PDA

View Full Version : I've literally never touched a Pokemon game before.

JoshBresser
08-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I kind of want to get into it. Where should I start?

Ammy175
08-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I would say Black and White 2, but first, you'd have to get through Black and White 1, with the horrific encounter rate it has. So unless you just wanna look up the story of B1/W1 on Bulbapedia or something (not that story's really a big deal in Pokemon, but I think you might need to know a few things from B1/W1 [but then again, I haven't played B2/W2 in a while]), I'd have to say Platinum's a good place to start. Except for the aforementioned Black/White and Black 2/White 2, none of the games are really connected, story wise, so in that aspect, it doesn't matter where you start.

Although I guess I should go ahead a do a little blurb on each generation quickly.

Gen 1: Contains Red, Blue, and Yellow (and the Japanese only Green). Would not recommend starting here, due to the mechanics being so different from modern day Pokemon. Although it's actually kind of interesting to go back and play them once you're familiar with generations 3 and later, just to see how different they are.

Gen 2: Contains Gold, Silver, and Crystal. The only games in the series (besides their remakes) to contain two regions. The first one, Johto (which is where the main story takes place), suffers from a bad level curve due to being able to go either east or west after beating the fourth gym leader. Then, when you go back to Kanto (the region gen 1 takes place in), the region is a bit... scaled down, to the point where entire dungeons are missing.

Gen 3: Contains Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald. Known for their infamous water routes. Half the game's 34 routes take place on land, while the other half take place on water, which is probably... I'd say 3 or 4 times the typical amount of water routes in a Pokemon game. Despite that, it's better than gens 1 and 2 (at least in my opinion). One thing unique to these games is that the evil team changes based on which version you're playing. Ruby has Team Magma as the antagonist, Sapphire has Team Aqua, and Emerald has both.

Gen 3 also contains remakes of the first gen games, Fire Red and Leaf Green. They update the games with 3rd gen's mechanics and graphics, and add some post game areas, but have a worse soundtrack than their gen 1 counterparts, and other oddities that I'm too lazy to go into.

Gen 4: Contains Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. These games are honestly kinda slow to play through, but as I said, Platinum's the one I'd have to recommend to first timers of the Pokemon series at this current point in time. The biggest thing about these games is that they changed how physical and special moves were determined. In previous games, all moves of a particular type were either physical or special (which led to some weird things like Bite and Crunch being special). Now, it's based on the move itself, meaning each type is capable of having physical and special moves.

Gen 4 also contains remakes of gen 2, titled HeartGold and SoulSilver. They still have level curve problems, but only in Johto (or not as bad as in Kanto, at least), and the Kanto overworld is improved, putting back in the dungeons that were removed.

Gen 5 contains Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. B/W have an awfully high encounter rate, as I've mentioned before, and don't contain any older Pokemon, resulting in some diversity problems and wonderful designs like Vanilluxe and Garbodor. B2/W2 are sequels to B/W, taking place 2 years after the events of the first games, and are the best main series games IMO. They have a good level curve, a larger selection of Pokemon than B/W, and have some pretty good tunes as well.

And finally, gen 6. They contain X and Y. While they have the biggest regional Pokedex at about 450, IIRC, the game suffers from an eh-er than usual story, an almost complete lack of postgame, and the utterly broken Experience Share. Before, it was an item you could have a Pokemon hold to gain Exp without having to battle, but now, it's a key item given to you very early in the game, and it gives all of your Pokemon experience, even if they don't fight. Luckily, you can turn it off if you wish.

Gen 6 also contains remakes of gen 3, titled Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. They have improved graphics and a (mostly) improved soundtrack, and some additional post game extras, but they're disappointingly easy, even without the Exp. Share. Plus, there's still the water routes.

One final note is that, unless you're trying to catch every single Pokemon, the "deluxe versions" (i.e., the games that come out a year or two after the two base versions, being Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum) are typically better than their base counterparts.

JoshBresser
08-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Excellent. Thanks!

Ammy175
08-06-2015, 02:44 PM
No problem! Although, if you wait a while, there's bound to be somebody else who'll chime in and provide their own opinion.

If you ever want to get into the spin-offs, definitely gotta recommend looking into Explorers of the Sky. Although it was a bit on the expensive side, the last time I checked (at least on Amazon)...

LordDirtyBritt
08-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I'd go with X/Y to start due to its lower than usual difficulty. In fact, a lot of people seem to have had success with X/Y as their first Pokemon game, or at least first since 15 or so years ago. I'd also recommend Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire if you want to complete the Pokedex. Then again, this all depends on what consoles you have on you.

Ammy175
08-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Actually, if you don't use the Exp. Share, X and Y has some difficult parts (I'm thinking those Fighting type trainers before the 3rd gym, mainly). Really, I think Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are easier (ignoring the broken free legendary and the Exp. Share).

LordDirtyBritt
08-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Never had any trouble with them myself. The parts I had the most trouble at were some of the team formations of a certain character in the Looker Bureau.

Ammy175
08-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Outta curiosity, what was your team? Did you use the Exp. Share?

NicoCW
08-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I'd say start with X/Y, then move onto White, then White 2.

XY can be beaten by a chimpanzee, so this is a good game to get you familiar with the mechanics with little punishment. There's also tons of Pokémon to catch in the wild to help get you familiar with them. The story is also super basic, so you shouldn't be confused anywhere.

Black/White Has a linear region, no Fairy-type, and not nearly as many Pokémon available before beating the game, but the difficulty is somewhere in the middle and the story connects with BW2. Go with White because it has better version exclusive Pokémon. Also, if you plan on playing the game post Elite Four, watch out of the massive opponent level spike.

White 2 is what I consider to be the best Pokémon game out there, but also the most challenging, so it's not a good idea to start with it. More areas were added to the map to make it less linear, there's twice as many Pokémon to catch than in BW1, many more features, and great attention to detail, among other things.

LordDirtyBritt
08-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Outta curiosity, what was your team? Did you use the Exp. Share?

Main game: Blaziken/Venusaur/Aegislash/Lapras/Gengar/Yveltal
Post game: Gengar/Yveltal/Tyranitar/Medicham/Heracross/Mewtwo

I only used the Exp. Share to allow my other members to catch up when they were at a low level. I decided against Pokemon Amie in ORAS as it caused the team's levels to go all over the place.

JoshBresser
08-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I suppose I really should have put this in the "Pokemon" section lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!