PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Debates

Sonic62
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
So, who's gonna win the election? Majority maybe?

Gwellin
10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
No, I really doubt it. I hope it's not the Conservatives, but it will likely be a minority, whoever gets the title.

zach2m1
10-09-2008, 05:09 PM
No, I really doubt it. I hope it's not the Conservatives, but it will likely be a minority, whoever gets the title.

Same I really don't like the Conservatives they are gona frig up Canada :( I hope any one but Conservatives but I wouldn't mind if the won minoraty tho

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Same I really don't like the Conservatives they are gona frig up Canada :( I hope any one but Conservatives but I wouldn't mind if the won minoraty tho
If your profile it correct then you are not old enough to vote, but to everyone else who may not much like the Conservative party you should take a look at this link: http://www.voteforenvironment.ca/. Basically it's a strategic vote site, where you enter you postal code to see the latest polls and determine which other party is most likely to beat the Conservatives in your riding.

It doesn't matter if you're not too interested in the Environment, this strategy will still apply, unless you hate the suggested party as well. My main concerns are the Copyright Bill C-61, the Economy and the Arts Funding, but the Environment is still up there.

Sonic62
10-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, I cannot believe what I am reading. Enjoy your GST... :lol:

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow, I cannot believe what I am reading. Enjoy your GST... :lol:
You're a Conservative backer then? Don't tell me it's just because they are Blue just like Sonic. :P

I don't want to get this topic filled with political bashing, but I do feel that the Conservatives are the worst party to lead Canada for several reasons.

Sonic62
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
No, that is a pretty bad reason to support a political party...

drachenfels
10-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the Green Party is gonna win a majority goverment. solid platform, plenty of funds, long standing history...

HAHAHA ok im done making myself laugh for the day.

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Okay, lets cut the political talk, this topic is for Canadians to introduce themselves... and for us to show our superiority over Phil's hat.

I would not object to a mod splitting the political posts in to a new topic that we could discuss independently though.

Ninboycl
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I can't vote yet. Will be able to some time, but wont.
Today some personnel came from each party (Lib NDP Conserv Green) to answer questions, promote to recruit kids to make there parents vote, etc. I asked 2 questions:

Why is french still a official language? Very few people can only speak/read french. We waste so much money to lable EVERYTHING with french AND English. There are more and more immigrants coming in that know English, but couldn't give a hoot about french. It would be best to just cut french out already, or it will happen sooner or later when enough middle eastern/asian people get high up in the political circle.

Isn't the mentioning of god in our anthem politically incorrect? The "Lord's Prayer" (That thing you had to say along with the anthem at the biggining of the school day) was cut out of public schools because of the amount of multiculturalism in our schools, because Christians were quickly becoming a minority. So, why not make our anthem politically and culturally neutral (like it should be) bu modifying the anthem to take out the "god" part(s, I never pay attention to our anthem / the lord's prayer, so I only know a few lines of each.)

Discuss?
(VOTE BARRACK AND neorhino.ca Party!)

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I can't vote yet. Will be able to some time, but wont.
Today some personnel came from each party (Lib NDP Conserv Green) to answer questions, promote to recruit kids to make there parents vote, etc. I asked 2 questions:

Why is french still a official language? Very few people can only speak/read french. We waste so much money to lable EVERYTHING with french AND English. There are more and more immigrants coming in that know English, but couldn't give a hoot about french. It would be best to just cut french out already, or it will happen sooner or later when enough middle eastern/asian people get high up in the political circle.

Isn't the mentioning of god in our anthem politically incorrect? The "Lord's Prayer" (That thing you had to say along with the anthem at the biggining of the school day) was cut out of public schools because of the amount of multiculturalism in our schools, because Christians were quickly becoming a minority. So, why not make our anthem politically and culturally neutral (like it should be) bu modifying the anthem to take out the "god" part(s, I never pay attention to our anthem / the lord's prayer, so I only know a few lines of each.)

Discuss?
(VOTE BARRACK AND neorhino.ca Party!)

I would be happy to reply, and will, but could you first split this topic where the political talk started? I really don't want to scare new Canadian members from this topic when they read through this jargon.

Ninboycl
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I would be happy to reply, and will, but could you first split this topic where the political talk started? I really don't want to scare new Canadian members from this topic when they read through this jargon.
Done and Done. (except the name.. didn't go for some reason, and i cant fix >><

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Done and Done. (except the name.. didn't go for some reason, and i cant fix >><
Thank you. Sonic, are you able to edit the topic title, for your first post? Something like "The Canadian Election" would be good.

I've noticed you've spoken against the French before Ninboy, and I don't understand it. I am a quarter French, a line that started in Canada with some of the very first settlers to Québec, then to the Winnipeg area for many generations. I took French Immersion from Kindergarten to Grade 12 and despite being bad at it I did enjoy learning the language. I do not believe that French should be withdrawn as a national language. And don't forget that kids brought up bilingual score higher on IQ tests and tend to be be more accepting of other cultures. Care to explain your reasons, besides just saving some money, and why you seem to be against the French so much?

I wholly agree with keeping reference of God out of any Political matters though. Religion should not influence an decisions of out leaders, and it wasn't too long ago that they finally removed the prayer from sessions in The House. I'm not quite sure about the anthem though, it is a song, not a doctrine. The only line in the English version is "God keep our land glorious and free!" which is not bad, nothing like promising to follow God like a hymn would be. And by the way, there is no mention of Dieux in the French version, it is void of religious mention.

Ninboycl
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I've noticed you've spoken against the French before Ninboy, and I don't understand it. I am a quarter French, a line that started in Canada with some of the very first settlers to Québec, then to the Winnipeg area for many generations. I took French Immersion from Kindergarten to Grade 12 and despite being bad at it I did enjoy learning the language. I do not believe that French should be withdrawn as a national language. And don't forget that kids brought up bilingual score higher on IQ tests and tend to be be more accepting of other cultures. Care to explain your reasons, besides just saving some money, and why you seem to be against the French so much?

I won't go into huge detail, but I will explain.
The thing is, french is a huge minority in Canada now. Personally, I think the french are very discriminatory. Here in Ste.Agathe (a small french town just south of Winnipeg.) Wont let non-french speaking kids into there school. I was denied in 3rd grade, pretty much saying that letting English kids into there school will ruin there heritage. I don't regret it one bit, since now I'm in one of the top (academically wise) schools in Manitoba, which I wouldn't be in if I went there. Now, some 8 years later, they have ADULT FRENCH LESSONS POSTED IN THE GAS STATION, because there are like 2 french speaking family's and 200 English only family's in the town. They still wont let most kids in there school. Absolute discriminatory. Another issue, a FRENCH ONLY DAYCARE in St. Vital (Part of Winnipeg). WHAT THE HELL? How the hell? Just No. I know that makes me look like i think all french people are bad, which is false. What I'm trying to prove is that, simply, there aren't any French people. There's the Quebecians (Lol, dunno how that goes, I know Winnipeggians are Winnipeggers xD) who are french, but they want independence from Canada. What does that tell you? French has become a secondary language in Canada. The only thing really holding onto the french language in Canada now is the politicians. Being in a french immersion school dosen't do much (No offence, I was in one for a year.) since there are Mandrin-Immersion schools, Hindi-Immersion schools, etc. When the politicians revert from 98% white people's to where white people are a minority politics (Which will happen, and also isn't a problem, at all.). Personally, I don't think they will give a crap about french (NOT SAYING ITS A BAD LANGUAGE, SHEESH), and will make it a secondary language, like the rest of them. By that time, we probably will be the ONLY country with 2 languages (Which is, really, very silly.). Now that the language of the internet has practically been 100% choosen to be English, it will rub off onto every country, and english will end up being a Official primary language, or they will be ignorant and keep there old language, and everyone will ignore it and learn English. Like what happened in Canada! Because really, who wants to learn French when there is Japanese or German :O!

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
That is very opinionated, but I understand, you were discriminated against in that town. My French line most recently comes from Ste. Vital, so I know of that region and I have a friend in Québec, a Québequoi. I totally agree that the French can be very discriminatory, and the best example is a town in Québec which has actually banned all non-Catholic, non-French cultural references. This includes, but is not limited to, banning the turban and hijab of their Arabic residents, and not allowing a restaurant to keep ham off the menu for Jewish residents. THAT is unacceptable, although they didn't actually shut down the town Mosque, as long as they keep it indoors, literally. :roll:

There is nothing wrong with French only schools, in my opinion, for the language. They should not bar admission based on culture though. The same goes for the people trying to create a Black-only school in Toronto, that is a step way back in the wrong direction, by adding segregation again.

Honestly though, for one year in French Immersion, Kindergarten I assume, you can't really say that it doesn't do anything. Studies prove that people who learnt a second language as a kid have higher test scores, and are generally more intelligent.

The fact is that it goes down to history. The English prevented elongating a war by incorporating the French in to regions of their new colony. If French as a national language were removed do you know what happen? Québec would separate from Canada, cutting us off from their resources and from our maritime provinces. The country as a whole would loose much more than the money saved by having English only labels on products.

English is being strengthened by the advent of the internet, that is for sure, but English speakers aren't the only ones using the internet, don't pretend that they are. There is another problem though; REAL English use is being thinned by American English. People see words spelt the American way online, and at times stop using the English they were taught. I implore, all the Canadians, Europeans, and all non-Americans reading this to keep spelling your English properly (colour, honour, neighbour, centre, etc.). The Canadian English spell check dictionary for Firefox is available here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3653); set it by right clicking a text box and going under Languages.

Ninboycl
10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
NEVAR. GRAMMRZ IS FER PHOOLZ!
Just kidding :D
Anyway, I never said Immersion schools are bad, I said *language* only schools are bad. Well, that's what I meant. And... how did you know Kindergarden? Yeah, I wen't to St.Norbert French-Immersion school. (ARETE LE FAVRES!, I remember our teacher would always yell. It is supposed to translate to "Stop The Beans", dunno what the heck, but me and French grammar especially = I can't do.)
I also never said a second language is bad, I just don't think french should qualify as a Official Canadian Language anymore. And, on the English internet topic, I know there are millions of non-English sites out there, but you can't deny that English IS the language of the internet.

I also don't see how French is easier to learn than English. Nouns, Adjectives and Verbs > Acsontegues, Acutes, Garaves, and words with sexes.
Seriously, who the hell would make words have a gender?
(I know you will say lots of languages have gendered words (I don't know any others off the top of my head), and maybe that calling a car "she" is giving the car a gender. Well, "car" is still genderless, the gender is in "she". (Sorry if you know that, I don't mean for this last part to be hurtful in any matter, I'm just giving out examples.)

MSico
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
There are two R's in Arrete. :P

Gwellin
10-09-2008, 11:59 PM
There are two R's in Arrete. :P
Not to mention the accent in Arrête.

You don't start French Immersion in Grade 6, Kindergarten was obvious. And one teacher of mine used to say Zut! a lot; that means Damn It!, and we called her out on it.

So, you hate *language* only schools... what about English only schools? ;) Just because it isn't a national language doesn't mean it can't have a dedicated school. It's when you start rejecting students because they weren't raised to that language is when they should be shut down.

I never said French was easier to learn, and I never would. It's a pain in the ass language to get the hang of, and I already said I was bad at it, even after thirteen years in Immersion classes. After talking to a guy who knows Spanish I now know that language is apparently much easier.

Here are some other languages with genders, Spanish, Czech, Japanese and, oh, English! Yes, English doesn't have many gender references, but have you noticed that a ship is referred to as "she", well that applies to any genderless vessel, including a car.

MSico
10-10-2008, 12:30 AM
A lot of people refer to their vehicles as "she", but I don't. My last car was a Honda Accord that I named Pontius Pilate, and now I drive a Chevy Cavalier that I named Apollo. :P

Sonic62
10-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Naming cars, that is awesome! _awesome_

zach2m1
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I call my dads car the fruitmobile because its a cherry coulour :P

Ninboycl
10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
So, you hate *language* only schools... what about English only schools?

Don't be a smart ass now.

Gwellin
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
So, you hate *language* only schools... what about English only schools?

Don't be a smart ass now.
Okay, sorry.

wiifan_362
10-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Barrack for the win. oh wait, Canada _dead_

Sonic62
10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
If I could, I'd vote Obama... 8-)

Gwellin
10-11-2008, 12:18 AM
If I could, I'd vote Obama... 8-)
I would as well. Apparently most Canadians would.

MSico
10-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Hopefully most Americans will too... _ns_

zach2m1
10-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Hopefully most Americans will too... _ns_

I hope so to but I think some Americans are not ready for a black president though. But If i was American I would vote for obama though

wiifan_362
10-11-2008, 08:55 PM
then u could argue that americans aren't ready for a female VP...

Sonic62
10-12-2008, 04:45 AM
They already had a retarded president, so why not a black one? :P