PDA

View Full Version : Games You Need To Go Back To

Futondean
02-15-2014, 11:27 PM
I believe we all have started a game and liked it but, not finished it. For me it generally is RPG's but there are some other genres in the mix! So let me begin this!

Earthbound- The very little I played got me to love it for what I like to think is a unique rpg. As soon I can get myself a WiiU I will have to go back to this really interesting game.

Gravity Rush- Probably the most original game for the Vita. Honestly I really liked this game and played a lot of it until I got Persona 4 Golden........ XD

Star Ocean: Second Evolution- I honestly don't know why I keep putting off this game so much. The first one was pretty good to me and I have heard this is one so much better. Hopefully I will get back to in the near future.

Amaterasu
02-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Fatal Frame 2: It's definitely better than 1, but I just got distracted by other stuff, and never went back to it.

Earthbound: Not much to say here. I do like the game, but, once again, stuff (don't recall what, exactly) distracted me.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's all I can think of right now.

pkGamerB
02-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm pretty bad when it comes to starting games and not finishing them. The biggest one is probably Dragon Quest IV, which I've had for like five years and started three times, only to abandon it 15+ hours in each time. The last time I played, I made it all the way up to a fetch quest that I assume is just before the endgame. I guess that means I didn't like it very much.

I also got a good 2/3 of the way through both inFamous (recently enough that I can go and finish it without restarting, fortunately) and Secret of Mana and stopped, but that was only because I got sidetracked by other games. Then there are games like Skies of Arcadia, FFX, and Arc Rise Fantasia that I didn't play long enough to form a real opinion on before moving on to other things.

On an opposite note, a game I actually did go back to is Super Mario Sunshine. I rented it way back when it first came out but didn't get very far, bought it for myself a few years ago and only played it for about an hour, then finally played it all the way through last year and loved it almost as much as I do Super Mario 64.

Futondean
02-16-2014, 03:01 AM
I'm pretty bad when it comes to starting games and not finishing them. The biggest one is probably Dragon Quest IV, which I've had for like five years and started three times, only to abandon it 15+ hours in each time. The last time I played, I made it all the way up to a fetch quest that I assume is just before the endgame. I guess that means I didn't like it very much.

I also got a good 2/3 of the way through both inFamous (recently enough that I can go and finish it without restarting, fortunately) and Secret of Mana and stopped, but that was only because I got sidetracked by other games. Then there are games like Skies of Arcadia, FFX, and Arc Rise Fantasia that I didn't play long enough to form a real opinion on before moving on to other things.

On an opposite note, a game I actually did go back to is Super Mario Sunshine. I rented it way back when it first came out but didn't get very far, bought it for myself a few years ago and only played it for about an hour, then finally played it all the way through last year and loved it almost as much as I do Super Mario 64.

Oh I remember trying to play Arc Rise Fantasia! I wanted to like it but I never could. That voice acting >.>

Sangome
02-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Pretty much every game I have listed as an Unfinished game on my Backloggery (http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=SangomeDash&status=1), but to highlight just a few...

~ Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask: I love this series, but for some reason I just played it and then stopped. I should really, really get back to it soon since the "final" game comes out later this month, and from what I understand this game ends on a giant cliffhanger leading directly into Azran Legacy...

~ Fire Emblem 7/Blazing Sword: I, er, played this through less than legal means, because I had wound up enjoying the demo for Awakening and needed something to tide me over. Loved it, but just kinda stopped. I might wait and see if it turns up on the GBA Virtual Console now that they're finally doing something with that, just to support it legally. [Though I'm betting Sacred Stones will turn up first since it seems like they're dumping the previously Ambassador-exclusive games onto there first + Superstar Saga.]

~ Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga: Speaking of Superstar Saga, I have no idea why I've not finished it. It's a Mario RPG, I love Mario RPGs, and it's a beautiful game with a lot to do...I think I was close to the end or something and then just stopped. It happens a lot.

~ Golden Sun: Same excuse as the above.

~ Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: Ditto.

~ Skies of Arcadia: This game literally hates me. I've started it several times, only for something to go wrong each time, forcing me to restart. The first time I ever played it, it was a rental, and by the time I bought it again, it had been so long that I just decided to restart. Then I got to the ship fight with Belleza, only to find out that I was ill-stocked with healing items, so I got my face kicked in over and over and over. I would gladly go back to stock up...except if you try to leave the dungeon you're in, the cutscene where you fight her and that one monster automatically triggers, meaning there's absolutely no way out. So with there being nothing for me to do, I reset again...and then my Gamecube controller died. And then I just gave up and gave my Gamecube back to my friend. This game just does not want me to play it under any circumstances.

~ Twilight Princess: Another case of "got randomly bored one day and dropped it". I don't like it as much as the other 3D Zelda, but I really should just finish it one of these days...

If you can't tell, my trend here is "I played this and then stopped". Dunno if that wasn't obvious. :P

firion90
02-17-2014, 12:44 AM
~ Skies of Arcadia: This game literally hates me. I've started it several times, only for something to go wrong each time, forcing me to restart. The first time I ever played it, it was a rental, and by the time I bought it again, it had been so long that I just decided to restart. Then I got to the ship fight with Belleza, only to find out that I was ill-stocked with healing items, so I got my face kicked in over and over and over. I would gladly go back to stock up...except if you try to leave the dungeon you're in, the cutscene where you fight her and that one monster automatically triggers, meaning there's absolutely no way out. So with there being nothing for me to do, I reset again...and then my Gamecube controller died. And then I just gave up and gave my Gamecube back to my friend. This game just does not want me to play it under any circumstances.

This is quite possibly the worst situation that you could ever come up with one of the best videogames for the dreamcast and gamecube. I should probably revisit this game sometime in the near future. I personally enjoyed the storyline, the attention, and a few others. It's not overly hyped about because it does have good graphics, gameplay, and storyline.

I haven't finished super mario bros wii, pokemon white and black 1, and possibly a few others. Bot those are the main ones.

DwarfInASuit
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
- Persona 4: Golden
After watching some Let's Plays of Persona 4, I picked this game up for Christmas two years ago and decided to have my own playthrough. From what I could tell this game would 100% be right up my alley. It's a well-developed JRPG with fun mechanics, interesting characters, you know, Japanesey stuff. There's just one major problem. I started this game on the hardest difficulty i.e. when you choose that difficulty, the game literally asks you if you hate yourself. After grinding, completely disposing of any of the games social mechanics, and grinding some more, the boss of the first major dungeon one-shot me. Five times. I really want to go back to this game, but in order to turn down the difficulty, I need to slog through the first five or six hours of cutscenes in order to get back to where I am right now. I actually do hate myself for choosing the hardest difficulty starting out, so I have that going for me.

- Pokemon: Black 2
I've said before that Black & White 2 are not my favorite games in the Pokemon series. Well, half of that is because I didn't like the idea of the games and thought that it wasn't done that well. The other half is because I never beat the dang games. So maybe I'm missing something crucial to why people love these games so much. I'll probably blitz through them sometime this year, and maybe then I'll have some more respect for these titles.

- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
I'm kinda cheating here. Because I quit this game right before the last dungeon (I think). I thoroughly didn't enjoy Skyward Sword up until the point I dropped it. The dungeons were weak, the exploring was okay, the collection stuff and overworld was actually kinda cool, but I couldn't get past the puzzle-like gameplay, the monotonous objectives (Collect all of these musical notes, etc), and the lackluster dungeons. It doesn't help that I played Darksiders right before I played this game. I will probably hit this game up one more time to see what I'm missing, because I really do want to beat it. But at the same time, I might just watch the ending on Youtube. Need to go back to it. Don't want to go back to it.

- Every Final Fantasy Game
I just suck with RPG's. No matter how into them I get, I always find some way to get distracted and walk away. I've literally started playing every Final Fantasy RPG from 1 - 10 at least once, only to put it down and never beat it. Only exception was Final Fantasy 3, which I did manage to beat. The rest are all sitting somewhere. Maybe once I get through Bravely Default I'll have the energy to hit up these games again.

diddyknux
02-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Probably the worst example for me is Bayonetta. I only had like, 2 chapters left, but didn't finish it. And its not that I don't like the game, I do, I just kept getting distracted by other games. One of which is Borderlands 2... which I also haven't finished. That one's even worse, because there's two characters I definetly want to play through as, The Siren and the Mechromancer, and I'm also interested in the Assassin. There's also Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which I really should do before Ground Zeroes comes out. Also Scott Pilgrim vs The World, the game, and NiGHTS into Dreams... a lot actually..

Futondean
02-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Oh RPG's are so bad for this because you can love it but not finish by being distracted by another just to come back and restart since it has been a while since you've played it.

Amaterasu
02-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Oh, here's a game I just got reminded of. Metal Gear Solid. I'm up to the torture bit, and I can't clear it to save my life (and no, I don't have a turbo controller).

I think I saved before beating Sniper Wolf too(dunno if you can save after beating her, though; it's been a few months since I played), so I have to fight her each time I fail. I recall having trouble beating her, so yippee...

FlibberMagee
02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
There are probably a lot for me, but only a couple come to mind. One is Dragon Quest IX, I recognized that its a great game but it ends up being so time consuming and when I bought it, I soon realized time was something I had. So once things wind down and there's more down time and less new games I need to finish, I'll get back to it. Same sort of goes to Monster Hunter Tri/3 Ultimate, although I've been better with that recently. Part of that is probably how time consuming it is and how much of a learning curve there is to very thing, it feels like I need to have a day where I try and learn everything.

[ Post made via iPod ]

Futondean
02-19-2014, 03:10 AM
There are probably a lot for me, but only a couple come to mind. One is Dragon Quest IX, I recognized that its a great game but it ends up being so time consuming and when I bought it, I soon realized time was something I had. So once things wind down and there's more down time and less new games I need to finish, I'll get back to it. Same sort of goes to Monster Hunter Tri/3 Ultimate, although I've been better with that recently. Part of that is probably how time consuming it is and how much of a learning curve there is to very thing, it feels like I need to have a day where I try and learn everything.

[ Post made via iPod ]

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Probably one of my favorite games of all time. I have put in about 150 hours into which is probably the most I have ever put into a game.

Homura
02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I need to go back to BioShock 2 and Infinite. In regards to Infinite, I just need to go back so I can platinum it like I planned to. I need to ctually complete BioShock 2 though, being one of the few non-Nintendo games I haven't completed yet.

Oh, here's a game I just got reminded of. Metal Gear Solid. I'm up to the torture bit, and I can't clear it to save my life (and no, I don't have a turbo controller).

I think I saved before beating Sniper Wolf too(dunno if you can save after beating her, though; it's been a few months since I played), so I have to fight her each time I fail. I recall having trouble beating her, so yippee...

You can always give in at that area, but it may not be the best choice.
You can save at any time in the game too. I forget the events leading up to the torture scene, but I think you can definitely save before you get there.

Amaterasu
02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
You can always give in at that area, but it may not be the best choice.
You can save at any time in the game too. I forget the events leading up to the torture scene, but I think you can definitely save before you get there.

Yeah, I've learned about giving in since I made that post. I'm just going to do that next time I boot up MGS.

I think so too, the more I think about it. Not sure why I never saved, if that's correct. Maybe I just thought I could get past the torture that time... Dunno, it's been a few months since I've played.

WolfAmadeus
02-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles: I could never beat the first boss so I eventually gave up and haven't played it since.

Super Paper Mario: I got halfway through the game but then I got distracted by a marathon and never got back to it.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: I couldn't beat the fourth boss in the Ventus Story. After many attempts, I decided to give up.

diddyknux
02-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Oh, I forgot a major one. Tomb Raider: Underworld. That was one of my first PS3 games, and I remember really liking it, but somehow never finished it. Think I was about halfway through, though I'd probably restart if I played it again.

MattThePatrat
02-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games ever, so I should probably go back and finish Banjo-Tooie. Also Paper Mario. And Donkey Kong 64. I left a lot of games unfinished when I was younger.

untuxable
02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Metroid Prime: I'm not sure why, but I stopped right before the final boss. I still have that save file too, so I really should just go back and kick Ridley's face in. I think I dropped it because something else came along that I found more interesting.

Metroid Prime 2: Basically, same thing that happened with Prime 1, except it happened when I was about halfway through or so. Again, still have the save file.

Lost Odyssey: I REALLY like this game, but it was just SO DARN LONG. Same with Prime, I'm pretty sure I stopped at or near the end. I think I also got sidetracked with side quests, so that didn't help anything.

Pokemon Red: I have a legitimate reason for this one; my brother overrode my save file to play through the entire game in 4 days. And he says he doesn't like pokemon. Haven't had the motivation to start it again.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the only ones I can think of right now, Steam library not included.

torimori
04-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Really anything from Nintendo's "Golden Years" (SNES - GameCube era of console). Earthbound series is one I saw a couple times that really stuck true for me as well and also I'd really like to hook my N64 back up and run through some old classics there.

DavyBones24
05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
*Insert here more then half of my Wii library* mostly cause I'm too lazy to finish. As well as games I restarted but never finished like Paper Mario 2 and Pokemon y currently.

GrimsChild
05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Planescape:Torment
Morrowind
Deus Ex
Herzog Zwei
Drakengard 1 & 2
Twinkle Star Sprites (both of them)
Windjammers
A bunch of fighting games and shooters I need to learn how to emulate properly.
Star Control 2

caramelslice
05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Nocturne and Tactics Ogre. Was thinking about trying to recruit Deneb, but I think I should just beat one play through first.

cHicKeLoR
05-08-2014, 05:37 AM
Gothic 3 (always wanted to beat it with the community patch).
Whispered World (started it when I had no time.. never came back to it)

for the 3ds:
Shinobi / Project X Zone

diddyknux
05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Another one I realized, I need to go back to Metal Gear Rising Revengence. Not for the main game, but for the Jetstream Sam and Bladewolf DLCs.