PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 2DS (Yes, you read that correctly)

Meta289
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

This is a thing. This is seriously a thing. I have no words.

...Discuss.

jdtwins2009
08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I'll probably get one... <.<

It's a fantastic idea on Nintendo's part IMO. It gets a child friendly 3(2)DS out there that also gets rid of the 3D warnings that some parents were probably worried about. And it gets it out in the world before Pokémon is out.

cHicKeLoR
08-28-2013, 11:07 AM
well... I thought it was a joke but considering that I don't use the 3d function at all I might consider getting one (if the screen is the same size as the 3dsxl).. if not... it sounds like a relatively good idea for new players

jdtwins2009
08-28-2013, 11:12 AM
The screens are the same size as the original 3DS sadly.

Kennyan
08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't want one since it doesn't fold.. But then I might have felt different about it if I hadn't already had a regular 3DS that I'm perfectly happy with..

Apple314
08-28-2013, 12:00 PM
It looks really odd. Plus, as it doesn't fold, it'll be bulky to carry around. Looks like it would be awkward to hold as well. I still like my original 3DS myself. Reminds me a bit of a tablet TBH.

Nonetheless, I can see the appeal to younger consumers. Especially with Pokemon coming out on the same day, a lot of parents will probably pick them both up for their children.

Shiron
08-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, definitely didn't see this coming... Seems like a weird move to me. Just removing the parallax screen and using a normal one instead can't be saving Nintendo much money--certainly not a $40 difference anyway. And a separate model for such a thing is incredibly weird, considering the 3DS has a slider for controlling the 3D effect and parental controls for it on top of that. The fact that it doesn't seem to be a clamshell design is also pretty weird and seems like it could make it more impractical than the regular 3DS.

But mostly, especially with the Wii U situation, I'm just really fearful that this will just create an immense about of confusion between the DS, 2DS, and 3DS, and which a person should be buying and which does what, etc (especially since the games of course will still be called "3DS games" and advertised as such since that's the name of the family of platforms, so Nintendo will have to do a pretty good job making it clear that the 2DS and 3DS are part of the same family of systems and can play the same games). I mean, when I worked at Toys R Us last year in the R Zone, I had plenty of parents coming in trying to buy gifts for their kids without a real clue which was which and what they needed. This seems like something that would only make that worse. I also imagine that since Nintendo's releasing a separate model for this purpose, it will also cause additional confusion about whether the 3D can be disabled on the 3DS (XL) at all. Really... just confused why Nintendo thinks this move is worth it, over just lowering the price on the 3DS/XL another notch, but we'll see, I guess.

EDIT: One strength is does seem to have going for it though is how it looks like a little toy, combined with the lower price point, might compel parents to buy it for their kids regardless. I suppose we'll just have to see, though.

pkGamerB
08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I honestly think it sounds like a decent enough idea, but I don't like the design of this thing. Kinda reminds me of a modded Wii U gamepad, which isn't ideal for a portable system. I don't have a 3DS yet, and if this thing had a flip screen, I'd probably buy one, since it's cheaper and I don't care about the 3D features anyway. Then again, the fact that they didn't give this a flip screen means that I'll just end up buying a regular 3DS for $40 more, so... well played, Nintendo. This system has a potential niche and won't obsolete the 3DS (and XL). We'll see how well it fits it.

Kennyan
08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Although I could see the appeal of not folding, I imagine a parent would be quite fond of that there are no hinges to break when their young child drops the console for the umpteenth time.. On the other hand the screens will be left unprotected..

Shiron
08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Eh, screen protectors, which they really should be using anyway if they're worried about that. Plus, this means no upper-screen scratching the lower-screen problems or anything.

[ Post made via Android ]

Sangome
08-28-2013, 02:02 PM
It seems to me that Nintendo is trying to wiggle itself into the tablet market with this. The design certainly makes me think of one.

I don't honestly see the point of this though? Like, you can already shut the 3D down entirely on the normal 3DS, and you can even turn on the parental controls if you don't want to accidentally kick it on at some point. I guess the reduced price would be the main draw, but with the lack of the clamshell design, it just seems so super bulky to me. But I guess I'm not the target audience for this particular system, as it's more geared towards kids.

Shiron
08-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Yeah, it seems the main point of the device, similar to how the DSi XL was originally geared towards people like the elderly, people who have vision problems or trouble handling a smaller device, etc, they're trying to target really young kids with the 2DS, which would make the combination of the lower price and the bulky toy-laptop/phone/Etch-A-Sketch like design would work well with and make a lot of sense from that perspective. Definitely still worried about people getting this, the DS Lite, and the 3DS, mixed up and getting confused, but putting that aside, the actual design and pricepoint make sense to me. I suppose we'll just have to see what actually ends up happening, though.

caramelslice
08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
A lot of us might be scoffing at the design now, but they know exactly who they're gearing this towards. It's a sturdy handheld for the little ones at an affordable price. Parents will be all over this.

the1stpkmnfan
08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
For kids, sure, I'll be passive about it despite it's look. But for me, I'm going to pass. Since I already have a 3DS, and I'm personally not in favor of having the 2DS being unfold-able.

It's appropriate for Nintendo's specific audience; that's all fine and dandy. Who knows how it'll perform once it launches.

Better investment than a 3DSi, I suppose.

Slowflake
08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
A lot of us might be scoffing at the design now, but they know exactly who they're gearing this towards. It's a sturdy handheld for the little ones at an affordable price. Parents will be all over this.

Here's to hoping that assessment is correct and it doesn't turn out to be purely accidental because it turned out to be meant for us.

Kairamek
08-28-2013, 03:20 PM
And just in time for a new pokeymanz

[ Post made via Android ]

Shiron
08-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Here's to hoping that assessment is correct and it doesn't turn out to be purely accidental because it turned out to be meant for us.
Definitely targeting kids:
http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-ninte ... 1214807721 (http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-nintendo-2ds-no-thats-not-a-typo-1214807721)

"We expect consumers to use it just the way they use a current 3DS," Fils-Aime said. "And, really, from a target standpoint, this is designed for that entry-level gamer. For a family of four with two kids, when you're looking at spending either $169.99 or $199.99 for two this holiday, now you've got a more affordable choice with Nintendo 2DS."

But Nintendo isn't disavowing 3D. What they are acknowledging is that they've long recommended the 3DS' 3D effects only for gamers seven and up. If the 3DS' 3D is a deterrent keeping parents from buying their child a new Nintendo handheld, the 2DS does away with that. It's fitting that such a system would come out day and date with the biggest, newest release in the kid-friendly Pokemon series. "This device allows us to get to that five or six-year-old demographic," Fils-Aime said, "But in terms of the Pokemon demographic, you and I know that it's six to 66."

Sangome
08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the more I think about the reasoning for it, the more it makes sense to me. It's more affordable for middle-to-lower-income families whose kids really want the system. The lack of a clamshell design is wacky, but again, if it's for kids, a kid would be more likely to break one of those in half.

Plus, with Pokemon just a little more than a month away, methinks they're about to make a pretty decent chunk of change.

Slowflake
08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah. Now the question is, are the parents educated enough to know that thing's meant to play 3DS games, and doesn't have its own dedicated 2DS library? I mean, you have the DS, the 2DS and the 3DS. As well as the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS XL. At this point it's getting near impossible for the non-educated person to know what's an upgrade of what and what's an entirely new system compared to what (heck, many of these people seem to think the Wii U is just a new Wii model). And here I thought the Xbox One's naming scheme was stupid.

localretard
08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah. Now the question is, are the parents educated enough to know that thing's meant to play 3DS games, and doesn't have its own dedicated 2DS library? I mean, you have the DS, the 2DS and the 3DS. As well as the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS XL. At this point it's getting near impossible for the non-educated person to know what's an upgrade of what and what's an entirely new system compared to what (heck, many of these people seem to think the Wii U is just a new Wii model). And here I thought the Xbox One's naming scheme was stupid.
Just a quick correction: DS lite isn't going to be an issue with parents unless their shopping preowned. It's not being sold in retail anymore. That's not to negate your point as it is very valid.

My only hope is that people will understand the _DS names as opposed to the DS_ namesand follow that logic. It is nonsensical, and it will result in MANY confused grandmass come Christmas time, but all in all I think the generation who will primarily be buying these for their children are likely the same ones who are informed on gaming news and looking forward to GTA5 anyway. We'll just have to see though.

Meta289
08-28-2013, 06:16 PM
I honestly don't have too much of a problem with the design. I find it Game Boy-esque.

Now that I've had time to really think about it, I think of it as a stupid idea, yet it somehow just works.

Hartross
08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I just saw this too. Seriously wtf nintendo surely people that don't want to play in 3d do what I do and just turn the 3d off? This handheld seems so pointless

Shiron
08-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Eh, the more I think of it, the whole "2DS" and lack-of-3D part of the system seems to be the "focus" only for marketing reasons and purposes and having an avenue to rely on to market it, without directly calling it a kiddie-version of the system or introductory system or having anything of the sort be the primary focal point, as that may naturally turn some kids who would have otherwise wanted the system away from it (as most kids don't want things that are obvious about being targeted toward them).

In other words, pretty much the whole 2D stuff is stuff that seems to be there just to be able to distract younger kids and not reveal the true purpose of the system to them, which will nonetheless be apparent to their parents: a much more market-price version of the system that's much more targeted toward younger children, both in terms of appearance/aesthetics (with these aesthetic changes, in addition to making the device look like an introductory-tablet type device, making it appealing to parents who want to get their children such a device but don't feel their ready for an actual iPad or anything yet, also due to getting rid of the clamshell design making it much more appealing to parents in general who know that younger children can be prone to being rough with their belongings, especially when they get excited, or prone to accidentally or carelessly dropping the system, and thus damage the hinges of a clamshell device with this no longer being a problem anymore, and has the additional personal benefit toward Nintendo of making it easy for onlookers to look at what the person is doing on both screens from more angles and thus potentially get more people interested) and the removal of a feature that could be detrimental to them at that stage. The combination of the price, the change in appearance, are the type of things that would make a device like the 3DS more appealing to such parents.

Really, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. The only thing that worries me is the name, but we'll see what happens with that.

Apple314
09-03-2013, 08:16 AM
This (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/02/nintendo-2ds-predicted-as-april-fools-joke-in-2011/) made me laugh a lot more then it probably should have...

Trust, Me I Got This
09-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok, I don't mind the idea of a 2D, 3DS. In fact, I NEVER use the 3D on my 3DS. But seriously this thing is designed so fucking poorly, the fact that it doesn't even close like a normal DS/3DS just makes it a nuisance and ruins its portability.

Also Nintendo really do not have any idea when it comes to picking names for their consoles. You' think they'd learn from the debacle that is Wii U, but apparently not.

Shiron
09-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Design's fine due to the target audience:
1.) Extremely young kids don't really care about the whole sleek, minimalist look adults do.
2.) Getting rid of the clamshell design makes it look more like a tablet and that combined with its rough look makes it look like an introductory, toy-tablet device, making it appealing for parents to get rid of their younger children.
3.) Younger children can be extremely rough with their toys or prone to accidentally dropping them, risking the possibility that they break the hinges in a clamshell device. This doesn't have that problem.

As for portability... It's just as portable as iPads are. Something doesn't need to be pocketable to be portable and that's one thing I think that the parents buying these things for their kids will be able to understand.

knarfelyk
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I could see how this would be quite an attractive option for parents of younger children. But on the other hand, it seems like a downgrade from the 3DS, so anyone that already has one has almost no incentive for buying the 2DS.

Also, since I actually like it when games make an attempt to use the 3D feature, I'm hoping this isn't a sign that Nintendo is losing interest in improving the 3D capabilities.

philip0544
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Well I, for one at least, will not be getting one. its just ugly and pointless in my eyes. But at the same time, i can understand why they're doing it. so, ehhhh, thats about all i have to say about that.

XModxGodX
09-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I find it mildly amusing that Nintendo releases Dream Team where the very first battle involved using the 3D to dodge the enemy's attack and the next month announces the 2DS.

ShonnaRose
09-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I can see the appeal of the 2DS for parents, but I don't see it for individuals like ourselves. I will not be picking one up. I don't like the design. I'd rather just have a second 3DS than to buy a 2DS. That's just my personal opinion on the manner, however.

Kennyan
09-24-2013, 12:19 PM
It's not meant to appeal to those of us who already have a 3DS, that's the whole point.. It's a redesign meant to reel in the people who didn't feel that the 3DS was a good fit..

zion777
09-24-2013, 01:21 PM
I think it was primarily aimed for those on a smaller budget and for younger kids. I mean a lot of people will be wanting pokemon for their kids and this is perfect for that.

Heufneutje
09-25-2013, 06:00 AM
I like having the option of 3D on my 3DS even though I don't really use it that much. And to me this idea seems really pointless. But I can kinda see where Nintendo is coming from with this. Seeing as the Wii U doesn't really sell all that well they gotta make their money some other way.

90HeroMAXD
09-26-2013, 04:13 AM
I'm fine with the concept. If I didn't already own a 3DS I would've just bought a 2DS, though the design is just ugly so I would've passed.

pkGamerB
10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
After having let it sink in a bit, I'm seriously contemplating buying one of these over a normal 3DS (don't want an XL at all, too big, too expensive). Someone talk me down! Or alternately, convince me to go for it!

Pros:
- $40 cheaper than a regular 3DS (why did I think this only cost $99?) I can get a game to split the difference!
- It's actually a tad shorter than a 3DS, with the same size screens. It's only slightly bigger than the 3DS XL is while closed.
- Having the option would be nice, but I don't really mind missing out on 3D.
- I usually only take handhelds out of the house on the rare road/plane trip, in which case I'll have a suitcase to stow it in.
- Slightly better or at least about the same battery life.
- 4GB memory card, compared to 3DS' 2GB.

Cons:
- Lack of clamshell (even though I'd only use it at home, it's nice for moving between rooms). This is my biggest issue.
- Mono-only speakers (remedied by use of headphones, which I use anyway).
- Just barely wider and heavier than the original 3DS (only 25g and 10mm difference).
- Having not actually played a 2DS, I'm not crazy about the high-placed buttons, but I know it's so you can reach L and R.

So yeah, it turns out there's actually more things I like about it than I dislike, but the lack of a clamshell is a big deal breaker. I think I need to see one up close to get a real feel for it.

Kennyan
10-09-2013, 11:05 PM
It not being a clamshell also makes me wonder who it will handle sleep mode, maybe not that much of a difference to you since you state you'll mostly keep it at home.. But still worth a pondering since many people keep it in sleep mode for street pass when they're out..

jdtwins2009
10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I leave my 3DS on ALL times, only time it's off completely is when it's dead.
I carry mine (3DS XL) with me in my backpack whenever I take that with me, or my pocket when I don't have my bag.

The XL is simply better overall in my opinion, larger screens just feel better when playing the game. Plus it's not as small (obviously) and reduces hand cramps that I would experience from the original 3DS.

I haven't used the 2DS but I think the hand cramp thing wont be an issue, or so it seems. I could be wrong about that though.
I'm going to get a 2DS eventually, just for the sake of having it but I'll always prefer my XL.

pkGamerB
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Browsing the internet today, I found this nifty little photo set that shows various 2DS size comparisons to almost any handheld you can think of, several controllers, and a few random objects. It's really not as clunky as it initially seemed, measuring in at about the size of a 3DS game box, or two Game Boy Pockets sitting side by side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmgice/set ... 607859614/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmgice/sets/72157636607859614/)

I actually kinda like it, but I won't be getting one now, since I just ordered a Nintendo-refurbished 3DS for $20 cheaper. Speaking of which, Nintendo just knocked down the price of a refurbished 3DS XL (http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&currency=USD&ignoreCrumbs=Y&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C3%88%C3%89%C3%87&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=&searchText=&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=207710&categoryId=70706&lastAction=CategoryDisplay&orderTotal=&tranId=0&jktranid=&rpComment=&dropOff=) to $149.99 this week. Too bad they didn't do that before I ordered my original. So anyone who wants an XL should jump on that.