PDA

View Full Version : E3 2014

DrewStern
06-08-2014, 05:21 PM
E3 2014 begins tomorrow morning, and a complete show schedule can be seen right here: http://i.imgur.com/x0PRqOj.jpg

This year is bound to be competitive. Coming off of last year's console releases, Sony and Microsoft now have to prove that they back up their products with a strong line-up of software. Meanwhile, Nintendo is once again falling back on a Nintendo Direct show, a strategy that proved interesting for them last year. You can count on a war for the exclusives, where the two will try to shift the sales momentum by edging over the other. It's hard to forget Microsoft's fumble last year with the XBox One presentation, though. Since then they have retracted their always online policy and delivered the option for a console without Kinect.

With sales for the WiiU dragging far behind the competition, Nintendo will definitely be out to show the world that they shouldn't be counted out quite yet. With Smash Bros. on the horizon for both 3DS and Wii, and Mario Kart in their rearview mirror, Nintendo is out to kill by reigniting their fan base. What are all of your bold predictions for this year?

NicoCW
06-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Predictions:

-Game where you shoot the zombie.
-Protagonist that’s a dude with squinty eyes and a buzz cut.
-New next gen engine: Birds fly away when you go near them.
-20 minutes dedicated to a kid’s toy.
-Musical performance.
-Sports.
-Technology nobody’s gonna use.
-Mario title that looks the same as the last one.
-Another Mario title that looks the same as the last one.
-Kotaku writer finds shit to get offended over.
-Microsoft shows off bland-as-fuck car racing game.
-Charts & Graphs (a.k.a. bathroom break).
-Ubisoft tries to get someone funny; gets a douchebag instead.
-Feminists angry that 100% of everything shown didn’t cater to them.
-Nintendo’s online is still ass.
-“Tell me when the Smash Bros. announcement comes on.”

There is literally no way E3 isn't going to suck this year. It's like watching a car accident. I'll be up tomorrow to watch Microsoft's car accident.

DrewStern
06-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Don't want to hijack my thread so soon, but I have a quick question. Do we expect Nintendo's Presentation to start a bit late? I am getting home around noon (EST) and don't want to miss a thing.

Also, some bold predictions:
- Animal Crossing U
- Star Wars Battlefront, teasing the seventh movie a bit
- A new iteration of the 2DS/3DS
- A New 3D Mario Game, soul successor to Galaxy/Sunshine
- More info about the division
- Nintendo edging away from the Gamepad/Weak attempt to reinvigorate it
- A new next generation style sports franchise
- Yarn Yoshi
- An open world Need for Speed/racing title
- ANOTHER New Super Mario Bros.
- A new Nintendo original IP (Gets the 90-minute spot, shows off WiiU capabilities)

My (rather unrealistic) Wishlist:
- Zelda U, wide open world Twilight Princess-esque game
- Majora's Mask 3D
- An incredible exclusive for PS4
- Super Mario Sunshine Remake/WiiU Port
- Portal 3/Half-Life 3 (haha)
- New F-Zero
- Harry Potter RPG
- Hunger Games Survival Game

My problem with Nintendo right now is that are their Wii U titles seem half-ass. While Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D World are gorgeous and amazing, they could just as easily been Wii titles. Nintendo needs to shake up the game and get with the large, open-world, new generation environment. Wind Waker was a nice step to show off these capabilities, but I was disappointed to see Mario Kart stick with only 32 tracks. This warrants another on the wishlist:

- Mario Kart 8 DLC

Please! I'm begging you Nintendo. The game was a smash, give it more.

notmman
06-08-2014, 07:02 PM
A new Metroid game would be nice.
A new Crash Bandicoot game would be nice.
A port of Mother 3 to the 3DS/ Wii U virtual console would be nice.

This is literally my thought process when I watch stuff like e3.

Sangome
06-09-2014, 12:39 AM
I really don't know what I want from E3 this year. I guess ultimately I want Nintendo to truly put out some big hits for the Wii U [Mario Kart 8 seems to be starting that, but whether or not it'll carry it on remains to be seen]. As for Sony and Microsoft, maybe a reason to want to buy either of those systems. But KHIII and FFXV aren't even gonna be at E3 so most of what I'd be watching Sony for is out the window, unless that turns out to be a cleverly-crafted lie. [Still gonna watch their conference though.]

I guess I mostly just want a solid release date for Smash Bros and the announcement of a Gamecube virtual console. And maybe for Level 5 and Nintendo to remember that they haven't released Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright here yet.

Kennyan
06-09-2014, 12:41 PM
So the Microsoft conference didn't have a lot that interested me, but then I've never had any measurable interest in the Xbox family to begin with.. However if you, unlike me, are a fan then you probably got some nice treats out of it..

Thoughts:
Sunset Overdrive - Somehow I hadn't heard about this before today.. Ever since Insomniac turned Overstrike into Fuse I've been hoping to see something from them with the same kind of emotion from it as the original trailer.. Sunset Overdrive could have been that had it not been an Xbox One exclusive..

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Want more info on it, but it was nice to see it at least..

Conker - That was just mean, don't tease us like that when you know we want a proper sequel.. Meanies!

caramelslice
06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Nice to know The Last Guardian isn't cancelled 8D

Kennyan
06-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Also, it's always fun to watch E3 with you people so come hang out in the tsg chat if you'd like..

Kennyan
06-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Nothing really appealed to me during EA's conference, and the only thing Ubi showed that got me curious was Valiant Hearts..

DrewStern
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Where is the TSG Chat at? I'd love to be there for Sony.

GrimsChild
06-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Nice to know The Last Guardian isn't cancelled 8D

You wouldn't know it watching Sony though (WHERE IS VIB RIBBON 2!!!)

Sangome
06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Can't believe I'm saying it but I actually liked Microsoft's conference better. Sony had a few good things but then the STATS STATS STATS TV TV TV set in.

We'll see how Nintendo fares tomorrow...

lionheart91
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
I can live with the fact that there will be no Final Fantasy XV at E3 because they gave me Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. 2015 is going to be a good year.

Amaterasu
06-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Can't believe I'm saying it but I actually liked Microsoft's conference better. Sony had a few good things but then the STATS STATS STATS TV TV TV set in.

This. Sony was just disappointing.

caramelslice
06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
I think Bloodborne was the only thing I was really excited for out of Sony's conference. ABZ█ looked cool too.

Amaterasu
06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
The problem with Bloodborne is we know nothing about it. If we actually saw some gameplay, or something, then I might be on board. But for now, all I can say is I need more information about the game before getting hyped for it.

Kennyan
06-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Where is the TSG Chat at? I'd love to be there for Sony.Just the regular twitch chat.. I'll be there again for Nintendo..

cHicKeLoR
06-10-2014, 08:15 AM
I hope for some good stuff by Nintendo. Sadly, I will miss the first Nintendo and Deep Silver conferenz. But I hope Deep Silver will talk about Risen 3 a bit. Nintendo... some good Wii U games (old or new ip) and some good 3ds games. Metroid and Zelda would be awesome :)

DwarfInASuit
06-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Redditor "Cool_Like_dat" made a neat Google doc that sums up the press conferences from yesterday and may be updated with today's conferences. It be here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lpJLzCVgRwS_1NfFwgcIrGTaJ9jHPThaDSKwPO_SrRs/preview?sle=true) for all the people with jobs/lives that couldn't watch any of the press conferences yesterday.

V I D E O G A M E S

caramelslice
06-10-2014, 11:12 AM
The problem with Bloodborne is we know nothing about it. If we actually saw some gameplay, or something, then I might be on board. But for now, all I can say is I need more information about the game before getting hyped for it.
A valid point. If it's anything like the Souls games though, I'm all for it.

KEM64
06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Nintendo's Digital Event is over, here's what was shown....

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS:
-Miis confirmed as Mii Fighter.
-Mii Fighters have 3 different classes: Brawler (Fight with fists), Swordfighters (Fight with swords), and Gunners (Fight with Arm Cannons like Samus).
-Figurines can be used in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
-3DS Version has something like the Fiend’s Cauldron from Kid Icarus Uprising.
-3DS Version coming out October 3rd, 2014.
-Wii U version still listed for Holiday 2014.

Other:
-The figurines are called Amiibos.
-Mario Kart 8 also going to have Amiibos.

Yoshi's Wooly World:
-Looks like Kirby’s Epic Yarn but with Yoshi’s Island (minus Baby Mario) instead of Kirby.
-Has a 2 player Co-Op mode.
-Coming 2015.

Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker:
-Coming 2014.
-Looks like a game based off the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World.

Zelda Wii U:
-Due out 2015.

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:
-Groudon and Kyogre have Mega Evolutions.

Bayonetta 2:
-Bayonetta can wear costumes of Nintendo characters like Peach, Link, and Samus.
-Due out October 2014.

Hyrule Warriors:
-Has a 2 Player Mode.
-Zelda and Midna are playable along with Link and Impa.
-Due out September 26th 2014.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse:
-Looks like a sequel to Kirby Canvas Curse.
-Has abilities like Missile and Tank.
-Has actual boss fights like Whispy Woods.
-Coming 2015.

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Yes, this is X's actual name now):
-Coming 2015.

Mario Maker:
-Create your own Mario Levels.
-can play created stages in 8-bit and New Super Mario Bros. styles.
-Coming 2015.

Splatoon:
-A Multiplayer game with teams using paint to cover territory.
-Characters can turn into a squid for faster travel through their own paint.
-Gamepad shows map where you can see what territory is covered by which team's paint in real time.
-Gamepad can also be used to jump to teammate's locations.
-Coming 2015.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS (again):
-Palutena confirmed as a fighter.

Post-Event:
-Mario Party 10 in development.
-Bowser is the star of Mario Party 10.
-1 Player uses the Gamepad to play as Bowser and be a jerk to the other players.
-It will use those Amiibo Figurines.

That was it. Kind-of underwhelming aside from Smash Bros. (although I don't know what to think about the Mii Fighter) and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Kennyan
06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Probably worth mentioning that you get the original Bayonetta for free when you buy Bayonetta 2..

To quote myself:
"I wonder how much of the story you'll miss if you don't play the original before Bayonetta 2.."
*literally seconds later*
"never mind"

Splatoon could turn into something fun and unique I think, but I'm not sure right now..

Also, did anyone catch if there was going to be physical release of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, or eshop only?

diddyknux
06-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I liked the Nintendo Direct, I just wish it hadn't been so short.

caramelslice
06-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Hmm, so we're finally getting Type-0?

Amaterasu
06-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Yep, for PS4 and XB1, it looks like (another reason for me to get a PS4). I think that's all we know, though. So long as there's a physical release, I'll be happy.

Meta289
06-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Oh my god this hype I can't hold it all

Oh, and, uh, Pac-Man's in Smash Bros., apparently.

Shiron
06-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah, okay... Nintendo definitely won this E3 for me. Sunset Overdrive definitely looks phenomenal to be on the Xbox One side of things, and on the Sony end, No Man's Sky looks like an amazing concept, I'm definitely curious about stuff like the Grim Fandango remake (never played the original game, but I've only heard good things about it) and stuff like LBP3 and the Ratchet and Clank remake, (ditto), but Nintendo just packed in too much awesomeness today:

-Yoshi's Wooly World looks absolutely brilliant from what they showed today. Much, much better than the initial showing. And I definitely enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn and enjoy Kirby and Yoshi series in general and trust Good Feel, so definitely looking forward to this now.

-Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker: Definitely didn't expect this, but I'm definitely glad it exists, since I absolutely loved the Captain Toad levels in 3D World and from both what they showed in the Nintendo Digital event and especially what they showed of it in the Treehouse stream afterward, the game seems like an absolutely fantastic expansion on the concept. Definitely can't wait. :D

-Zelda Wii U: While not much to say here yet, I definitely liked what I saw and can't wait to see where this goes.

-Hyrule Warriors: Didn't think I'd be that interested in this game. But then I was watching the game being played on the Treehouse stream and this happened:
http://i.minus.com/ib2Aqos86pv4rL.gif

Yeah, that's the Great Fairy summoning the Moon from Majora's Mask to ground Argorok, the dragon-boss from Twilight Princess. You bet that helped to get my attention. :D Of course, I'm still not quite sure if I want this game, since Dynasty Warriors isn't exactly my thing, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it now and seeing what happens.

-Smash Bros: Still looking great and I'm glad Palutena made it in. Of course, I'd really, really prefer if it was Hades (especially as spoilers obviously weren't really a concern here, since they mention the Chaos Kin in her reveal (which is actually something that really kind of ticked me off, spoiling something like that for people who haven't played the game for no effing reason at all. Of course, that could partly be from me still being really sore right now about how the How to Train Your Dragon 2 trailers spoil what is obviously supposed to be a major twist in the movie itself, but still), which is something that appears much later than Hades), but still happy with this.

-Xenoblade Chronicles X: The new trailer shown during the Nintendo Digital Event wasn't that great, but the gameplay shown on the Treehouse stream afterwards definitely did a fantastic job indicating that this game still looks absolutely phenomenal with just brilliant scope everywhere and I absolutely can't wait to give it a try, especially as I loved Xenoblade. But yeah, the game definitely looked great on the stream and I can't wait to see more of it.

And in a bit of smaller news, though definitely still worth mentioning, Nintendo also uploaded a bunch of trailers for indie-games and other smaller projects to their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/videos

And on that front, I'd like to give a mention to the game Gunman Clive 2, since I really liked the first game and this game looks even better. It's just a simple action-platformer, but it looks great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhbgNCwW3Q

But yeah, definitely really, really happy with what I saw today. Now, if only I had the money to actually buy all this stuff! xD

Shiron
06-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Also, did anyone catch if there was going to be physical release of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, or eshop only?
Meant to reply to this, but ended up forgetting while I was writing my post. Whoops. xD

In any case, yeah, it's definitely getting a physical release:
http://abload.de/img/screen-shot-2014-06-1s4yj7.png

GrimsChild
06-11-2014, 06:25 AM

The fan translation was literally released TWO DAYS after squeenix announced this.

cHicKeLoR
06-11-2014, 09:13 AM
I might be wrong but I think that Bayonetta can only dress up in the first game (which is included when buying a hard copy)and not in the second game. But I am not sure.

I liked the games that Nintendo showed. I was sceptical of Splatoon but the more I saw the more I wanted it:D. Might be time to get a WiiU in 2015 (when I can afford it).

Kennyan
06-11-2014, 10:08 AM
In any case, yeah, it's definitely getting a physical release:
http://abload.de/img/screen-shot-2014-06-1s4yj7.pngThis makes me happy!

caramelslice
06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
The fan translation was literally released TWO DAYS after squeenix announced this.
I wonder how that's gonna be handled. The issue with fan translations vs. official localizations is still mostly unknown territory for me. Would they use the fan translations and pay the guys who did it or?

Sangome
06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

This seems to be a weird trend lately. The announcement of the "localization"* of Tales of Hearts R came literally a day after the fan translation team for the original DS version announced that they were picking up steam with it. I'm beginning to wonder if they're all doing this intentionally.

* I use localization loosely in this case because Hearts R is shaping up to be a quick cash in to appease fans that were wanting it. No English dub, really terrible and hard to read subs, questionable naming choices...

caramelslice
06-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Ah, actually I recall looking over an article on Polygon about "the underground world of fan-translated games" and came across this little bit in regards to Type-0

When contacted, Square Enix said they knew about the Final Fantasy Type-0 project, but would not offer comment.

Here's the article written back in May.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/14/5335288/fan-translations-japanese-western-localization-translation-games

diddyknux
06-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Love the Nintendo costumes in the Bayonetta rerelease

Kennyan
06-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Okay, the more I see of Splatoon the more I want it.. If Nintendo plays this card right they will end up with a true gem of a game..

Sangome
06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Intrigued by Codename STEAM. At first I was mildly interested at best, but as soon as they said it was being developed by Intelligent Systems [the Paper Mario and Fire Emblem people], I was all over it.

Also need to keep an eye on No Man's Sky. It looks really interesting the more I ponder on it.

GrimsChild
06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Squeenix announced that they had been sitting on the translated version of Type-0 for two years.

Squeenix.txt