PDA

View Full Version : If you had to play the same 3 games forever...

pkGamerB
12-26-2013, 05:03 PM
...what would you choose?

This was a random idea for discussion I had one day, because for me, the three games I'd choose aren't necessarily my three favorites and I thought that was interesting. Hypothetically, let's say all games ever made would be destroyed, no new ones would be made, and you have a chance to save any three. What games would you keep, and why? Here are mine:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Even though it's my second favorite game, I'm pretty certain this is the game I've played through and spent the most time on, even if I only count the past three years (Earthbound is my favorite as more of a lifetime achievement award at this point, since I rarely play it anymore). I love the gameplay, and attempting to finish the game faster than the previous time never gets old to me. I've lost track of how many times I've played it, but it's gotta be in the 50+ range by now.

2. Pokemon: The main reason I love Pokemon games is because of the myriad combinations of party members and moves you can come up with. Even though I don't have any Pokemon games in my personal top ten, I've found that I almost always have a playthrough of one of the games going. Bonus points for its competitive metagame, even though I don't play anymore. As of right now, I'll say HeartGold is the one I'd keep, but that could very well change by the time I finish X, and Black 2's a decent choice as well.

3. The Binding of Isaac (with Wrath of the Lamb DLC): Another game that I've never considered in my top ten, but have spent hours on to complete. Although it's a short game, the fact that everything is randomly generated each time you play keeps things from getting stale, and it's pretty difficult at times. It took me nearly 140 hours to 100% this game, I loved every minute of it, and I would do it again.

Honorable mention to Super Smash Bros. Melee, but only if I have someone decent to play against, and NBA 2K13, for its "My Career" mode, which features an RPG-esque player creation and "level" building mechanic. Also Super Metroid, for similar reasons to LttP.

icarusfalls
12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and A Link Between worlds. The souls games because of their deep and fulfilling mechanics that allow you to constantly improve, and Link Between Worlds because I think it is an excellent game to speed run and that always adds replayability to a game!

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Amaterasu
12-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F

Definitely my first pick. I doubt I'll ever get tired of playing this game, as even though I've beaten all of the songs on the hardest difficulty (I still need to get the platinum, though), I still come back to this game and play it once in a while. I'm looking forward to the Vita version getting localized next year, and playing through this game for a third time. :p

Pokemon X/Y (if I must choose one version, X)

Probably my favorite entry into the series (possibly B2/W2, I'm not sure), and what is probably my favorite series of all time, of course it's something I'd want to keep! The Pokemon games are ones where I can easily sink in 200+ hours (at least on the newer ones), through going for Pokedex completion, post game battling facilities, and now, IV breeding. I'm very glad that IV breeding is actually possible to do now. :p And as pk mentioned, the number of different Pokemon that you can use, and thus, the number of different teams you can have, is kinda nice replay value.

Mario 64

While Mario 3D World just might become my favorite 3D Mario platformer (truthfully, I'm not sure what my favorite one is. Definitely not Galaxy 2, though), Mario 64 will always be my favorite with how things are done. What I mean by that is, going into a level, and being able to go after pretty much any star in a wide open area. The low-ish requirements for opening new levels is also nice, even if I try to grab every star in a level that I possibly can, and tend to play the levels in order, but if I just feel like starting a new file, and fart around, not care about which stars I get, and which levels I play, then it's nice.

Honorable mentions are Super Smash Bros. Brawl, since that game is fun to play with friends, Pikmin 2, as it's my favorite Pikmin game, and I'd like to fart around in my completed file one of these days, and PMD: Explorers of the Sky, as it's special to me, and there's lots of postgame dungeons to go through that are kinda challenging. I should get back to that game and try to beat them.

Apple314
12-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Pokemon X: There is so much to do in any Pokemon game, that one could just about last me forever! Pokemon X, with the much better online, and easier ways to breed IV's/EV train, would be the one I'd keep. Even when you've finished the game, you can spend a lifetime training and battling!

Mass Effect: Can I just say the trilogy or do I have to pick one? With all the different paths to try, you could replay this game several times, trying different options each time! For the one to keep, I'd probably have to go with Mass Effect (the first one) - although ME3 has multiplayer, it has that atrocious ending, and I like ME's story slightly more then ME2's.

The Sims 2: I'll admit it, I used to sink days into this one! I kind of stopped playing it so much, as time got on and a game where hours could slip by without me noticing became scary, as I didn't have the time for days to go by like that! If it was one of only three games left in the world I'm sure I'd manage to play it responsibly... sort of. I haven't played it in years, because I'm worried about how much time I'd lose if I got addicted to it again!

knarfelyk
12-26-2013, 06:35 PM
This is so hard to answer. I think what it comes down to for me is games that could be played over and over again without feeling like you're playing the same game over and over again.

1. The binding of Isaac - I've easily put in over 200 hours to this game, and its still fun for me. I love the fact that the mix of items that you can find over different runs can make for different strategies. I've also gone through and gotten all of the achievements, so there were additional challenges trying to do things like taking no damage for specific levels or doing the challenges, so there are lots of challenges that could be added (or self imposed) to add even more replayability. And finally, the challenges that start you with a specific set of items add even more. And the last thing that I've thought of that adds even more is that its a short enough game that a group of friends can all play at the same time and race to see who wins (if you read this Chase, you should start streaming like that again!).

2. Minecraft (w/ mods) - Again, a game that you can have pretty much a different experience everytime you play depending on the type of world you get and the resources you find. Also, since there are a huge number of mods, and if they can keep getting updated, then there's always new things to try to do. And finally, its a game which can be played solo or w/ friends.

3. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - This was my favorite game growing up, I play it again every few years, so I just couldn't stand to see it be gone forever. It also has a sort of mini-game dungeon thing that is procedurally generated that I could totally play through over and over again.

Some honorable mentions
- Skyrim - it's such a big game that can be played in multiple different ways, and there are quite a few different mods that add content as well.
- Civilization V - a nice single/multiplayer game that takes up a fair amount of time.
- Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Earthbound/Breath of Fire 2/Mario Bros. 3 - all games I've loved growing up that I've played multiple times that could have taken that third game slot.
- Solitaire - So we could get more Rob solitaire streams!

Chompjil
12-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Pokemon BW2
Basically what everyone else listen for Pokemon, however XY's post game is fairly lackluster, so until Z or whatever comes out BW2 it'll stay
TF2
I already have 500+ hours spent on it, why not have it for the rest of forever (and I have a ton of hats ;D )
Super Metriod
So much exportability, and there's tons of paths to take too

MalkanorBek
12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
This is pretty much my top 3 list of games:

Super Mario 64: Love the game, played it nonstop. Heck for two years it was one of my few games so I was forced to play it nonstop. I didn't care, my love for that game will never dwindle. Plus it would be nice to glitch it out and see what kind of wonky situations I could get in.

Grandia: My all time favorite game/RPG. It's the first RPG I really ever played. It's a tad linear and after going to a new place it's very likely that you can't go back. But I am in love with that music. I would play that on my iPod 24/7 if I could. Also it takes so much time and effort to max out everything on your character (all their different magics, weapons, plus their overall level). I could see myself playing it over 300 hours without getting close to maxing it out.

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete: It was either this or the first Lunar game. Even though the 1st one is closer to my heart, Lunar 2 is an all around better game. I grew up watching my brother play this game over and over, and never played it myself until maybe 5 years ago. Great music, great voice acting (which was unheard of when it came out), great gameplay, phenomenal story, all around one of the best things I can think of.

Honorable Mentions would be Tales of the Abyss and Final Fantasy IX. I didn't chose any of those long games or "infinite" games because even when playing those, I get one of the five games mentioned stuck in my brain and I feel the need to play them. I'd be miserable playing anything but these games for the rest of my life.

Melcadrien
12-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Here's my Top 3 for now.

1: Our Darker Purpose: This game is much like Binding of Isaac where you can repeat the game over and over and over again and nothing will ever be the same. The fact that the game has some deep story and some tough battles does not make this a walk in the park unless you have the right equipment for the job. I've only managed to complete the second chapter and I have no idea what the next floors will entail until I beat 8 floors full of enemies and bosses (2 of them really tough).

2: Minecraft: Minecraft is the only game where you can play the game for days on end and being able to play with friends on it adds to the fun.

3: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable: I can't read Japanese. However, I still like the anime and I really like the look of the game, even if I can't really read the story or the actions.

I really do like a lot of games and narrowing down the 3rd one wasn't easy.

Shiron
12-27-2013, 02:20 AM
Super Mario 3D World:
Not done with it quite yet, but when all's said and done, I think this will end up quite possibly being my favorite Mario game, and even if it doesn't, I think it will nonetheless be the one I'll end up enjoying actually replaying the most. Just so many wonderful ideas in this game, and I'm loving the way the Green Stars and Stamps are hidden and despite the game not having Stereoscopic 3D, some of these things being hidden in a way that takes advantage of the fact that the game is still 3D more than 3D Land did. The Mystery Houses and Captain Toad levels give a break from the norm and it has local co-op for scratching that itch.

Of course, if you had asked me this last year, I'd probably have said 64 here, but I think I'm finally 64'd out. Plus, being stuck playing this would give me the time to actually beat all the levels with every character and whatever, which I'l probably never do otherwise, so yeah, I think I'd go with this.

The World Ends With You:
A great RPG with a fantastic combat system with a great amount of flexibility and absolutely wonderful music and a bunch of post-game stuff to do, which I've never actually gotten around to doing myself and this would give me the excuse to actually do.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Fantastic, action-packed game with wonderful story and characters, plenty of flexibility in how you approach the levels (both in terms of your equipped weapons and powers and also the difficulty), tons of achievements and stuff to unlock and online multiplayer to boot on top of it all to satisfy that itch as well. A very well-rounded package.

Honorable Mentions:
Pokemon X:
True, the post-game is sadly lacking for this game and I wish that wasn't the case and stuff like Pokestar Studios returned, which was awesome. However, despite that, I think these are nonetheless my favorite games so far, if only due to the sheer number of awesome choices for your team it offers for the game and while the story was meh, I really enjoyed exploring the Kalos region. Plus, while it doesn't have much of a postgame, I think just being able to mess around with the Battle Mansion would really be enough for me combined with earning medals on the Global Link. It's also kinda addicting for me to just catch some random thing, do a Wonder trade and then see what I get and also think about if I made some kid's day who's just starting out by sending them a Growlithe or something. The ease of doing that is really just awesome. So despite the postgame being kinda lacking compared to other Pokemon games, I think I'd nonetheless go with X here.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Was tempted to go with this game at first as one of the main choices, since it is a great game and is something that I easily could play everyday (and that's exactly what I did over the summer), but the problem is that it's really an hour-or-two-a-day at most type game, once you've gotten your town going. It's definitely a great game to just kick back and relax to for that hour or two, though (while also having stuff like the island games available for a bit more excitement/something more action-y).

GoldGameMaster
12-27-2013, 02:34 AM
Team Fortress 2:
I don't think I'll ever tire of rocket jumping. Even if I did, I'd still have a ton of other ways to play.

Paper Mario/PMTTYD:
I've never bothered to explore even a tiny fraction of the possibilities the badge system provides. If I had to play with either one forever, I might as well.

Pokeyman:
Got room for one more on the bandwagon? I couldn't think of a more unique third, so I'll just join you guys.

Honorable Mention: Pikmin:
An amazing and replayable series, but not to the degree where I'd want to put in in my top three.

jdtwins2009
12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm having a difficult time deciding what 3 games I would want to choose...

1) Golden Sun (if it has to be just one from a series it would be Golden Sun: The Lost Age): one of my first games that I fell in love with, and still to this day love and will say is one of my all time favorites. While it would end up being the same story over and over; the amount of side bosses, djinn customizations, weapon/armor options, I would have a good amount of playtime logged with that. On one file for Golden Sun I had over 300 hours logged on it.

2) Dota 2/Pokémon: There's two here since I'm not sure if there would be anyone to play Dota 2 against. I've spent hundreds of hours (thousands for Pokémon, and almost a thousand for Dota2) playing these games and I have still have fun. If I had to choose a version of Pokémon I would have to go with X/Y since it's the most updated mechanic wise!

3) Spelunky: I had heard a lot of love for this game back before it was on Steam/Vita/PS3, and when it finally came out on those other platforms I got it on all of them because of how fun it is.

rudy06
12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Since I saw this topic I've been trying to figure out what games I'd choose...and I still am not sure...so this may be edited. XD

1. Dungeon Defenders - This game is so much fun to play both alone and with friends. The only bad side is survival mode, but if it is one of the only games left in the world, devoting 3 hours to a survival map is no big deal. Tower defense with Action RPG elements?! Heck yeah! Maybe I can finally get a full set of Ult++ armor. XD

2. Age of Empires 2 - I was just gifted the HD version on steam and this gives me a whole new reason to play through it all again! I played this a ton in high school for single player and a ton in college for multiplayer. With the HD edition...I think I'll be playing a whole lot more!

3. Arkham Asylum - This game is probably the only game I have played through more times than I can count. Just running around and beating people up as Batman is fun, but the stealth areas really make the game special!

zion777
12-28-2013, 07:23 AM
I had to think what games have I played the most without growing tired of them and what has the most content. So here is my list:

1) Chrono Trigger: Been playing it since I was a kid, and after beating it 10+ times still love it each and every time. So would have to have it.
2)World of Warcraft: Been playing for years and there is still tons of things to discover and do in it.
3) Legend of Zelda.... Not sure which one but likely Ocarina of Time: Got to have Zelda that is my only reasoning.

If I could not have World of Warcraft due to no servers or something I would go with Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver.

untuxable
12-30-2013, 10:01 PM
1. SSX 3
To be honest, I'm not really sure why, but I played this game to DEATH when I was a kid. I could go through the entire game with a character in a morning, and no matter how many times I did it, it was still fun. I actually counted up how many times I'd beaten the game all the way through, and it was easily over 150. So, for pure fun, this makes the list.

2. FTL
I picked up this game during the summer sale this year, and man was I surprised at how quickly I was drawn into it. This was my first Rogue-like title, and it's probably my favorite to date. Since every play through is unique, replay ability is extremely high, and I always have fun exploring my way though each run, even when I get my butt handed to me by the final boss.

3. Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Honestly, this would only be if I could still play locally with friends. Every week, a group of my friends and I get together at someone's house to play games and hangout for a few hours, and somehow, we always end up playing this. We've done it so much that we all actually bought the game (I already had it) just to practice at home so we could get the best of each other. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun playing a game with friends.

Honorable Mentions:
+Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Probably the strategy game I've put the most hours into. Lots of fun, lots of replay ability, great character theme music.
+Fire Emblem 7 - My favorite FE game that's just a sliver above Awakening. I think it's my favorite because there isn't an over world you can use to level up your team indefinitely. You get what you get, and there's no turning back. It makes the game more difficult, because you can really get RNG screwed on stats (I'm looking at you Eliwood), but that just makes it more fun for me since it forces me to pick another character that I might not normally used. Also, Hector.
+Crash Team Racing - Yet another game I couldn't stop playing as a kid. The only downside: lack of difficulty, at least during the normal story. Some of the challenges, like the time trials, can be crazy hard.
+Super Monkey Ball 2 - One of the few games I speed run, and I enjoy it immensely. Only fault: I've played it to death so much, I pretty much play it on automatic and don't have to think too much.

DrewStern
12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Minecraft and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask.

The first two were meant to satisfy for the long run and tHe last is too tough to pass up.

[ Post made via Android ]

cHicKeLoR
01-04-2014, 10:53 AM
If I have to exclude multiplayer games... my 3 games would ve

gta3
probably gothic 1 or 2.... I am not sure about that
Animal Crossing, for the same reason Drewstern put it down.

Homura
01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
1) Sonic Unleashed (PS3/360 Ver.): It's definitely my favorite Sonic game in the series, so far. The Day stages were probably the best Modern Sonic stages I've ever played, and the Night levels were really fun too in my honest opinion. The two clashing styles of gameplay mode really made it interesting to me, and I would say that SEGA pulled it off perfectly. Plus, it also has DLC for every world, consisting or new levels and basic Hard Modes of already existing levels, so there's pretty much more than enough things to do in it.

2) Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater: Because The Boss mode.

3) Devil May Cry 3: Because Dante Must Die mode :V (I played for an entire day once and only managed to pass Mission 1. The insane difficulty is perfect for the game, and just makes it so much more enjoyable, even if I end up taking a life time to beat it)

diddyknux
01-25-2014, 01:33 PM
1) Sonic Adventure 2. Favorite Sonic game, and there's tons to do, especially when you consider the Chao raising.

2) Metroid Prime. I've played this game a ton of times, but it still is a joy every time I do it again.

3) Either Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie. Some of my favorite platformers, with tons of enjoyable characters (and, uh... that not so enjoyable Canary Mary)