PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario 3D World - CAT POWERS ACTIVATE

the1stpkmnfan
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
AWE YEAR.
http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/06/Super-Mario-3D-World-1-1124x1152.jpg

Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad are all coming together for the new 3D Mario game. Much like a follow up to the original Super Mario Bros. 2

These new cat powers are so adorable. But remember how PETA was all over 3D Land about Tanooki? I can imagine they're gonna be all over this game about Cats... Oh dear. xD

[ytube:367jrr8p]PwwjcfgTksU[/ytube:367jrr8p]
[youtube:367jrr8p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooUqPF2Lf4[/youtube:367jrr8p]

So... whose gonna be the big boss and for what purpose?

Amaterasu
06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
It'll be Birdo. :p

...No, I dunno. I'm not looking forward to this game, gives me too much of a 3D land vibe, which wasn't that good IMO.

Muzy72
06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
So excited!! This will vindicate my Wii U purchase.

GrimsChild
06-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm glad we got this over Galaxy 3.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Had no clue what the new 3D Mario game would be like, but I definitely wasn't expecting a combination of SMB2 (US) and 3D Land though, that's for sure. xD Looks pretty sweet to me. Can't wait~ :D

Vaati33
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
A 3D Mario platformer with multiplayer makes me happy. The cat suit looks like fun. Plus, Super Mario 3D Land was one of the most impressive handheld Mario games that I've played so I'm definitely looking forward to playing 3D World.

MSico
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EiaaZZ0.png

ZebraGoomba
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
AWE YEAR.
http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/06/Super-Mario-3D-World-1-1124x1152.jpg

Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad are all coming together for the new 3D Mario game. Much like a follow up to the original Super Mario Bros. 2

These new cat powers are so adorable. But remember how PETA was all over 3D Land about Tanooki? I can imagine they're gonna be all over this game about Cats... Oh dear. xD

[ytube:1gfm01ns]PwwjcfgTksU[/ytube:1gfm01ns]

So... whose gonna be the big boss and for what purpose?

Well, this is a good excuse for them to use Wart again instead of Bowser, but I don't know if 'd like that. In fact, I'd rather Bowser again or a new villain.

I'm pretty darn excited about this. I loved Mario 3D Land, but it felt to me like it was missing something. The levels just weren't long enough I guess. They felt too small. I was kind of hoping that the 3D Mario game would be a collect-a-thon type game like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1+2 since those games felt so open, but I'm actually looking forward to the 3D Land route, if only because this game (with what little we've seen) looks like it has what 3D Land was missing. It looks bigger. It's still not really open, but it looks like an improvement, in some areas. I'm sure someone gets what I'm saying.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Okay, just watched this Developer Direct video for this game and it's looking particularly good to me now that I understand a bit more about some of the stuff that was going on in that first trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooUqPF2Lf4
[youtube:11vshwa3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooUqPF2Lf4[/youtube:11vshwa3]

Some pretty interesting ideas in this game, it seems. Like I said before, can't wait for this~ :D

Trust, Me I Got This
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought it was lame when this was revealed? I wanted a completely new experience, not rehashing a game that was released like a year ago. I wanted true innovation like Nintendo brought when they released Galaxy.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 03:37 PM
^Look at the video I just posted (and it would be great if that one could be added to the OP by the way, since it makes some things clearer that aren't quite as clear in the actual reveal trailer and is better at getting across what's actually new in this game. It's all good either way though~ ^_^ ). Aside from the art-style and name, it really doesn't seem like much of a rehash of 3D Land to me. Playing as Toad definitely sounds like a fun challenge and it sounds like the multiplayer for this game will be even better than the multiplayer in the NSMB games. Really, it just all around sounds great, IMO~ :D

Amaterasu
06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought it was lame when this was revealed? I wanted a completely new experience, not rehashing a game that was released like a year ago. I wanted true innovation like Nintendo brought when they released Galaxy.

I'm not liking it either. You must have missed my post.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
It is a 2.5D Mario game, so yeah it pretty much is the same apart from the 2 or 3 new gimmicks.

I'm not sure why people are settling for this when we were promised a proper 3D Mario game, not a 2.5D Mario game.

I'm not liking it either. You must have missed my post.
Haha I did somehow overlook your post

Shiron
06-11-2013, 04:05 PM
What? How is it 2.5D? The character models are 3D, and the world itself is 3D. It's a 3D game, through and through. Something like Donkey Kong Country Returns, that's a 2.5D game (character models are 3D and the backgrounds may be 3D and stuff, but it still plays as a 2D left-to-right sidescroller (that is, aside from jumps, you're movement is restricted to pretty much left and right and you can't actually walk into the foreground or background at all), hence 2.5D). This has 3D models, 3D world, and a user-controllable camera to boot (again, if you haven't, look at the video I posted). It's the definition of a 3D game (the only thing more 3D would be if it had stereoscopic 3D support somehow).

Trust, Me I Got This
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
What? How is it 2.5D? The character models are 3D, and the world itself is 3D. It's a 3D game, through and through. Something like Donkey Kong Country Returns, that's a 2.5D game (character models are 3D and the backgrounds may be 3D and stuff, but it still plays as a 2D left-to-right sidescroller (that is, aside from jumps, you're movement is restricted to pretty much left and right and you can't actually walk into the foreground or background at all), hence 2.5D). This has 3D models, 3D world, and a user-controllable camera to boot (again, if you haven't, look at the video I posted). It's the definition of a 3D game (the only thing more 3D would be if it had stereoscopic 3D support somehow).
You've never heard anyone refer to 3D Land as 2.5D? No doubt this game will be an upgrade on 3D Land, which was not a 3D world as such, but more of an openly, linear take on side scrolling platformers.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM
No (well, maybe I have, but I can't really remember off hand, but in any case), because it would be inaccurate to call it such (though at least in 3D Land's case, there's how you can't control the camera yourself that could be a factor in such determination. Not even that applies in the case of 3D World though). It would be like calling Chrono Trigger an ARPG, just because it's actiony and has attack animations and stuff. 2.5D games are ones where there are 3D character models and stuff, but you're still restricted to 2D movement. That doesn't apply to this or 3D Land, so I don't see any reason to call them such, unless we're changing what such terms mean and making such terminology useless to begin with and make "2.5D" the new "RPG".

And I'm not sure how linearlity factors into all this? I mean, the levels in Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are the definition of linear as well, but people don't seem to have a problem with it there (because "linearity" really isn't so much of a problem or inherently negative thing just by itself--it's stuff like level design itself and gameplay and such that really matter in the end, where the Galaxy games excelled and it's quite possible this one will excel as well for all we know: much too early to tell yet). Perhaps you mean smaller, shorter, more condensed levels? But part of the reason that was the case in 3D Land was of course because it was on the 3DS and thus limited by the amount of power it had and thus couldn't do anything too involved or impressive. Since this game is on the Wii U on the other hand, I don't think that will be as much of a problem here.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Go question all the reviewers and thousands of other gamer who have been calling it 2.5D.\

I think it's reffered to a 2.5D as it pretty much combines the NSMB's series with the whole, get to the flagpole objective, while taking the collect multiple Stars/Star Coins idea from the 3D Mario's

Shiron
06-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah, sorry. It's just been a while since 3D Land came out (over a year now), and so I just don't really remember what reviews were saying in regards to that and such at the time (because I don't really read or pay attention to them or anything to begin with) and actual use posts are even more vague in my mind.

But thinking about it, it's all beginning to come back to me now. Yeah, people said that because it combined tropes from the 2D and 3D Mario games, and thus 2.5D. But that's just so entirely silly to me and is ignoring that term already had a meaning and referred to games like DKCR, which have 3D character models and the like but 2D movement. 3D Land had 3D character models, 3D movement, and a 3D world, so calling it a 2.5D game just because of the tropes it uses is silly and just destroys the meaning of the word, leading it down a path like the term "RPG" which frightens me, so at least personally, I'd really want to avoid referring to it as such, because I'd prefer to not have another such term lose its meaning over a silly reason like that.

In any case though, the only thing 3D Land lacked in regards to that stuff was a user-contrallable camera, so I suppose there's that I guess. But 3D World has that, so that's not really applicable here. And in any case yeah, I just really want to avoid referring to these games as 2.5D, because that's just not really accurate and places an immense amount of emphasis on the tropes in the game over the actual gameplay and meaning of that trope, especially since the game meets are the definitions of a 3D game anyway, so calling it 2.5D over a silly reason like that anyway just seems odd to me.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I think 2.5D is used just for lack of a better word when it come a to 3D Land/World.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
But there is a perfect word and it's right there in the title. :P There's no reason to not call it 3D. Refusing to call it such just because it has the flagpoles form the 2D games instead of Power Stars is just being silly, since that has nothing to do with the dimensions of gameplay or movement or anything and is just totally butchering the term anyway.

Just call it a 3D game, and mention the fact that it keeps the flagpoles from the 2D games or when it's relevant. Feeling it needs to be called a 2.5 games just because it has elements from both the 2D and 3D Mario game series is silly, when the game is wholly a 3D game regardless--a 3D entry which borrows elements from the 2D series.

Really, I have no clue why this is suddenly starting to bug me so much now when it obviously didn't for 3D Land at all, but it quickly just is becoming a pet-peeve for me. xD It's silly to get so much into semantics over this, but it's just really bugging me this time for some reason--I really can't explain it at all. xD

the1stpkmnfan
06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
By the way Shiron, I added that video you posted of 3D World to the OP. :P

Mr. Olimario
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
It is, by definition, a 3D game, so yes, Nintendo kept to their promise. You and whomever else is calling Super Mario 3D Land/World a 2.5 platformer doesn't know what 2.5 really is. Games like Klonoa, Trine and Viewtiful Joe are 2.5 platform games.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 06:07 PM
By the way Shiron, I added that video you posted of 3D World to the OP. :P
Thankies~ :D

Also, I wonder if opinion on this game might start to come around a bit once more stuff like this starts to leak out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJknmww4-8
[youtube:2h03prv3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJknmww4-8[/youtube:2h03prv3]

At least personally, this game is looking better and better the more I see of it. Can't wait to see more` ^_^

MSico
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Guys. Guys. I think we're all forgetting something here.

[spoiler:1i0hq88b]MEOW[/spoiler:1i0hq88b]

Baltes
06-16-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

NicoCW
06-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Cool! I had no idea someone was making a Peach hack for Super Mario 3D Land!

Trust, Me I Got This
06-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Cool! I had no idea someone was making a Peach hack for Super Mario 3D Land!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif
These both some up my feelings towards this game.

All Nintendo seems to do these days is retread old ground.

Apple314
06-17-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm just happy Peach is playable. Maybe everyone will have play slightly different a la SMB2? Peach has that hovering ability after jumping, Luigi has higher jumps, Mario is average, Toad is the fastest.

diddyknux
06-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I'll be happy with the game. The star collecting type of gameplay in the 3d Mario games had gotten a bit stale to me.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm just happy Peach is playable. Maybe everyone will have play slightly different a la SMB2? Peach has that hovering ability after jumping, Luigi has higher jumps, Mario is average, Toad is the fastest.
They confirmed that they do all play differently.

I'll be happy with the game. The star collecting type of gameplay in the 3d Mario games had gotten a bit stale to me.
But the 2D gameplay hasn't? This game is basically like the 2D Mario games but in a 3D environment.

Baltes
06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
But the 2D gameplay hasn't? This game is basically like the 2D Mario games but in a 3D environment.

people rag on Activision for COD and EA for Madden, but Nintendo is just as guilty.
people will buy anything, they'll convince themselves they like anything, rinse and repeat

Trust, Me I Got This
06-17-2013, 03:16 PM
At least EA and Activision only really rehash one game series. The majority of Nintendo releases seem to be rehashes these days.

the1stpkmnfan
06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
So the Cat Powers, Tanooki Powers and Fire Powers are said to be present in the game.

I saw a screen shot of Fire Peach, so I wonder if we can also play as Tanooki Peach.

Muzy72
06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
We've barely seen any of the game, and we've already seen plenty of new things, yet people still call this game a retread :fail:

Baltes
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
We've barely seen any of the game, and we've already seen plenty of new things, yet people still call this game a retread :fail:

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/technologies/retread_technology/images/img_retreadtechnology.jpg
yeah that pretty much sums up what we're claiming

diddyknux
06-17-2013, 09:55 PM

As I said the star collecting type stuff had gotten stale TO ME. So no, the "2D style" hasn't. I haven't played much of the New Super Mario games myself. I'm not speaking for everyone, and I didn't imply to be in my post.

DrewStern
06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Nintendo seriously needs to get out of this New Super Mario/3D World cycle.

Trust, Me I Got This
06-18-2013, 12:11 AM
What new things have we seen? A cat suit and multiplayer, which is already in other games in the Mario series.

Shiron
06-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Multiplayer is in other games, in the series, yes... But it's never been in a 3D entry before--just the 2D sidescrollers. 3D entries play differently though, and actually being able to have co-op in such a game has me excited.

Basically, I suppose my opinion on 3D World comes down to these factors so far:
1.) I really, really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land.
2.) I'm going back to college this fall and would love to be able to share that 3D Land experience with my roommates if possible.
3.) Unfortunately, 3D Land is a single-player 3DS game.
4.) 3D World is on the Wii U and does have local co-op, meaning the game right there delivers something I can't get out of any of the other Mario games and that's something that really appeals to me.

I mean, god, just imagining doing something like the final Bowser fight in 3D Land (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WtyL7YeHc), except playing it with three of my friends and experiencing all that the same time instead of just playing by myself has me excited~

I suppose I understand being more down on it if you have no one to play it co-op with. Even so though, viewing it as a purely single-player experience, I can already easily see 3D Land --> 3D World being a Super Mario Galaxy ---> Super Mario Galaxy 2 (or to use a more old-school example, a Donkey Kong Country --> Donkey Kong Country 2 type deal) where though the game keeps the same gameplay foundations and the like from its predecessor, it just ends up refining those foundations and blows that predecessor away and winds up as the definitively better game. If that does end up happening with 3D World, I'd be happy with it right there (and though of course it's much too early to say at this point one way or the other as just a bit of the game has been shown, but I can quite easily see that being the case here).

Really, in the end, I suppose a good analogy for all these Mario games would be to compare them to the superhero flicks of the film industry, like Man of Steel and what have you. I mean, yeah, you always know the basic deal when it comes to stuff like Superman--Kal-el is sent off from a dying Krypton, lands on Earth, is found and raised by the Kents as Clark Kent, and Kal-el ends up loving this world as his own and does whatever he can to protect it. But despite knowing the gist of it like that from the very beginning, people flock out in droves to see that kind of thing anyway, because despite it not being hard to see where the film will go, it's still just all good fun regardless and it's really about the action and stuff anyway.

Same deal with stuff like Mario games--you know the basic gist and foundations of the game and what it will be like from the get-go, but no matter how many times people have played that "same game" before, they still keep coming back for more anyway, because the foundation and appeal of Mario is that same consistent gameplay tied up in a neat new little package, the same way people flock to stuff like Man of Steel despite the basic premise being predictable and seen a billion times before simply because despite how many times they've seen it before, they do still enjoy it and like seeing it tied up in a new neat little package again just full of mindless action scenes and such everywhere, because that's all just good fun.

And personally, I count myself among that crowd, because I just don't see the sense in being any other way--worrying about how new something is just starts me down a path where I start to question how new any game really is in the end (like stuff like The Order or Destiny or what have you--those may look nice and all, but in the end, despite being "New IPs", will they really end up doing anything that any other shooters haven't done, beyond just looking prettier doing it?). I just get all kinds of cynical when I head down that path and it just starts sucking the fun out of everything for me, so I just choose to take the glass-half-full approach instead and just not even sweat the small stuff like that. If that game delivers a brilliant new experience, that's fantastic, but if it simply refines what its predecessors did and winds up being a better experience than them, ala Galaxy --> Galaxy 2, than that works out just as well to me. As long as something like that's the case, I'm fine.

Thinking about things any more than that just gets me all cynical and depressed and all bleh about everything and I just don't see the point of feeling that way, so I'd rather just keep viewing stuff like 3D World like I do now since in the end, it's what works for me and actually keeps me feeling happy and optimistic and good about the game industry and gives me tons of stuff to look forward to and in the end, that's what matters. I suppose in a way you could call that lying to myself or whatever if you will (though I don't personally feel that's what I'm doing, since I am genuinely looking forward to these games), but either way in the end, it's what works for me and that's what matters so whatevs~ :)

notmman
06-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Multiplayer is in other games, in the series, yes... But it's never been in a 3D entry before--just the 2D sidescrollers. 3D entries play differently though, and actually being able to have co-op in such a game has me excited.

I suppose in a way you could call that lying to myself or whatever if you will (though I don't personally feel that's what I'm doing, since I am genuinely looking forward to these games), but either way in the end, it's what works for me and that's what matters so whatevs~ :)

Well...yeah there's nothing wrong if you are looking forward to this game but...It's nothing dramatically different from something we haven't seen before. If Super Mario 3D Land did not come out for the 3DS and this was revealed then maybe we would be a little less harsh on it. But for someone who was hoping for a brand new Mario platformer along the lines of Sunshine or Galaxy (how awesome would sunshine 2 be on the Wii U btw), this was a tad disappointing.

Shiron
06-18-2013, 04:23 AM
And I'm... not really arguing any of that. If that's how you feel, that's how you feel. It's all good. I was just explaining how I feel about it and how while I understand feeling disappointed in the game and that's a perfectly normal feeling, I've seen so many other people react to 3D World as if by creating a sequel in the vein of this game, Nintendo's committed some cardinal sin, and while I understand being disappointed, taking it that far just seems odd to me, especially when such behavior from Nintendo in the past ended up in highly praised games like Donkey Kong Country 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Super Mario Galaxy 2, which are widely considered better than their predecessors despite just refining the concepts and gameplay the preceding game introduced. So while I definitely understand being disappointed, it's why so many people are acting like by creating a game like 3D World, Nintendo's committing some kind of unforgivable sin despite such fantastic games resulting from such behavior from them in the past just leaves me all kinds of baffled and confused and stuff.

Of course, this is mostly coming from me spending too much time on NeoGAF and reading the reactions there and I really don't mean to take it out on you guys and I do apologize for that, but I just needed to rant somewhere I suppose and get all that stuff out of my system. Again, I definitely do apologize for ranting here though, when it's really not the reactions here I have a problem with so much as those elsewhere, but when I read this thread, my thoughts drift to some of those other ones that do get to me and my reactions and thoughts to them just end up leaking into my posts here as well, but I should be better than that and not let that happen, so one more time for good measure, I definitely do apologize for that.

jdtwins2009
07-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm looking forward to the game, but I agree that the NSMB feel is getting a little worn out for me. They're fun games, more so when with other people, but it's just not as fun to come back to and play it through for me.

I need to be in the mood to play a NSMB game now, when I used to be able to play the DS and Wii one quite a bit.

BM_Panda
07-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Nintendo seriously needs to get out of this New Super Mario/3D World cycle.

It's not really fair to call it a "cycle" when we've had literally one 3D World game.

But I kinda agree that New Super Mario Bros. needs to either do something different or I'm just not interested. 3D Land was amazing though.

NicoCW
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
The problem is this is supposed to be the next Sunshine and Galaxy. That's right, this, and all they did was recycle 3D Land, which was already recycling New Super Mario Bros. but in 3D. No more star collecting, no more imaginative worlds, no new ideas, just... this again. It also isn't helping that every time Nintendo is being called out on stuff like this they have to come up with a BS excuse about how they don't need new characters, enemies or worlds, just new gameplay ideas that will "innovate" the next Mario title. When they have to resort to calling clear warp pipes a gameplay mechanic that brings a new style of gameplay and innovation, something's obviously wrong. To me, Nintendo just stopped caring about Mario platformers.

Funny that right now Sonic games are more exciting than Mario games. Nobody would've ever thought that would happen about six or seven years ago.

Trust, Me I Got This
07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
The problem is this is supposed to be the next Sunshine and Galaxy. That's right, this, and all they did was recycle 3D Land, which was already recycling New Super Mario Bros. but in 3D. No more star collecting, no more imaginative worlds, no new ideas, just... this again. It also isn't helping that every time Nintendo is being called out on stuff like this they have to come up with a BS excuse about how they don't need new characters, enemies or worlds, just new gameplay ideas that will "innovate" the next Mario title. When they have to resort to calling clear warp pipes a gameplay mechanic that brings a new style of gameplay and innovation, something's obviously wrong. To me, Nintendo just stopped caring about Mario platformers.

Funny that right now Sonic games are more exciting than Mario games. Nobody would've ever thought that would happen about six or seven years ago.
Summed up my feelings perfectly, Nico.

Muzy72
07-06-2013, 10:14 PM

Bolded part is where I disagree. The stars have basically been replaced by the flagpoles so I don't see the problem there, and if you're talking about the exploration we have the green stars for that. The imaginative worlds part, we've seen an incredibly small part of the game, who's to say we won't see imaginative worlds. And for new ideas, we've already seen 4 player multiplayer with all characters having different playstyles, a first for the 3D Mario series, and we've already seen 2 levels in particular, the clear pipes level and the yoshidinosaurseacreaturething level just ooze creativity. We've seen a very small portion of the game, its not fair at all to judge the game this much.

Trust, Me I Got This
07-07-2013, 04:20 AM
My major problem with 3D World/Land is that no matter how much you try and argue there is exploration, there is still a time limit which ruins everything. I can't truly look around a level when I have to worry about time ticking down.

the1stpkmnfan
07-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Another thing I'm stoked about 3D World is that we'll get to see Peach as Fire Peach and possibly Tanooki Peach. We've seen both in some form (picture or screenshot). But it'll be fun to play as her with those power ups.

Also Nico, don't Sonic fans also complain about the constant addition of new Sonic characters for most of the games that come out? And people complain that Mario barely brings in anymore new ones?

Seems like people will complain about just anything really.

AlanEdgeHead
07-16-2013, 02:06 AM
FROG SUIT RETURNS! Insta buy for me.

Muzy72
07-16-2013, 02:16 AM
FROG SUIT RETURNS! Insta buy for me.
???

EDIT: Did some research, frog suit hasn't been confirmed just yet: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34589

NicoCW
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Also Nico, don't Sonic fans also complain about the constant addition of new Sonic characters for most of the games that come out? And people complain that Mario barely brings in anymore new ones?There hasn't been a new Sonic character that was a staple to the series since 2007, and I'm totally cool with adding more characters.

DNAbro
09-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has come to this thread to talk about the release date. November 22. I'm guess Nintendo realized they needed the selling power of Mario quicker and before black friday.

MalkanorBek
09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I'll be picking it up the first day. No doubt about it. I demoed some of the levels at PAX, and it's surprisingly more complex than I thought it would be, at least in multiplayer. And I love the Cat Power's controls. My only complaint while playing was that it seemed kind of slow, but I guess it's something to get used to.

diddyknux
09-03-2013, 04:40 AM
I'll be picking it up the first day. No doubt about it. I demoed some of the levels at PAX, and it's surprisingly more complex than I thought it would be, at least in multiplayer. And I love the Cat Power's controls. My only complaint while playing was that it seemed kind of slow, but I guess it's something to get used to.

Meh. Mario Galaxy was kind of slow too, and that was enjoyable.

the1stpkmnfan
09-03-2013, 06:59 AM
It's been pushed back? Great. I doubt I'll be able to get it on release date, due to money budgets and cuts. But I'll have to since my copy is pre-ordered.

Still, stoked to play this!

Shiron
09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Actually, I think 3D World was pushed forward--for some reason, I want to say that DKC:TF was originally planned for November and this for December, but now they've swapped.

MalkanorBek
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Meh. Mario Galaxy was kind of slow too, and that was enjoyable.

That's true, but the problem with 3D World I find is that the levels are so big to accomidate 4 players, that if you're playing as a single player it takes a long time to get to a location. I played the demo in a group of 4, group of 2, and by myself. The group of 4 was indeed the funnest, and that's the intention of the game, so I enjoy it.

zion777
09-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I wonder if Nintendo is shaking their head now that this is coming out the same day as the Xbox One launch. I guess it may not really affect the same target groups though.

DNAbro
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I wonder if Nintendo is shaking their head now that this is coming out the same day as the Xbox One launch. I guess it may not really affect the same target groups though.

Cmon would you rather get an Xbox One or make mario a cat???? The decision is obvious.

[spoiler:139dvvfk]I thoroughly expect the ps4 and Xbox one launches to eclipse Wii U mind share and Wii U game sales. If Wii U starts selling really well I will be surprised.[/spoiler:139dvvfk]

NicoCW
09-04-2013, 08:37 PM
You mean people are actually excited for the XBox One?

mayday22
09-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Wait, did someone say cats?!

Make Mario a cat?!

I'm in like flynn.

Trust, Me I Got This
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Considering after all the policy 180's it's pretty much a PS4 clone now, yeah people are excited for it. Heck, there were still people excited for it when it sounded like the worst piece of technology known to man.

Muzy72
09-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Considering after all the policy 180's it's pretty much a PS4 clone now, yeah people are excited for it. Heck, there were still people excited for it when it sounded like the worst piece of technology known to man.
And while PS4 will inevitably have more/better exclusives by the end of the generation, right now I think Xbone has a better exclusive lineup.

Apple314
09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
So many games coming out soon I want - This, WWHD, Pokemon X, Link Between Worlds.

I think I'll pick up AC:NL when I go back to Uni, Pokemon X on release date, 3D world over Christmas when I can play it and WWHD when it's much cheaper. I already have WW, so that's not a big deal.

DrewStern
09-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I'd have to see more of this but I feel like Nintendo hasn't been promoting this game very hard. Still not interested.

[ Post made via Android ]

MSico
09-07-2013, 09:53 PM
It's the same freaking day as Xbox One? ........this might be the first Mario game since the original 64 that I don't get on day one. :(

DNAbro
09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
It's the same freaking day as Xbox One? ........this might be the first Mario game since the original 64 that I don't get on day one. :(

but...phil

http://community.thespeedgamers.com/download/file.php?avatar=66_1370979940.png

Shiron
09-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I'd have to see more of this but I feel like Nintendo hasn't been promoting this game very hard. Still not interested.

Eh... It's not coming out until late November, so I'm not really expecting them to start advertising it until probably around when November starts.

zion777
09-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Cmon would you rather get an Xbox One or make mario a cat???? The decision is obvious.

[spoiler:29hm0v2r]I thoroughly expect the ps4 and Xbox one launches to eclipse Wii U mind share and Wii U game sales. If Wii U starts selling really well I will be surprised.[/spoiler:29hm0v2r]

Honestly make Mario a cat. My interest in the xboxone is pretty much nonexistent. My fear on the sales of the game is it seems the only people who really bought a Wii U are pretty serious gamers (from what I can tell), so it is likely they will pick up one of the new consoles. But will it be they are so into games that they will still grab this? Or will it be ignored for all the flashy new stuff?

I plan to pick it up by Christmas, but doubt I will get on launch day.

Overload
09-19-2013, 11:51 PM
I hope they don't run this new Mario format into the ground like they have with NSMB. I miss the days where a new Mario game not only meant new gameplay, but an entirely new aesthetic as it was all sprite-based. Now it's the same models over and over again. Everything looks identical.

90HeroMAXD
09-26-2013, 04:21 AM
I hope they don't run this new Mario format into the ground like they have with NSMB. I miss the days where a new Mario game not only meant new gameplay, but an entirely new aesthetic as it was all sprite-based. Now it's the same models over and over again. Everything looks identical.

What do you mean "hope they don't"? They already have, it was nice when it NSMB came out cause it was a nostalgia trip, rather an HD remake if you will. Now it's "let's just keep milking this cause everyone buys it." kind of thing. Granted this one we are talking about is the 3-D NSMB titles, but it just plays like a SMB game just you get to move around more. At least it looks like it has some new assets.

Maybe it's just me, but I just really didn't like it after they released the third NSMB title.(I think it was NSMB 2).
To be fair they are a company and whatever they find that makes them the most money they'll make and occasionally they'll throw us a bone and make something different(even if it's just a sequel to another one of their long running titles[like Zelda]).

DrewStern
09-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah is run dry. At the Wii launch we got some novel ideas in Super Mario Galaxy, but now they resort on a sequel to a 3DS title. Am I the only one who would've rather seen them draw on old ideas like in a Mario 64 sequel, Mario Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2 rather than draw from this?

zion777
09-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Constantly releasing similar titles without much change is the current formula for success (financially) it would seem in the industry. I do not know why Nintendo would not do it, when fans still buy it. It is the same with most flagship series such as Halo, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed. Each of them do one release a year (of some sort) and make lots of money. Seems Nintendo does the same with Mario.

I still find most of them enjoyable, but still wouldn't mind something fresh.

Muzy72
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah is run dry. At the Wii launch we got some novel ideas in Super Mario Galaxy, but now they resort on a sequel to a 3DS title. Am I the only one who would've rather seen them draw on old ideas like in a Mario 64 sequel, Mario Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2 rather than draw from this?

So a sequel to 3D Land means Nintendo is running out of ideas but a sequel to any other Mario game is OK? The hypocrisy in that statement is baffling.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
10-01-2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct ... 0-01-2013/ (http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/10-01-2013/)
(The 3D World part is right at the beginning of the Direct)

Okay, yeah... I ****ing need this game. Looks so awesome. :D

DNAbro
10-01-2013, 09:24 AM
yeah i think we were all very wrong in judging this game. Looks fantastic.

NicoCW
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I admit defeat. You all win. This game looks really good and I want it now.

Amaterasu
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I'm starting to become interested in it. I don't know when I'll get it, considering I don't have a Wii U yet, but I think I might be getting this sometime down the road.

Apple314
10-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey, I was always interested! I loved 3D land, so this has just made me more excited!

They've really gone to town with new items to use, don't you think? I also think they could create some clever puzzles involving the cherry powerup...

the1stpkmnfan
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
This game is looking to be the bomb. Glad I'm choosing to buy this game over NSMBU, since it looks to have a lot of promise and potential. As it showcased in the preview.

DNAbro
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Finally got my preorder in for the game. Last trailer solidified my purchase. Also in the last trailer they revealed somethings. Secret things.

[spoiler:1mvw3r24]Rosalina is a playable character.[/spoiler:1mvw3r24]

MalkanorBek
11-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Finally got my preorder in for the game. Last trailer solidified my purchase. Also in the last trailer they revealed somethings. Secret things.

[spoiler:2azff7uo]Rosalina is a playable character.[/spoiler:2azff7uo]

Those secret things are the reason why I'm getting this game day one. Before I'd buy it on Amazon, get it in a couple days. But nope. I'M GETTING THIS RIGHT AWAY SO I CAN PLAY IT. I need it in my life

the1stpkmnfan
11-13-2013, 06:39 PM
CRAP. Just saw a thumbnail saying theres a secret. The same thing DNA just posted in the spoiler box.

Ah well. I did see the sight of confirmed news of what was under that spoiler box.

Shiron
11-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Also, have to say I'm loving the look of the soundtrack CD for this game and wish it would come out here~ ^_^
[spoiler=WARNING: Image contains a major spoiler for one of the rewards for beating the game:2fan23ih]http://abload.de/img/cdt5up0.png[/spoiler:2fan23ih]
Just love the Bowser artwork on the 2nd CD in particular--Bowser's just so adorable when he's happy~ <3

DNAbro
11-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Well who else got the game? Was able to play with 4 players last night and the experience was absolutely amazing. Some of the funnest and funniest moments I have had with a game.

DrewStern
11-23-2013, 10:48 PM
I got to play this with some of my friends last night. Kind ofa blast but didn't seem like anything new, unfortunately. :(

MalkanorBek
11-24-2013, 01:59 PM
So I already technically beat the game. I love this thing to death. Easily one of my top 5 Mario games if not higher. I love that levels can be explored to an extent without being too linear, I love the extra missions, heck, I even love the Game Pad only levels (even though I prefer the Wii U Pro controller). I guess the collection side can get a bit tedious. Now to go back and 100% the game!

the1stpkmnfan
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Sounds like the game is really good. Now I just need the money to get this game. Holidays, get here faster!

Shiron
11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
^I know that feeling! God, I can't wait for Christmas, so I can start tearing into this~ ^_^

the1stpkmnfan
11-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Just got to play it actually! Traded back Link Between Worlds so I can get the game with the Zelda 3DS XL (wanted to get one anyway, and its a good price!) Also, so I can finish A Link to the Past. Haven't even touched ALBW, so I'm being told to play ALTTP first, and get an idea of what to expect. xd

Anywho~

Me and a bunch of my friends sat down and played through the first three levels. Too much fun! The game is real banans, but it's very entertaining. All around a quirky fun game!

I'm actually glad I swapped this for ALBW (for now).

DNAbro
11-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Seriously this game is an absolute blast, with or without others. Beat the main game with 3 other people and decided to do most of the extra stuff solo. I don't know how the later levels could be done with more than 1 or 2 people.

MalkanorBek
11-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Oh man, my husband and I tried to play the extra levels and 100% it together. So far, it has not gone well at all. It's just so frustrating! We got to the point where both of us switch off every level so we can both play it solo, yet together.

Sonic62
01-15-2014, 01:12 AM
I've been totally focused on this game as of late. I have completed everything as Mario, Toad and Rosalina. I'm currently into the extra worlds with Peach.

Oh yeah, World Crown-Crown is evil incarnate. :evil:

Sonic62
01-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Now I've done everything to 100% completion! Awesome game, definitely a ton better than anyone was expecting.