PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One

DNAbro
05-21-2013, 01:30 PM
So yeah what did you guys think about the reveal? Nothing yet has grabbed my attention due to me not caring about any of the TV options. Apparently Kinect is required and used games require a fee so unless there are some AMAZING (and i mean absolutely mind-blowing games) being shown at E3, I don't see myself picking one up.

Diana3
05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
What I noticed is how fast it is - I hope that's true to life! Switching between things with no wait sounds amazing.

Muzy72
05-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Looks really lame.

#TeamPS4

Amaterasu
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Looks really lame.

#TeamPS4

This sums up my thoughts. I'm not impressed at all; definitely passing on it.

Just gotta hope CAVE releases their shmups elsewhere.

diddyknux
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Looks really lame.

#TeamPS4

That used games fee is something that honestly doesn't surprise me, though with them shutting down the rumors of always online I had some hope. Oh, but WAIT. They didn't say no always online, they just said they wouldn't do it, but they will allow developers to do it if they want, and have even said they do want them to.

Those are my main problems with it, but not my only ones. So yeah, PS4 for me. Hell, I'd even get a Wii U first.

Shiron
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
I did really like how smooth and efficient the switching between TV and video-game stuff was. Unfortunately, then I realized that I don't really watch much TV or anything these days, so it really wouldn't be all that useful to me, I suppose. xD Still though, I did find it interesting and would probably appreciate that if I did watch TV more.

Other than that though, yeah, nothing much caught my interest. Which I suppose works out in my case, because I don't even have the money to get the games I want right now, never mind spending money on new systems. xD Still, I suppose it would only be fair to at least give the until E3 to form my final opinion, but for the time being, yeah, not seeing much that would be worth it for me here.

MalkanorBek
05-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not really into it. All the games or the game feature they showed off did not catch me in the slightest. Personally, I don't want the system at this point. This might be one of the few consoles I'll skip.

Celebeast
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
*Meh*

I saw nothing groundbreaking. Plus I tend to do things like watch TV, play games and listen to music separately. I don't really need the ability to switch instantly between things I do separately.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Looks really lame.

#TeamPS4
This.

DNAbro
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I do have to say I like the design of the controller and I'm sure it will get all of the biggest 3rd party titles.

http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/50/e7/50e7fda2-275a-47d6-9499-6f7b26d05483.jpg?n=XBR_Image3Large.jpg

16BitGeek
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Nothing really impressed me. So right now between PS4 and Xbox One, I'm leaning a lot more towards the PS4.

GrimsChild
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Compare:

Microsoft:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2eptvud.png

Sony:

http://i42.tinypic.com/s0v0cw.png

Trust, Me I Got This
05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
So I just looked into the reveal in more depth and WOW what a lame reveal. I'm a Sony fanboy and all, but this console looks horrid. All this TV crap is stupid as heck, I want a games console not a cable box. Not to mention all those TV features for US channels probably wont even be available here in Australia.

Next we move onto some ridiculous fee for used games, which from the sounds of it means borrowing games from a friend is no longer a thing, and for all we know this fee could extend to using a game on a different account from the same machine. Really stupid stuff. This also probably means that if you buy a game and realize it is total shit (Aliens: Colonial Marines anyone?) and return it, you are probably going to be penalized and get little money back as places like Gamestop will probably need to lower the prices of used games to entice people to purchase them with the added fee, and wont want to be shelling out fair money back to their customers.

As we look at the games, what do we see? A bunch of third party titles that will appear on PS4 and Forza. Was this about Microsoft or EA? Because from the looks of it, it was just EA hyping up their new games.

At the moment, this race is Sony's to lose. I mean, there is a reason that Sony's stocks jumped by 9% after the announcement.

EDIT: OH, and how could I forget the brilliant decision to make Kinect 2 required.

DrewStern
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Is it just me or did Microsoft take about 2 steps back with this new console? Kinect and online requirement? God help us.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
So I just that apparently the way games are registered to discourage used games sales, forces the console to be always online. This console is lame.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Amaterasu
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3645/ps4m.jpg

I find this to be both funny and accurate.

Apple314
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Well. I guess, at the end of the generation, it won't be a case of 'Xbox won'?

But seriously, that reveal... and we thought the WiiU was failing. This has faceplanted before it even started.

So. Pros:
It seems fast
Cons:
No backwards compatibility
Mandatory Kinect
Fee on used games
Always-online
Stupid name

Okay, that was about everything gamers didn't want! Who thought this was a good idea?

Amaterasu
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Well. I guess, at the end of the generation, it won't be a case of 'Xbox won'?

Exactly. As I joked on another forum, "Xbox One? I think Xbox Lost sounds a bit more accurate".

Shiron
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Eh, much, much, soon to be saying stuff like that yet. I mean, I personally don't like the sound of a lot of what I'm hearing, but I definitely don't make any claims to understand how the market as a whole will react to this. I mean, similar things can and were said about the concept of Xbox Live when it was first proposed, but regardless of how people feel about it, over all, people ended up being more than happy to swallow that pill, even though no other system charges for p2p multiplayer, and even many of those who don't like the concept at all were begrudgingly dragged along into it anyway, because their friends ended up getting a 360 and so they had to get Live if they wanted to be able to keep playing with them.

Similarly, many people, myself included, didn't think the concept of tablets would catch on at all, but stuff like the iPad ended up being massively popular and many skeptics, again myself included, ended up coming around on the idea once we got more familiar with them (of course, I still don't actually own any tablets, because I don't have any money, but that's beside the point).

In any case, the point being, even if an idea seems completely ridiculous that doesn't mean that people won't end up eating it up anyway and so it's definitely much too early IMO to say what will end up happening either way, IMO. Maybe people won't like what they hear about the One. Maybe they won't end up caring at all about the negatives. Or maybe they won't like it, but will end up being begrudgingly dragged along to get a One at some point or another anyway simply because of the force of Xbox Live and that being where lots of people's friends are playing games online, same as the 360. Too many possibilities at this point, so it definitely seems far too early to draw any conclusions like that, IMO.

Pretty much, in short, I have no clue what's going to happen and really, on a bit of a side note here, I wouldn't have it any other way, as that's what makes these transitions from one generation to the next so interesting and exciting, IMO--that feeling of not knowing what's going to happen next and just going along for the ride. No clue what will happen here, but I can't wait to see what will end up happening and how this will all turn out. Regardless of what happens, it's definitely interesting times in the industry and I can't wait to see where all thus goes~ :D

Mezix
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Better than the Wii U http://www.the-coli.com/images/smilies/noah.png

kebby129
05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Better than the Wii U http://www.the-coli.com/images/smilies/noah.png
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2270/datassobama.jpg

kebby129
05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
inb4"You know why they call it Xbox one? Because only one is gonna be sold"

MalkanorBek
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
This might be a bit off topic, but right after seeing Microsoft's unveiling, I really wanted a Wii U. And I bought one.

I think Microsoft just boosted Wii U sales.

DNAbro
05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
This might be a bit off topic, but right after seeing Microsoft's unveiling, I really wanted a Wii U. And I bought one.

I think Microsoft just boosted Wii U sales.

I've been debating if I wanted to get a Wii U for myself(brother has one which i use) when I go off to college or wait for next-gen systems, Microsoft's presentation actually has significantly brought my hype down for it's console and even the PS4. New Call of Duty doesn't look like a huge upgrade and it is most likely coming to Wii U. So I'll probably pick up a Wii U after E3, unless i am completely blown away by Sony or Microsoft.

diddyknux
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
A friend at work pointed out to me an even bigger issue with the used games fee. Because game installs are mandatory on the Xbox One to the point that you won't need the disc to play the game, there's no way its gonna be an insubstantial fee, either. Its gonna be pricey.

UPDATE?: HUGE grain of salt considering its Kotaku, but they "confirm" that the used game fee will basically be the same amount as buying the game

Sonic62
05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
inb4"You know why they call it Xbox one? Because only one is gonna be sold"
More like Xbox None! Har har!

Shiron
05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
A friend at work pointed out to me an even bigger issue with the used games fee. Because game installs are mandatory on the Xbox One to the point that you won't need the disc to play the game, there's no way its gonna be an insubstantial fee, either. Its gonna be pricey.

UPDATE?: HUGE grain of salt considering its Kotaku, but they "confirm" that the used game fee will basically be the same amount as buying the game
Why a huge grain of salt and "confirm" with quotes? Not like it's a rumor--it's from an actual interview with Phil Harrison, Microsoft's corporate vice president. If Harrison doesn't have a clue what's going on and is wrong about this, I'm seriously worried about Microsoft... In any case, it's not the site that matters at all, but where they got their information. This checks out, so taking it with a grain of salt just because it's "from Kotaku" makes no sense at all. I mean, I understand having opinions of sites, but I don't think they're so inept that they can't even do interviews right... Definitely don't intend to be mean here and I definitely apologize if I come off that way at all (seriously, we're all friends here <3 ), but just the way that reads to me comes off as kind of weird is what I'm trying to get at, since what really matters in the end isn't which site posted what information, but where these's sites in turn got the info from.

But yeah, in any case, from my understanding, the way it works for retail games is:

On your own personal console:
-The game can be used on any account on that system.

On a friend's system:
-If you sign in under your own gamertag on their system, then you'll still be able to play your game on your system.
-If you want to lend a game to a friend though, and don't give them your gamertag, that won't work on the other hand--even if they have the disc they'd still have to pay the full price of the game to be able to play it under their own gamertag, seemingly effectively killing used games.

Muzy72
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
yeah Harrison himself saying this means its confirmed.

16BitGeek
05-21-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't try to buy used games if I have the opportunity to buy a new copy of the game. But I do borrow games from my friends a lot to try them out, so there's another reason why I'm leaning towards the PS4 right now.

Hartross
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Nothing impressed me at all. The Launch games all suck as well apart from Battlefield but I am getting that on PC.

diddyknux
05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I just don't like Kotaku. But yeah, its stupid.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-22-2013, 12:26 AM
So I'm fucked if I want to buy an old game on the Xbox One. Seriously, what a fuckin joke, if I was to try an buy a copy of a 360 launch title I would only be able to find used copies so unless Microsoft will print their games forever, they aren't getting a cent from me.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

MalkanorBek
05-22-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm never one who buys a new game. When I do, it's usually a game that's 1-2 years old and has dropped significantly in price. I find used games just as good because they are normally in almost perfect condition (especially if you buy the games close to the release date) with at least 10 dollars knocked off the price. Microsoft has just lost me if I have to pay full price for a used game. It's so ridiculous. And I thought it was bad when some PC games only allowed a max of 5 installations.

Sangome
05-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Interesting ideas, but they're shooting themselves in the foot with everything else. Plus I don't really like too many sports games/FPSes and if the conference today was any indication, I am way out of their target demographic.

Now I just really want a Wii U and a PS4, though it'll be a long time before I manage to get either of those.

NicoCW
05-22-2013, 02:08 AM
All of you saying "meh" are just being generous.

That had to have been the worst video game conference I have ever seen. Like, they legitimately screwed up everything they could possibly screw up. It's like it's not even a game console anymore, it's an entertainment platform complete with useless technology.

Call of Duty and Madden were their big selling points and they aren't even exclusives. And about Madden. One, if you're still buying Madden games you need to reevaluate your financial IQ, and two, what's the point of making virtual football more realistic when you can go outside and play football for free?

Anyway, I'll be getting a Wii U later this year. It may only have Pikmin 3, Sonic Lost World, Super Smash Bros. 4 and the next 3D Mario game in terms of what I want, but hell, I'm sure they're gonna be bringing more.

Masamune
05-22-2013, 02:15 AM
watched conference for about 10 minutes before getting bored

oh dear microsoft

[ Post made via Android ]

Trust, Me I Got This
05-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Nico you could apply the whole 'go outside and do it' philosophy to lots if games. Animal Crossing for example, and heck why don't you go outside and catch bugs instead of playing Pokemon?

[ Post made via iPhone ]

localretard
05-22-2013, 08:34 AM
I was talking to Baltes and from what we know so far the console just seems like more of the same. Sure the tech specs are improved but there is nothing innovative or even attempting to be. Microsoft seems to be falling into the middle of the pack and playing it safe, while completely focusing on their demographic. This is a smart move because the sports loving, fps playing, "bro" demographic is very large. This conference wasn't for us, it was for the guys who will always buy an Xbox for one reason or another.

That being said, I'm more interested in the ps4 because at least it's trying to focus on real issues like download times, unfortunately in a rather Orwellian manner. There is no question that it is something we need though. We don't need "snap", kinect gestures, or a share button, but that's how you make something different enough to sell as new.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

untuxable
05-22-2013, 09:21 AM
From a tech perspective, it was somewhat interesting. From a gaming perspective, it was pretty much crap. As a person who bought a 360 to play games, I wasn't impressed with the conference at all. Then I learned about the whole not backwards compatible/only plays new games, and I totally lost all interest in the system. Unless Microsoft realizes the massive mistake they made with those two decisions and somehow reverses them, I will not be getting this system. Ever.

05-22-2013, 10:47 AM
But guys, powerful systems are always the best selling. Also, don't you want to watch tv on your tv? And now you can check to see how many points Master Chief has accumulated on your fantasy league. I expect him to DOMINATE!

NicoCW
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Nico you could apply the whole 'go outside and do it' philosophy to lots if games. Animal Crossing for example, and heck why don't you go outside and catch bugs instead of playing Pokemon?No you can't. I can't battle with those Bugs and level them up. And because Pokemon and Animal Crossing aren't even realistic or use Kinect to emulate the realism. When it comes to football, you can do every single thing in real life that you can in the game, so why even bother paying for virtual football when you can do the real thing outside for free?

ojamamask
05-22-2013, 11:36 AM
From a tech perspective, it was somewhat interesting.
From a tech perspective, it would be more worthwhile to invest in a good PC

I also found a good sum up of the reveal
[youtube:3k1g69o9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw[/youtube:3k1g69o9]

TheSecretStaraptor
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
This pretty much sums it up.

[youtube:3id4hbl9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:3id4hbl9]

05-22-2013, 12:36 PM

[youtube:39ip5fv5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:39ip5fv5]

Needed more DOMINATE!

cHicKeLoR
05-22-2013, 01:38 PM

[youtube:3aqmm3t3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:3aqmm3t3]

hahaha :D I laughed through (almost) the whole thing.

but seriously... I started to watch it and when they started to show television stuff... I skipped through it.. I guess I am just not their target demographic

Amaterasu
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM

[youtube:2l754832]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:2l754832]

I personally preferred the PS4 one, but I still enjoyed this one.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Nico you could apply the whole 'go outside and do it' philosophy to lots if games. Animal Crossing for example, and heck why don't you go outside and catch bugs instead of playing Pokemon?No you can't. I can't battle with those Bugs and level them up. And because Pokemon and Animal Crossing aren't even realistic or use Kinect to emulate the realism. When it comes to football, you can do every single thing in real life that you can in the game, so why even bother paying for virtual football when you can do the real thing outside for free?
Right, because in Australia I can just go outside and start playing a game of American Football? A very small minority of people can actually go outside and play a team sport due to something restricting them (age, no time, disability etc) not to mention if someone gets the urge to play football at 9pm, they can't just waltz outside and start playing. I'd also wager that there are a lot of people who do buy sports games, and also play the sport. For me, I play Australian Football, Basketball and Cricket and I also buy the video games for those sport because I like those sports.

Baltes
05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
#teamPS4

Masamune
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
you'd be surprised how quick and easy it is to get a group of friends together for some football (or to the uncultured masses, soccer) or basketball or something in the uk

markus
05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Surely I wasn't the only one who thought this design reminded them of an old school VHS player? Anyways I hope this thing has backwards compatibility.

ZebraGoomba
05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Surely I wasn't the only one who thought this design reminded them of an old school VHS player? Anyways I hope this thing has backwards compatibility.

I have some bad news for you...

markus
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Because I heard some rumors that the PS4 isn't even backwards compatible. Looks like I'll be getting a Wii U sometime this year XD

DNAbro
05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Because I heard some rumors that the PS4 isn't even backwards compatible. Looks like I'll be getting a Wii U sometime this year XD

It isn't backwards compatible, the system architecture is too different.

MalkanorBek
05-22-2013, 07:48 PM
The backwards compatibility thing is another reason why I just went out and bought a Wii U, not really caring what the other next gen consoles will be. I feel like Microsoft is taking a few steps forward, but then a hundred more back.

localretard
05-22-2013, 08:00 PM

It isn't backwards compatible, the system architecture is too different.
Sony has stated you could potentially play last gen games via Gaikai.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Backwards comparability doesn't matter if you just keep your previous console.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

05-23-2013, 10:29 AM

[ Post made via iPhone ]

What if you're like a Rhino or somethin' and you don't know about all this

topbunkdd89
05-23-2013, 07:50 PM
I will first off state that I am team Playstation as opposed to Microsoft. I have always seen their business model for xbox as a way to abuse kids who know nothing for more of their parents money. As clearly and vividly shown through this press conference Microsoft really highlights this philosophy. First off all the name is horrible but really who cares, everyone will just refer to it by xbox anyways. Secondly all the next gen consoles are not backwards compatible, I don't understand why people thought the xbox would be the exception. Third, the deisgn of it in my personal opinion is absolute shit. I do admit that i really liked the xbox360's design over the ps3's, but it seems they dropped that and opted for a rectangle that really does look outdated. Now I will talk about the major flukes of these system so far that they have revealed. Are you fucking kidding me Microsoft? The audacity of this company to charge people FULL RETAIL VALUE to play an already bought copy of the game is bat shit crazy. They make their system to be the most social system out there and at the same time ruin the fundamental property of playing and sharing games with friends. As time keeps going on xbox loses more and more exclusives, when was the last time a new good game exclusive to only xbox was actually released? Alan Wake 2 years ago? I could rattle off a huge list of exclusives to playstation that actually are evolving and shaking it up ( infamous series comes to mind) but I will refrain. And lastly they have destroyed Indy games on XBL. They make it almost impossible to get any games approved. Not to mention that on top off all the overpriced DLC you are still paying to use XBL. XBL is not gods gift to the world and should be a paied service on top of all the bull shit they make you pay for already. All I see the Xbox one is, is a social media device where you have to pay to use your social medias. I am happy after all of these years to see Microsoft starting to crumble under their own greediness and utter disregard for the video game community as a whole.

AnythingButAwesome
05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Me looking at details about the Xbox One:

What....
Huh?
Why?
What...
Why?
Huh?
What?

ojamamask
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
#teamPS4

#teamPC

I don't really think I'll get another video console for a long time because I got a Wii and I never really used it that much. I'm safe to say that I'll be spending most of my gaming time on my computer for a good few years.
Xbox One just looks the worst out the the new gen consoles atm.

markus
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM

[ Post made via iPhone ]

The 360 is pretty big and where I live there isn't much room :/ but then the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

For today I will leave you with some Microsoft Logic ;D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/946525_477327599010653_1214094721_n.jpg

diddyknux
05-24-2013, 10:14 PM
So now they're saying that when you sell a game, a publisher will be able to label that game as traded-in and it'll be wiped from the original console. And that retailers will be able to set whatever prices they want, but that they have to give so much percentage to the developer and Microsoft. But another article said the prices on used games will be set by Microsoft or the developer. A: Stop flip flopping and give a definitive answer to what this entails. B: They still haven't explained if you'll be able to play your games on a friend's Xbox without paying a fee. C: What about game rentals? How does that work. D: Its still bullcrap!

Also, achievements for watching TV? NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE TV FEATURE. And that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Trust, Me I Got This
05-24-2013, 11:59 PM
They actually have confirmed if you can play your games on a friends Xbox (at least I think they have); you can do it, but you have to sign into your own account for it to work. I find that absurd as I might want to play round of 2K13 at a friends house, but not necessarily give them my account which could lead to all sorts of problems.

Alison
05-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I could also envision a lot of problems with accounts/used games/rentals.. the gaming industry has changed so much in just a few generations.

Also, achievements for watching TV? NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE TV FEATURE. And that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

....are you serious? there's gonna be achievements for TV?

Also, as I'm seeing a lot of criticism at the next gen consoles, it has me wondering... During the reveals of the last generations and the one before that (gc, wii, ps2, ps3, et al) was there this much criticism? I was too young to have much of an online presence so I wouldn't really know.

markus
05-26-2013, 12:18 AM
It's probably because we have high expectations from what the 360, PS3 Wii and the DS have achieved, so with the reveal it wasn't what we all were possibly expecting. I guess the saying goes "never judge a book by its cover" maybe we should wait until E3 to see what the Xbox One and PS4 can offer. I mean the Wii U might have benefited a little but again we will see come the end of E3 and 2013 in general.

Hartross
05-26-2013, 03:44 AM
They actually have confirmed if you can play your games on a friends Xbox (at least I think they have); you can do it, but you have to sign into your own account for it to work. I find that absurd as I might want to play round of 2K13 at a friends house, but not necessarily give them my account which could lead to all sorts of problems.
I know right. All we've ever been told from companies like steam and any mmo is don't give your account details to anybody. Microsoft on the other seem to be basically saying, spend money on a game you might hate or give your details to all your friends.

zion777
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM

[youtube:1aee9o4t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:1aee9o4t]

This made me much more happy than the actual reveal.

MalkanorBek
05-27-2013, 12:59 AM
I thought this image would be relevant. It's pretty in depth about the negatives with the Xbox One that tries not to be biased. I didn't realize that the headsets would have to be revamped for the system as well.

http://imgur.com/gallery/s4rFvsn

GrimsChild
05-27-2013, 01:58 AM
[youtube:1jww1hnz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI[/youtube:1jww1hnz]

Trust, Me I Got This
05-27-2013, 03:03 PM
[youtube:2j4463cc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI[/youtube:2j4463cc]
Hahahaha that is so good.

XModxGodX
05-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Heck, in Super Mario Sunshine there was a WHOLE mission revolving around this whole "next gen technology."

Sonic62
05-28-2013, 11:17 PM

[youtube:24lj3oas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube:24lj3oas]
:lol: I lost it at the dog part. So funny!

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
I just can't comprehend this. When I saw the "One", I figured this revolved around the first Xbox. Way too confusing, especially for people like me who consider adding a "1" to the start of a series.

Like "Mario Party" as "Mario Party 1" and so on.

MSico
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure what some of the problems are. So long as it doesn't require me to spend 100$ on a wireless adapter, then it'll always be online anyway. I usually buy games through preorder, and we have a growing library on Steam, so we're used to purchasing new games that cannot be resold.

Also I have a handy wall I can aim my Kinect at, because Kinect still seems completely useless to me and hell if I care about it looking at me while I play. _awesome_

Sangome
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
So this just happened.

[spoiler:3vcbiutc]

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.[/spoiler:3vcbiutc]
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing ... -514390310 (http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... ments.aspx (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/19/report-microsoft-to-drop-used-game-restrictions-online-requirements.aspx)
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa <-- Seems to be spottily loading at the moment, but this is where the official announcement is supposed to be

Still doesn't mention stuff like the Kinect, requiring entirely new headsets or other such maladies, but...dang. Thoughts?

Amaterasu
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
It's a step in the right direction, but I'm still not getting one.

diddyknux
06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
I'll give them props for making the change, but I'm still not interested.

DrewStern
06-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Still not worth all of $499...

[ Post made via Android ]

AnythingButAwesome
06-20-2013, 12:12 AM
You know, I was excited that all 3 consoles were going to be going for different markets. Now all of that excitement is gone. We are going to have the same generation all over again.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Look, now the Xbone is a PS4 clone, except it costs more. Seriously Microsoft, you've already burned your bridges with me after giving smart ass "Deal with it" and "Stick with 360" responses.

the1stpkmnfan
07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I find it almost like it was a stunt. There was no way they could have driven in money with the announcements of their system beforehand. Maybe they could have, but it looked like a possibility their sales would have plummeted.

Now with this, I can't help but laugh at this. Where they just making an act, or were they truly aware of their mistakes? In the end, I really don't care. It's Microsoft, and I'm in their audience of consumers.

torimori
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Pretty much stating the general consensus of the users in this topic, but I'm gonna give my two cents.

XboxOne's confirmation was disappointing, as we all know. But are we surprised the Xbox One was targeting itself towards media rather than video games? I've seen screencaps of Xbox 360 friend lists, and a lot of the time, many of the friends online are using Netflix. Granted, I'm sure they play games as well, but streaming Netflix on a console opened up a whole different realm and that's where Microsoft was aiming for the next gen. Personally, I think Sony recognized this and decided to target gamers, rather than Microsoft creating a media entertainment system. Gamers obviously revolted, and many Microsoft fanboys became Sony fanboys. Upon learning this, as we all know, Microsoft decided to revoke their policies on the Xbox One. I personally don't think they're going to stick. Updates are probably going to come around turning everything around once more (for the sake of telling the joke, Microsoft's gonna do a full 360); at least, that's what I foresee happening.

I won't be getting a next-gen console on their release days.

I'm excited to get a PS4 when I decide I've got enough money, however.

Trust, Me I Got This
07-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Pretty much stating the general consensus of the users in this topic, but I'm gonna give my two cents.

XboxOne's confirmation was disappointing, as we all know. But are we surprised the Xbox One was targeting itself towards media rather than video games? I've seen screencaps of Xbox 360 friend lists, and a lot of the time, many of the friends online are using Netflix. Granted, I'm sure they play games as well, but streaming Netflix on a console opened up a whole different realm and that's where Microsoft was aiming for the next gen. Personally, I think Sony recognized this and decided to target gamers, rather than Microsoft creating a media entertainment system. Gamers obviously revolted, and many Microsoft fanboys became Sony fanboys. Upon learning this, as we all know, Microsoft decided to revoke their policies on the Xbox One. I personally don't think they're going to stick. Updates are probably going to come around turning everything around once more (for the sake of telling the joke, Microsoft's gonna do a full 360); at least, that's what I foresee happening.

I won't be getting a next-gen console on their release days.

I'm excited to get a PS4 when I decide I've got enough money, however.
Do you realize that Netflix is used more on PS3 than any other platform?

zion777
09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
They have announced that it will be launching on November 22.

MSico
09-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Got mine preordered, SUPER JAZZED. Also Bear and I went to the Microsoft Store in Houston and they let us hold the Xbox One controller :o it feels really nice. The huge manhandles on the sides are gone, I like that a lot.