up the PS4.

Amaterasu
06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
If I get my PS4 at launch, Watch Dogs for sure. I'm on the fence about Knack. Other than that, I don't know what titles are available at launch.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-12-2013, 01:36 AM
The launch titles currently announced are; Watch_Dogs, Knack, Drive Club, Kill Zone: Shadow Fall, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, Call of Duty: Ghosts and probably quite a few other 3rd party games like Assassins Creed 4 and Battlefield 4, but as we don't know the consoles release date we can't really say yet.

This launch has also brought up a bit of conflict. I probably wont get my PS4 until Christmas, meaning NBA 2K14 and Madden 25 (I'm a sports fan, shoot me) will have already been out for a while, and I have no idea whether to buy them for PS3 or wait for PS4. At least Madden is released in August, so I'll probably get that for PS3 being so far away from the launch, 2K14 on the other hand, I have no idea.

Amaterasu
06-12-2013, 01:45 AM
So then my answer is the same. I do wish Infamous Second Son was a launch title though. :(

And I too probably won't get my PS4 until Christmas time, if I get it this year. I'm still debating whether I want this or the Wii U...

Trust, Me I Got This
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
So then my answer is the same. I do wish Infamous Second Son was a launch title though. :(

And I too probably won't get my PS4 until Christmas time, if I get it this year. I'm still debating whether I want this or the Wii U...
I didn't know Second Son wasn't a launch title until about 2 hours ago lol, I was just convinced that since the other PS4 games revealed at the PS4 event were launch games, that Second Son would just follow suit.

Amaterasu
06-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Second Son used to be a launch title, actually, according to this (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/22/infamous-second-son-is-a-ps4-launch-title-says-sucker-punch-dev/). That's not the case anymore, unfortunately.

diddyknux
06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
A lunch title? Kind of weird but, okay...

Its a cool launch lineup, but I still don't plan on getting a PS4 right away. I'll probably get a Wii U first.

DNAbro
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I'll probably pick one up when Destiny comes out if I have money at that time. Destiny, Infamous, FFXV, and KH3 are my most wanted games.

Amaterasu
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
A lunch title? Kind of weird but, okay...

Whoops! That's what happens when I type when I'm half asleep, I make stupid typos like that.

DNAbro
06-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Okay i might pick it up sooner. I kind of really really really want it at launch. Need to see if i will have money then though lol.

also this.
http://i.minus.com/ib2pFqqoYTh8AY.gif

Looks soooooo good. I can't believe it's in game.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't think anyone would've thought the new Infamous would look like that, considering the first two weren't really graphical powerhouses.

Muzy72
06-24-2013, 12:35 AM
So looks like I'm getting a PS4 at launch. Any ideas on what launch games I should get? I know I'm getting one of the NBA games, haven't decided which, but not sure what other games to get.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-24-2013, 12:38 AM
So looks like I'm getting a PS4 at launch. Any ideas on what launch games I should get? I know I'm getting one of the NBA games, haven't decided which, but not sure what other games to get.
Save your self the trouble and just pick 2K14 over Live 14. The Live series is trash.

Watch_Dogs would be a good launch title to pick up, or if you're interested in Ratchet & Clank style play Knack looks like it'll be good fun.

MalkanorBek
06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
I'd love to get the PS4 at launch, but I don't think I'd have enough money to want to invest into it. I was debating getting a Wii U for the longest time (which I eventually got many months later). I'll wait for a few RPGs to come out and then buy it in a heart beat.

DNAbro
08-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Still debating on getting a ps4 or wii u first. even with the price drop every time is see infamous second son i get so hyped.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3803/9594432111_63a19f3738_o.gif

I MEAN JUST LOOK AT IT!

knarfelyk
09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I MEAN JUST LOOK AT IT!

I CANT STOP LOOKING AT IT! I haven't really played console games (except a bit of the 3DS) in like a year or so, but I think I may have to get a PS4 to get Infamous, FFXV, and KH3.

DrewStern
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Does anybody know if I preorder from Walmart whether or not I can pick it up at midnight!

DrewStern
09-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Hate to double post and bump but I saw the menu and it doesn't look half bad. Still need to work up the balls to wall to Walmart and pick it up.

caramelslice
11-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Went to the San Francisco launch event with two friends. None of us were lucky enough to score a free PS4 during the raffles, but my friend did win God of War Ascension along with a nifty-looking skateboard deck - 2 of 120 apparently. I was waiting to play Knack behind Naomi Kyle, and when they had to get a new group of people in to try the demos, Naomi asked them to let me stay longer since I just got my hands on the controller. One of my friends wouldn't let that go since he wants to get into journalism for gaming, and I guess he's a fan of hers.

Knack was quite fun to play. I actually didn't get a chance to try any PS4 games during E3, so this makes up for it. Fun game mechanics, although it wasn't enough to sway me to buy a PS4 at launch. Not enough interesting launch titles.

zion777
11-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Got my PS4 on launch night, Pretty much love it, but sadly don't know anyone else with one so I can't enjoy mulitplayer as much. Thinking about streaming some with it though.

FlibberMagee
11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Got my PS4 day one, ended up have the red line that indicates overheating and didn't work. Fortunately, someone offered a reservation they couldn't afford, that was so lucky and amazingly nice.
Got an extra controller, Battlefield 4, and Madden along with all the free stuff and Resogun.
Really loving the system, can't wait for more. My PSN name is Jamicov.

[ Post made via iPod ]

zion777
11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Got my PS4 day one, ended up have the red line that indicates overheating and didn't work. Fortunately, someone offered a reservation they couldn't afford, that was so lucky and amazingly nice.
Got an extra controller, Battlefield 4, and Madden along with all the free stuff and Resogun.
Really loving the system, can't wait for more. My PSN name is Jamicov.

[ Post made via iPod ]

Luckily I have not gotten any of the errors. I will prob send you a invite if you can squeeze me into your 2000.

TheSecretStaraptor
11-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I got my PS4 on day one with Killzone Shadow Fall, and also downloaded Resogun, Contrast, and Warframe because they were all free with PSN Plus. Mine's been absolutely flawless so far, and I'm enjoying it very much. You guys can add me on PSN if you want.

zion777
11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Added both of you. Look forward to playing with yall. Hope others get this system and join in soon :)

DNAbro
11-27-2013, 04:51 PM
still need to get one, hopefully this christmas or when i irresponsibly use leftover financial aid. A friend has one though and it's been amazing to play it. Resogun is absolutely fantastic.

DNAbro
12-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Was able to order one off BestBuy and it should be here before Christmas! :D