PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Unleashed and Sonic & The Black Knight!!

Sonic62
10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
TGS Trailer, can't wait!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMemZgkPEZ8

zach2m1
10-09-2008, 05:21 PM
It is so hard to tell if a new Sonic game is gona be good though so no comments from me yet......

Sonic62
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
It is so hard to tell if a new Sonic game is gona be good though so no comments from me yet......
Did you not see the same trailer I did? :shock:

MSico
10-09-2008, 08:50 PM

I saw a trailer, but almost no gameplay...

kmmgreen5
10-09-2008, 10:33 PM

I saw a trailer, but almost no gameplay...

wat if that whole thing is the gameplay :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: _dead_

MSico
10-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I think the problem is Sonic Team has come up with a lot of crazy crossover ideas that WOULD be visually interesting, but instead of developing the story into a DVD movie or something, they try to build a game around it. Wouldn't it be badass if there was a line of Sonic movies about him being a knight or a werewolf? And then a continuing series of games with the old gameplay we know and love from the Genesis era?

KaidanXain
10-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I think the problem is Sonic Team has come up with a lot of crazy crossover ideas that WOULD be visually interesting, but instead of developing the story into a DVD movie or something, they try to build a game around it. Wouldn't it be badass if there was a line of Sonic movies about him being a knight or a werewolf? And then a continuing series of games with the old gameplay we know and love from the Genesis era?

I'm KaidanXain and I approve this message.

Anatotitan
10-10-2008, 02:19 PM

My biggest gripe with the Sonic series is that the team seems infinitely more interested in writing their own ill-conceived fanfiction than developing a unique style of gameplay. Compare, say, Mario Galaxy to Sonic 360; the former sticks to the same simple "rescue Peach" story and concentrates on surreal level design and fun challenges, and the latter is essentially Sonic Adventure (which in turn is essentially "Mario 64 with screwy controls") with an expansive, but very poorly-written story.

Sega needs to do (at least) one of two things if they want to properly revive the series; they can either come up with some amazing, unique gameplay that'll addict the crowd for hours, OR they can make the Sonic universe so entertaining that that alone will be worth the price of admission.

You bring up an interesting idea with the concept of a separate movie franchise, but frankly I don't think the team has it in them to pull it off. Until someone comes along and properly relaunches the game's universe, the Sonic story will remain laughable. Sonic is not a compelling character because "he's fast and doesn't follow the rules and smirks a lot and whenever he's not around everyone asks WHERE'S POOCHY?" is too one-dimensional to sustain any complex story. Furthermore, the series' insistance that everyone take it completely seriously does it no favors; Shadow's angsty gunfights come off as silly, Princess "I-Knew-I-Shoulda-Taken-That-Left-Turn-At-Final-Fantasy" Elise and all the other semi-realistic humans don't belong next to the ultra-stylized talking animals, and Rouge is the most punchable game character of all time. Sonic wouldn't really have much to do in a film beyond running around and giving smarmy one-liners. On the other hand, that's usually all a movie audience wants...

I say all this as someone who played Sonic 1, 2, 3 and CD a million billion times as a kid. I really wish Sonic Team would just start over with a clean slate and make something both fun and interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

YES I JUST BABBLED ABOUT THE UNIVERSE OF A TALKING BLUE HEDGEHOG. WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

MSico
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

Oh, I want to fight about everything. *puts up fists* :P

Gwellin
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

Little does Anatotitan know Phil fights with hats on his fists: http://thumbs.freewebs.com/Members/viewThumb.jsp?fileID=52622448&size=thumb

Diana3
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

Little does Anatotitan know Phil fights with hats on his fists: http://thumbs.freewebs.com/Members/viewThumb.jsp?fileID=52622448&size=thumb

epic win!

MSico
10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I fight dirty... so what? Want to fight about it?

Sonic62
10-11-2008, 12:34 AM
If the Sonic hate-a-thon is done, here's some Wii gameplay footage of Sonic Unleashed. :D
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14242720 ... 00908.html (http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14242720/sonic-unleashed/videos/tgs_off_sonicunleashed_wii_01_100908.html)

GoSmitty
10-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Sonic games aren't really my thing, but the game looks pretty fun. I doubt I'll buy it, but I might rent it.

Sonic62
10-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Latest trailer, looking good methinks: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1424 ... 02408.html (http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14242719/sonic-unleashed/videos/su_Adabat360Trailer_102408.html)

Kurono
10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I've been following the game a little. Looks like it tries to go back to the roots a bit where speed is everything, but have some little Sonic Adventure type areas. I'm excited for it since I haven't played a sonic game since Adventure II.

When does it come out?

Sonic62
10-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I've been following the game a little. Looks like it tries to go back to the roots a bit where speed is everything, but have some little Sonic Adventure type areas. I'm excited for it since I haven't played a sonic game since Adventure II.

When does it come out?

11/14/08: Europe
11/18/08: North America
11/27/08: Australia
12/18/08: Japan

Kurono
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Hmm, a bit too soon.

*puts on x-mas list*

zach2m1
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
I saw some game play for Sonic Unleashed it looks good but the warehog thing is stupid

Sonic62
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I saw some game play for Sonic Unleashed it looks good but the warehog thing is stupid
So I take it you dislike Twilight Princess then? _dead_

Crinkz
10-30-2008, 05:01 PM
There are werehogs in TP?! Where?!

Gwellin
10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
There are werehogs in TP?! Where?!
He means how Link changed in to a wolf.

MSico
10-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I hear in the next Mario game Mario turns into a wereplumber. NO JOKE :o _ninja_

stapletaters
11-02-2008, 12:54 PM
while i doubt that these games will revive the once glorious series, i am still hopeful that they will one day...

zach2m1
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I liked Twilight but I dont like the fact of beat emm up in a sonic game though

Aeronautical
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Is Sonic Unleashed out yet?

dryuriev7777
11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I believe it comes out at the end of November if I'm not mistaken

Sonic62
11-03-2008, 01:46 AM
:lol: Just scroll up a bit and you will see I have posted all the dates.

WiiFanBoy
11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
SONIC FOR THE WIN _dead_

Aeronautical
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
:lol: Just scroll up a bit and you will see I have posted all the dates.
Kay! Thanks, I didn't notice that ><

HaHaBoom92
11-07-2008, 12:28 AM
These games could be awesome, IF they had more time put into their production. We hear about these games 6 months ago and its already out? I don't really care if they release it in 2010 I just want a good Sonic game, is that too much to ask?

Sonic62
11-07-2008, 12:54 AM
These games could be awesome, IF they had more time put into their production. We hear about these games 6 months ago and its already out? I don't really care if they release it in 2010 I just want a good Sonic game, is that too much to ask?
Except that it's been in production for 3 years...

Gwellin
11-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I just watched another video of Sonic Unleashed, and it might be the first Sonic game I ever pickup. I have to hear that it's good though, before I will.

Sonic62, if you, as someone who has played virtually every Sonic game, say that this is a good game then I'll probably get it. I never had any appreciation for the series until I saw you play through most of it this past week; my curiosity is peaked now.

It's up to you - my future is on your shoulders. No pressure. :lol:

Sonic62
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I-I'm shocked. There are very few Sonic games I haven't played. From what I've seen so far, I feel it should be a blast to play, you know the most important part of gaming that some people quickly forget, fun! You'll have to wait for my personal verdict though, as the game is on my Christmas list. :D

Gwellin
11-29-2008, 01:21 PM
GameTrailers just released their video review of the Wii Sonic Unleashed: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43199.html

I'm not too excited anymore. The Sonic portions look fun, but Werehog look boring.

zach2m1
11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I knew the Sonic parts were going to be good but I also knew the warehog stages were going be repetitive with button mashing. I hope they make a game just like this except just keep the Sonic stages. Oh well going to be a rent for me

Sonic62
12-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Sonic Unleashed: I'll wait and play the game myself. After all, reviewers said I'd dislike Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, etc. and that didn't happen. 8-)

Sonic & The Black Knight: New pictures! Some including Knuckles in armor. Looks amazing methinks! http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14268379/imgs_1.html

zach2m1
12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Sonic Unleashed: I'll wait and play the game myself. After all, reviewers said I'd dislike Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, etc. and that didn't happen. 8-)

Sonic & The Black Knight: New pictures! Some including Knuckles in armor. Looks amazing methinks! http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14268379/imgs_1.html

Looks good it actually looks like the sonic stages from unleashed if it is then that is AWESOME!

bobo_dude16
12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
gwellin, if you trust sonic with your life, you lose.... if you have 3 more, its ok though :D :lol:

Sonic62
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
gwellin, if you trust sonic with your life, you lose.... if you have 3 more, its ok though :D :lol:
If you can't trust me, you can't trust anyone. True story!

bobo_dude16
12-13-2008, 05:52 PM
If you can't trust me, you can't trust anyone. True story!
you can trust nationwide their on your side :D

the1stpkmnfan
12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
The Unleashed game is ok, but It's kinda borning but epic. The Black Night, I hope is better. These 2 games are probably gonna crash Sonic to the bottom of the rating chart. But I could be wrong since Ive bene hearing Unleashed had been getting sold out in most stores.

Tanexion
12-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree with the1stpkmnfan (btw, it's good to see that at least one other person besides me still watches the pokemon anime lol)
It's so fun to play!!! but yea a little boring, but so good! I actually half enjoyed the werehog stages though. They aren't as bad as everyone makes them sound. I will say, I didn't finish any of them in under 30 minutes though :|
I watched gameplay of the Wii version, and the PS3 version is very different in terms of hub world play..not sure about the other versions.
oh and the soundtrack. Very different from past sonic games but in a good way :D

Hikarusa
12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Sonic Unleashed is pretty freaking awesome. Wii version final boss is in most ways more awesome than the 360 final boss. The werehog levels aren't exactly the greatest, but I've never really been the biggest fan of beat 'em ups. I'd recommend for people to get it.

Pokemon fan, Sonic's been at the bottom of the chart. All these games can really do is help him.

Sonic62
12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Pokemon fan, Sonic's been at the bottom of the chart. All these games can really do is help him.
In some people's opinions. I haven't played Sonic '06, but I loved the other recent games, so... Sonic's no where near the "bottom of the chart".

Sonic62
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Time to bring this back, because Sonic and the Black Knight comes out tomorrow! (March 3rd) I'm going to try getting it, but I don't have very good luck getting Sonic games on release dates...

the1stpkmnfan
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Im definitely gonna get it, because it's already arriving! :D As soon as I get it, and get some homework finished, Ill play it. Though, my Homework is like Garbage, so Ill have to do that first, and play it Wednesday. Wait, there's your stream, then. I guess that leaves Thursday. Hopefully, nothing goes on for me that day. If I do, I bet anyway, Friday night is gonna have to do.

Man, I get the game on the release day, but I can't play it till Friday Night. Man...:(

zach2m1
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I am praying that this is the game where Sonic redeems himself in 3D. I really hope this is what Nintendo needs to do to make another great 3D Sonic game. I am most likely going to rent it like I did with unleashed but if I hear great things about this game it is going to be a buy.

MSico
03-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm pumped for it! :D :D :D

Sonic62
03-03-2009, 01:29 AM
One of many awesome trailers.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14268379 ... 21809.html (http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14268379/sonic-the-black-knight-/videos/SBK_PercivalTrailer_021809.html)

the1stpkmnfan
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Im just about to go get the game. I hope it's gonna be a good game to play. Though, it's gonna be till Friday Night to play it. Since I got stupid school stuff, and I have to go watch Sonic's stream this week and the following. Can't wait to play. :D

Sonic62
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
It got a 3.9 at IGN. :cry:

the1stpkmnfan
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I was going to go get it, but tonight was for shipping, ugh, forgot about that. Now, Im getting it tomorrow. And Ill see how it is.

^ Mean IGN. :(

Sonic62
03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I got it today, I'm loving it so far. Some cut scenes are really funny. I'm a Loyal Page so far.

zach2m1
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Cool tell me all about the game after! I really want to get this one :D

therocketknight
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
i really liked both theese games not to much Black knight but Sonic Unleashed was cool

the1stpkmnfan
03-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I played and Finished the Black Knight all in under 5 hours. The adventure WAS in fact short, [spoiler:ad6g357s]and the ending didnt feel epic. Yeah, he defeats King Arthur, but what about what happens next? Pity...[/spoiler:ad6g357s]

Gwellin
03-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, he defeats King Arthur, but what about what happens next? Pity...
Oh, thanks, ruin the ending for me why don't you. I was planning on playing that sometime in the not to distant never.

Mezix
03-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, he defeats King Arthur, but what about what happens next? Pity...
Oh, thanks, ruin the ending for me why don't you. I was planning on playing that sometime in the not to distant never.
Now that you've heard the spoilers, watch the walkthrough on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Cyberman65&view=videos

the1stpkmnfan
03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
oops...Sorry Gwellin :( I got all angry, I forgot about yall...

WiiFanBoy
03-07-2009, 10:53 PM
so i wonder what will be the next sonic story book series
i can see it now Sonic and the bible

MSico
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM
ROFL

Sonic and the ark of the covenant

Cross-Warrior
03-08-2009, 02:12 AM
so i wonder what will be the next sonic story book series
i can see it now Sonic and the bible

ROFL

Sonic and the ark of the covenant

If this were to happen, i would stop playing all Sonic games.

Sonic62
03-08-2009, 02:29 AM
What do you propose comes next then? ;)

killerwombat
03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I am going to try the black night, but I watched the ending on youtube, and it was very disappointing. I have also seen some gameplay portions of the game though, and they look amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9gnLFKv ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9gnLFKvo3E&feature=channel_page) My friends brother is even more obsessed with sonic than you sonic62, and even he was dissappointed. Let me put it this way, he has a cardboard cutout stand for a sonic game in his room, like the ones they put in the front of gamestops- he has a sonic problem.

Anyway, what is your verdict on sonic unleashed and the black night? I for one loved the sonic parts, but the werehog parts were pretty dissapointing to me. I am definitly going to try sonic and the black night once I get around to getting it, and I have high hopes for it.

Kilgard
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Hasn't even happened yet and I stopped after Sonic CD ;)

Sonic62
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Hasn't even happened yet and I stopped after Sonic CD ;)
That's a really bad thing.

zach2m1
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Yea I would have to agree the first two 3D Sonic games were AMAZING. If you haven't played Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 then you missed out on A LOT. Also one can not forget the amazing Sonic Advance handheld series for the GBA. :D

the1stpkmnfan
03-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Im going to take a break from playin Black Knight till, SB. Im then probably going to see how I can unlock the remaining characters in the Battle games.

Cross-Warrior
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
You know, the hard part about being at college without a wii is i dont get to play any of these cool sonic games. i still havent beat unleashed, and i kind of want black knight (havent heard much about it, but still want it)

*sigh* maybe i can convince my parents to let me take the wii back after spring break? i dont know how much i would play, but...

the1stpkmnfan
03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Stay strong, Cross, and never give up. Black Knight, and Unleashed are good games. And at least for the graphics.

Youll love it.