PDA

View Full Version : Episode 7 (Spoilers)

JaggerG
12-22-2015, 11:40 PM
An amazing movie. JJ Abrams is a freaking genius. Arguably a Star Trek level masterpiece. This movie took everything good about the series and polished it.

Firstly, I really appreciated that the returning characters played more than a mere cameo role. I'm a little disappointed that Leia had been notably less sassy, but Harrison Ford is still Han Solo through and through. C3PO is...also C3PO.

As for the next generation of characters, they're pretty unique to the series. There had been a big missing gap from Episode 3 to 4 that left out a ton of character development in Darth Vader, and I feel like Kylo Ren is finally giving us that progression. The setting of the movie really develops the main characters in a more interesting manner than 1-3 did. There's a lot of implied backstory that raises a lot of questions, though. I get the impression they're leaving these open so they can have a miniseries to fill it in. Most of the characters had to be introduced pretty bluntly.

Overall, I feel like this had essentially been Episode 4 and 5 mashed up into one, but in a good sense. Frankly, 4 just seemed to rush to the happy ending after the climax, and 5 had been a blatantly unresolved cliffhanger, but 7 hit the plot points of both and tied up the main obstacles it presented pretty nicely, leaving 8 to expand upon it rather than just clean things up. You could argue the bad guy is still around, everyone's identity is still pretty unexplored, and it's progressively more acceptable for Jedi to kill people. But the main objective everyone had is to find Luke, and the Dark Side developed a planet-size Death...Planet to terrorize the galaxy into cooperation. They not only destroyed that, but crippled Kylo in the process, and to my surprise, did end up finding Luke (through a puzzle piece nobody could identify???).

Okay, so that's the biggest problem this episode had, right? I'm sure Neil Degrasse-Tyson got really annoyed to hear they have a map of a small part of the galaxy, and can't identify it because it only has 2 or 3 dozen planets on it. Then suddenly, R2D2 boots up and is like "Oh hey guys I had the rest of the map the entire time!" Thanks, buddy! I can understand if it's a piece of an encryption, but a puzzle piece graphically displaying a map is probably super easy to decipher.

Enjoy tearing my opinions to shreds, nerds!

Baltes
12-23-2015, 07:04 AM
When the credits rolled I said "EAT SHIT, GEORGE LUCAS"
it was fantastic, I couldn't have asked for a better film.
I loved the story, It feels almost like a new A New Hope.

I said almost the same thing as you regarding the map.

MSico
12-23-2015, 11:07 AM
The map piece was terrifically silly but I am beyond willing to forgive it because there wasn't a single scene that could have been considered a senate hearing.

Muzy72
12-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Seriously fantastic movie. Saw it on Thursday and Saturday last week, and planning to see it again tomorrow.

I guess the only "problem" I had with the movie was Death Star 3 did nothing for me, but everything else was amazing. Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 are pretty great, and yay for female Jedi!

caramelslice
01-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Really enjoyed it. Some of my co-workers mentioned how it felt too much like A New Hope, and that was probably one of their only issues. But I felt that that was probably the intention. It was like a familiar yet new journey for old time fans - like having one last ride before passing the torch on to the new characters. I'm excited to see where their adventure takes them.