PDA

View Full Version : Aspects of Videogames That Annoy You?

OmniSlacker
05-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Very simple. What aspects of videogames deter or annoy you? For me, I tend to deviate from games with a heavy focus on large male characters. In other words, if it looks like the characters would violate a wellness policy, I probably wouldn’t touch it. You may be asking why, and the answer is simple, I like relating to the characters I portray. I’m not asking that every developer scale their characters down, but I appreciate the options with people such as myself being taken into consideration.

TL : DR – I don’t like big muscley dudebro power fantasies. I’m 5’11 and weigh 140, I’m a skinny dude.

But what about you? What aspects of games really annoy you?

ZebraGoomba
05-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Forced tutorials. It's even worse when they're painfully slow. Oh, and if they have to explain even the simplest things, like telling you how to walk. I cna forgive it once I finally get into the game of course, but I'm always in a bad mood during them.

OmniSlacker
05-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Forced tutorials. It's even worse when they're painfully slow. Oh, and if they have to explain even the simplest things, like telling you how to walk. I cna forgive it once I finally get into the game of course, but I'm always in a bad mood during them.

I can relate to that, though specifically the controller screens wherein I'm expected to memorize every single input. I just skip past those. It just tells me that they were too lazy to introduce the mechanics to me in a clever way, so why should I spend more time memorizing said inputs than was spent on that prompt itself?

And nobody likes tutorials. I don't necessarily hate them because it feels like I'm having my hand held, it's just taking time away from the actual game.

MSico
05-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Omnislacker I think that's really interesting. I think male power fantasies make for boring or otherwise too similar games in general, but I especially enjoy playing a game where the player character is nothing like me whatsoever. If the game wants to engross me, make me care about the character, not project myself onto them, because unless the story is especially interesting and/or offers choices, I have little investment in a game where I wind up having to play as myself. Video games are about escapism AND storytelling.

Usually this translates into me seeing what a game will let me get away with in terms of player boundaries. For instance, early in GTA5 there is a mission with your new dog where it gets distracted by a female dog. The game told me to press a button to whistle at it to get its attention. I thought "psh, whistle" and shot the female dog in the head. When it told me "objective complete" I thought maaaaan, they're gonna need more ramifications than that if I'm going to believe the game straight up doesn't care that I'm a stay-at-home dog murderer.

Kennyan
05-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Just of the top of my head I'll say boss fights that don't have a retry option if you lose, but instead take you to the save point just outside the boss room so you have to watch the unskippable 5 minute cutscene again..

OmniSlacker
05-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Omnislacker I think that's really interesting. I think male power fantasies make for boring or otherwise too similar games in general, but I especially enjoy playing a game where the player character is nothing like me whatsoever. If the game wants to engross me, make me care about the character, not project myself onto them, because unless the story is especially interesting and/or offers choices, I have little investment in a game where I wind up having to play as myself. Video games are about escapism AND storytelling.

Usually this translates into me seeing what a game will let me get away with in terms of player boundaries. For instance, early in GTA5 there is a mission with your new dog where it gets distracted by a female dog. The game told me to press a button to whistle at it to get its attention. I thought "psh, whistle" and shot the female dog in the head. When it told me "objective complete" I thought maaaaan, they're gonna need more ramifications than that if I'm going to believe the game straight up doesn't care that I'm a stay-at-home dog murderer.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I can -appreciate- good storylines even if I can't relate to the characters, but I probably wouldn't revisit the medium often, or even include the overall experience as one of my favorites. While not making a reference to the videogame series, I can reference Dragonball Z. I really enjoyed the story (at least from the Saiyan Saga to the Frieza Saga) but I couldn't relate to any of the characters. Yes, I realize most of them were superhuman, but still, it's the same reason I can't relate to Superman. Another point to make is people that wear big bulky armor in games, which even if the armor was real, I wouldn't be able to wear. So, that breaks a bit of the immersion for me.

Even in Skyrim I needed a mod to scale my Dovahkiin down a bit in terms of muscle mass before I was properly immersed. I suppose at the end of the day, it's personal preference.

Just of the top of my head I'll say boss fights that don't have a retry option if you lose, but instead take you to the save point just outside the boss room so you have to watch the unskippable 5 minute cutscene again..

I can understand that. Specifically, I don't like it when games leave enough room for you to engage in encounters just before a boss. The save point will be there, but it won't be RIGHT outside the boss room, so you're never guaranteed to fight the boss with full health/mana.

cHicKeLoR
05-26-2014, 04:17 AM

I agree. I can see that some games need a tutorial but it should be made well and interesting in some way. In the best way possible - the game would teach you. That is not always possible or may cost too much time. So, having a tutorial that does not interrupt the game every minute or break gameplay on a regular basis should be avoided.

caramelslice
05-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Lock-on mechanics that actually make the camera wonky in some areas. Drakengard still suffers from this, so I find myself not locking on half of the time.

DavyBones24
05-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah same here.

Insert here the annoying hour long tutorial beginning in LoZ Skyward Sword.

Amaterasu
06-02-2014, 09:19 PM

As several other people have already said, me too. I don't mind tutorials themselves, but please let you be able to skip them, game.

CurrentLeaf
06-03-2014, 01:12 AM
I have a few, as other people mentioned unnecessarily long tutorials and grinding. If a game cannot teach you how to play it organically or with very minimal non invasive instruction, it is doing things wrong. Also, games that involve leveling are fine, I just wish there wasn't so much need to grind in most cases, I feel like it's empty achievement.

NicoCW
06-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Every game has a run button instead of a walk button. I'm running 90% of the time. Just make a walk button.
Every game defaults to "No" when they defaulted to "Yes" before. Now I always mess that up.

notmman
06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Top three things I think video games need to get rid of?

1. Ice Physics
2. Villain 'Twists'
3. Bad Camera Angles.

So yeah I think most people will agree with me that ice physics in most platformers or games generally slows the pace down and makes it unenjoyable to play. There are a few exceptions to the rule in which ice physics make a level or gimmick more fun, but those are very few and far between (at least in my experience). Snow in general can either make things slippery or just slow the character down and I've never really enjoyed playing through some ice levels/snow themed portions of games because of this.

The other two are a little more objective but they do irritate me quite a fair bit. The villain twist is quickly becoming one of my least favourite story devices in games and I think it's because it's very overdone. Your twist either falls into the 'Well I didn't expect that' category or the 'Wow, didn't see that one coming *sarcasm*' category. I'm not denying the existence of effective villain twists in games, I'm just saying that it's okay to have a character begin and end the story as the main villain throughout the entire game. In a way, I respect the character more for sticking to their demented values throughout the adventure, rather than attempting to either hide or convince the player otherwise.