PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Gaming Memories

pkGamerB
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
As gamers, we've all had video game related moments that stand out above the rest, and this thread is all about celebrating those moments. It could be a certain scene in a game that moved you (please spoiler tag anything major!), or finally beating a boss that gave you so much trouble. Heck, it could even be a memorable story about how you got a certain game, or a fun time you had playing it with friends.

Just to list a few of mine:

- Getting both Pokemon Red and Blue for my 9th birthday after my dad tricked me the night before and told me he couldn't find either one. Also, trading with my friends to complete the Pokedex for the first time.

- Around age 6, playing A Link to the Past for the first time and reaching the first boss was like the most awesome thing ever.

- Visiting my uncle's house and playing EarthBound as a kid.

That's all I'll mention for now to keep this post from getting too long. What are some of your favorite gaming memories? Doesn't matter how recent it is as long as it's meaningful to you.

MattThePatrat
09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
- Getting the Nintendo 64 for Christmas (my first console) and playing my first game (Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer).
- First time beating a game (Super Mario 64 DS) (I was never very good at games when I was younger)
- Finally beating Banjo-Kazooie for the first time after owning the game for about 10 years (I was stuck on the final boss for about 2 months).
- Playing my first main series Pokemon Game (Pokemon Black).
- Beating Rayman 2 in one sitting (took me about 4 hours and 15 minutes).

Apple314
09-06-2013, 11:54 AM
After asking for a GBC since the summer, where my friends had shown me theirs, and waiting and waiting, as my parents said "Santa might bring you one for Christmas" and waiting as they ate breakfast slowly, we settled down around the tree. I finally got it. A GBC and a copy of Pokemon Yellow. It was my first console, and I must have been about 8.

I put the game in and turned it own, and after about two weeks of playing, I finally beat the Elite Four. They took forever, as I only had a level 80-something Pidgeot with a rubbish moveset and a load of low level other Pokemon. I also hadn't figured out how it use items. And I actually thought Pidgeot was good. :fail:

Then they told me I had to beat one more person. My rival... I managed to do it, somehow, and ended up yelling myself hoarse at 8am. My parents weren't very happy. But I was, as I'd done it. And then I proceeded to do it again. And again. To beat the E4&Champion for the first time on my first Pokemon game... it's a feeling that has never been replicated in all of my years.

MalkanorBek
09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
My first video game memory is probably my favorite. I was 3 years old the Christmas my brothers got a Nintendo 64. They already had a NES and SNES, but never let me play it because I was too young. After their initial opening and excitement of the new system, one of my brothers let me watch him play Super Mario 64 for a few hours. When he was done, he let me take over. Of course, I died several times, but it was just so fun! I'd never seen a game so enticing. I forget how old I was when I finally beat Mario for the first time (anywhere from 3-5), but playing it for the first time is the moment that brought me into gaming.

Other moments surround JRPGs, my favorite gaming genre. My brother (same brother that let me play Mario all those years ago), loved RPGs, and always played them. I'd watch them because I loved the stories. MY brother only had one problem with RPGs, and that was grinding. He couldn't take the tedious work. Eventually, we decided that I'd do all the level grinding for him in exchange for money of a Frosty from Wendy's. Grinding is my favorite part of RPGs, especially ones like Grandia (the very first RPG I grinded for my brother) where you have to level up your magic and skills along with your character levels. It adds so much more opportunity for grinding besides just battling regularly.

Because of all the grinding I did for my brother, I can't play certain RPGs without doing it. I get to level 10 on the first dungeon in Grandia (anyone who has played that game would know how ridiculous that is considering you get 2-4 exp from each monster). I can't even play the Lunar (SSSC/EBC) games without grinding to level 25 on the first location with monsters. I used to level to level 20 in Final Fantasy IX before the first BOSS boss, but then I realized the character you get afterwards always starts at level 1, so I was able to only grind to level 5 or so after a few playthroughs.

ZebraGoomba
09-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, I can remember one from a long time ago. I was probably 6 and my cousin was 8 and we were playing Skies if Arcadia. We were at Shrine Island (the first dungeon of the game) and we got to the boss. Because we were kids, we just couldn't play RPGs. We were terrible, even though there was no real strategy except attack and heal occasionally. The boss killed us a few times, but there was one time where I tried it while sitting in this red plush Sesame Street chair, and I beat it. We both deemed the chair the "gamer chair," so that whoever sat in it would have good luck. I think we kept that concept later on when he got an actual gaming chair.

Another time, me and the same cousin, as well as one more cousin who was older than us, were playing some Lord of the Rings RTS (just looked it up; I believe it's called Battle for Middle Earth). My oldest cousin was playing because he was good at this kind of stuff. Anyway, there was this cave level with a dragon flying around outside and he tried to take it on. Needless to say, his forces were crushed and he retreated inside the cave. He set up a bunch of barracks and armories inside to prepare for later and he went inside the cave. After wandering around forever, he apparently had gone in a circle and came back to find a HUGE army of men and decided he might as well take on the dragon while he's there. It was just funny to us because we didn't expect the cave to loop around in a circle and we were greeted by a large army that we'd forgotten about.

Finally, there was the time I was little and I turned off Pokemon Yellow WITHOUT SAVING when I got poisoned for the first time, because apparently I thought there was a problem, not with the game, not with the Gameboy, but with the batteries of all things. I still look back on that and laugh.

zion777
09-07-2013, 08:06 AM
To me the greatest memory and what I feel is my great lost of growing older as a gamer is that love and passion I had for each and every game I got my hands on. I recall playing hundreds of hours of games that only took twenty to beat. Searching everywhere for any hidden secrets and rarely ever finding them. I recall going through the Link's Awakening for at least a year or two. At one point when stuck, I got the shovel and dug every piece of ground that I could determined the secret was there somewhere. I feel like I used to love games. Perhaps it changed when I worked at GameStop and played so many so fast or something, but the complete wonderment and feeling of awe from games has been last too me.

So my greatest memories are those I have of playing games like Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Crash Bandicoot, and several others that i spent large chuncks of my childhood loving every moment of. Guess it comes with growing older and busier but I miss that.

untuxable
09-07-2013, 06:30 PM
My first console was a Playstation. My brother and I got it when I was about 5 or so, and I was immediately enthralled. The first game I remember playing was Crash Bandicoot. My brother and would trade off lives, trying to beat the hard levels (DARN YOU SLIPPERY SLOPES). I can also remember playing the other Crash games, specifically CTR and Crash Bash, the Spyro trilogy, and Jet Moto.

knarfelyk
09-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't think I have any specific memories of playing games. Possibly because I've lived around gaming for as long as I can remember, my first system was a NES or possibly an ATARI my grandparents own (I think they still have it). I also cant really think of any specific scenes in games that have any special meaning for me. Thinking back to growing up, I think what I've always loved about gaming (especially RPGs) is the story, and how I could play (or watch my brother play) for hours on end and really just get lost within a different world and seeing how characters within those games react and grow from the situations they get thrown into.

It seems kind of silly to me now, but I think I learned a lot from games growing up. Whether it was learning logic from puzzles in games, or being inspired by the virtues of characters who decide to freely sacrifice themselves for the good of others, I feel like video games have been one of the best things to impact my life.

supersonicrulz101
09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
My favorite memory of video gaming is the first time me and my sister completing Pokemon Crystal for the very first time. Let me set it up for you: Me and my sister were in Vietnam in 2005 for a family vacation. It was way past midnight in Vietnamese time, if memory serves, and me and my sister were playing Pokemon Crystal, all the way to the Johto League Champion, Lance. It was a really hard final match, but ultimately me and my sister finally defeated Pokemon Crystal for the first time. A very happy memory for us! :3

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Shiron
09-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Getting an N64 as a kid--it was my first console, and I can remember when I saw it wrapped up, I was almost positive it was an N64, and I was so happy when I found out I was right. Of course, at first, I had pretty much no confidence in my gaming ability and just adored watching my Mom play stuff like Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and the "story mode" of Diddy Kong Racing. Of course, I did eventually start enjoying playing stuff like Super Mario 64 and racing games like Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Cruisin' USA, and Beetle Adventure Racing, but I was more than happy just getting to spend time with my Mom and and watching as she played those games and did things I didn't think myself capable of at first.

Of course, like I said, by this point the tides have pretty much turned there, but yeah, that short period following getting an N64 and mostly just watching my Mom play through whatever would probably be mine~ <3. ^_^

mayday22
09-08-2013, 12:13 AM
I would say probably "helping" my Dad play Duck Hunt when I was a little kid. <3

philip0544
09-08-2013, 02:10 AM
oooh now this is a good topic. where to begin? Well, my earliest gaming memories are of games like putt putt and richard scary for the PC. I played those at a very young age. I also remember watching my brother play the Super Nintendo, with games like ALttP, Mario World, and DKC2.
my first game console was a game boy color, with pokemon red and pokemon pinball. i must have been... oh, 6?
One memory that is super random but has stuck in my mind all these years is me at age 9 or 10 just sitting in my grandma's sunroom in the middle of winter, bundled up in some blankets and playing pokemon silver. random, but its a fantastic memory imo. just very peaceful and awesome.

pkGamerB
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Other moments surround JRPGs, my favorite gaming genre. My brother (same brother that let me play Mario all those years ago), loved RPGs, and always played them. I'd watch them because I loved the stories. MY brother only had one problem with RPGs, and that was grinding. He couldn't take the tedious work. Eventually, we decided that I'd do all the level grinding for him in exchange for money of a Frosty from Wendy's. Grinding is my favorite part of RPGs, especially ones like Grandia (the very first RPG I grinded for my brother) where you have to level up your magic and skills along with your character levels. It adds so much more opportunity for grinding besides just battling regularly.Haha, that almost sounds like me and my sister. She'd always watch me play stuff like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and other RPGs. I wish I would've thought to let her do the grinding, though.

I thought of a few more of my favorite memories. When I was about 7 years old, my family was going on a long road trip, and my mom bought me Link's Awakening (2nd Zelda game I played, 1st one I owned) to play during the car ride. I played the crap out of that game for the entire trip.

Another memory is playing NBA Hangtime on the N64 with my dad. I wasn't even a basketball fan back then, but the over-the-top dunks and lack of rules made it a ton of fun to play.

Lastly, the first time I fought Masa and Mune in Chrono Trigger has always stood out to me for some reason, even though it's fairly early in the game. I think that's the first point in the game where the second boss theme plays, and it just gave 8/9 year old me a sense that shit just got real.

Great posts guys, keep 'em comin!

rudy06
09-08-2013, 09:01 PM
There are quite a few, but some of the main ones I'll try and jot down what I remember.

Playing Duck Hunt with my grandma (we call her gran.) We would sit and she would kick my butt in it. To this day, she will still ask randomly if I still have it because she wants to play.

Second memory is with my grandpa. We used to drive to Kentucky every year around my birthday to visit my great, great grandma. The extra house we stayed in didn't have any plumbing...which made for really long weeks, lol. However one year I remember playing Maze Craze Cops and Robbers with my grandpa all night. He has never played any other video games that I know of, but just playing such a simple game with him remains a good memory.

Other than that...I, like some of you, have tons of memories of rpgs. My cousin and I grew up playing them. He introduced me to both Suikoden and Wild Arms. The first time I ever saw Suikoden was on a save file of his brother's. He named the main character 2PAC...Nothing like have Tupac gather 108 stars of Destiny and end a war. From there we played almost any rpg you can think of on the PS1. As we went through elementary school, we slowly got more and more friends to start playing rpgs. I still remember one of my friends named all of his characters the name of his sister if he didn't like them. XD

[ Post made via Android ]

DwarfInASuit
09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Oh man, expect a lot of posts from me in here. You'll laugh, you'll cry (from laughter), and you'll pee your pants (from crying(from laughter)). Here's one:

Now this one dates awhile back, I think I was a Sophomore in High School. Now during High School, I played a lot of videos games (mostly WoW, but I'll cover that one later), and one of the games I played first during High School was Half Life 2. A friend bought me the bundle when it was on sale, and I played that crap out of those games. This story is specifically about Half Life 2: Episode 2 (And there are gameplay spoilers, just so you know). Now during the last act of HL2: E2, you're dumped in this large area with multiple landmarks like flour mills or factories, and you have to defend the area from an onslaught of soldiers, stalkers, and striders. The striders are the difficult part, in fact they introduced a new way to fight them specifically with Magnisson Devices, which you would throw on their bodies, and shoot in order to kill the strider. Simple right? Oh no. I failed that mission endless times just by getting overwhelmed by so many enemies. Heck, now that I'm talking about it, I remember asking my brother to help me with it and he even failed at it. It was hard, horrible, and made me very sad. But of course, I was a stupid High School student, and I wouldn't let a game hurt my shame. It was midnight when I dived in one more time. Everyone in the house was asleep, I had school tomorrow, and I still had to finish my homework, but I wouldn't be stopped. The bloodlust was upon me, and I was going to sink my teeth into this games neck and finally deliver the killing blow. With my sweaty palms gripping (or at least trying to) my cheap $5 mouse, and my quivering fingers dancing over my keyboard, the game had just begun. I jumped from point to point, defending each and every structure from the endless raid. But not without cost, as each fight left me bruised, battered, and closer to a death. Stalkers hunted me, soldiers assaulted me, and the striders made my very existence miserable. It was like before, as I started weakening, I started slowing down, each structure began to fall, and I was closer to game over. I had sunk so much time into this, from dawn until dusk I've been dashing between these points, fighting until death. My core was shaken, and I was committed to cease this. Giving up was not an option. I remember the time well, 12:32, Monday Morning. The final wave was here, and they were about to win. I was the only one capable of stopping them, so I got into my buggy, and set myself a course for death. It was a slaughter, the soldiers died one by one, the stalkers followed, I could see victory was close. My heart pounding, my brain racing, sweat leaked from every pore in my body and I was shaking like an earthquake. I finished cleaning up the enemies on the other side of the map, only to hear that the last units were narrowing in on the final point, far far away. I got in my buggy, and I raced all the way there. It was just one stalker and one strider, and they were on top of the point, seconds away from winning. I would never have this. I sped up, I couldn't control my buggy anymore. I checked my weapons, I was clean out of ammo, except for my pistol. I had a single Magnusson on my buggy, there was no other way to take down the strider. I had one shot, and I had to make it. I swerved my rampaging buggy forward, ramming it into the back of the stalker, smearing it over my windshield. I jumped from it, grabbed the Magnusson from the back, and wildly threw it in the direction of the strider. I took out my pistol, and fired one Hail Mary shot right as the strider prepared to take its shot. The bullet collided with the Magnusson milliseconds after it landed on the striders back, ending my day long terror.

I ran outside, and shouted to the world: "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS"

It was probably the most tense moment I've had with a game in years (However there are more exciting moments to come _spy_ ).

Yeah it's kinda cheesy, but it's one of my favorite memories. I'll have some more later.

WolfAmadeus
09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
My favorite memory is when I first got DKC for the SNES. I remember I couldn't make it past the third world but one time when my cousin came over for a visit, she made it past the third world and even beat the final boss. So everytime my cousin came over I would make her beat the game for me and I wouldn't let anyone touch the SNES until the ending was over. Now I don't need her to beat the game, but everytime I play DKC I remember that time.

Froznpanther
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
The one game that kept my friends and I together. The Hours of repetitive Special attacks in Super Smash Bros. The arguments and the trash talks and the inevitable "In your Face!" Good times

Others I have are how the Guitar Hero franchise could bring my Mom, two younger brothers and loads of friends to all join in Band play or just 4 guitars, for hours upon days. Seeing my Mom go from beginner to playing hard and enjoying the music she grew up with (and raised me on) and lots of the music we have today. I miss those days.

Today, I am guilty of bringing my Mom into the World of Warcraft in 2006. She is still an avid player at the age of 51, including taking everything I taught her and excelling in every attribute. She inst addicted. In fact its thanks to people she met on World of Warcraft she has a place to live today (Hard times while I was away in school nearly left her homeless, her guild offered her a place to live. She was able to bounce back because of them.)

zion777
09-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Today, I am guilty of bringing my Mom into the World of Warcraft in 2006. She is still an avid player at the age of 51, including taking everything I taught her and excelling in every attribute. She inst addicted. In fact its thanks to people she met on World of Warcraft she has a place to live today (Hard times while I was away in school nearly left her homeless, her guild offered her a place to live. She was able to bounce back because of them.)

Quite awesome for a number of reasons! One your mom plays WoW! Secondly, I love hearing about people truly reaching out and helping others!

If only there was a website that played games nonstop for periods of time to help various charities or something...

pkGamerB
09-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Today, I am guilty of bringing my Mom into the World of Warcraft in 2006. She is still an avid player at the age of 51, including taking everything I taught her and excelling in every attribute. She inst addicted. In fact its thanks to people she met on World of Warcraft she has a place to live today (Hard times while I was away in school nearly left her homeless, her guild offered her a place to live. She was able to bounce back because of them.)Oh wow (no pun intended), that's really cool! Why can't the media ever quote stories like this about video games instead of same old "violent video games made this person go batshit crazy and shoot people" stuff?

LegendOfCookies
09-22-2013, 12:09 PM

That's a really great story and it just makes me feel so happy to think that people would be so kind. It breaks the stigma that gamers are lazy and inconsiderate people.

Chimrango
09-22-2013, 08:53 PM
One of my favorites is Christmas following the release of the Wii. I had begged my parents for it, but there was little hope I would receive it. However, at the end of all the present opening, they sent me on a scavenger hunt around my house until at last, I found the Wii hidden in our hall closet.

Also, I remember in the fifth grade all the discussions my best friend and I had in planning what we would do with Diamond and Pearl once they came out.

Hartross
09-23-2013, 03:06 AM
Fishing in OoT, there's something oddly addictive about it

Snowy620
09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
For memories of just playing by myself, probably some of the times I had with Pokemon GSC or RBE. All of them were a lot of fun for me and I have some of the best memories with them.

But for playing with others, either playing LBP with some friends of mine online or the times I've had in Halo: Reach. Me and some friends sat down one day and finished Reach on Legendary in one sitting and that was so incredibly fun. We still run that game sometimes because it's just so fun.

diddyknux
09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
I've not really sure. Family wise, my brother and I played Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country through together, so that's kinda cool.

Most of my gaming is solo, though. Beating Ocarina of Time the first time was a good one. I still remember my first experience with Sonic Adventure 2 being very enjoyable, and I loved the ending. Still do, actually.

There was one time that stands out, though. It was one of my friend's birthdays. A bunch of us stayed over at his house that night and just played a bunch of games. Sly Cooper, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Super Smash Bros Melee, a bunch of stuff. Just awesome, good times.

Lulu_Sama
11-10-2013, 02:39 AM
Gaming memory. Let's see.

Okay, so growing up I had two older brothers and while I would play games with them, I wasn't too fussed about them, but would always sit and watch them play games like Mortal Kombat, Sonic and Mario etc.
What really defined me, what really made me take an interest in gaming happened when I was 11 years old. My mother had bought a Playstation the previous Christmas, and again, I wasn't really that fussed, I enjoyed playing Tekken 2 as it was a stress reliever and was fun to play with friends. But that wasn't what got me into games, not really.
I had gotten a really good report from school and had improved my grades dramatically and as a reward, my mum decided that she would treat me to a brand new game. Not really knowing what was available at the time, I said I would meet her in town and we'd pick something out together. Little did I know that on that particular day, a certain game had just been released in the UK. So there I am, in Electronics Boutique, browsing all of these really cool looking games, when one catches my eye. It had a rather plain cover compared to the rest, and it made me wonder how awesome it could be that it didn't need a really fancy cover. I picked it up and on closer inspection saw that it had a pale green meteor set on a white background. You guessed it guys, it was Final Fantasy VII.
It didn't take me long to make the decision of buying the game, and almost 17 years later that copy is still sat on my shelf along with the others in the series. Only now, it has Nobuo Uematsu's signature on it.

cHicKeLoR
11-10-2013, 08:20 AM
-getting my first console (original GB).
-playing and beating Dragon Warrior Monsters. (I do not know how many hours I put into that game).
-playing StarCraft/Warcraft (the rts games) with my friends.
-beating the Gothic games (not counting anything after 3).

xXiiWhiteFoxiiXx
11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Back in the day 16BitGeek and I were playing Super Mario Sunshine, and we sat in a race-car bed acting like we were on a road trip. And we forced my new dog to stay under the bed, he didn't like me to much because of that lol.

pkGamerB
11-11-2013, 01:03 AM
A bit of an outside the box memory that I just thought of the way the game sections in Toys 'R' Us was set up in the 90s. Instead of having them in a case or in the plastic anti-theft boxes they're often in nowadays, back then, they had shelves with pictures of each game/system's box art on display, and with each one was a sleeve filled with little "tickets" you'd take to an employee to get your game. Looking back on it now, that might be a little annoying to have to do since they had to get it from back in the storage room iirc, because there was no actual game section, just a few aisles dedicated to those tickets. Back then, I thought it was so cool though.

That also reminds me of how fun just walking around and window shopping in game stores was as a kid. Even if I wasn't buying anything that day, just seeing what new games were out or coming soon was great, back when the internet was a joke compared to the speeds of today. As small as Gamestop is, I could browse a store like that for a good half hour or more, playing demos and collecting fliers as I went along. These days, I don't even set foot in a game store unless I know exactly what I'm buying, which is both a gift and a curse of modern day internet, I guess.

jdtwins2009
11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Whenever we went grocery shopping at Walmart/Kmart/Target I would always run to the toy section and the game section while my mom got the groceries. I loved to look at all the games and play the demos.

The thing that sunk the hook on gaming for me was the Christmas I got my own console, the gameboy color. I had boxes my mom gave me. The first one I opened was Game and Watch 9 (might have been a different number... I really should find a new copy of it) and I KNEW what was in the other box. I was so ecstatic.
I ended up playing that game for the entire day it seemed like.

Still one of my favorite memories ever.

Have a few other gaming memories but I'll stop here

[ Post made via Android ]

thewowgamer
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
got so many great memories.

--seeing the big boxes wrapped under the tree and you just know they were the SNES and N64 for each respected Christmas.

--beating mario and zelda 1 for the first time

--pretty much beating any game for the first time, especially final fantasy, long games, etc

--in world of Warcraft, it was getting my first 60 in vanilla, my first legendary in WotLK, and more recently completing the legendary fel fire quest and the legendary story line quests in mists. also killing the end bosses for each expansion give you that sense of completion, even from an MMO standpoint.