PDA

View Full Version : What games would you want to "re-experience" for the first time, given the chance?

pkGamerB
03-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Does anyone else find that for some games, the thrill of playing them for the first time just can't be matched in subsequent playthroughs? Maybe the story just doesn't have the same "magic," or solving the puzzles isn't a challenge anymore. Assuming you could erase any prior experiences you had with them, what games would you want to play for the first time again? Just to name a few of mine:

-Chrono Trigger: I've played this game dozens of times over the years, and it has held strong as one of my favorite RPGs. Still, I would love to re-create some of the feelings I had during various points throughout the game. Stuff like arriving in the future for the first time, the stretch of the game between restoring the Masamune and fighting Magus, getting mercilessly wiped out by Lavos because I took him on way too soon, and pretty much anything dealing with 12,000 B.C blew my mind way back when, and I'd love to get a fresh take on them now that I'm older.

-EarthBound: This is a game that's often praised for its charming and witty dialogue, and deservingly so. But after 15+ years and even more playthroughs, I kind of wore myself out on it. That is, until recently, when I played through it as if I had never touched the game before, talking to every NPC, doing everything, and taking in the full atmosphere of the game. I enjoyed it more than I had in several years, which is what lead me to make this thread. If just pretending that I had never played EB before made me enjoy it so much more, then actually experiencing it for the first time again would be even better.

-Portal 2: While I'm sure I'd still enjoy it if I played it a second time, a big part of my initial enjoyment was figuring out how to clear some of the tougher rooms and taking in the scenery of the abandoned Aperture Laboratories. Well, that and the funny dialogue, but most of that would still be funny whether I had heard it before or not. However, there are a few twists in the story that won't have quite the same impact if I know they're coming.

-Cave Story: I would mainly want to replay this game because of the utter shock I was in when I realized that the story was a lot darker than its lighthearted art style implies. Also, I think I enjoyed the game's normal ending more when I didn't know there was a way to save a certain character's life. That bittersweet feeling resonated stronger with me than the closure of the good ending did (that's not to say I didn't enjoy the good ending, though).

-Super Metroid/A Link to the Past: Both of these are games that I strictly speedrun at this point, so I know them inside and out. It would be pretty cool to play either game as a complete noob and actually have to explore and figure things out again.

AttentionDeficitGuy
03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
This is an excellent topic! Yeah, A Link to the Past and Portal 2 were both incredibly magical my first time too (A Link to the Past I actually 100% the first time through without a guide - the first game I've ever completed), and I would love the chance to play either one of them again for the first time. Some other ones for me specifically include:

-- Golden Sun - Mostly I would just like to start the whole series all over again, seeing as I played it out of order the first time :P I was looking for good GBA JRPGs, and when I thought I had found a copy of Golden Sun it was actually the second game, Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I played it anyway, and enjoyed myself greatly, but when I eventually played the first game it was a little disappointing already knowing the end of the story, as well as how easy it was (the difficulty curve for the second game basically picked up where the first left off).

-- Portal - Pretty much the same boat as the second game. I think I've replayed this game only once before, and it was nowhere near as wonderful as it was the first time around. The puzzles were a major part of it, certainly (although I did forget some of the later ones), but so was GLaDoS. It's just not the same when you're hearing her repeat herself for the upteenth time.

-- Persona 4 - It's just not the same at all, trying to play this game again. It has one of the most interesting stories, fun casts, and great battle systems of any turn-based RPG that I've ever played. But trying to replay it again... getting through the beginning of the game a second time, when you already know the story, just feels like a chore.

-- Ys: The Oath in Felghana - The game that introduced me to my favorite video game franchise of all time. "Magic" really is the right word for what playing this for the first time felt like. The characters, the music, the gameplay, the visual style - this had me hooked from beginning to end, and it was something beautiful. Playing other Ys games for the first time gives me something similar, but never quite as strong or "magical" as The Oath in Felghana did. I would adore a second chance to meet Adol and Elena and Dogi for the first time again, or to hear "The Boy's Got Wings" or "Valestein Castle" for the first time, or to face Galbalan for the the first time.

Amaterasu
03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, and Danganronpa. They're all games that are very story heavy, so being able to play through them again without any knowledge of the plot would be awesome.

caramelslice
03-25-2014, 10:24 PM
-- Ys: The Oath in Felghana - The game that introduced me to my favorite video game franchise of all time. "Magic" really is the right word for what playing this for the first time felt like. The characters, the music, the gameplay, the visual style - this had me hooked from beginning to end, and it was something beautiful. Playing other Ys games for the first time gives me something similar, but never quite as strong or "magical" as The Oath in Felghana did. I would adore a second chance to meet Adol and Elena and Dogi for the first time again, or to hear "The Boy's Got Wings" or "Valestein Castle" for the first time, or to face Galbalan for the the first time.
Ark of Napishtim for me. If there was a game I took with me a lot during sports trips in high school, it was Ark of Napishtim. Granted the load times were horrendous, but overall it was a fun experience. Listening to Quatera Woods gives me such good nostalgic feelings.

Chrono Cross - Something about the island setting that just really took me to a different place whenever I first played it in the fifth grade. The opening immediately got me hooked to the game. When it comes to favorite game of all time, I end up jumping between this and...

Xenogears. Although I suppose replaying it after so long would be fine because it dealt with some heavy subjects.

Suikoden V - Maybe because I was playing it when I first moved back to the US and I didn't really know anyone in my area. But it brought back the things you loved about the first two Suikoden games and more.

Shadow of the Colossus - the overall experience was fantastic.

Demon's Souls - I think with this, I wasn't really expecting much since what I had seen at a little booth Atlus had at a convention didn't look all too interesting. But wow, this game. It was challenging in the right ways. I still like it better than Dark Souls, but I hear good things about Dark Souls II.

Brineboy
03-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Almost any game with puzzles and many rpgs.

Golden Sun 1 and 2 definitely. I loved playing them for the first time. I remember getting stuck on the log moving puzzle in the first game for so long when I very first played it (I wasn't very good at puzzles back then). I loved finding all the djinn and moving through the world.

The Kingdom Hearts series to experience the whole to story again and how the worlds all sucked me in.

Bastion. I loved going through the game not knowing anything and how the story unfolded was beautiful.

I've probably got more than that but those are just of the top of my head.

diddyknux
03-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Basically, any game that was my introduction to a series I love. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Metroid Prime, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Metal Gear Solid 3. I might also say SSX (2012) and Saints Row 3, though not to the same extent as the latter list.

thewowgamer
03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
WoW is definitely one i want to play over again for the first time. The reason i've loved FF14 ARR so much is that "new game world smell" effect where you just exploring for the most part. Afterwards when you level an alt, you don't get that new game smell anymore because you know where to go and you're just focusing on getting the toon leveled up.

I'd love to re-experience any game i've ever played anytime in my life with a few exceptions. Those exceptions are games that sucked me in up front only to leave me with nothing but frustrations. (Starcraft, DotA, Diablo)

pkGamerB
03-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Shadow of the Colossus - the overall experience was fantastic.I forgot about Shadow of the Colossus, that's another good one. I've only played through it once, and I think the feeling of encountering each colossus for the first time and trying to figure out its weakness was a big part of what made me like the game so much.

Sonic62
03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I'd definitely like to temporarily re-experience games like Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Mario Bros 3, Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime for the first time. I say that because I can't help but feel like I'd miss knowing them inside and out. Interesting thing to think about for sure!

OmniSlacker
03-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Solitaire, fa sho

cHicKeLoR
03-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Gothic & Gothic 2 - still two of my fav. games. I finished them both a few times but I'd like to be able to play them blind again, so I'd be new again :)

SMW - first snes game I played. That gameplay and graphics ;)

Tetris or Pong - I cannot remember what my first game was... one of those two and I would like to play a videogame for the first time again.

Monkey Island - You know.... because it's monkey island :D

kooolbreez1
04-07-2014, 11:35 PM
LoZWW - First Zelda game I played and my favorite in the series

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Its Kingdom Hearts

Metroid Prime - First Metroid game that I beat. Im still saved right before the last boss :)

Trust, Me I Got This
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Definitely Batman Arkham Asylum. That game blew me away when I first played it. Actually, experiencing Arkham City for the first time again would be pretty sweet too.

Re-experiencing Pokemon Silver for the first time would be pretty amazing too, seeing as it was my very first Pokemon game.

nmufred
04-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Most definitely the original Legend of Zelda, the way I recently played Link Between Worlds, figuring out everything for myself and all the secrets that go with it.

Also, as PK mentioned, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, there's a magic that's been lost after playing it too many times and knowing everything about it.

An odd one is Harvest Moon 64, when I still had the attention span to devote all my focus on it and get lost in romanticizing a partner.

Also, any of the Mario titles, from Super Mario 64 and earlier, particularly 3, World and 64, there was a magic in all of them that is still fun today.

A good way to experience a game for the first time is to watch a friend play a game for the first time and give them moral support, but not many tips.

zion777
04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
I would love to re-experience Chrono Trigger. Its been such a great memory for so long that I would love to just have the fresh feeling again. Another game would have to be Dead Space, few games in recent history excited me so much as it.

Sangome
04-15-2014, 07:56 AM
~ Super Smash Bros Melee. I can't really place why, but starting up the Adventure Mode for the first time just felt so swooping and grand. The Christmas I got my Gamecube is probably my favorite Christmas ever, and I tend to weep whenever I boot up game and see my first achievement dated 12/25/01.

~ Pokemon Crystal, which was my first Pokemon game. As much as I liked HGSS, it wasn't quite the same.

~ Any of the first three Paper Mario games, but special mention has to go to Super. I never expected it to have the story it did, which was not only the best of the first three games, but probably one of the best stories Nintendo has ever done. It drew me in and made me very emotional at numerous points, especially towards the end, and experiencing that for the first time when I don't know what's coming would be neat to do again.

~ Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I put these together because I played them all within a short time of one another -- I was a latecomer to Zelda, with my first one being Wind Waker not long after it came out. The experience of playing these three great games one after another was amazing [though I wouldn't beat Majora's Mask until years later].

~ Megaman Legends, if only so that my first experience would be playing it straight from start to finish, rather than jumping around save files other people had on my rented copy. That said, this would be one I too would rather "temporarily" forget, since I know this game a little too well and would hate to lose that knowledge.

~ Every Ace Attorney game because Ace Attorney is awesome. Though to be more specific, I'd probably want to correct my bad tendency to accidentally spoil the big bad of each game well in advance. It doesn't take away my enjoyment of the games at all, but being able to correct that would be nice.

Trust, Me I Got This
04-15-2014, 04:02 PM
I'll also add that experiencing Journey for the first time again would be amazing. I have no interest in ever replaying Journey, but my first experience of it was just jaw-droppingly incredible.

NightSkyie
04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Pokemon Sapphire, because it was one of the first games I really spent time playing. It got me interested in gaming, specifically Nintendo games. Even though I've gone back and played it again many times, I can never replicate the same feeling of playing it for the first time.

Hartross
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Zelda Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Windwaker, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 64, Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64), Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Crystal and The Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind to now

Homura
04-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Just two, at the moment, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Pokemon FireRed. Metal Gear Solid 4 was an amazing game with a brilliant story, quite a bit better than Snake Eater. Pokemon FireRed was my first Pokemon game, and while it may not be my favorite, I'd love to just experience it for the first time again.

InuNaruPokeAlchemist
04-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Tales of Symphonia, that game changed my life as a kid. If I had the chance to re-experience it for the first time, I'd make sure I didn't spoil some of the major parts of the game before hand.

torimori
04-27-2014, 08:44 PM
I would have to say the entire Mass Effect trilogy for me, or possibly any game in the world of the Elder Scrolls. any sort of game that involves role playing is incredibly fun for me.

DarkSonic
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'm going to go with Super Smash Bros. Melee or inFamous 1.

Koji45
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hmmm there at at least a few.
I'd say the ones I'd want to the most though would have to be Mother 3 and Tales of the Abyss!

DavyBones24
05-05-2014, 06:42 AM
I'd say any of the Paper Mario games or Earthbound.

pkGamerB
05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
To steer this thread in a different direction, I'll ask the opposite now. Are there any games that you didn't care for the first time you played, but liked them more upon replaying them? Some of my big ones are:

Metroid Prime - The first Prime came out when I was around 12 years old, and having never really played FPSes at that point, it was really hard for me to get into, and it gave me mild motion sickness at times. I replayed it shortly before Prime 2 came out, and since I sort of knew what I was doing, it was a little more fun the second time. Once I learned about all of the sequence breaks and glitches a few years ago, it became one of my favorite Metroid games.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - This is another game that came out when I was a preteen, and at the time, I just didn't "get" it. The lack of distinct levels didn't make any sense to me after being used to all of the other Kirby games, and I'd get lost constantly, to the point where I gave up on it and didn't touch it for years. Cut to last year, when I had recently finished Super Star for the first time during a serious Kirby game binge, and I realized that Amazing Mirror was basically a fully fleshed out game using the Great Cave Offensive formula. That realization made me want to replay it and I appreciated it a lot more. Now Super Star and maybe Kirby 64 are the only Kirby games I like better.

Mega Man X - I always liked this game as a kid, but I was terrible at it, so I didn't play it very often. When I replayed it years later and got good at it, it became a game I almost never get tired of.

Super Mario Sunshine - Over about an 8 year span, I attempted to play through this game on two separate occasions, and failed to get more than about 10-15 shine sprites into it both times. Last year, I decided to give it one last shot, and something just clicked that time.

Majora's Mask - Not as extreme as the other examples since I loved it the first time I played it, but initially, I liked OoT better. As the years went on though, I found that I enjoyed replaying MM a lot more than I enjoy replaying OoT, so they switched places on my list of favorites.

Koji45
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Hmmm. Okay, sense now we're talking about what games we didn't care for the first time and liked more later!
I gotta say I've got three!

Tales of the Abyss: which is now like my favorite game in existence, but the first time I played it...I was bored, there was Way to much talking, Luke was annoying, it was confusing! Now, The beginning is still a little blah compared to the rest of it, it's not confusing anymore but really fun, and I Loved Luke so much even when he was a winy brat!

Tales of Symphoina: I liked it enough I guess the first time I played. It was good. Nothing I was really attached to, but it was good! Then I got an urge to try it again for some unknown reason, and i'm glad I did! It became one of my favorite games of all time and really got me started with the Tales series!

And Megaman Legends: When I first played this I was just a kid, and where it was cute, and kinda fun! I wasn't sure where I was going, and I couldn't beat a fairly early on boss, and it was frustrating and I just didn't like it enough to put in the effort.
Picked it up again years later and holy crap I got obsessed! I fell in love with the characters I think was a big part of it, but I really enjoyed the story much more this time around and once I beat it, I just started it right over again!

So yeah, those are my big 3 anyway! If I think of any more i'll add them later!

diddyknux
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Challenge accepted, pk.

Super Mario Sunshine: This game annoyed me so much the first time with the fludd-less missions, that it was kind of to the point where I didn't like it. But I eventually got older and stopped raging at games quite so much, so was able to push through and enjoy it.

Sonic 3D Blast: I hated this game the first few times I tried it. Because of the isometric viewpoint, the controls take a lot of work to get used to. For most people, it tends to turn them off this game forever. But if you get the hang of it, you find that the game actually can be decently fast paced, and there aren't that many places where the platforming is frustrating. And while I'm at it..

Sonic CD: Yeah, I know this one's kind of weird, but the first time I played Sonic CD I didn't really like it. And honestly, I don't know if I could place why. I guess I may not have enjoyed many of the levels that much the first time (Tidal Tempest, Wacky Workbench, Metallic Madness, and the Special Stages all kind of annoyed me), and the US soundtrack is one of the few soundtracks for a Sonic game that I really don't like. I'm not saying I don't like it as much as the Japanese soundtrack, because at the time I hadn't heard any of the Japanese soundtrack, I mean except for a couple songs here and there, I don't like the US soundtrack at all.

Metroid Prime 2: Wasn't a big fan of the this game at first. The game had a tendency for the difficulty to fluctuate a bit too much, there's a large amount of annoying enemies, including a couple of the most annoying bosses I've ever fought in a game, I found it was easier to get lost than in Metroid Prime, and this last one's a little unfair because its mainly a complaint comparing it to the first game but the soundtrack's not nearly as good. But I pushed through it, and on repeat playthroughs I enjoyed it a lot more, though still not as much as Prime 1.

Grand Theft Auto IV: I should quantify this by saying I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, but I enjoy this game a lot more now. The problem is the first couple parts of the city are so boring and the early characters are so boring... well, it makes the game boring. But once you gain access to the second main island (there's another, tinier one between the first and second) you're finally in a place that's not so bland, and meeting characters that aren't so bland. Game still has problems though, so it's lower down then the other GTAs I've played.

Zelda: Majora's Mask: Not because of the time limit, but because this was the first Zelda game I owned (not played, we rented Ocarina of Time a few times) and its not exactly the easiest one to play through the first time.

Zelda: The Wind Waker: As you can guess, this was mostly because of the sailing. But on repeat play throughs, it really doesn't annoy me anymore. Not even the Triforce collection. Now my only problem with the game is that there's not that much content. Few dungeons and few sidequests, especially coming off Majora's Mask which I realize has few dungeons as well, but it does have a lot of sidequests, and somehow makes you care more about finishing them.