PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid

MartyTurco
03-27-2009, 06:36 AM
omg i cant wait for the MGS marathone..i love the 4th one even though i havnt play 1-3 so after i watch the first 3 ill finnaly uinderstand the story lol
and i cant wait for the WEEK LONG final fantasy marathon WHOO HOO :D :D :D :D

MSico
03-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Just to clarify, it's a Metal Gear marathon... we'll be doing more than just the 4 Solid games. :)

Kilgard
03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Metal Gear and Final Fantasy back to back, two of my favorite movies >.>

Slowflake
03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Speaking of which, Metal Gear 2 came out only on MSX, right? Are you going to do it somehow?

As a side note, it astounds me that so many people consider MGS1 to be the first game in the series. Especially since it refers to events from the first two games a lot.

B-Spark
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Just to clarify, it's a Metal Gear marathon... we'll be doing more than just the 4 Solid games. :)

Does that mean that you'll be playing the Acid's, Portable Ops and Ghost Babel (GBC) as well?

Slowflake
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna speculate that it depends on the length of the five games (MG1, MGS1-4) that are actually a guarantee to be in it, whether MG2 will be there or not, and so on. Or maybe they're going to pad any remaining time after the planned games are done with them?

Boo_24_7
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Can't you play MG2 on like MGS3 Substance(or whatever, not big on MG series) game thing? Or one of those I think. One of my subscribers on youtube was playing it with that game.

Slowflake
03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, did some research and the first two games can be played on Subsistence. That means we're highly likely to see MG2 and the POISONOUS ZANZIBAR HAMSTERS.

RobZombie
03-27-2009, 09:38 PM
As a side note, it astounds me that so many people consider MGS1 to be the first game in the series. Especially since it refers to events from the first two games a lot.

Well it is the first game in the Metal Gear Solid Series and for me that is really when the series starts because that was when Hideo Kojima became involved added so much to the series lets face it HE MADE THE SERIES, the games before that act more like a preface to the epic series that is Metal Gear Solid

Slowflake
03-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Um... wasn't Kojima involved in the first two as well? How else do you explain the crackpot script MG2 had?

fredy31
03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Movies?!? Aren't they games?

Gwellin
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Joke. Games with a ridiculous amount of cinematics.

zach2m1
03-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Joke. Games with a ridiculous amount of cinematics.
I have to agree there is a bunch of cinematics but in my opinion that is what I think make the games are the in dept story and plot that is one of the main reasons why I love the series so much

fredy31
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I have to agree there is a bunch of cinematics but in my opinion that is what I think make the games are the in dept story and plot that is one of the main reasons why I love the series so much
I've never played a MG game before but I've heard that the plot line is so twisted it's incredible.

Slowflake
03-28-2009, 03:00 PM
That's Kojima's legacy... a story so outrageous and with so many twists that even with six games to try and explain it, it's hard to follow. In fact, it often overshadows the gameplay as the trademark of the Metal Gear series, for better or for worse. Personally, I tend to stay away from games that put something else over gameplay, which explains why I'm not terribly fond of Metal Gear.

StopDropAndBear
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I've only played one Metal Gear game, but the story became so ridiculously convoluted that I was forced to just ignore it entirely. Which left me with a lot stealth gameplay (which I am no good at), bizarre and at times grating voice acting, and lots of "um, what?" moments, such as "why is the president grabbing my crotch" and "why does this game have a vampire".

Slowflake
03-28-2009, 04:03 PM
MGS2, right? Indeed, you either love it to death or rank it alongside E.T., Superman 64 and Wand of Gamelon. There are no in-betweens.

fredy31
03-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Story is a good thing... but not too much.
Gameplay is a good thing too... but not too much

The games must kind of keep a balance between all aspects to be good.

Boo_24_7
03-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I've played like five minutes of a Metal Gear game and sucked horribly at it so I never touched it again.

Slowflake
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Story is a good thing... but not too much.
Gameplay is a good thing too... but not too much

The games must kind of keep a balance between all aspects to be good.

Super Mario Bros. 3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Super Mario 64. Metroid Prime. All timeless classics from different eras with next to zero story. Just hours upon hours of hooking gameplay. When there IS a story, it should be there to serve the gameplay, not the reverse. Final Fantasy and Zelda are great examples of that being pulled off. When that envelope is pushed, you get games that can't decide whether they're games or movies, and that's when the overall product begins to suffer. My point? There is no such thing as too much gameplay, but there is such a thing as too much story.

fredy31
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
What I wanted to say is that there is like an average to keep in the elements. A little more of one makes that you must push the others at this point.

B-Spark
03-28-2009, 09:09 PM
MGS2, right? Indeed, you either love it to death or rank it alongside E.T., Superman 64 and Wand of Gamelon. There are no in-betweens.

I don't consider the second to be THAT bad, but I liked it the least of the MGS series (excluding 4, since I haven't played it yet...)

I've played like five minutes of a Metal Gear game and sucked horribly at it so I never touched it again.

I always thought the beginning of those games to be the hardest part, since you had basically nothing, but to becomeeasier with time, when you started to carry an army's arsenal :D

Also, personally I never had any problems following the storyline of those games. Maybe that's just because I never put too much thought behind the unrealistic parts (like "how can Vamp survive a bullet to the forehead?")

...or because I watched GT's Retrospective after I beat the first one :D

fredy31
03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Yep that helps much to understand the story.

killerwombat
03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I have never played a metal gear game, but always wanted too. I was thinking about getting the newest one, but before it came out I realized that it was a ps3 exclusive, which I dont have. Anyway, I am of course going to look forward to the marathon.

Slowflake
03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually, Metal Gear's one of those series where I wouldn't recommend starting with the latest game, just because of the ridiculous story. The one I'd recommend starting with, for that reason, is MGS3 Subsistence. It comes with the two originals on NES/MSX, and MGS3 itself is a prequel to the rest of the series.

MartyTurco
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
That's Kojima's legacy... a story so outrageous and with so many twists that even with six games to try and explain it, it's hard to follow. In fact, it often overshadows the gameplay as the trademark of the Metal Gear series, for better or for worse. Personally, I tend to stay away from games that put something else over gameplay, which explains why I'm not terribly fond of Metal Gear.

thats one reason why im soo exited for the marathin..i have only played 4 and im confused..SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
im right after the part were i deafet raging raven
and i thought there were only 1-4 what are the others

TheSpeedGamers
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Um... wasn't Kojima involved in the first two as well? How else do you explain the crackpot script MG2 had?

Ya, Kojima was involved in them all. I just watched a retrospective on him :D

Kilgard
03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
why does this game have a vampire

this question is answered in MGS4 :P stop ignoring the story >.>

Slowflake
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Actually, there's only 1 and 2, then Solid 1 through 4. Plus a bunch of spinoffs.

MartyTurco
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Actually, there's only 1 and 2, then Solid 1 through 4. Plus a bunch of spinoffs.

so there was a 1 and 2 then tthey made another 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
ill just wait for the marathon unless you can explain it
tell me the titles

fredy31
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4

MartyTurco
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4

so does the story stay the same from metal gear 2 to metal gears olid 1

fredy31
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
IDK... I just know the games in order but I don't know if the story of the 2 first Metal Gear is the same as the story of the 4 others.

B-Spark
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
IDK... I just know the games in order but I don't know if the story of the 2 first Metal Gear is the same as the story of the 4 others.

The first two are kinda involved in the Solid storyline (especially the MGS has a lot of references to MG2, and MG2 is the game originally introducing Gray Fox (iirc)), but overall the 4 Solid parts seem to be more connected to one another than to the first two.

Also, I think the timeline of MG is something like
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

E: Also the whole Outer Heaven-thing that Big Boss was up to was in the first MG's as well (How did I forget this?)

Slowflake
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Wasn't Fox in MG1 as well?

Anyway, while the Solid games could've been called Metal Gear 3 through 6 as far as the story is concerned (that means yes, it IS the same story), there are a few inconsistencies.

[spoiler:1tudp99e]At the end of Metal Gear 2, Big Boss is burned alive by Snake, yet in MGS Big Boss' remains are mentioned. Yeah, because extracting DNA from a pile of ashes works SO well.[/spoiler:1tudp99e]

Brav
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Wasn't Fox in MG1 as well?

Anyway, while the Solid games could've been called Metal Gear 3 through 6 as far as the story is concerned (that means yes, it IS the same story), there are a few inconsistencies.

[spoiler:3bx4olpu]At the end of Metal Gear 2, Big Boss is burned alive by Snake, yet in MGS Big Boss' remains are mentioned. Yeah, because extracting DNA from a pile of ashes works SO well.[/spoiler:3bx4olpu]

[spoiler:3bx4olpu]Wasn't it that at the end of Metal Gear Solid it is revealed that it was just a training program?[/spoiler:3bx4olpu]

MartyTurco
03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
ok thanx

fettouhi
03-30-2009, 10:27 PM
if you wanna know some detail about the story go watch this

link (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html)

Slowflake
04-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh, NOW I understand what a previous poster said about the first two games not being by Kojima, before I said that they were. MG1 (MSX) and MG2 WERE by Kojima, and thus official canon, while MG1 (NES) and Snake's Revenge weren't. Makes sense now... which makes me assume MG1 will be played via Subsistence, since it's the MSX version. Same for MG2, and I imagine Snake's Revenge will either be passed over entirely, or possibly be included as an extra at the end. That is, if someone on the team even owns the thing to begin with.