PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials in Games - Yes or No?

Meta289
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Something that I've been wondering is people's stances on tutorials in games, specifically between two extremes:

A. "MEGA MAN! MEGA MAN!" The tutorials that pester you for every last thing in the entire game. Complete hand holding.

or

B. "Here's the game kthxbye" No tutorials whatsoever. Absolutely zero guidance on how to do anything in the game.

If there was a choice between these, which one would you go with? I'm curious.

Amaterasu
03-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Out of those two choices, my answer would probably be no tutorials.

pkGamerB
03-14-2014, 03:10 PM
If I'm going with an absolute yes or no answer, then no tutorials. Constant hand holding is one of my biggest complaints about a lot of modern games, especially when I'm not even given a chance to figure things out on my own. Otherwise, I prefer a middle ground of either optional tutorials or level design that organically teaches you how to play through trial and error. Many SNES era games, such as Super Metroid and A Link to the Past were good for the latter.

kmmgreen5
03-14-2014, 03:22 PM
tutorials just seem to slow down a game. just imagine a game like metroid where everytime you got an upgrade it stopped the game to explain it, it would grind it to a halt. tutorials are fine if it's something that's too complex to explain through normal gameplay. oh and when you use a tutorial it takes away some of the feeling the game is tryign to give you. like the feeling of isolation you get in metroid. if a little voice comes on and starts explaining a full indepth tactical guide on how to use a jump then it just throws all that atmosphere in the trash.

localretard
03-14-2014, 04:10 PM
I say no tutorials as well. Most of the time it's insulting, at least for me, that the dev thinks so little of my intelligence that they included a tutorial on like how to pick up an item.

gendarmeofficer
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I gotta disagree with tutorials as well. Especially when they're unskippable even in a New Game + mode. Seriously, if you're going to make such a mode, at least have it take into account the fact that the player knows how to play by that point and doesn't need to have their hand held.

thewowgamer
03-14-2014, 05:00 PM
i say learn by doing, no hand holding. kids these days and their hand holding tutorials.

Apple314
03-14-2014, 05:38 PM
The best tutorials are concise and optional. However, between two extremes, I'd have to go with no tutorials. You can figure most things out through randomly blundering around/the internet if it's particularly unintuitive.

untuxable
03-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Like everyone else, given a choice between those two, I'd go with no tutorials at all. Nothing breaks my concentration and the flow of a game like everything stopping for the game to tell you what to do.

Concerning tutorials:

Good
-optional. "Would you like to…", or a Metroid style encyclopedia where the info is presented if and only if the player wants or needs it. Anything that forces the player stop playing and do something else is bad, normal cutscenes included.
-quick/skippable. For example, a stationary word bubble that tells you what key to press when you walk by something, as opposed to a forced, slow-playing cutscene.
-Necessary. The only time where I feel a tutorial with a demonstration or a cutscene is acceptable is if something genuinely complex needs to be explained, like a unique battle/card system. If it's something that a gamer with any level of experience could figure out on their own, it shouldn't be explained in any detail.

nmufred
03-15-2014, 02:53 AM
For experienced gamers like us, no tutorials are preferred, but to that 6 year old or the old guy like me who hasn't played a GTA game (for example) before. If I don't know what I'm doing, I'm not gonna be playing it for very long. #DevilsAdvocate

cHicKeLoR
03-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Between the extremes I'd say no tutorials. I stopped somes games because the tutorial was so painful...

kmmgreen5
03-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Between the extremes I'd say no tutorials. I stopped somes games because the tutorial was so painful...

Oh this reminds me how they make some tutorials so long you actaully forget important stuff they told you about before. There was some space game ... ai wars i think where i gave up after i was only a fraction of the way into the tutorial.

A good tutorial is something like star craft where if its complex they teach you in missions until you grasp it all to continue. Not a vr training but an actual mission thats part of the game.

:va speakng tutorials i just thought of picking up the can in hl2 ....

Homura
03-22-2014, 12:35 PM
I guess it entirely depends on the game itself, and how the tutorial is done, in my opinion. If it's a sort of tutorial that isn't needed and just halts any progress, then I'd go ahead and say "no tutorials" would be better. But, if the game was, for example, Sonic Lost World, where all the game mechanics and controls are brand new, then a tutorial is completely needed (It took me a few sections before I got to completely understand everything in that game :S).

I don't mind (and even sometimes enjoy) tutorials that are set up the way they are in games like Jak & Daxter and Sonic Unleashed, because in those examples, the tutorial is set up just like a normal level would be, and it teaches you everything without being obnoxious or ruining the enjoyment of the game.

Hartross
03-23-2014, 06:00 AM
I am happy with tutorials as long as there's an option to skip them. For a lot of games a tutorial on the first play through is a ton of help. Perfect example of it is Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2. You start in a tutorial area and have the option to skip it at any time. Out of the two options here though I'd probably say no tuts