PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart 8

Wallace
05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
After searching using the forum search feature, I found myself quite disappointed that this thread does not exist. I know we have quite a few Mario Kart fans in this community. So, now we have one!

So, I wasn't sure if I planned to purchase this game day 1 or not. The fact that I have a vacation coming up next week - and that buying the game will let me get a free download of Windwaker HD.. I think I've decided to buy it as soon as possible. For those of you who don't know already http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/ You actually have a few other choices. Pikmin 3 is a close second on my list. The other two choices are New Super Mario Bros U, and Wii Party U. Because I already have New Super Mario Bros U, and I have no desire to get Wii Party U, plus I'm a huge Zelda fan.. it's a no-brainer.

I hope you all are planning to get the game. I'll finally have a reason to use my Wii U!

MSico
05-25-2014, 03:41 PM
We are totally getting it on day one, but that Wind Waker / Pikmin 3 decision is going to be tough. We still have the gamecube version of WW so I don't know yet

Twister468
05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Me and some friends have been so excited for this game for almost month. I'm going with Pikmin 3 since I have the WWHD Wii U. I really look forward to playing with everyone.

Kennyan
05-26-2014, 10:09 AM
I just learned that the Bergsala AB, the scandinavian distributor, and Nintendo of Europe has arranged a work-around for the Club Nintendo requirement for the free game.. YAY!

Now, I want to pick one that has good local multiplayer so which do you people think I should pick? I'm considering Mario & Sonic at the Sochi, Wii Party U, or possibly Game and Wario..

Anyway, my copy can't arrive fast enough.. I'm hoping to race a whole bunch of you, even though I'll probably stink.. =D

Sangome
05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I preordered and paid this off about a week ago. So excited! Great way to kick off the summer.

As for my free game, I already have Wind Waker HD, so I think I'll be going with Pikmin 3. I've only ever played the first game, and I liked it but I was terrible at it...but it still looks fun.

nmufred
05-26-2014, 09:08 PM
I can't wait to kick all your butts this weekend when we all get Mario Kart 8. And as far as the free game, I look forward to getting Pikmin 3, although I haven't played much of even Pikmin 1 yet.

jdtwins2009
05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Can't wait to get it!
When they announced the free game thing I knew I would be getting Pikmin 3 right away since that's the only one I don't have besides Party U. I kept meaning to get Pikmin but never did so this is a lucky break!

Kennyan
05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
As this thursday is a holiday here the postal service might not be able to get me this game on friday.. =(

DrewStern
05-27-2014, 06:42 PM
I am definitely getting this either Sunday or after school Monday. This game looks incredible, plus a free copy of Pikmin 3.

Wallace
05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Any plans for a live stream like we used to do on the Wii?

Meta289
05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm going to try to get this ASAP. I'm getting WWHD as the bonus, since I already have Pikmin 3, and I have no interest in NSMBU or Wii Party U.

I'm totally going to be playing as Pink Gold Peach.

Kennyan
05-29-2014, 02:53 AM
Any plans for a live stream like we used to do on the Wii?The Schedule lists Mario Kart 8 with Metal Man..

Wallace
05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
My copy is downloading now. I'm getting digital download because of kids... :/

CurrentLeaf
05-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Going to pick it up tomorrow morning, couldn't resist that free download for Pikmin 3 that came with it. Hype train roll out.

rudy06
05-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I'll be picking it up on the way home. I am definitely ready for some Mario Kart antics. Man...I still remember doing those community races...dang Mezix was one of my biggest challenges. Can't forget Abby either....so pumped!!!

Sangome
05-30-2014, 01:42 PM
This game is so beautiful I might cry

CurrentLeaf
05-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Smooth as butter, oil and hair gel all mixed together. Just finished all of the 50cc cups, onward to 100.

Meta289
05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
I want to strangle whoever thought it was a good idea to make coins an item. Red Shell behind you, and you get an item to try and block it? Coins. Someone right in front of you, begging to get hit by a shell? Coins.

ZebraGoomba
05-30-2014, 03:21 PM
I picked up my copy. My brother and I tried Versus, Battle, and 50cc Mushroom Cup. I'm loving it so far.

Edit: And, as I should have expected, Club Nintendo is being slow as crap. I think the thing just ate up my code. I swear, I'll be pissed if it did. I put in the PIN and started the survey and then it crashed, and when I got back on again and tried to use it, it said it was already used, but then it crashed again. I'll find out for real in a second.

Edit 2: No wait, it's all good. Guess it was just a mistake. It's just a matter of toughing out this annoying lag now.

CurrentLeaf
05-30-2014, 04:20 PM
The coin item can help out a bit if you've suffered some hits and need to get going, especially on courses where the coin count is lower, but it is definitely annoying when you can see and incoming attack and have no way to defend yourself.

Meta289
05-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Oh my god, I can't even log into Club Nintendo properly. I log in for 10 seconds, try to register something, get kicked out, try to log in again, get an error, then get kicked out again. Repeat until I get the "Under maintenance" screen.

Also, does the AI feel more bipolar than ever, or is it just me? The AI either completely leaves me alone, or it's just flat-out relentless. No in-between.

Sangome
05-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah,the AI's tenacity seems to vary from course to course. Sometimes there's not a problem, other times they practically gang up on me and slam me with item after item.

I hope Club Nintendo gets itself straightened out soon. I want Pikmin 3. You'd think Nintendo would've learned to straighten this all out after the Christmas debacle, but I guess it's not a major Nintendo release without something exploding.

Wallace
05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah,the AI's tenacity seems to vary from course to course. Sometimes there's not a problem, other times they practically gang up on me and slam me with item after item.

I hope Club Nintendo gets itself straightened out soon. I want Pikmin 3. You'd think Nintendo would've learned to straighten this all out after the Christmas debacle, but I guess it's not a major Nintendo release without something exploding.

I ran one race where after tossing a banana peel in front of me, while I was in second place it almost looked like Daisy (Who was in first) actually went out of her way to run over the banana peel. But the race after it at the end of the last lap I was slammed with a whole bunch of red shells taking me from first to fifth place.

CurrentLeaf
05-31-2014, 02:58 AM
Got hit by 3 consecutive shells, then a bomb, then a boomerang all in the exact same spot. Went from 1st to last in a matter of seconds. This game can be nuts sometimes. But yeah I see what you're saying about it being bipolar. Even in some of the harder 100cc courses as long as I don't make any major screw-ups I pretty much coast in first the whole way through. Other times, see example one.

Sangome
05-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Got three more people to unlock -- Larry, Ludwig, and Lakitu. All beginning with the letter L, funnily enough.

Meanwhile, Club Nintendo still isn't working properly.

XModxGodX
05-31-2014, 04:36 PM
I got lucky with Club Nintendo because I happened to remembered to get the download code at midnight last night when everyone was asleep and it still had a couple issues even then.
Also anyone know how to check your total coins in the game? It really bugs me not knowing how many I have...

Wallace
05-31-2014, 04:38 PM
I had a little problem but for the most part it worked out. It was midnight release. Because I got the digital copy instead. I've been playing more Wind Waker then Mario Kart.

notmman
05-31-2014, 10:14 PM
A friend of mine picked this up the other day and we've managed to play through both the new and retro tracks. I'd say this is as good as 7, but I think 7 wins by just a fraction as (at least what I would consider) the best Mario Kart.

Sunshine Airport and Electrodome are easily the best new tracks, with the Cloud one in third place.

CurrentLeaf
06-01-2014, 12:06 AM
The code is valid through mid July so I'm going to hold off for about a month and let the traffic let up before I try redeeming.

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 08:25 AM
If anyone's interested in the hidden stats:

http://i.imgur.com/W2Lxnib.png

Nevermind the weird numbers for speed in Mario's tier, it's 3.75 across the board. I blame Excel or whatever was used to make this.

Anyway, one thing that jumps out at me is HOLY BIDDYBUGGY BATMAN. It's the slowest vehicle on land, but it's tied for fastest in water and air, and there's no penalty in anti-gravity sections either. Plus there's that huge boost to mini-turbo. Roller tires also seem great, for the same reasons. Finally, what's the point of heavy gliders? Light ones not only boost acceleration, but also air handling and mini-turbo. Meanwhile, heavier ones have higher weight (which hardly seems to matter) and air speed. Wheeeeee.

NicoCW
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
So this whole time, I was using possibly one of the best combinations and didn't even know it?

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Quite possibly. Literally this thing's only major drawback is being really slow on land. The only other negative stats are -0.5 weight, which no one will miss, and -0.25 traction. OH NO NOT A QUARTER OF A POINT IN TRACTION WHATEVER SHALL I DO.

localretard
06-01-2014, 02:55 PM
If anyone's interested in the hidden stats:

http://i.imgur.com/W2Lxnib.png

Nevermind the weird numbers for speed in Mario's tier, it's 3.75 across the board. I blame Excel or whatever was used to make this.

Anyway, one thing that jumps out at me is HOLY BIDDYBUGGY BATMAN. It's the slowest vehicle on land, but it's tied for fastest in water and air, and there's no penalty in anti-gravity sections either. Plus there's that huge boost to mini-turbo. Roller tires also seem great, for the same reasons. Finally, what's the point of heavy gliders? Light ones not only boost acceleration, but also air handling and mini-turbo. Meanwhile, heavier ones have higher weight (which hardly seems to matter) and air speed. Wheeeeee.
Here is a colorized version for easier reading: http://i.imgur.com/WwqJF4O.png

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Not sure having a total is a good idea, because whatever has high speed or handling will naturally have higher totals, due to there being four of each, and even there not every stat is worthwhile. We're talking about numbers that are arguably even more meaningless than BSTs in Pokémon.

Also, the Standard ATV appears to be missing, though of course you can just check the Badwagon group anyway.

Edit: Oh, and the mini-turbo stats for Mario's and DK's tiers appear to be off.

localretard
06-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Not sure having a total is a good idea, because whatever has high speed or handling will naturally have higher totals, due to there being four of each, and even there not every stat is worthwhile. We're talking about numbers that are arguably even more meaningless than BSTs in Pokémon.

Also, the Standard ATV appears to be missing, though of course you can just check the Badwagon group anyway.

Edit: Oh, and the mini-turbo stats for Mario's and DK's tiers appear to be off.
They may be off, perhaps the person who typed it up just made a mistake. I don't know. Here is the actual google doc though with separate tables and stuff. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15ZWPhZpHQ2kTYmqJujAzCRXuhMWNlpFs2FYls4BNSlc/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#)

NicoCW
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
I compiled this.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/e92b116694da89217169ed18236104d1/tumblr_n6iffheRJI1r5wkkso1_1280.png

Which one seems better? I don't have the game on me right now (my friend owns the Wii U) so I can't test these out right now. I only ask because the stats on top are the closest you can get to the Dry Bomber (which was the most OP kart in MKDS), and I've always been better at racing with high Acceleration and Handling characters.

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 04:44 PM
A few things are off, most importantly your heavy set's land handling. The super heavyweights' handling is 2.25, not 4.75. Also, 3.25 + 1.25 + 1.00 + 0.25 = 5.75 (your light setup's accel). It's absolutely impossible to get higher than 5.75 or lower than 1. Likewise, your heavy setup's accel adds up to 4.50. Anyway, in terms of acceleration, the difference between the two is roughly 0.4 seconds every time you come to a complete halt, probably lower than that if you're just slowed down.

My personal choice comes down to how well you're able to corner with handling at or around 3. If you can handle that, there's no reason to go for lighter sets, because you just end up completely crippling your speed. If that handling's not quite enough, and you really really love high acceleration, you MIGHT want to consider using Mario/Luigi/Iggy/Ludwig instead, because your acceleration will then hit the magic mark of 5, and you'll have extra handling and traction without going as slow as a turtle's turd like you would with a featherweight.

Edit: Oh, you got those handling stats from Local's link. Don't trust that table, it's absolutely terrible.

the1stpkmnfan
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
It was hard for me to pick a download copy, because I'm a person who loves to own the boxes to the games. Nonetheless, I downloaded Pikmin 3.

Love Mario Kart 8 so far. Looks great, and feels great. Just working my way to get all 3 stars per Cup.

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 05:40 PM
From what I hear, it's a lot easier than it used to be. 54 points for one star, 57 for two, and 60 for three. No total time and other unknown variable BS. Does that sound right?

NicoCW
06-01-2014, 06:59 PM
A few things are off, most importantly your heavy set's land handling. The super heavyweights' handling is 2.25, not 4.75. Also, 3.25 + 1.25 + 1.00 + 0.25 = 5.75 (your light setup's accel). It's absolutely impossible to get higher than 5.75 or lower than 1. Likewise, your heavy setup's accel adds up to 4.50.

Doesn't the Acceleration round up if it's .75?

Also, I see a bunch of different stat tables, which one is the right one?

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM
That was the case in MK7, but in MK8 you want to aim for whole numbers instead. Unless they're above 5, where you get a benefit for every quarter of a point.

And the one I linked to has the correct stats, except for 3.75 being the speed across the board for Mario's tier. Of course it's only a few hundredths that were added because Excel can't tell when you want to increment values or keep them the same when you stretch the value of a single cell over several.

NicoCW
06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
So wait, just to make sure, 3.75 and 4.50 would be the same as 4, but 5, 5.25, 5.50, and 5.75 are all different?

Slowflake
06-01-2014, 07:37 PM
No, 3.75 would be the same as 3, then 4, 4.25, 4.50 and 4.75 would all be the same, then everything at and above 5 is different. But there are massive diminishing returns at that point. Many people seem to believe going above 4 is useless.

CurrentLeaf
06-01-2014, 09:48 PM
After playing a bit more, Morton is definitely way better than Ludwig. Is there a better combo than Sports Coupe, Cyber Slick, Parafoil? Things in those respective tiers seem to yield the best results unless I am missing something.

NicoCW
06-02-2014, 02:12 AM
I played all night, and no doubt, Wario/Bowser/Morton > Biddybuggy/Landship > Roller/Whatever > +Acceleration Glider is master race.

Slowflake
06-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Then again, if you're into inward-drifting bikes, you can hit 4 acceleration while still having 4.25 land speed and decent handling, which is great. Of course I haven't tried it out yet, so I can't tell how much getting used to the new inward drifting needs, but it's also one of the most notable combos for sheer stats.

Kennyan
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Phew, unlocked mirror mode finally.. I'm not good with 150cc..

Meta289
07-28-2014, 02:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVuAidW5ohA

So yeah. Mario Kart.

versd0ra
08-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Close victory :)

KEM64
08-27-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/mario_kart_8_dlc_coming_in_november_features_zelda _f_zero_and_animal_crossing

This is not a joke. Nintendo has announced 2 new packs of DLC for Mario Kart 8 which adds new characters and tracks from Mario, Legend of Zelda, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and Excitebike.

The Packs have....

Pack 1:

-3 Characters (Link, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach. Think they've got enough Mario and Peach characters in the game?).
-4 Vehicles.
-8 Courses.

Pack 2:

-3 Characters (Villager, Isabelle, and Dry Bowser).
-4 Vehicles.
-8 Courses.

Yoshi and Shy Guy will also get 8 new colors each if you buy either pack.

The first pack comes out in November for $7.99, the second pack comes out in May 2015 for $7.99. You can buy both for $11.99.

aaronpaul
03-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I just got this one in the 150cup I have a hard time playing