PDA

View Full Version : What is your GOTY?

DNAbro
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
It's that time of year again where we reflect on all the awesome games we have played this year. So TSG members, what was your personal game of the year?(as in released this year, not just that you first played it this year)

Mine has to be The Last of Us. The story was just so well done and gameplay mechanics were incredibly fun.

Runner ups include Bioshock Infinite and Super Mario 3D World.

Amaterasu
12-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, since I didn't exactly play too many games released in 2013 (if it was games that I played in 2013, regardless of release date, I totally know what mine would be), I'm not sure, really. Default answer is Pokemon X/Y, but there are a few other good 2013 releases I played (and a few others that I still need to).

Futondean
12-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I feel like Fire Emblem: Awakening was my GOTY since I did not have any expectations and it just blew me away with how fun and deep it was. Close follow ups are The Last of US and Tales of Xillia.

Apple314
12-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm going to say Pokemon X/Y, although I think my personal bias against the series has something to do with that!

Shiron
12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Hmm, I dunno... Let me think back on what I even played this year...

Pokemon X
Ace Attorney 5
Lego City: Undercover
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fire Emblem: Awakening
New Super Luigi U
Rayman Legends
Wind Waker HD
I think that's it, aside from some eShop stuff like Steamworld Dig and Attack of the Friday Monsters.

Oh god, I don't know what I would pick... I sunk so many hours into both Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem in the earlier part of the year. But thinking about it, I think I actually have to go with Lego City. I had a lot of fun just exploring the city, and messing around and finding what I could find. I really enjoyed the humor too. Plus, dat final bit of the last level~ :D Of course, the game's simple and it did have terrible loading times, but I really had a blast with it all the same, so I suppose I'd have to go with that.

Although, I'm hoping to get 3D World for Christmas, so who knows where that will rank if I get it. But for now, yeah, I think I'd say Lego City, though it's really close between it, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem.

GrimsChild
12-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Under Night In Birth by virtue of being so friggin FUN to play regardless of how unbalanced it is.

Also those huge Gundam pods I went to when I was in Japan. Those ruled.

philip0544
12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
dont make me choose!

cHicKeLoR
12-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I have not played alot of new games this year. The two that stand out the most are ALBW and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Stanley Parable seems to be awesome... but I have only played the demo so far.

I would choose ALBW. That might just be my choice, because I have played it more recently. Whatever, ALBW it is :).

caramelslice
12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
I feel like Fire Emblem: Awakening was my GOTY since I did not have any expectations and it just blew me away with how fun and deep it was.
I feel the same. But I've got a three-way tie between Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Last of Us, and Dragon's Crown.

Trust, Me I Got This
12-17-2013, 07:19 PM
If you've played The Last of Us and don't think it's Game of the Year, I just don't know what to think. That game is amazing in every single way.

MalkanorBek
12-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I want to say Tales oF Xillia, but being released in Japan a Few years ago... yeah.

My personal one is either Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D World, or A Link Between Worlds. All Nintendo, I know, but other than that now other games really wowed me. I didn't play many nonNintendo games this year either.

Amaterasu
12-17-2013, 10:42 PM
I want to say Tales oF Xillia, but being released in Japan a Few years ago... yeah.

I'm not sure if I get why the Japanese release date matters... As long as it was released in America in 2013, then that's all that really matters, I would think.

Although... was FE:A released in Japan in 2013? I want to say it wasn't. If so, perhaps I'm just missing something in my tired state.

Hartross
12-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Pokemon XY just realised my original game listed was from 2012 :fail:

lionheart91
12-18-2013, 01:18 AM
For me it's a tie between The Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

Futondean
12-18-2013, 12:24 PM
I feel like Fire Emblem: Awakening was my GOTY since I did not have any expectations and it just blew me away with how fun and deep it was.
I feel the same. But I've got a three-way tie between Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Last of Us, and Dragon's Crown.

I still need to pick up Dragon's Crown but Super Mario 3D World has to come first.

the1stpkmnfan
12-18-2013, 04:08 PM
#5 - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fairly enjoyed it, from what I played so far. It's very different to the first game, but the puzzles can be fun and get you thinking.

#4 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The game felt much more relaxing, and it had a lot of flexibility in the controls (most of the time). They really ironed out many bugs and things from the old version that always bugged me. The look of it is nice, and I'm glad the Triforce quest was altered. Swift Sailin is epic. Just wish we had gotten something else added to the game, too. Like another dungeon, but that would change the story completely.

#3 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Inevitability a fun and entertaining game. So much re-play ability, lots to do and collect every day. I just got back into this thanks to a certain LPer. This game also makes collecting a whole lot easier, and more fun and rewarding. There's a couple things I wish they had changed, but it's overall a worth wild edition to Animal Crossing.

#1 - Pokemon X & Pokemon Y
The big boy I was waiting for all year. A whole new look to Pokemon, and it's in 3D! No doubt this was going to be my pick for the year. The game play, the music and selection are all phenomenal. Not my most favorite story line, but it isn't too bad either. Pokemon-Amie, Super Training and the PSS are all fantastic features, too.

#1 - Super Mario 3D World
Immensly fun, and a lot of experience can be gained from this with others. It's built for fun, and the entertainment would never stop. This is pure gold. The levels look good, and the multiplayer gives it that nice kick.

I would add A Link Between Worlds but I haven't played it yet.

zion777
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
My game of the year is Last of Us. In fact it is likely my game of the generation. I have never felt so invested in the characters of a game before.
Some other contenders from this year aka Honorable mentions are as follows
Ni No Kuni
Fire Emblem Awakening
Pokemon X and Y
GTA V
Rouge Legacy
Killzone Mercenary
Super Mario 3D world

Muzy72
12-18-2013, 07:00 PM
1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Tearaway
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

All released on the same day lol

WolfAmadeus
12-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Here's my list of the best games of the year.
Best console game: Super Mario 3D World
Best handheld game: Animal Crossing New Leaf
Best downloadable game: Ducktales Remastered
Best overall game of year: Pokémon X and Y

2fast4you
12-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Game of the Year is definitely The Last of Us. Other games just don't compare to the story of a game like the last of us. GTA V may be good, but it isn't any "The Last of Us".

Chompjil
12-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Link between worlds
Close seconds are Mario 3d World and BioShock Inf.
Third is Fire Emblem Awakening

Amaterasu
12-27-2013, 01:38 PM
If I may, I'm changing my GotY to Mario 3D World. I'm glad that game was as good as everyone said it was. Now, if only Nintendo would release more Mario games as good as that one, and not as quickly...

Shiron
12-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Yeah, now that I've played 3D World, I think I'll do the same.

diddyknux
12-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I haven't played a lot of new games this year, so I'm saying Saints Row 4. Not just because it may be the only new game I played this year, but I honestly think its a darn good game. Not GOTY, but for me it is. I supposed I did also play Grand Theft Auto V, but I'd honestly say I like Saints Row 4 a little bit more.

Masamune
01-02-2014, 04:54 AM
shadow of the colossus

[spoiler:1sblmd10]i didn't play any games released last year lol[/spoiler:1sblmd10]

Heufneutje
01-03-2014, 06:38 AM
A Link Between Worlds, hands down.