PDA

View Full Version : Lightning's Getting Some, Uh... Enhancements? In FFXIII-3.

BM_Panda
07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
An article came up recently regarding a rather amusing change to Lightning in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII 3: Whatever It's Called over on wired (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/final-fantasy-is-dead).

After a bunch of ridiculous talk about Final Fantasy's apparent death (Not a surprising sentiment coming from the "professionals" over at Wired) they got to the real meat and bones... well, just meat, really - of this change:

Q: Has [main character] Lightning gone from a C cup to a D cup?

Goto: Well, Toriyama-san said he wanted them bigger, so…

Toriyama: Hey, don’t try to escape responsibility for this!

Goto: Yes, we made them bigger.

Q. Was it a C cup, up until now? Are her breasts going to jiggle, this time?

Goto: Yes!

Toriyama: It depends on the clothing. Like if she’s wearing corrective underwear.

While this might read like one of P4R's parody articles. that's a direct quote from Nobuhiro Goto and Motomu Toriyama in the most recent Famitsu!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2013/07/lightning_micotte.jpg

What are your thoughts and feelings on this change? I'm seeing a lot of negativity and cries of "Square has lowered themselves to this" from people who have presumably forgotten the existence of Tifa, Lulu, and Fran.

I guess this was just easier than giving Lightning a personality! :thumbs:

Amaterasu
07-31-2013, 08:48 AM
It's rather unnecessary. I just see it as an act of desperation of sorts.

Edit: Okay, maybe not quite "an act of desperation", but I was in a hurry to type this, and this is what happens when I do that. But yeah, making Lightning fanservice-y is not necessary in the slightest, and is slightly depressing. Lowers my already low expectations of this game.

DNAbro
07-31-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't think Toryiama should be allowed to direct anything on any other final fantasy ever again. And I loved XIII. This is just embarrassing.

Kairamek
07-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Why do you say that DNA? Sexuality sells. This is responding to the market as much as anything else. Blame the people who fall for it.

[ Post made via Android ]

Apple314
07-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Aww, no, really? In 2013, the only way they can think to make a female character interesting is to increase her bust size?

GoldGameMaster
07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Not surprised they would do something like this. Just surprised they aren't releasing the enhancements as DLC. If you're going to go this low for sales, might as well go as low as you can.

DNAbro
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Why do you say that DNA? Sexuality sells. This is responding to the market as much as anything else. Blame the people who fall for it.

Who is buying a FF game for boobs? Lightning is an established character, i doubt many people are going to buy it if they weren't already planning to. Toriyama shouldn't touch a game for many reasons, this is one of them.

*will still probably buy it as long as it isn't absolute crap*

Kairamek
07-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Laura Croft is an established character. Her bust size changes every game.

DNAbro
07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
And it makes me wonder. How do they decide something like boob size for games? Apparently Toriyama gets to decide for his team, but in general, are there meetings for this? Cup sizes on a dart board?

BM_Panda
07-31-2013, 06:49 PM
And it makes me wonder. How do they decide something like boob size for games? Apparently Toriyama gets to decide for his team, but in general, are there meetings for this? Cup sizes on a dart board?

I imagine they just go with whatever fits the character's build, personality, or theme.

Unless it's the 90s. Then they just go ham.

lionheart91
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Honestly she doesn't look much bigger in my opinion. Her outfit and pose in the picture in the OP just give the illusion a bigger chest.

MalkanorBek
08-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I can't think of anyone who's actually happy about this change. I mean, what's the point? She is suppose to have several different outfits that they thought she'd probably look better in with a bigger bust. I'd just prefer that they kept everything character model-wise the same unless necessary (like age differences, etc.)

Baltes
08-04-2013, 06:23 AM
i think the whole "sex sells" line is bullshit

this is final fantasy, not dead or alive, if you need tits and ass in a ff game that's what x-2 is for
but lightning? gtfo, i'm with whoever said Toriyama shouldn't be allowed near a FF game
also agreeing with "who is buying final fantasy for boobs" and the whole lightning is an established character thing
somebody also mentioned Lara Crofts breasts increasing every game, this is not true. her breasts stayed consistent. changes were made when they went from being pixelated tit triangles to actual rounded breasts, but until the new game her breasts changed very little
pic for reference http://sites.psu.edu/cee5096/files/2012/10/lara_croft_evolution.jpg
also they are smaller in the newest game, smaller as in nonexistent when compared to the behemoths she was carrying around before.
sexualizing lightning is just...i don't know, but at the same time I can say this:

it seems to be based on what she's wearing, meaning it's linked to the combat, so it makes perfect sense, besides the right bra can give the appearance of a larger bust. FF devs are a lot like Nintendo: they have a long history of giving exactly zero shits about what people outside Japan and they don't take western culture into account when designing these things.
Just because our culture finds sexualization of women in video games to be wrong doesn't make it wrong, it's so easy to criticize Japanese devs and their love for breast physics, but who are we to force our culture on someone else...that's awfully white of us

Pictocheat
08-04-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't care too much about the bigger breasts and jiggling, as long as Toriyama doesn't try to change her personality to be more "sexy" or make her flaunt them all the time (although the picture in the topic creator's post doesn't seem promising).

Baltes
08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't care too much about the bigger * and jiggling, as long as Toriyama doesn't try to change her personality to be more "sexy" or make her flaunt them all the time (although the picture in the topic creator's post doesn't seem promising).
i did forget about the jiggle, but when it comes to delivering something that looks real, or as real as possible...

boobs jiggle
that's the truth
especially if you're running without a sports bra
so yeah, Toriyama may be pervy when he mentions that her boobs jiggle, but until we see it we don't know how much they jiggle, they may move exactly as they would given a women with comparable breast dimensions, if her hair moves, her eyes blink, her lips move, her facial expressions change, her legs, knees, shoulder, etc...if all these things move authentically but her breasts stay static to her body then no. I may not pick up on it, because animated breasts aren't my thing, but If you can do something to make a character seem/feel more alive then go for it, by all means, make her booty clap too.

calling it for Saints Row 4, Twerking minigame

edit: when developers figure out how to accurately simulate a mans bulge and all the possible movement that happens with that, I would have no issues with that being in a game either.

edit 2: when i first heard the breast news about 13-3 i was like WTFFFFF but all we've seen is one pic...of one of her dresspheres, and heard an idiot developer comment and giggle.

BM_Panda
08-04-2013, 10:20 AM
edit: when developers figure out how to accurately simulate a mans bulge and all the possible movement that happens with that, I would have no issues with that being in a game either..

Oh god now I want this so much. It would be hilarious.

Blaumagier
11-20-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm okay with this.

philip0544
11-20-2013, 02:45 AM
This just further reinforces that i will never buy any FF13 game. ever.

caramelslice
11-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Still an unnecessary change. But those costumes are quite cool. One thing I was wondering though...why is there no Squall costume? Out of all the little nods to the previous FF installments, I thought VIII would be the most obvious choice as far as costumes went.

Homura
01-29-2014, 02:32 AM
I honestly find this very interesting. I can't even begin to imagine what their true intentions for this is, but I have some thoughts.
First, it could be a very, very cheap way to get people who only considered getting into the series to actually jump in. But then again, that's a pretty silly idea. Only the people that read the article will know for sure that the, uh... "Feature", if you want to call it that, will be implemented. When you consider that thought, it seems like only the true fans following the series (Does it have fans?) would be aware of it, and that could be more of a bad thing than anything really. If you're a dedicated fan to a series, the last thing you'll probably want to hear is how the directors are spending a lot of time working on "realistic chest movements" (I don't know what else they could attempt considering it as). And even then, there's still the chance you'll get those annoying 12 year olds searching for "fan service" finding out about it, and honestly, that seems like what they're also going for. Baiting younger generations into the franchise in THAT sort of way, which is why I considered it a "very, very cheap" move.
Besides that though, they could be trying something a bit more, err, sincere. It's quite apparent that these sort of "advancements" are becoming much more common in games, even though they've always really been there when you look at the right games (Never played them, but Dead or Alive comes to mind for some reason, though I may be wrong about it). This could be their way of saying "Hey, we're caught up with highly detailed character models too!", or it could go back to idea one. If you show that you're becoming more modernized with little features, people will likely pay more attention to you, even if it is for all the wrong reasons.
But I digress. I've probably spent too much time thinking about this when it most likely goes down to them looking for ideas while there's a box of tissues in the room.