PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Monsters vs. Aliens

Rare Addict
03-27-2009, 08:52 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/MVAPoster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

"On her wedding day, Susan Murphy (Reese Witherspoon) is hit by a meteorite infused with Quantonium, a rare and powerful element that causes her to grow to an enormous size. Targeted by the government as a monster, Susan is captured and imprisoned at a secret facility where other such oddities are being held, including Dr. Cockroach (Hugh Laurie), a mad scientist who accidentally transformed himself into a roach-human hybrid, B.O.B. (Seth Rogen), a gelatinous, brainless mass brought to life in an experiment gone wrong, The Missing Link (Will Arnett), a Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-like lizard man, and the skyscraper-sized mutant larvae Insectosaurus. When deranged alien overlord Gallaxhar (Rainn Wilson) arrives on Earth to obtain the precious Quantonium and conquer the world, President Hathaway (Stephen Colbert) offers the monsters their freedom in exchange for defeating the evil mastermind and his legion of robots and clones."

Let's get this out of the way first: I'm not a huge fan of DreamWorks Animation. Usually consisting of nothing more than unfunny pop culture gags, I think the majority of their films are mediocre at best, with the only ones that I really enjoyed being the first Shrek and Kung Fu Panda. The trailers for Monsters vs. Aliens did get me interested, though, and the voice cast seemed pretty impressive. Even so, I was still fairly skeptical about how it would finally turn out. Now, having seen the film, I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/MVAPic2.jpg

There isn't a whole lot in the way of story [and character development], but suffice it to say, it serves its purpose. What makes Monsters vs. Aliens such an enjoyable film is how it works as a comedy. The pop culture references are still present, but I found them to be more clever and funny this time around, and in much smaller amounts. I was smiling through virtually the entire film, and had about 5 or 6 hard laugh-out-loud moments throughout. As expected, I was also very impressed by the voice cast in this movie. Hugh Laurie does a fantastic job as the voice of the sophisticated (though mildly insane) Dr. Cockroach, and most of the laughs are generated by Seth Rogen's performance as B.O.B.. Even Reese Witherspoon helps you feel some sympathy for her character near the beginning of the film, and Stephen Colbert does a surprisingly solid job as President Hathaway.

The 3D, while not used as effectively as it was in Coraline, is still one of the more impressive showcasings that I've seen, and that's largely due to the film's incredible action sequences. Seriously, this is some of the best action that I've seen in an animated film; as far as I'm concerned, it's right up there with that of The Incredibles.

Overall, I found Monsters vs. Aliens to be a surprisingly entertaining film, with clever and witty dialogue, as well as terrific action. I'm not usually in favor of sequels, but if they're able to keep it as balanced and charming, I would honestly like to see this become a successful, long-running franchise. Nice job, folks at DreamWorks Animation.

8/10

SuperPaperNess
03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I saw it yesterday when I went on my band trip. It was... okay. I've seen much better come out of DreamWorks, though. B.O.B is definately the best part of the movie.

the1stpkmnfan
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Im actually considering to watch this movie, but I havent the chance yet. But Ill probably go see it.

Diana3
03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
How have I never heard of this? Haha, I love animated movies!

zach2m1
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Well when I saw this I wasn't that interested. But after this review it has convinced me to check it out. Hopefully I will like it thanks Rare Adict for the great review!

Colagum
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, this has made me reconsider. Great review!

zeldaman
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
What the flagnog!?\
this was a really great movie, although they did take a few references out of other movies like when Gallaxhar said"oh space balls!", but anway really funny movie, & Insecto did not look like he was a caterpillar, but at least we now know how Mothra became!