PDA

View Full Version : Overwatch

rudy06
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
For those of you who don't know, Overwatch is a team based FPS (think of TF2) made by Blizzard that releases tomorrow. For those of you who know what it is (or now know), who is getting Overwatch? I played the open beta and really enjoyed it a ton! I mostly played the the Assault game mode, but loved the variety in the characters.

jdtwins2009
05-23-2016, 03:16 PM
I'll probably be getting it, just not for a couple months.
What are you getting it on Rudy?

untuxable
05-23-2016, 03:50 PM
I am SUPER excited for Overwatch. Word is on the streets (and by streets, I mean probably reddit or something) that the servers go live at 7pm EST tonight for those who have already received their copies of the game. Blizzard made an extra effort to get the games in on time by releasing the discs a day early (23rd, today) and then bringing the servers up later. I ordered mine late on Saturday, so I'm not expecting it come in until sometime tomorrow.

As far as the game itself goes, I did get to play the open beta and it was AWESOME. I think it's the most team-centric 'team based FPS' I've ever seen. All of the character combo well with certain other character types, and a lot of skills from different characters combo well together: e.g. Reinhardt's ultimate which stuns groups + Reaper's ultimate which deals tons of short range damage. I was running through the beta with a group of friends, and we were kicking butt and taking names by calling out enemy locations, planning double skill uses, and ensuring that we had a team of balanced characters.

As for me, I tend to stick to sniper-types, so I naturally gravitated towards Widowmaker and Hanzo. However, I was surprised to learn that I really like playing Lucio too, a support character. I think I'll stick with those as my main 3. A couple of backups include Symmetra, which was surprising as well, and Junkrat, based on the fact that I use Demoman in TF2 and they are very similar.

I'll be getting in on Xbox 1. If anyone would like to add me and play, my GT is 'Untuxable.' And who knows, you may see some Overwatch community multiplayer days coming soon......

rudy06
05-23-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm a little on the fence as this is the type of game that is much more fun when played with friends, as Untuxable touched on. It is one of those if I can't play with friends, it loses a lot of the appeal, but I must admit I've really enjoyed people streaming it on twitch. If I get it, it will definitely be for the PC.

I really enjoyed Symmetra. She was great on defense and could be invaluable as an attacker just because of the teleporter. I also enjoyed Hanzo a lot, but he needs some support to really function.

ZebraGoomba
05-23-2016, 11:13 PM
I'm definitely getting Overwatch somewhere down the line. Can't at the moment, but I'm not worried because I'm sure it'll have a really long lifespan. My friends showed it to me one day and it looked cool, and then I got to play it at PAX East and it was a lot of fun. Hope everyone that has it now is enjoying it.

jdtwins2009
05-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Yeah I'll be getting it on my PC as well, only other option would be on my PS4 which ehhh.

rudy06
05-25-2016, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I haven't been able to play a shooter on a console for quite awhile. It just doesn't feel right.

TheSpeedGamers
05-27-2016, 03:26 PM
I caved and got overwatch. I'm having a lot of fun with it. My favorite character to play right now is D.va . Add me on battle net! brittain#1611

rudy06
05-27-2016, 03:34 PM
I caved today too actually. One of my coworkers was pressuring me to get it. I'll update with my username when I get home.

--Update:
Roughnight#1210

AnythingButAwesome
05-29-2016, 01:23 AM
I got pressured into getting the game as well and am loving it. The team and character based gameplay focus make it seem pretty fresh compared to other shooters I've played recently.

As far as what characters I've been playing, McCree is probably my most played character. His stun combined with his high damage are crazy. He also seems kind of hard for the other team to counter easily. When I'm not playing him I usually play Lucio, D.va, Roadhog, or Hanzo.

Speaking of Lucio, since a few of you play him, I just realized his sonic blast does damage as well as knockback. It isn't much, only 25 damage, but you can do a sound blast simultaneously with normal fire and the cooldown is low. When I first started playing Lucio I didn't use it at all, but I've been finding more and more uses for it, like how if you knock back Reaper with it he can't really get close enough to kill you faster than you heal.

rudy06
05-29-2016, 06:21 AM
Yeah, Lucio's knockback is I think the key piece in what makes him good. Great for a quick clear of Symmetra turrets, knocking a player off the map, or even out of the capture zone. I played him for the first time the other night and adding in his passive healing, it is hard to have a bad Lucio.

TheSpeedGamers
05-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Yeah, Lucio's knockback is I think the key piece in what makes him good. Great for a quick clear of Symmetra turrets, knocking a player off the map, or even out of the capture zone. I played him for the first time the other night and adding in his passive healing, it is hard to have a bad Lucio.

I just started playing Lucio last night and I agree he's awesome! My favorite of the supports closely followed by Mercy. Also, had fun grouping with you on Friday, we should do it again soon!

AnythingButAwesome
05-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Yeah I'm having fun figuring out how to use Lucio's sonic blast and wall skating abilities more effectively.

How many supports do you think you can have on one team and still be effective? I've found 2 very good but I haven't played with a group large enough to coordinate more than that. Coordinating ultimate abilities on the supports could keep your team alive for a very long period of time under heavy fire to push objectives. There are so many ideas like this I'd like to mess around with.

jdtwins2009
05-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Everyone was getting it....so I got it to be a cool kid too <.<

jdtwins#1121 is my Battle.net

untuxable
06-04-2016, 03:03 PM
My 'mains' are constantly changing the more I try more characters. When I play with my friends, I typically stick to my mainstays: Hanzo, Lucio, Zarya, or whatever is needed to balance out the team. But I tried some matches with randoms the other day to try out some other characters, and found that I REALLY like Winston. The cooldown on his Jump ability is so short that he can hop in, clear a room, and the immediately hop out with very little risk. I've been messing around with McCree too, but haven't gotten him down as easily. He's a bit too squishy for my taste, but it's true that his damage output is ridiculous in close quarters.

As for team compositions, my friends and I have been playing around with some. We usually just play who we want and make sure it's balanced, but we've occasionally come up with some stupid-yet-effective combinations. On one game of Payload (Route 66), we ended up riding the payload itself with 2 Reinhardts swapping shields, 2 turrett Bastions hiding behind pelting anyone we saw, a Lucio sitting in the center healing everyone, and a Widowmaker at long range to spot/take down anyone sneaking up from behind. We managed to ride the payload 3/4 of the way to the goal with no deaths.

Also, 6 Lucios is a bad idea.

caramelslice
06-07-2016, 12:33 PM
As far as supports go, I'm really digging Zenyatta. Statistically, my 'mains' are Mei, Mercy, and Tracer. Though for Mercy she was my usual pick in the beginning because not a lot of people seemed to want to fill support, and she seemed the easiest one to pick up.

Been getting into D.Va and Junkrat recently as well. McCree's also fun, though I hear he'll be getting nerfed. Flashbang + Fan the hammer is something a lot of people seem to have a problem with.

CommentatorGuy
06-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Been getting into D.Va and Junkrat recently as well
Junkrat is my boiiiiii

We should have a TSG Overwatch in house night or something

jdtwins2009
06-07-2016, 04:07 PM
That would be fun!

rudy06
06-07-2016, 07:19 PM
I know Untuxable was throwing the idea around of a Overwatch Community Night. I think it would be a blast.

TheSpeedGamers
06-07-2016, 09:47 PM
I know Untuxable was throwing the idea around of a Overwatch Community Night. I think it would be a blast.

I'm all for this!

Ruju
06-09-2016, 06:00 PM

I would be so down!

Mai is my favorite

untuxable
06-09-2016, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I've been tossing the idea around for a while. Had a decently uninterrupted Overwatch stream on my channel a couple of weeks ago, so it seems like I could probably stream it just fine. I had an idea to split up the Community Night into 2 parts: part 1 is I stream it on XB1 and anyone who wants to can join. Part 2 is somebody else streams the PC version so anyone on either platform can jump in.

Baltes
06-10-2016, 08:07 PM
I'll probably buy Overwatch when I get off work in the korning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caramelslice
06-16-2016, 05:03 PM
So the McCree and Widowmaker nerfs were implemented on PC recently. Console nerfs will happen later. Any PC players who like to play either of the two notice any big differences?

I've been cycling through characters as I'm still trying to get a feel for all of them. The past week I've been playing a lot of Zarya and Symmetra. I love playing Symmetra on defense.

Statistically my top three as of late are Zenyatta, Tracer, and Zarya.

AnythingButAwesome
06-23-2016, 11:30 AM
I liked McCree's nerf but he isn't really balanced anymore. Before the nerf, McCree was more annoying to play against than he was actually helping win games. Now he is even worse at winning games and has the lowest winrate on PC by far. I think they could buff things about him besides his fan the hammer and flashbang.

xxxtentacion
06-27-2016, 05:05 PM
The thing about McCree is that if you played him a lot prior, and are good at aiming and landing shots with his pistol (without flashbang), then you're still a potent threat. The problem was that before, people were relying and flashbang and fan the hammer, while barely using his pistol (this is what caused him to drop so hard with win rate at post-nerf). I've still seen savage McCree's who have incredibly accuracy with the pistol and they can mow people down that way. I wish things could just be balanced :lol:

caramelslice
06-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Looks like consoles will be getting Torbjorn nerfs. 30% damage reduction on his turrets.

Fluffyapple
07-04-2016, 10:43 AM
I bought OW not so long a go. It is fantastic and probably the most fun I've had with a online FPS game in a long time.

Is the game unbalanced or am I scrub that needs to get good??

TheSpeedGamers
07-12-2016, 03:01 PM
New hero coming in Overwatch! A sniper/healer "Ana" https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/ This combo has been rumored for awhile and I can't wait to try it out :)

Also, D.VA (the best character in the game) got huge buffs! https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20178523

D.Va

Defense Matrix
Cooldown decreased from 10 seconds to 1 second
A new resource meter has been added. This meter will deplete while Defense Matrix is active and then recharge when it’s not in use.
Defense Matrix takes 10 seconds to reach full charge from empty
At a full charge, Defense Matrix will last for 4 seconds
Defense Matrix will now remain active as long as its assigned hotkey is held
Defense Matrix has been reclassified as an alternate fire and is now bound to RMB (by default)
An option to “Toggle Defense Matrix” has been added under Options > Controls > D.Va
Self-Destruct
Ultimate cost decreased by 15%
Explosion delay reduced from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
Explosion no longer damages D.Va (the player who activates it)

caramelslice
07-12-2016, 07:29 PM
I bought OW not so long a go. It is fantastic and probably the most fun I've had with a online FPS game in a long time.

Is the game unbalanced or am I scrub that needs to get good??
The game will definitely go through a lot of balancing updates. I'd say there are characters that are easier to pick up compared to others. But just put some time in with character you do have trouble playing, and you'll get the hang of it.

New hero coming in Overwatch! A sniper/healer "Ana" https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/ This combo has been rumored for awhile and I can't wait to try it out :)

Also, D.VA (the best character in the game) got huge buffs! https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20178523

D.Va

Defense Matrix
Cooldown decreased from 10 seconds to 1 second
A new resource meter has been added. This meter will deplete while Defense Matrix is active and then recharge when it’s not in use.
Defense Matrix takes 10 seconds to reach full charge from empty
At a full charge, Defense Matrix will last for 4 seconds
Defense Matrix will now remain active as long as its assigned hotkey is held
Defense Matrix has been reclassified as an alternate fire and is now bound to RMB (by default)
An option to “Toggle Defense Matrix” has been added under Options > Controls > D.Va
Self-Destruct
Ultimate cost decreased by 15%
Explosion delay reduced from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
Explosion no longer damages D.Va (the player who activates it)
Ana Amari looks fantastic. I think she might beat Zenyatta as favorite support for me. Her kit sounds amazing - a grenade that can either heal your allies or prevent enemies from healing? Her sleep dart that's basically like McCree's flashbang but with a much longer range? Massive buff ult on one party member?

Only thing is if you want her actual heals going, you have to be able to aim xD

Also sounds like Zenyatta's getting some buffs as well?

jdtwins2009
07-26-2016, 08:23 PM
How's the new character in everyone's opinions?
I haven't tried her out yet but I've played a few with her on my team.

I should really try out more characters, I only play Soldier, Reindhart, Widowmaker, and Tracer haha.

rudy06
07-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Finally starting to get back into my normal schedule, so may actually find some time on lunch to get in a play some. Haven't even been able to see Ana in action yet.

Fluffyapple
07-30-2016, 12:49 AM
At the moment, D.va is extremely annoying let alone two.

BattleDuk
08-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Any of y'all wanting to play Overwatch on PS4 or PC, hit me up on PS4 as KingMallard or PC as BattleShaggy (#1793 on b.net)!