PDA

View Full Version : You Are Not The Hero

Melcadrien
11-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Picture this: You are a hero in an RPG that just went inside an NPC's house and 'liberated' everything from it. Since most RPG's don't have any repercussions from robbing all these places it makes you feel like you are entitled to get everything from every place. Granted, some games tell you that what was taken was actually very important and you may end up feeling guilty from taking it.

In You Are Not The Hero, you are the NPC that had your place robbed by the heroes including a very important item of yours. And now you are on a quest to get it back except you are derailed into doing other tasks that involve ringing a bell with a shovel, talking to a grave, and ghost busting with a lantern.

When I saw the video for this I was convinced it would be a great game. I still am and believe this game will be great. The game is also not fully linear since you can take quests, take part-time jobs, or ignore it all. From what I see what you do affects what happens in the future.

You can check out the kickstarter, with the demo, here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/812 ... f=category (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/812850535/you-are-not-the-hero?ref=category)

Here's a video of me showing off the gameplay if you want to know a little more.
[ytube:2enaoije]l1jlSDmCTsY[/ytube:2enaoije]

GoldGameMaster
11-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I have to wonder why they even bothered releasing that demo. It hardly resembles anything promised and was just generally terrible. Seems like a good way to make people lose interest. They mention in the latest Kickstarter update that it was made when the vision for the project was different. They should have just waited until they had something better to show off.

Melcadrien
11-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Can you clarify why it was terrible?

GoldGameMaster
11-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Mostly because it fails as a demo. A demo should show me what to expect and make me want more. What I saw was the intro of what seemed like a generic RPG with constant, to the point of being detrimental to the game, fourth wall breaking. Like I said before, it resembles nothing that was promised. Aside from that, the experience of playing it was dull and I had no investment in the characters or happenings. Some time to experience Petula's home town before the heroes come in could have made it so much better just because I might have cared about what was going on. That investment might have made me more accepting of the uninteresting gameplay. As it stands, I just wasn't interested in anything the demo had to offer.

Melcadrien
11-04-2013, 05:37 PM
You only watched the intro and lost interest then? As for generic, how exactly is it generic?

This is also not the first time someone's vision for a game has changed when doing it on kickstarter, though. Consider Broken Age and the fact that it wasn't to be a fleshed out game when pitched.

pkGamerB
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at any gameplay footage yet, but I've been following the progress of this project on Kickstarter because I think it sounds like a pretty cool storyline premise. I'm interested to see how the final product turns out.