PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Streaming

bobo_dude16
04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
If you are new to the TSG, you probably would like to do the same thing as the TSG do, but you will need help. At this topic, you have some tips on how to start your own stream!

Here are some tips:

Find a streaming host

When you stream, you will need a host to stream with. The three most popular ones are Ustream (http://www.ustream.tv) (the one TSG uses), Justin.tv (http://www.justin.tv), and Blogtv.com (http://www.blogtv.com). The most popular and recommended stream host is Ustream. When you find the one you want to use, make an account and make a channel.

Have a decent video source

People love a stream that they can see stuff clearly on, so you will need a decent video source. Remember, if this is an audio stream, you don't need this. If you wanna stream video games, a capture card (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8853797&st=dazzle&type=product&id=1209166068373) is the best way to go. To use these, you will need a television, an in/out audio source (the yellow/red/white things on the TV), a video cord (has the yellow/red/white thing on both sides), and the capture card itself. If you don't have/can't get one, a simple webcam will do the trick (also for just talk broadcasting). If you wanna broadcast your computer screen, manycam (http://www.manycam.com/) (windows) or Camtwist (http://camtwist.en.softonic.com/mac) (Mac) can be used to capture your computer or be used to show your webcam! If you wanna stream video games, You can use an emulator, but remember it is illegal if you don't own a physical copy of the game you are going to stream. Remember to follow the rules of the website and laws about video broadcasting while streaming video.

Have a decent audio source

A stream is really fun when there is a commentator talking up a storm! To do this, you will need a microphone. This is not needed, but is pretty fun. If you can't, talk in the chat. You can get a decent microphone at Wal-mart for around 10$ (US) at the cheapest. Some webcams also have microphones, those can be used, too. My laptop came with a built-in microphone, but I do not recommend a built-in one because it has a lot of bad sounds. You can also use a Rock Band microphone to use as an audio source. If you want the game audio, use your mic input on your computer (as far as dazzles go). When you talk, be sure to talk a lot. It isn't fun to have a stream where you have a person who could talk, but isn't. Be sure to follow the site's rules and laws about audio broadcasting while broadcasting audio.

Realize lag

When you stream, the viewers don't see what you are seeing Immediately after you do it (most of the time). This is lag. Remember when you stream, remember people will not reply right after you say something, so keep that in mind.

Choose fun topics/games

When you stream, people want to always be excited, not bored out of their minds. Try to talk about something fun, or something current in the news. Try to get the chat active. If you are streaming a game, play something interesting. No one like looking at frets disappear on Guitar Hero the whole time.

Stay enthusiastic/interested/active

People want the streams to be fun, so stay active. It isn't fun for people to sit there watching nothing while you blank out, make sure you are still showing interest in the chat/stream. Showing enthusiasm is a great way to get the chat living and running, and the people in the chat will wanna reply. When people aren't replying, you aren't being active enough. Make sure the chat knows you wanna talk, they won't really start making a huge conversation on their own most of the time.

Have more people helping you

When you stream, there is always someone who wants to ruin the fun. People will usually come into the chat and continuously post meaningless and annoying stuff, called spam. When this is happening, it is good to have someone else helping, an OP. They will help control the chat, making the experience more fun. Don't go overboard with OPs, and only OP people you trust.

Have fun!

Don't do something boring while streaming, have fun!

Thanks for reading this, have fun with your future streaming! Be sure to read the rules of the website you are going to stream on, you don;t wanna go against the rules.

the1stpkmnfan
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh, thank goodness. This might just help my stream even better. So thanks Bobo. I got a lot to fix of my stream. :P

nmufred
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Thank you bobo. Seeing that it costs less than $60 for the equipment to stream, I might do it sometime this summer. I hope to be half as good as you if I do actually do it :).

bobo_dude16
04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Thank you bobo. Seeing that it costs less than $60 for the equipment to stream, I might do it sometime this summer. I hope to be half as good as you if I do actually do it :).
hehehe, thanks!

zach2m1
04-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Woah bobo I am impressed this is a really good topic. The grammer and spelling is 10 times better than mine with out spell check, and you cover everything! A++ for bobo! Seriously I am impressed! :D

Sonic62
04-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I had no idea you were such an expert, bravo! :D

Mega_Mario
04-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice guide Bobo!

It will most likely create even more streamers. _awesome_

The spelling is very good.

(I like to add effects on ManyCam like Weegee, a flag, snow, distorion, fire, color differences, and fire.)

Yes I know I said fire twice, it is just funny to make it "look" like you are on fire. ;)

Boo_24_7
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I plan on starting a stream this weekend, and I'll just I don't plan on playing many games during it. :o

bobo_dude16
04-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys :D

capcommaster1881
04-14-2009, 01:47 PM
oh cool Bobo, i read it all and i bet it will help me with streaming better :D

Demon2k3
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
This is certainly going to help me when i start streaming.

DrewStern
05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Bobo, very useful info.

You'd make a good op... Only if you want to. PM me if you can.

killerwombat
05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey, how do you make someone an OP on Justin.tv?

Mega_Mario
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Justin.tv? <No comment>

I think you type /mod (username).

Unless I'm wrong, it keeps them as a Permanent Mod until /unmod (username) is typed.

Although, now I use Chatzilla, since my account was White listed. :)

bobo_dude16
05-14-2009, 06:46 PM
White list
What does that mean again?

Mega_Mario
05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
[quote="Mega_Mario":1e8a6eze]White list
What does that mean again?[/quote:1e8a6eze]
It means they allow you to get on there server using an external IRC client using your account. They do that for...um was it to prevent spam? or was it epic fail?

Anyways, you need to apply for your account to be white listed (opposite of black listed) and it takes any where from a week (I was lucky) until... never.

killerwombat
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
You said to type /mod (username) but where do I type that?

Mega_Mario
05-14-2009, 07:37 PM
You said to type /mod (username) but where do I type that?
In the chat? Now that I fixed my screen (don't ask) I can see you can also Left click on the person's name and click Make Mod.

killerwombat
05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Bobo, you might want to add to your guide in the realize lag seciton that using a lower video quality helps your stream not lag so much or be as choppy. I tested my stream, and the video and audio would have litterally a 7 second delay. I changed my settings way down to almost nothing, and the lag was about half a second. The video didnt even look that bad either. Note: I am using the "best" encoder for justin.tv

Sonic62
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
You just click the person's name and select mod. You guys always have to make things so complicated. :P

Cross-Warrior
05-15-2009, 03:31 PM
You just click the person's name and select mod. You guys always have to make things so complicated. :P

its fun to make things complicated! afterall, why to things the simple way when you can do backflips that lead to self dancing monkeys that click the button to op people of not. Wait, that just me :P

anyways, its true, clicking on the persons name is easier, but there are those who are use to the more complicated way (points at me)

SonikkuMan
05-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Ummm.... Ustream doesn't recognize my capture card as an audio device as well. Should I stick with the Mic and commentate without anyone hearing the game itself?

Sonic62
05-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Ummm.... Ustream doesn't recognize my capture card as an audio device as well. Should I stick with the Mic and commentate without anyone hearing the game itself?
That's the problem I have. Check: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7)

SonikkuMan
05-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Uhhh... I have a Dazzle Capture Card, plus I had no idea what was said in explanation.

nmufred
05-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanx for the tips again bobo :). I'm starting my stream this week and I was glad to be able to read this over as a good guide again.

the1stpkmnfan
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Your stream is going to be awesome Fred. Good luck, and of course your best buddy will be there.

nmufred
05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanx best buddy :). I can't wait to start either, looks like it might be Thursday or Friday, since that's when I have the apartment to myself again :P.

Tanexion
05-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Uhhh... I have a Dazzle Capture Card, plus I had no idea what was said in explanation.
With the dazzle, you can go to most electronics stores and find an adapter to get your audio working. Here's one to give you an idea of what I'm talking about
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103710
You would plug that into your computer's mic input and plug the audio source into the other ends. You can thank Fettouhi for this knowledge btw :D
Here's the image he posted as an example
http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim0564vf0.jpg

SonikkuMan
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Hmmm... ok. I think I understand a little bit now. Darn it, my TV is way to far from my computer for it to work like that... I'll find a way to adjust. Thanks for the help.

Sonic62
05-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Ya, that's what I use. Thanks to that topic I linked.

njmonkey2987
08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for this thread, I was wondering what kind of programs i would need to stream!

KingBroly
08-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm kind of struggling at the moment. I have a video source for the stream, but no audio (I'd rather it be in-game music than commentary mind you). My speakers are playing sound, but no one's getting sound on the stream.

Trombonus
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I had that same problem Broly, and the following thread helped me a lot:

Capture Card (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7)

KingBroly
08-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Well, I wasn't playing a console game, it was a PC game. So I don't see how a capture card could help me.

Sonic62
08-09-2009, 01:28 AM

Well, I wasn't playing a console game, it was a PC game. So I don't see how a capture card could help me.
This might help. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3441 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3441)

Fullsilverwolf
08-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks, Bobo! That's some really good advice. :)
If I ever stream, someday, I'll be sure to thank you.

DrewStern
08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I want to record my computer screen, is there another way, my webcam is dumb.

Mega_Mario
08-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I want to record my computer screen, is there another way, my webcam is dumb.
Ustream Addons (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?p=18#p18) should help you.
And a quote from the first post:

Have a decent video source
If you wanna broadcast your computer screen, manycam (http://www.manycam.com/) (windows) or Camtwist (http://camtwist.en.softonic.com/mac) (Mac) can be used to capture your computer or be used to show your webcam! If you wanna stream video games, You can use an emulator, but remember it is illegal if you don't own a physical copy of the game you are going to stream. Remember to follow the rules of the website and laws about video broadcasting while streaming video.

I personally like using ManyCam, as it has a free option to remove the advertising logo, while most others require the purchase of a registered version to remove it.

Syrup
08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Bobo VHSScreen capture is the best way to go for PC Capturing. Its takes the least computer usage.
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms Emulators are illegal 100% regardles if u own the original.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Just Saving U Guys Ur Monehz

KingBroly
08-09-2009, 08:55 AM

This might help. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3441 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3441)

You know what? I think that will work. When I went to recording devices on my speakers and checked disabled devices there was a device there that seems to pick up audio. I don't know if I can record stuff with my voice or not, but it seems to give me computer sounds. :mrgreen:

And just for the heck of it...
_objection_

Sonic62
08-09-2009, 11:02 PM
You know what? I think that will work. When I went to recording devices on my speakers and checked disabled devices there was a device there that seems to pick up audio. I don't know if I can record stuff with my voice or not, but it seems to give me computer sounds. :mrgreen:
Oh wow, that's awesome! I'm so glad that finally helped someone. :D

DeaPGalaxy
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
A good guide bobo! =D
I might stream myself, but my mic isn't working! =[

Masamune
08-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tips bobo! Really helped me out! :D

Also, how do you remove the logo in ManyCam? ._.'''

TheFinnGamer
08-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Can you use Webcam max to stream the screen?

the1stpkmnfan
08-29-2009, 07:41 AM
I tried using WebcamMax to stream, but it really slows down one of my games on the computer. So I tried ManyCam and SuperwebCam, but they're not working really well for me.

Mega_Mario
08-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Also, how do you remove the logo in ManyCam? ._.'''
In ManyCam, under the Effects tab, go down to "Text over video" and deselect the box that says "Show ManyCam logo" (do they think anybody actually wants the logo? O_o) and that should get rid of it.

I always use ManyCam for whenever I record something/when I used to stream. It can stream your computer screen, but not your computer's audio. But the Ustream Addons (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8) will also do that.

Sonic62
08-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, I'm glad it's that easy, thanks for that Mario! This time I downloaded Manycam for my upcoming Pokémon Blue run, it worked twenty times better than Webcammax. (Computer didn't freeze randomly)

the1stpkmnfan
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I finally figured out to handle ManyCam to work on my computer. It's way better for me to stream SBK plus than WebcamMax. WCM just slows the game, unlike ManyCam. So I think Im able to play this game with no problems. :)

Masamune
08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Oh, thanks for that Mario! :D <3

NicoCW
08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
I feel like such a noob for asking this, but I downloaded ManyCam, and I can't even figure out how to get it to capture my computer screen. I also checked the help topics, but found nothing. What exactly am I supposed to do?

Sonic62
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Go to the sources tab, click Desktop, choose what you want it to display.

NicoCW
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Ah, I got it, thanks!

Is it supposed to be laggy, though? Is there anything I can do to reduce the lag?

DavyBones24
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey, on ustream, after pressing 'broadcast now', and that window pops up, how do you stream your computer screen? ( I have Camstudio as a screen recorder)
thanks in advance

Scruff
10-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey, on ustream, after pressing 'broadcast now', and that window pops up, how do you stream your computer screen? ( I have Camstudio as a screen recorder)
thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure you need to use a screen streaming program and not a recording one, Manycam works well and it's recommended for UStream and it's free.

DavyBones24
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
hm, theres a stream program? I'll check that out.

Ice
10-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Depends if you have a Mac or Pc, but either way there are ones free for Mac, some free for Pc, but some you have to pay for as well. So let us know what computer you are working with.

DavyBones24
10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Depends if you have a Mac or Pc, but either way there are ones free for Mac, some free for Pc, but some you have to pay for as well. So let us know what computer you are working with.

Window's Vista

lewigi2012
10-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I just attempted to stream me playing Gran Turismo 5 Prologue using my Xbox Live Vision cam and tested it by getting my dad to watch it on his laptop which is pretty slow and ran rather well. The only thing I'm noticing is that it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every so often (which would require viewers to refresh stream I think).

I've got the audio sorted out and that works fine.

The only problem is that, I can't actually see how the stream is going or see the chat because I only have one screen D:

So, my question is, would the Dazzle DVD Recorder be much better to use and, could someone explain how it works fully cus it all looks a bit confusing :S

windows98
11-13-2009, 07:43 PM
I downloaded manycam but it's capturing at a very low framerate. Is there any way around this?

KoshiSushi
12-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a question: Whenever I stream, at random times, the stream will crash. Is that because of my internet browser or my computer? I ask because I'm gonna be doing a small marathon later in the future and I just wanna make sure I can fix the problems.

Tanexion
12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
It could be any number of things. I wouldn't think that it was the browser, though. An easy way to find out would be to just try using another browser and see how it goes. It could also be your internet connection, though. I think that if your upstream speed isn't fast enough, that may cause some problems.

Wormow
12-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Is it possible to stream the emulator AND be able to view the chat?

Sonic62
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Is it possible to stream the emulator AND be able to view the chat?
Ya, there's ways to go about it. In my case, I'd stream the game on my laptop and watch the chat on the Mac. (Or just another computer)
It also depends on how big of a window your game screen is, really.

Cubby44
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting this! Manycam is awesome. I've had a couple overnights now streaming some games and it sure as heck beats my actual webcam lol

As for streaming and watching chat, I do that. I set my emulators to a certain window size, and then open the chat popup and just resize it and move it off to the edge. It helps that my laptop is 1280 x 800 =\

Cubby44
12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
and I actually have a question of my own... How do you get good audio from the emulator to the stream? I tried recording off project64 and the audio was all scratchy and static =/

Sonic62
12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
and I actually have a question of my own... How do you get good audio from the emulator to the stream? I tried recording off project64 and the audio was all scratchy and static =/
You may have to adjust the mic volume.

BuizelBro
12-24-2009, 06:16 PM
if your computer/laptop has a camera built into it, is it possible to stream from it?

bobo_dude16
12-24-2009, 06:25 PM
if your computer/laptop has a camera built into it, is it possible to stream from it?
Yes

pkGamerB
12-24-2009, 06:28 PM
It's possible to stream from a built in cam, but I think it all depends on the quality of video your camera can display. I know my laptop cam has horrible quality, so I'd never try to stream from it. In the case of a laptop cam, you would have a pretty tough time reading the chat, as well, since your computer will be facing your tv (unless you can rotate the cam).

BuizelBro
12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
thanks. what i meant isnt to record gameplay, but to just do a regular stream. a chat type thing. im thinking about doing an all nighter christmas eve stream tonight

pkGamerB
12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh, you should be fine, then. :)

Wormow
12-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Also, how do we do like, put two streams into one stream?

nerji
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to streaming but I have a problem that maybe someone can help me with. I'm playing FF9 using Epsxe and using webcammax to capture the desktop, everything works fine when I run it in windowed mode but as soon as I put it in fullscreen the video disappears on the stream. I've tried using version 6 and 7 of webcammax, I'm on vista home 64.
Has anyone else had same/similar problems as me and found any solutions? hoping to get started again tomorrow.

Thanks.

cocowoushi
12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi guys. I actually stream my art I'm working on in photoshop via uStream/ManyCam and I was wondering how it was possible to have there be music too. Like if I'm playing music on my computer is there a way for others to hear it too?

I can't really commentate since photoshop takes up my whole screen so I can only look back towards the chat now and then, so I thought it would be nice to play some of the music that is inspiring me while I draw.

DavyBones24
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
ugh. T_T

I download ManyCam(desktop icon and everything) and for some reason, when i try to use it ( double clicking on the icon etc), it doesn't do anything, zip, nada. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

bobo_dude16
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Did you install the right version? If you did, try re-installing it or right-clicking the icon and selecting "run as administrator", assuming you are on a PC

Mega_Mario
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
ugh. T_T

I download ManyCam(desktop icon and everything) and for some reason, when i try to use it ( double clicking on the icon etc), it doesn't do anything, zip, nada. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Check to see if this icon appears on the bottom in the notification area.
http://i48.tinypic.com/addrvb.png

If so, click that icon to launch ManyCam.

DavyBones24
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
alright! Thanks to both of you, both ideas work!

*thinks about opening a Stream* >:3

edit: *test streams a game for 5-10 minutes*
Edit2: And I am done

Does anyone know anyway to at lease try to reduce Lag? I had suuuuper lag, it was like a picture power-point playthrough. >_>

Sonic62
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
alright! Thanks to both of you, both ideas work!

*thinks about opening a Stream* >:3

edit: *test streams a game for 5-10 minutes*
Edit2: And I am done

Does anyone know anyway to at lease try to reduce Lag? I had suuuuper lag, it was like a picture power-point playthrough. >_>
I can only tell you what works for me, but at least it's somewhere to start.
I'll have video quality at 60-70 and always have audio at 11 kHz.

DavyBones24
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Alrighty, thanks, i'll try it out next I stream :D

Cubby44
01-14-2010, 02:21 AM
I use Gigaware... Am I screwed? =\ the video size is all screwed up. I was gonna start up the overnight streaming again but... >_>

Jeff
01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Alright, let's talk about my experience with streaming. I started with livestream.
It's nice. It has its own software. The frame rate is near, if not absolutely perfect. The only problem is, of course, the whole premium deal that costs 250 dollars a month. Ick.

So I used ustream, like you guys recommend, and I used manycam. I must ask you guys a serious question.

How do you make it so that the frame rate does not skip half the frames? I got the ustream encoder, and that improved it, but it's still skipping 20-30 frames a second. It really looks bad. Livestream doesn't have this problem, but because of all of the shiny free features ustream has, I'd really like to use ustream. Can anyone give me a solution?

Edit: And now that I look at it again, why does the image quality go to poop too?
Answered by self: Because custom desktop needs a proper resolution or it stretches the pixels, lame.

Ice
05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm rockin a Dazzle, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to have a stream with In-game audio AND a commentator cam/commentator audio.

So I would want:
A commentator cam (not sure the best way to go about it/is it possible to dual stream within one stream on ustream?)

In-game audio

and Commentator audio.

Suggestions?

wee187
05-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm rockin a Dazzle, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to have a stream with In-game audio AND a commentator cam/commentator audio.

So I would want:
A commentator cam (not sure the best way to go about it/is it possible to dual stream within one stream on ustream?)

In-game audio

and Commentator audio.

Suggestions?

For the audio, you may have to do the way I do, and manage to get a good old audio mixer. Then plug your mic in there, as well as the game audio cables, and manage them to an adjustable audio level so both are audible, and plug the audio mixer itself into the mic slot in your computer. UStream treats the mixer as one mic, with the game audio and your voice combined. Dazzle audio doesn't work on UStream by itself anyway, it has to go in the mic slot, so it really is better to mix it. Hope that helped.

Can't help you with the cam and the game feed together though, I don't know how that works unless it's simply done by cohosting.

Ice
05-02-2010, 12:41 PM

So I would want:

In-game audio

and Commentator audio.

Suggestions?

For the audio, you may have to do the way I do, and manage to get a good old audio mixer. Then plug your mic in there, as well as the game audio cables, and manage them to an adjustable audio level so both are audible, and plug the audio mixer itself into the mic slot in your computer. UStream treats the mixer as one mic, with the game audio and your voice combined. Dazzle audio doesn't work on UStream by itself anyway, it has to go in the mic slot, so it really is better to mix it. Hope that helped.

Can't help you with the cam and the game feed together though, I don't know how that works unless it's simply done by cohosting.

Thanks for the advice, I dont exactly have an audio mixer that I can use offhand lol, but could possibly be a future investment. I still don't understand the stream within a stream thing aka commentator cam though.

Mega_Mario
05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Dazzle audio doesn't work on UStream by itself anyway
Not exactly sure why many people are saying that. It does work, however, you need to launch the "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder" program to get it to work.

As for having a commentary camera inside the feed, a program such as WebcamMax (http://www.webcammax.com/) (might be helpful to add in the first post) or the Ustream Producer Pro (http://www.ustream.tv/producer) would allow that. However, for WebcamMax, there is an annoying logo in the free version and for Ustream Producer Pro, the free version does not allow multiple cameras.

Using the co-host option in Ustream would probably be the easiest, as it would allow you to have the commentary and game audio with only the built in broadcasting features.

Sonic62
05-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Not exactly sure why many people are saying that. It does work, however, you need to launch the "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder" program to get it to work.
Hmm, this intrigues me. Can you expand on that?

Mega_Mario
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm, this intrigues me. Can you expand on that?
Oh, sure.
Whenever I launch Ustream and use my Dazzle, the audio does not come on automatically.
I'm not sure why, but after launching the "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder" program that came with the Dazzle, the audio begins to work for me on Ustream straight from the Dazzle.

EDIT: After trying to work with some people with this, it only appears to work if you can select the Dazzle as an audio source. As such, it doesn't appear to work with Windows 7. For me, I use Windows XP.

Videos:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7045956
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7026367

Sonic62
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow, I've got to try that!

Brineboy
05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh, sure.
Whenever I launch Ustream and use my Dazzle, the audio does not come on automatically.
I'm not sure why, but after launching the "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder" program that came with the Dazzle, the audio begins to work for me on Ustream straight from the Dazzle.
Hmm im gonna have to test this out for myself also ;)

the1stpkmnfan
05-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Same here. xD I think Ill have to try that as well, instead of using my webcam for audio. :P

Brineboy
05-03-2010, 04:13 PM
just tested it out and it worked! and the program didn't need to be running the whole time since after I started it up it crashed on my and closed down but the stream sound worked :D (though my stream was really laggy might be that my computer was doing alot of things at once though)

Sonic62
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
My first attempt at that failed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anything I might be missing?

BeTheDuck
06-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice, simple and easy to understand tips.

I would love to pull a stream together sometime soon as well with some people but got to update some of my audio equipment before I can get to work on this. Other than that though just need to get some people who are as interested as me and would be willing to do a collaboration sometime.

But this is a great reference guide. I'll try to get some people I know to look up on it that I know are doing this for their first time.

ShoddySilver
06-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I got a Dazzle and after a few LP's me and a few friends are gonna be doing a Catch'em all 24 Hour Marathon :D So this will come in handy. Thanks Mate!

DavyBones24
06-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Alright, i'm gunna attempt a stream again if any ones interested, blind run of Mega man X3 until 4 pm est.

Edit; wow never mind! My comp. lagged so much it rage quited! (plus I sucked at the game)

abyssmalstar
06-20-2010, 01:35 PM
STREAM TIPS FOR CHEAP PEOPLE:

Dear TSG Members who are broke from having donated money to the marathons,

If you are a cheap person like me, and cannot afford a Capture Card, HAVE NO FEAR! For cheaps, (assuming you have video camera/camcorder and the wire that goes from there to your PC/Mac) you can make your own "capture card".

You will need:
Computer (Duhh)
Video Game System (Duhh)
Video Camera or Camcorder WITH an AV input
Cable that runs from VC/C To Computer (comes with VC/C)
One male 3.5 mm to RCA male (Most likely comes with VC/C) ( http://amzn.to/cLvaLC )
One extra Male to Male RCA Cable ( http://amzn.to/crPLf0 ) (found it lying around in my house)
1, 2, or 3 RCA Splitters ( http://amzn.to/9vk2VA )
-- if you buy 1, you will only get video, 2 will get you Video and one side of audio and all 3 will get you full video and full audio
And One Female to Female RCA coupler ( http://amzn.to/bqR5Yk )

What you will want to do is this:
1) Take the RCA Coupler and stick in your Splitters, (1 must go into yellow)
2) Plug your VGConsole's cables into the other side of the Coupler
3) Take the spare RCA Cable and plug one end into one side of the splitter, plug the other end into your TV's components.
4) Plug the RCA side of the 3.5 mm to RCA cable into the other side of the splitter. Plug the 3.5 mm into your video camera.
5) Plug your Video Camera into your computer.
6) Turn on your video camera (set to PLAY, not record) and make sure that it is set to accept AV Inputs as DV.
7) Test it. Turn on your Video game console and see if it shows up on your Video Camera
8) Open up Ustream and click on Broadcast Now
9) Set your video camera to be the video input
10) Broadcast and Record

^^It should work^^
If not, PM me, I'll try and see what the problem is!

I'm currently working on a Video tutorial for this, I will post it here when i have it ready!

The only things i had to buy were the splitters and the Coupler, everything else I already had! Also, Everything can be purchased at Radio shack or Amazon, or another electronics store!

markus
06-20-2010, 11:17 PM
i should be able to stream maybe the coming few weeks obviously it would be some trial stuff but never the less this has given me an idea on what to do.

jebusthecatman
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
When my capture card is plugged in and I want to record my voice, it records the game's audio instead, it isn't a Dazzle if you are wondering.

UltimateHero13
07-03-2010, 01:38 AM
How can i record with a capture card AND record with a mic to record my voice? _mks_

coolasj19
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Edit:I answered my own question[spoiler:2i4z21p7]Since I answered my own question below. The next question is. Can I use splitters and output 480 (composite) onto my TV and capture card with no problems?[/spoiler:2i4z21p7]
Edit:I answered my own question.[spoiler:2i4z21p7]I want to use my PS3 to stream. Can I use the HDMI and play on my TV while still using the AV cables to stream to through Dazzle to my computer? I am looking to buy Dazzle tomorrow (July 21st). Also I should assume that desirable to buy the software ( Premium Dazzle ) too right?

Edit:spelling error.[/spoiler:2i4z21p7]

Wow. I answered all my questions by researching. :fail:

KingBroly
07-25-2010, 08:16 PM
So if I got a capture card, what else would I need to connect it to, and stream from a laptop with minimal lag? And how much of an investment would it be outside of the capture card?

Sonic62
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
So if I got a capture card, what else would I need to connect it to, and stream from a laptop with minimal lag? And how much of an investment would it be outside of the capture card?
I use 3 splitters and a converter that plugs into the mic jack of the laptop.

Kim
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Is this the place for streaming questions, if this is then can someone answer to this :)
How can you merge multiple ustream accounts to one stream window (like in TSG-marathons where there's game on top of the screen, living room on bottom left and commentators on bottom right) I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and this would help alot.

...Sorry if my english sucks, haven't had much practice lately :(

rudy06
07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
TSG uses a program called WebCam Max to do it. It is available for free trial, I believe.

ManyCam can partially do this with one other video source now. =D
The Ustream Producer also has the function to do this. =D

warforce
08-11-2010, 11:13 PM
This is probabaly extremely stupid of me to ask but i don't have a webcam and i am not very familar with pc programs.
Is it possible to live stream off of anything displayed on your computer/laptop screen WITHOUT a webcam?
I've been meaning to want to participate in a marathon(dont know which one though) but i don't have a webcam. However i can do something like display actual gameplay of my psp onto my laptop screen. I just don't know how to make it so that the stream i'm using can record anything on my laptop.

Most of these live streams involve something to do with a webcam and i don't have one so i apologize if i'm asking a stupid question.

metalalchemist82
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm currently trying to follow the steps and tips layed down by BoBo_dude but it's not seeming to help. I'm not sure if maybe my computer can't handle the stream or what but whenever i try to broadcast from the ustream channel it just gives me a blank tab window afterwards with just a banner saying "what are you broadcasting?', the mediums to which you can spread the broadcast word update, and a banner for ustream producer. now i've tried using the producer and despite being (at max i've seen) only 30k in memory usage, it lags my computer sooo much and i doubt that it would be enjoyable for the audience (whenever there is one). I got it to work one time with everything coming up as it should come up. y'know showing your feed, asking for the source content for video the audio feed, etc. but can never get it back since. Tried using manycam in combination with producer which surprisingly didn't slow my computer down any as opposed to the desktop presenter albeit i lacked audio. if anyone could give me any tips on this, it'd be helpful that way if at anytime i need to cover for someone during a stream (here or anywhere else that i have friends who stream) i would know what to do.

BlaisingDawn
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
These tips are really helpful and me and my friends were planning on doing a stream sometime in the future but I was wondering if the three splitter method (two for audio and one for video) of recording will allow us to see it on more than just my computer screen. plus any help with how to set up the audio would help a lot.
Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Also, do we need pinacle (or however it is spelt) to stream from a dazzle or can we use something else?

KingBroly
09-23-2010, 02:56 AM
How do we get audio to go out through a Dazzle capture card on Ustream? Do I need another program?

metalalchemist82
09-23-2010, 08:30 AM
How do we get audio to go out through a Dazzle capture card on Ustream? Do I need another program?
your best bet would be to use a webcam or an external mic probably to capture the audio

metalalchemist82
09-23-2010, 08:30 AM
your best bet would be to use a webcam or an external mic probably to capture the audio

Sonic62
10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
I've heard there's a way to get it using older Windows. I think Mega_Mario knows.

Ice
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I've heard there's a way to get it using older Windows. I think Mega_Mario knows.

I've tried, but I think Mega_Mario told me a long time ago that you actually have to open the pinnacle studio software on your computer, and somehow run the audio through there to get it to work. I've never figured it out, but you probably should jus rock an external webcam and run the audio through there.

RaikouRider
11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have any experience streaming with the Diamond VC500? Every time I've tried, I get a massive amount of flicker.

sonicstick7
11-20-2010, 11:34 PM
good job but you should add someting on how to cocomintate with people

Heufneutje
11-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Does anyone have any experience streaming with the Diamond VC500? Every time I've tried, I get a massive amount of flicker.

Are you using the web broadcaster or Ustream Producer?

RaikouRider
11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I think I tried both.

Mega_Mario
11-22-2010, 06:46 PM

I've tried, but I think Mega_Mario told me a long time ago that you actually have to open the pinnacle studio software on your computer, and somehow run the audio through there to get it to work. I've never figured it out, but you probably should jus rock an external webcam and run the audio through there.
Yeah, it's a really weird method and seems to only work with Windows XP.
You need to set the Dazzle as the audio source, open the Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder and for some reason, it starts picking it up.

Heufneutje
11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
You need to set the Dazzle as the audio source, open the Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder and for some reason, it starts picking it up.
Well, I'm on Windows 7 and I got my audio this way too.

Sonic62
11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Well, I'm on Windows 7 and I got my audio this way too.
O_O Why can't I do that!?

90HeroMAXD
01-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Did you mention about Ustream Producer?

sabombardonist
02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I doubt there are very many Linux users in here, but if there are, how would you get the best possible quality video through a USB capture card?

Manjoume
02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi, I'm using a capture device too, and what would I have to do to get game audio from the device while I get mic commentary?