PDA

View Full Version : FTL (Faster Than Light) Discussion

Overload
09-28-2013, 11:17 PM
FTL was included in a recent Humble Bundle, and it is extremely replayable. It's essentially a space rogue-like with strategic elements, like choosing how to direct your spaceship's power, fighting off intruders, repairing damage, choosing which part of the enemy ship to attack, and more. I've only made it to the final stage twice, and failed both times. I'm using the Torus ship at the moment as it's the only one I've unlocked.

How far have you all made it?

Apple314
09-29-2013, 07:48 AM
I've made it out of the first sector once, and that was by avoiding all possible battles and getting lucky. I haven't played it that much, however.

kmmgreen5
09-29-2013, 09:53 AM
First run i made it to the very end and the boss but i was so underpowered i was doomed. I think i have the engine ship unlocked :Va ... i just love shouting commands to myself like DIVERT POWER TO MAIN SHEILDS, FIRE IN THE ENGINE ROOM, THERES NO RESPONSE!

i should play some more so i can get more trading cards

[ Post made via Android ]

untuxable
09-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I've played it enough to the point where I can almost always get to the final boss in whatever ship I'm using. I've only beaten it twice, though, and both times on easy.

Right now, I've got these ships:

Standard Ship 1&2
Engie ship 1&2
Stealth ship 1
Crystal Cruiser 1 (This one is CRAZY hard to get)
The ship you get for beating the game 1&2

Trying to work on getting the rock ship. Not even gonna bother with the Mantis ship for a while, you have to have a lot of stuff to do that one right.

knarfelyk
09-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm still at the point where when I play, I play on easy. Because its soooo hard on normal.

According to my stats, I've played 53 times and only won 3 times. And I'm pretty sure those were all on easy.
I've unlocked both A&B ships for the Kestral, Stealth, Mantis, Engi, Federation, and Zoltan.

I think my favorite ship of those is the Mantis type B ship, where I put a huge priority on getting to 4 mantis crew members, then just sending them over using the teleporter. This usually works pretty well, especially after the crew levels up their fighting skill. The biggest problem though is if the enemy has a medbay, I absolutely have to disable it to stand a chance to wipe the enemy crew. And those automated, unmanned ships are super annoying.

One tip if you're having a ton of trouble is to not rush through sectors, you want to basically get to the exit at the very last jump before the rebel fleet reaches that location. This way you can accumulate as much scrap as possible to get your ship upgraded as much as possible by the end, because you're gonna need everything you can get to beat the boss at the end.

Also, focus on upgrading your ship based on its strengths, I remember two of my three wins, once with the mantis ship, I wiped out all the crew on the boss during its first stage, which made the remaining stages of it much easier. The other was with the engi ship, by the end I had three awesome drones that pretty much made it easy to win.

zion777
09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
I played nonstop for about 2-3 days during the Steam Summer Sale... I haven't touched it soon. I believe I made it to the last sector, but I was never very good.