PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. Thread (+Netplay)

zach2m1
04-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Hey everyone! So with my time other than being swamped with school work, lately more and more I have been finding myself either training, to become or watch competitive Super Smash Bros matches ranging from the original on the Nintendo 64, to Project M, (not so much Brawl for me), and of course Melee. Anyways for those who don't know in the last couple of months the Smash Scene has greatly increased with the number of spectators and new/old Smashers picking up the game once again. HOWEVER, I will stop babbling and get straight to the point. The past couple of months I have been wanting to go to tournaments or at least get into the scene in some way shape or form. I have (I totally regret not finding this before) but it seems there are people who figured out how to play Smash Bros on your computer with people around the world! I think that's pretty sweet so I wanted to share with the community these two links:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1t4iab/project_m_30_netplay_guide/

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/ifzgv/ysk_how_to_play_super_smash_bros_and_other_n64/

Pretty much both of these guides tell you how to set up netplay for Super Smash 64, Melee, Brawl AND Project M. So if you get these things working let me know and I'd love to play some 1v1s with anyone! :) Its pretty simple to set up and I didn't find the interface that confusing. However if you have a question ask me it here or via private message and I'd be happy to help! We can use the TSG.tv chat to talk to each other while we play.

One last discussion point: I would like to hear your stance on Smash Bros. as a legitimate competitive fighting game. Yes? or No?

pkGamerB
04-23-2014, 01:32 PM
I haven't tried using Netplay before, but if my internet can handle it, I'd be down for some Melee sometime. I've been trying to get into competitive Smash as well over the past few months since I saw the documentary.

I don't have a ton of experience with other fighting games, but from what I've seen, Smash Bros. (Melee, at least) seems more "open" than other fighters, in a sense that there are no set combos, and what you're able to do is directly linked to the level of skill you have. And I know that's true to other fighting games as well, but Smash in particular is one that you're generally not going to win or pull off fancy combos by button mashing.

zach2m1
05-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I just feel that its a different type of game knowledge you know? I compare Melee especially to freestyle comboing. Not everything is set in tone and its not guaranteed that the same set of inputs you put in will give you the same result of percentage or a kill for that matter! That's just one of the many reasons I love smash bros. Like you pointed out pkgamer, I found that smash felt like a fighting game that I could potentially be good at! I also felt that smash or had a not as steep learning curve. That's not to say that things like wavedashing, l-cancelling and shorthop-fastfalling isn't easy to learn, but I just feel that its a more gradual learning curve rather than memorizing buttons sequences, and a whole bunch of fancy things in the "traditional" fighting game sense.

And pk, if you ever get netplay set up I will gladly play some friendlies :D