PDA

View Full Version : Bravely Default

DNAbro
01-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Anybody else super excited for this game? Started the demo that just came out and it's incredibly impressive. Just put down money on a pre-order as well.

Diana3
01-02-2014, 01:55 PM
DEMO YOU SAY? *stops working to play*

DNAbro
01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
DEMO YOU SAY? *stops working to play*

Yup. Demo is completely separate from the main game and some of the things you get can carry over to the main one. Amazingly the demo also has streetpass which i believe carries over to the main game as well. The battle system is such a joy to mess around with; something about having multiple classes to mess around with always makes me want to grind.

BroBuzz
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
The job system is confusing as all hell; the demo has been fun otherwise though.

Amaterasu
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
The job system is confusing as all hell; the demo has been fun otherwise though.

Huh, I personally don't really find it that confusing so far.

I'm really enjoying the demo so far. Totally gonna pick this up as close to launch as I can.

DNAbro
01-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Just finished the demo in around 7 hours. I also spent the time to level up all the classes fully so I could mess around with it for the final two bosses. Only thing I am missing is the little Streetpass town but I'm almost finished with it. I think it's the last thing I need to get everything that can transferred to the main game.

Boomcannon
01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Speaking of the game, which version did you get the regular or the special edition?
BTW, did anyone feel that at the start that the demo was hard, until you grind up the jobs?

Amaterasu
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
BTW, did anyone feel that at the start that the demo was hard, until you grind up the jobs?

Not really, if you use a Ninja and White Mage, since they're really good classes to start with.

...Although I did have to do a tiny bit of grinding before entering the cave.

icarusfalls
01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
While I am enjoying the art design and gameplay of Bravely Default, I do find the first few quests in town a bit "grindy". Collect 5 of this, then collect 7 of that, all involving running around the desert hoping you randomly encounter the enemy that drops what you need. It feels like WoW style questing, but instead of being able to attack exactly the type of enemy you want, it's random. Well, partially random, depending on day or night cycle. It's a fun game and don't get me wrong, I just hope these quest types aren't a focus of the actual game. To me, random battles are the least fun part of a JRPG. I'm sure the game opens up quickly, but those first two quests got me a bit nervous.

DNAbro
01-05-2014, 12:35 PM
While I am enjoying the art design and gameplay of Bravely Default, I do find the first few quests in town a bit "grindy". Collect 5 of this, then collect 7 of that, all involving running around the desert hoping you randomly encounter the enemy that drops what you need. It feels like WoW style questing, but instead of being able to attack exactly the type of enemy you want, it's random. Well, partially random, depending on day or night cycle. It's a fun game and don't get me wrong, I just hope these quest types aren't a focus of the actual game. To me, random battles are the least fun part of a JRPG. I'm sure the game opens up quickly, but those first two quests got me a bit nervous.

The quests are basically just in the demo. Main game is nothing like it. Plus if you don't like random battles you can turn down the encounter rate and just set it back up when you want to fight.

Amaterasu
01-05-2014, 02:14 PM
While I am enjoying the art design and gameplay of Bravely Default, I do find the first few quests in town a bit "grindy". Collect 5 of this, then collect 7 of that, all involving running around the desert hoping you randomly encounter the enemy that drops what you need.

To be fair, if you're anything like me, you'll absolutely need to grind early on. And the enemies that you need to beat have a somewhat high appearance rate, IIRC. And like DNAbro said, you can adjust the encounter rate to make it easier or harder to find random encounters. You can also speed up battles, if you wish (right on the d-pad).

I finished the demo last night, working towards getting 100% right now, and it was pretty good.

Boomcannon
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
You can beat the game without going through any random encounters at all. This is of course, on the easy difficulty.

Hartross
01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I've already finished the game, it's already released here. You guys are in for a treat

supersonicrulz101
01-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Now Bravely Default is one game I'm clearly pre-ordering at GameStop. I'm enjoying it so far though killing enemies was doom for me when I started the demo. Currently attempting a quest to hunt Imps for one villager request. Wish me luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ]

caramelslice
01-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Been waiting for this game for a while! I'm not so bent out of shape about the collector's edition we'll be getting here too xD I just have to get my 3DS back from my friend before it releases, so I haven't been able to try the demo yet.

zion777
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Forgot all about this demo/prologue. Will go get it right now haha

Kennyan
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
I tried the demo this weekend and really liked it.. So I went to the game store only to find out that they sold their last copy on friday.. And my goto online stores are sold out as well, and they aren't expecting any new copies until march.. Feels like FE: Awakening all over again..

Nightlingbolt
01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
I tried a little of the demo. Looks good, but I really have yet to utilize the Brave/Default system. I guess I should Default with my White Mage?

Amaterasu
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
I tried a little of the demo. Looks good, but I really have yet to utilize the Brave/Default system. I guess I should Default with my White Mage?

Building up BP with your White Mage is a good idea, I suppose, in case you need an emergency healing. And if you don't give it Black Magic, then it really can't attack.

There's actually a really broken combo in the demo, since pretty much every attack in the demo is physical.

[spoiler:poo9lqvd]To do it, you need the Turn Tables skill from the Red Mage, and then you use the Ninja class. Comeback Kid, Transcience, and Utsusemi (which are all skills/abilities in the Ninja class) are awesome. Utsusemi guarantees one dodge against physical attacks, Comeback Kid boosts your physical and magical attack when you dodge, Transcience is a counterattack when you dodge, and Turn Tables gives you 1 BP when you dodge an attack. And Ninjas can dual wield without any drawbacks, so equip them a couple of knives, and you're good to go. I had 3 characters with this setup. The fourth (Agnes) eventually became a Knight with White Magic, for healing.[/spoiler:poo9lqvd]

Hartross
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Having 2 ninja in your party is basically instawin if they're built right

Amaterasu
01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm hoping you get the Ninja class somewhat late into the game, and/or there are more magic users in the full game, since the demo is ridiculously easy with 3 Ninjas using the setup that I mentioned, and a healer.

Melcadrien
01-15-2014, 12:25 AM
I played the demo and my save file is ready for the main game. Completed everything possible on it and have my abili-link ready to be sent out.

KEM64
01-18-2014, 03:02 PM
I managed to finish the demo and I'm looking forward to getting the game on February 7th. The ending of the demo was really cheesy, though.

zion777
01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Yup after playing the demo, I now must get this game.

philip0544
01-22-2014, 12:52 PM
The demo was surprisngly long and well made for being... y'know, a demo. I'm actually seriously considering buying it now just because of the demo. I havent even finished the demo yet, i think i have 3/7 rewards unlocked for transferring to the main game. :)

DNAbro
02-08-2014, 01:56 PM
who else picked it up? I'm gonna need to find time to play but school has been taking over lately.

supersonicrulz101
02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
who else picked it up? I'm gonna need to find time to play but school has been taking over lately.

Dude, I pre-ordered my copy at GameStop last Wednesday! I love to get started with the full game, but I probably should finish the demo first.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Amaterasu
02-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I started the game last night on hard mode. All those demo bonuses were nice, even if they seemed kind of unnecessary.

Nightlingbolt
02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
So, is the demo like, a prologue to the actual game? In other words, am I missing anything major by not finishing the demo?

Amaterasu
02-08-2014, 07:12 PM
So, is the demo like, a prologue to the actual game? In other words, am I missing anything major by not finishing the demo?

No, you're not. The demo is totally separate from the main game. You do get some bonuses in the full game based on how much of the demo you complete, however.

ZebraGoomba
02-08-2014, 07:13 PM
I should be picking up my copy sometime later this week. Probably Thursday since I have no school Friday.

MSico
02-09-2014, 08:00 AM
If you didn't preorder it, I urge you to call stores before going out to buy it. We sold every copy we got on the first day; it was unprecedented. Not in years has Gamestop had so many preorders picked up on day one. Usually people forget, but Bravely Default was on people's radars more than anyone expected.

I'm telling you to call ahead because according to corporate emails, Square Enix underproduced copies, not expecting them to sell this fast either. My store not only is out of copies, but we aren't expecting to receive any more this week, simply because the stock is not there.

My theory is, since nearly nothing (Gran Turismo, Battle of Z, Tomb Raider: Again and Fable: Again) has come out since November, people are clamoring for anything new, so they're snapping this one up wherever it can be found. Of course, you can always download it from the eshop, but since most people seemed to flip their lids when that was the only way to play the new Phoenix Wright, that may not be a preferable option I guess.

FlibberMagee
02-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Whoa. I didn't even know this was a game until just now, but now I'm really interested. I'll have to see if I can pick this up sometime.

jdtwins2009
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Be advised if you do go to download it it's HUGE. 26k blocks, so like 2 1/2 gb?

localretard
02-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Be advised if you do go to download it it's HUGE. 26k blocks, so like 2 1/2 gb?
I had to delete Animal Crossing and Pokemon just to install this (no regrets)...and just barely at that. I need a bigger sd card.

TheSpeedGamers
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
A funny little story and my thoughts on the roughly 4 hours I've played so far.

I've had my eye on this game for awhile and I was really excited to pick the game up this weekend. For awhile I was planning on getting the collectors edition but stupid me did not pre order it. I knew it was going to be a hot seller (the collectors at least) but I was too lazy and never got my order in. This bummed me out when I saw that the Amazon prices were around the $100 mark so I was reserved to the fact that I would just download it from the e-shop. With all the hype on twitter and reactions from my friends though, I started itching to get a physical copy. I took to twitter and after some good points I made up my mind around 11pm that I would set out to find a copy. Wal-Mart was the only place open that I could think of that carried the game, so I went to their website to check their stock. All my local Wal Marts besides the one in Mansfield said they had the game. I drove about 6-8 minutes down the road to my closest Wal Mart and went to the electronics section. After about 10 minutes of looking at their shelves I could see that they didn't even have a spot yet for the game. I talked with one of the girls working their and got a pretty crappy response. She told me that they had the game but that the guy who was supposed to stock the games had been out sick and that he should be back tomorrow to shelve the new games. I asked her if she could go to the back and grab me a copy and she said the stock of games was locked..which I think is probably BS..but whatever. She then told me I could go to the Wal Mart off cooper st which was about 15 minutes away. This wasn't too big of a deal to me, I had nothing going on and I'd already checked online and it showed they were stocked with the game.

After arriving at the next Wal Mart I noticed the electronics section was packed and there was a pretty big line. I went off to where the games where shelved and saw that once again the game was not on the shelves. There was not even an empty rack for where the game should be but there was a giant sticker on display saying it would be available on Feb 7. I was pretty deflated but I decided to stand in line to see if the guy working would go to the back and grab me a copy. Having picked up new release games at wal mart before, I was used to this routine of having the game not shevled on time and having to badger them to go to the back of the store and grab the game. This seems to happen a lot with Nintendo games since they don't typically release their games on Tuesday like most other games do. After sitting in line for about 15 minutes I finally got to the guy checking out. I'm sure he was already pissed off because the registers at the front of the store were closed down, which forced people to go to electronics to check out. I asked " do ya'll have Bravely Defa..." he interrupted me, "no". I said, "could you check in the back for me because it says online its in stock here." He responded "what more can I tell you.. its not here." I said , " Yes, but I've been here many times and you guys don't shelve the games on time." He then started getting really pissed.. " Do you want me to make it appear out of thin air." I'm usually the most passive person. Even if a waiter gets my order wrong at a restaurant I wont send it back, but this guy was rubbing the wrong way so I had to push more. I responded, "No I want you to walk to the back and grab the game that I know is back there." He said it wasn't his job to shelve games and then I walked away.. That whole situation pissed me off but it made me not want to give up since I had already wasted an hour of my time looking for the game. I then called the one Wal mart that online said the game was out of stock and guess what... "Yes sir! We have several copies!". I quickly drove another 15 minutes to that Wal mart and snagged my copy. The guy checking out was pretty funny. He looked at the game and then asked if I watched Attack on Titan. He said he loved anime and was wondering if the game would have an anime type story, haha. We talked for a bit and It made my night a lot better but I'll probably avoid buying games at Wal mart at all costs now :p

I'll post my thoughts on the game in a few. *at work*

jdtwins2009
02-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I hate buying games from Walmart because of this reason.

Usually they don't do stock and the person working the electronics section is either off somewhere else or in a pissy mood.

So I opted to download and it literally took all night because halfway through my internet connection cut out and I woke up to it needing to finish downloading :fail:

localretard
02-09-2014, 11:22 PM

Usually they don't do stock and the person working the electronics section is either off somewhere else or in a * mood.

So I opted to download and it literally took all night because halfway through my internet connection cut out and I woke up to it needing to finish downloading :fail:
I also opted for the download. I started it and fell asleep watching something so I didn't plug it in. I woke up halfway through the night and panicked when saw the blinking red dying light. Luckily the download was finished.

So far I'm really enjoying everything: Music, story, art, most of the voice acting (that black mage fire guy voice is cringe worthy), combat system, it's all (mostly) top notch. The voice acting surprised me honestly. I had no clue it was mostly going to be voiced, which obviously allows me to be lazy. :) I haven't gotten to terribly far because I work weekends, but I have some downtime during the week I set aside for gaming.

Amaterasu
02-09-2014, 11:34 PM
I got it physically, myself (and at the first Walmart that I visited, too :p).

I like the fact that there's a Japanese voice track, in addition to English. I'm usually fine with dubs (and so far, I like just about everybody's voice), but I know there are people who hate dubs with a passion, so dual audio was a nice thing to include. Might switch to it later, just to try it out.

Nightlingbolt
02-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, that works out for me, since I need to save up a little money for it.

caramelslice
02-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Well I'm still bummed. I made sure to pre-order the game. When my game arrived last Friday, my excitement immediately died because my friend still hadn't returned my 3DS to me. On the flip side, I should finally be getting it back tomorrow.

Side note: Another friend had given me the tip to pre-order off Best Buy since that was actually the cheapest place according to him. And is Best Buy really going out of business this year?

KEM64
02-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Progress: Beat the first boss and got Ringabel in the party.

I've also been posting moments that I encounter in the game on Miiverse. 2 of the 3 posts I've made since starting the game were pointing out things in the game that you usually see in other JRPGs like the hero's hometown getting destroyed or the party encountering a character with amnesia.

MSico
02-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I like the fact that there's a Japanese voice track, in addition to English.

What seriously?! That's amazing, no wonder the game files are so huge!

2 of the 3 posts I've made since starting the game were pointing out things in the game that you usually see in other JRPGs like the hero's hometown getting destroyed or the party encountering a character with amnesia.

True but at least they're doing minor spins on it. A character has amnesia but he has a journal (a really weird journal that you can read), the hometown is destroyed but you actively get to rebuild it (with friends). The party dynamic is what I love and don't recall seeing much of in JRPGs. Every time it tells me Press Y For Party Chat I get excited because their conversations are snappy and fun, and don't betray the characters. It reminds me of when they'd start talking amongst themselves in Dragon Age.

I JUST got to Chapter One last night after playing for six hours. I'm very excited about this game, the job system is one of my favorites (hence my undying love for FF5).

Edit: Britt's Walmart tale of epic destiny made me cringe. In case anyone doesn't know, if you are in a Gamestop (or if it's not during busy times, if you call a Gamestop) and we don't have something in stock, ask us to check other stores, because we can do that and it takes about ten seconds. If you're there in front of us, you can also request we call a store that has it in stock to hold it for you if you're on the way to get it (this is important for new items as we need to ask if the copies they have in stock are also reserved). If they won't do it, buy the absolute cheapest thing in the store and give them a bad internet survey :twisted:

Sangome
02-14-2014, 02:19 AM

Usually they don't do stock and the person working the electronics section is either off somewhere else or in a * mood.

The same thing happened to me downloading it. I dozed off for like 15 minutes, and woke up to find the download suddenly halted. I'm not sure it was my internet though because nothing else was giving me problems [no one saw me log out/back in suddenly], so it may have been on Nintendo's end. I think this is their biggest download on the eShop [or is at least very high up there] and maybe it just timed out somehow. Fortunately it let me pick back up from where it stopped.

Anyway, this was a Valentine's Day present for me. I'm still downloading it right now, but I'm eager to get into it. I played the demo and thought it was alright, but the hype train surrounding this thing got me excited.

DNAbro
02-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm actually really happy to hear that it's sold out. These are the type of games I want from Square Enix so it's great that sales are past expectations.

MSico
02-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Ok, maybe I'm not paying attention or something, but nowhere I've looked has the answer written step-by-step. HOW do I send attacks to people? Every time I look at "friends" my own profile is still the dumb level 1 attack for 30 damage, when I want to send my unlocked special moves and such. It's not in the in-game help, it's not on GameFAQs, I'm at a loss.

ZebraGoomba
02-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Ok, maybe I'm not paying attention or something, but nowhere I've looked has the answer written step-by-step. HOW do I send attacks to people? Every time I look at "friends" my own profile is still the dumb level 1 attack for 30 damage, when I want to send my unlocked special moves and such. It's not in the in-game help, it's not on GameFAQs, I'm at a loss.

It's under the Summon Friend menu during battle. It's kind of stupid placement based on the title, but despite saying "Summon Friend," when you pick it, it will give you the option to Summon or Send. Pick "Send" and then just choose a command like you usually would. It has to get used in the battle though.

[ Post made via iPad ]

BM_Panda
02-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Shameless plug: Read my review. (http://www.criticalgamer.co.uk/2014/01/31/bravely-default-review/)
In summary: The second half ruins the entire game.

caramelslice
02-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Well I've yet to beat the game for myself, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Will leave this here...
http://25.media.tumblr.com/54be3ff9a954fe230ab2b81987838655/tumblr_n0z3221GCg1qgin1ro1_1280.png

MSico
02-17-2014, 10:29 PM
THAT'S NOT HOW YOU HOLD AN AXE

jdtwins2009
02-20-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm loving this game a LOT but one of the things I'm starting to not like is the limit on exploration until you finish a certain quest/storyline.
Apparently I'm in the start of the second chapter? Can't go anywhere besides where I'm supposed to without a "We have no reason to be here, we have no time to putz around"

Hartross
02-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Shameless plug: Read my review. (http://www.criticalgamer.co.uk/2014/01/31/bravely-default-review/)
It does get repetitive

caramelslice
02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean now. From a game design standpoint, I want to say it's a little lazy of them. But then again, there are games with repetitive gameplay that are still quite enjoyable, and I'm still enjoying this game.
[spoiler:50nf7tia]But I just need to re-awaken two more of the crystals and see what happens from there.[/spoiler:50nf7tia]

Boomcannon
02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Does anyone want to ablink with me? I'm currently grinding jobs and I have the "Big Pharma" Merchant level 11 skill.

My friend code is at the side

majorskillz
02-27-2014, 12:40 AM
i'm really liking this game i think i'm close to the end so i've maxed mostly everything but you can add me for the ablink if you want boomcannon

caramelslice
03-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Has anyone tried hitting max damage without using the monk's special? Almost everyone I've gotten sends from that's made it close to max were all monks.