PDA

View Full Version : Would You Prefer Nintendo Going Back to a "Typical" Console Style?

JoshBresser
07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
I've always wondered what people's thoughts on this were. With all else being equal- assume any console type would sell the same, etc- would YOU prefer Nintendo to go back to making traditional consoles? Or would you prefer that they stick to their console plan since the Wii- to create consoles based on motion, second technology, etc that, while under-powered relative to the current gen competition, offers unique gameplay options.

zach2m1
07-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Even though the Wii U has been out for a significant period of time I still really believe that we have yet to the see the best of Wii U's technology effectively and seamlessly implemented into games! Nintendo has always been that company that marches to the beat of their own drum and that is why I still love Nintendo to this day. They play it safe while at the same time not playing it safe if that makes any sense to anyone other than me? Anyways to answer you're question, I think that I would love to see Nintendo keep doing their own thing whether it be making traditional consoles, or offer a unique spin on a console. At the end of the day, I just hope that they make quality games as they usually do!!

JoshBresser
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
I would personally love it if Nintendo went back to the simple Controller+Screen format that we all know and love. While I have a Wii, I play my GameCube significantly more than I play it. I don't own a Wii U, but I've played it, and actually had a lot of fun. But, I couldn't see myself sitting down for hours regularly and playing it.

When I play a video game, I want to sit down with a controller/keyboard+mouse and a screen. I don't want to be waving my arms all around or trying to deal with a tablet and second screen when playing. That's just me, though. It's a shame, because I'm missing out on my favorite franchise's newest games because I don't want to deal with the gimmicks. I mean, I didn't even buy Skyward Sword for that reason. Looking at the trailer for the newest Zelda Game- it looks beautiful and it looks open world. It looks like the kind of game I could spend hours in...if only it wasn't for the Wii U (or at least, so we assume right now.)

I think it's possible that Nintendo is too far down this path to make a reversal to traditional style consoles. But, am I the only one who, looking at this idealistically, WOULD'T like to see Nintendo come back with an uber powerful console capable of better graphics than the competition? And even if Nintendo doesn't have the ability to make a console to best the competition from Microsoft/Sony hardware-wise, I think the PS2 showed that you can have an effective controller based console with less than stellar hardware.

bubbachuu
07-28-2015, 09:38 AM
I would much rather have the controller and screen format, on my Wii U most of the games I have can be play with just the controller between Windwaker or the virtual console games. Also when the wii was still the main console, I played a load more of GameCube games on it just because I enjoyed those games more. The motion controls never felt natural and I felt silly while playing Skyward Sword. Also pointing at the screen sucked to aim for bows and the such, someone with unsteady hands has a terrible time aiming correctly.

NicoCW
07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm voting for the invisible third option called "They should stop making consoles."

I'd much rather them keep making games and releasing them on all the other consoles. I overall think it would be better for everyone. As of now, most hardcore gamers and older gamers who played Nintendo in their youth aren't interested in Nintendo consoles, so there's barely a chance they'll bother paying $300+ for a new console just to play Nintendo games. If Nintendo releases games on other consoles, more people would buy them since they're accessible, and all the Nintendo fans who would've bought the next Nintendo console would just buy the next XBox, Playstation or stick to PC instead, saving $300 and getting the best of both worlds. And Smash Bros. on Steam would be dope.

The 3DS can stay though.

JoshBresser
07-28-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm voting for the invisible third option called "They should stop making consoles."

I'd much rather them keep making games and releasing them on all the other consoles. I overall think it would be better for everyone. As of now, most hardcore gamers and older gamers who played Nintendo in their youth aren't interested in Nintendo consoles, so there's barely a chance they'll bother paying $300+ for a new console just to play Nintendo games. If Nintendo releases games on other consoles, more people would buy them since they're accessible, and all the Nintendo fans who would've bought the next Nintendo console would just buy the next XBox, Playstation or stick to PC instead, saving $300 and getting the best of both worlds. And Smash Bros. on Steam would be dope.

The 3DS can stay though.

Playing that new Zelda game on my PC...hnnng.

Baltes
07-28-2015, 10:06 AM
i've got theories on NX
backwards compatible, but the tablet controller is sold separately. gives an option but keeps cost down.
Nintendo NEEDS something that isn't last gen in order to compete. They lost so many of the biggest franchises because devs want to move on to next gen hardware.
WiiU started out looking promising, but with much better hardware right around the corner, it's not surprising that it ended up this way
also the name, lulz

the interesting thing will be what they do with Zelda U. Do they release on WiiU or hold it till NX releases and do something similar to Twilight Princess

MrMahoses
07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
All I gotta say is that Nintendo needs to step it up with their product names. OH SNAP

AnythingButAwesome
07-28-2015, 10:30 PM
If the NX could use the tablet controller optionally that would be so great. My favorite part of the WiiU is just being able to play on the controller while I watch TV then switch back to playing on the TV when nothing is on.

I heard porting games is hard on the WiiU because of the strange way the hardware is set up so I hope on the NX they think more about third parties.

Infern
07-28-2015, 10:59 PM
If something gets the third party support back I'll be happy.

The Wii was hell of a lot easier for third party support since the ideas of motion controls were easy to come up with and to the most part worked well. While trying to add a second screen didn't help that much at all. I can only think of 2 games that even used the Pro controller for its second screen that wasn't just to either copy the T.V. or put a menu on it. Its usefull.. but really its just too hard to come up with ideas that work great with it.

cHicKeLoR
08-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Maybe they release Zelda U on both - assuming the NX is a new homeconsole - like TP?