PDA

View Full Version : Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze

WolfAmadeus
06-11-2013, 04:21 PM
[ytube:3gzasgqz]DueE8vJXpo8[/ytube:3gzasgqz]

Three years after DKC Returns was released, Nintendo finally announced a sequel to one of the best games on the Wii. After they released DKC Returns 3D for the 3DS, I had a feeling that a sequel was going to be released soon. Personally I think this game is going to be just as great as the first. I love that instead of bringing back the tikis, they introduced a brand new army of villains that we can fight against. I'm also very happy that they're bringing back Dixie Kong but I hope they bring back more members of the Kong family like Funky Kong or Swanky Kong. I also hope to see more animal buddies like Enguarde( since the water levels are back).

So what are your thoughts on this game?

Vaati33
06-11-2013, 07:36 PM
The DKC / DKCR level design is well-thought and challenging, so I'm down to play some more. I was honestly hoping to see a DKC2R just because I loved the pirate theme, music, and Diddy + Dixie combo, but at least Dixie will be in this next one.

Shiron
06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9FnSvEQxE
[youtube:2d5e3ngm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9FnSvEQxE[/youtube:2d5e3ngm]

Hmm, if I'm understanding this right, it sounds like there will be one more playable character other than Donkey Kong, Diddy, and Dixie in this game. Kiddy Kong perhaps? I mean, he wouldn't exactly be my personal choice (I'd personally LOVE for it to be Lanky Kong, since I just love that guy and how goofy he is and stuff. xD But that's me~), but if I had to take a guess, it would seem that Kiddy Kong would be the likeliest one to be brought back, what with being a big part of DKC3 and all.

MalkanorBek
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Quite honestly, I would get this game for the sheer fact that Dixie returns. I overused her so much in DKC2 and her "sister" in Dk 64. I'm glad that they're returning to that kind of gameplay. I also hope the controls are good in this game. I didn't mind Return's Wii controls, but they could be annoying at times.

Slowflake
06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Is that... a life bar on the mine cart? No more "one hit and you're dead" stuff? If they bring back rocket barrels, I sure hope they get the same treatment...

Vaati33
06-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Is that... a life bar on the mine cart? No more "one hit and you're dead" stuff? If they bring back rocket barrels, I sure hope they get the same treatment...

The 3DS version of DKCR introduced an easier difficulty setting, so it's likely to see a difficulty setting again.

Shiron
06-12-2013, 01:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNUArZ0UTU
[youtube:19zqqe8m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNUArZ0UTU[/youtube:19zqqe8m]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqvpWdPL7g
[youtube:19zqqe8m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqvpWdPL7g[/youtube:19zqqe8m]

Okay, yeah, this game looks amazing. So totally hyped (and btw, the second video definitively answers your question Slow--yes, it does have its own life bar)~ :D Now then, to research spots where I can sell blood plasma or something so that I'll actually have the money for stuff like this...
*Remembers he's just a skinny pile of bones and would probably be considered underweight for such a thing.*
*Is sad*
*But not really, because this game is still totally awesome regardless. :D*

Trust, Me I Got This
06-12-2013, 01:24 AM
This game better introduce a character called Swaggy Kong.

KEM64
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the music for this game will be great. Know why? Not only is Kenji Yamamoto (The composer of Donkey Kong Country Returns's soundtrack) returning for this game, but he will be composing the soundtrack with David Wise (who worked on the music for the SNES Donkey Kong Country Trilogy).

WolfAmadeus
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Even though this isn't based on DKC 2, they can still have levels and music inspired by the game. I would love to see a level based on bramble blast because the music in that level is amazing.

Slowflake
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Or Mining Melancholy. Pretty please? It was already great on the SNES, it couldn't be anything less than GLORIOUS on the Wii U.

diddyknux
06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Or Mining Melancholy. Pretty please? It was already great on the SNES, it couldn't be anything less than GLORIOUS on the Wii U.

Agreed. Forest Interlude would be cool, too.

WolfAmadeus
06-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Any levels from DKC 2 would be awesome, but I would really love to see a level based on slipslide ride from DKC. That level was the best level in DKC, IMO.

zion777
06-17-2013, 07:28 AM
I think the game looks like a good ole Donkey Kong, but in some ways I think it looks too much like the last one. I will likely play eventually, but doubt Ill get it launch day.

I have to agree with what Tyler recently said in a stream, and that is that I wish and hope Nintendo will start finding new and fresh ways to offer their games. Don't have to change anything, but take some chances.

Kennyan
06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm certainly getting this day one.. The only reason I didn't do it with the first one was that there were other games with higher priority to me.. I really like Nintendo putting single screen co-op in their platforming games, makes it very easy to get my sister to play with me..

WolfAmadeus
06-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Just played the demo of Donkey Kong at Best Buy and I can say that I'm definitely getting this game day one. The game looks amazing and just as great as DKC Returns. I cannot wait to see who the mystery character is. I'm hoping they bring back one of the kongs from DK 64.

diddyknux
06-18-2013, 03:14 AM
I think it would be cool if it turned out to be K. Rool. Yeah, like, his island's been frozen too, so he has to team up with the Kongs. Not very likely, but honestly, I just miss Kremlings in my DK games.

16BitGeek
06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I loved DKCR, it was easily my favorite game on the Wii. This new one looks to be just as good. I'm definitely gonna be picking this game up on day 1. I wish I could've went to Best Buy and tried it out but I guess I'll just have to wait. This fall/holiday season really looks like it's gonna kill my wallet...

DNAbro
06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Just bought Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I have to say the game is really fun. Makes me want this game pretty bad.

diddyknux
06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Just bought Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I have to say the game is really fun. Makes me want this game pretty bad.

Out of curiosity, are you playing on the new difficulty or the original?

DNAbro
06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
new

ff fan 4 life
07-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Really hoping the controls for this game do mimic the SNES games via Game Pad, Classic Controller, and Game Pad Pro. As much as I loved Donkey Kong Country Returns I found shaking the Wii Mote to be just so annoying to do my rolls.

Kurono
07-03-2013, 06:11 AM
I loved Donkey Kong Country Returns, and when they announced this game, I saw on another forum people were disappointed. I was sooooo excited though as the first one is truly one of the best Wii games (I really need to buy the 3DS version).

I'm hyped for this game, and as much as I didn't mind the Wii controls (especially when using the nunchuck set up), It'll be good if this one has a more standard control approach (which I'm sure it will given the nature of the Gamepads layout).

DNAbro
07-03-2013, 08:12 AM
It does have standard controls with the gamepad, already confirmed. It's the same way on the 3DS, which I have to say plays really nice.

ff fan 4 life
07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I know it can use them but is the controls the same as the old Donkey Kong Country games or are they slightly different?

KEM64
10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Bad news, Iwata announced a delay of this game in today's Nintendo Direct.

The game has been delayed until February 2014.

DNAbro
10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I feel like it's just to pad out next year's release schedule tbh. They need at least one big first party title for beginning of next year until Mario Kart.

the1stpkmnfan
10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't mind waiting. Too many games to buy and play already this Fall.

Kennyan
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah I don't mind waiting either, because the game will hopefully end up even better from it.. But I'm still sad as it was the game I looked forward to the most on the Wii U this fall..

zion777
10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I was thankful for the delay, too much coming this holiday season as is, and there is never enough come early part of the year. Now I have a couple of games to look forward to during early part of next year.

MattThePatrat
10-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I definitely wouldn't have had the money to pay for it yet anyway. So many games I want/have recently bought this year.

KEM64
12-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry to post in a topic that hasn't been posted in 2 1/2 months, but I thought it would be worth sharing that they revealed who the 4th Kong that will be joining DK, Diddy, and Dixie is....

[spoiler:2xadft7o]It's Cranky Kong. He will be able to bounce on his cane like Scrooge McDuck.

Unfortunately, like Diddy and Dixie, Cranky can't be played as in single-player. Player One is once again stuck playing as DK.[/spoiler:2xadft7o]

zion777
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Pretty excited to bounce along as Kranky Kong. Also I read that it has been confirmed that Funky Kong will be in game (not playable)

diddyknux
12-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Hurray Funky!
[spoiler:3qhady8y][youtube:3qhady8y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0vj7fJ8Lb4[/youtube:3qhady8y][/spoiler:3qhady8y]

Still irked you can only play as DK in single player though. I wonder if its still possible for them to change that? Couldn't be that hard, right?

Kennyan
12-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Well I'll be playing this with my sister so we should be able to take turns with DK, or well start being all silly and bickering about it until we end up stopping the game.. Sibling gaming ftw!

DNAbro
01-23-2014, 10:18 AM
So a bit of soundtrack is out and woooooooooooow. David Wise is absolutely fantastic.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/images/bgm1.mp3
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/images/bgm2.mp3
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/images/bgm3.mp3
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/images/bgm4.mp3 <-Especially listen to this one. mah gawd
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/images/bgm5.mp3

diddyknux
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Dat Aquatic Ambience remix... :thumbs:

Sonic62
01-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I love video game soundtracks, so just listening to this fantastic music makes me want the game. (|^___^|)

DNAbro
01-23-2014, 10:39 PM
The music has literally made me go from barely hyped to incredibly hype omg i need it now. Bravely Default did the same exact thing when I gave that soundtrack a listen.

localretard
02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Levels with the remixes
[ytube:i0z6rfpx]-9qXAjOJGz0[/ytube:i0z6rfpx]

KEM64
02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
It was apparently inevitable that Stickerbrush Symphony would be back in a remix between the fact that Dave Wise was doing the soundtrack and the fact that there's a level with brambles called "Bramble Blast" in the game.

Also, Game Informer gave the game a 9.25 out of 10.

DNAbro
02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Well who else got the game? Got it on friday and spent last night with some friends beating the whole thing in one sitting. About 5 and half hours to do while ignoring collectibles. Was incredibly fun and satisfying.

localretard
02-23-2014, 03:56 PM
I got it as well. I streamed a bit of it the night of it's release.

http://www.twitch.tv/thespeedgamers/b/505128517

WolfAmadeus
02-27-2014, 02:01 AM
I got the game over the weekend and I'm loving it. The music in the game is just incredible. David Wise has done it again!

the1stpkmnfan
03-07-2014, 10:01 PM
This game is great, 'nuff said. Playing as Dixie and Crankey give good additions to the game play. I haven't play much after reaching the first boss, but this game is very challenging! Sad to say that Dixie's ability is more useful than Diddy's.

CurrentLeaf
03-08-2014, 03:25 AM
While I have to say the music, art direction and level design are top notch, I felt like DK himself does not control very well. Maybe I'm just biased from playing a lot of SM3DW recently, but it feels like if you lose Dixie if you even slightly miss-judge a jump you are doomed. Not to say I'm not enjoying the game so far, but this has definitely been sticking out to me. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Twister468
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
My sister got the game for her birthday, so I'll probably be borrowing it from her. But from what I've seem from people playing it on stream, it looks really gorgeous and fun to play.

Slowflake
03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
While I have to say the music, art direction and level design are top notch, I felt like DK himself does not control very well. Maybe I'm just biased from playing a lot of SM3DW recently, but it feels like if you lose Dixie if you even slightly miss-judge a jump you are doomed. Not to say I'm not enjoying the game so far, but this has definitely been sticking out to me. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Hold on hold on hold on. Did they change DK's physics from the last game?

CurrentLeaf
03-10-2014, 12:44 AM
It's been a while since I've played DKCR but It certainly feels that way. I'd have to go back to compare.