PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Star Trek (2009)

Rare Addict
05-09-2009, 06:02 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/StarkTrekPoster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

"Featuring the main characters of the original Star Trek series, who are portrayed by a new cast, though the film introduces a retroactively altered timeline which changes the events of the original series and the previous movies. Star Trek explores the backstories of James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto), before they unite aboard the USS Enterprise to combat Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan from the future who threatens the United Federation of Planets."

First of all, I've never been that much of a Star Trek fan. Throughout the years, I've only watched a hand full of episodes, and it wasn't until rather recently when I decided to watch Wrath of Khan, which not only thoroughly impressed me, but got me even more excited for this latest installment. Now, while it may be too early to say for certain (as I've only just come back from seeing the movie), I'm tempted to call Star Trek one of my all-time favorite science fiction films.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/StarTrekPic1.jpg

On top of this being one of the best looking movies I've seen in a long time, I was very pleasantly surprised by the action in this film. Ships aren't simply staring at eachother, waiting for somebody to fire the next shot. Here, they're swooping past eachother, and diving under chunks of ship debris; it's just a ton of fun to watch. Also, the fight choreography is top-notch, and - in some ways - more engaging than any of the ship battles in the movie. If anything, I felt that there was almost too much action in the film. Not a huge gripe, but there were a few action sequences that felt irrelevant to the story. Overall, the action, as well as the special effects, are superb.

The most impressive part of the movie, however, is the acting. Even as somebody who hasn't watched a whole lot of the orginal TV series, I felt that each of the actors nailed their respective characters perfectly. Zachary Quinto as Spock and Karl Urban as Dr. Bones McCoy were especially brilliant, from their mannerisms and nuances, to just the overall essence of their characters. The only character whose motivations I wasn't able to buy was Nero, despite being very well portrayed by Eric Bana.

Overall, Star Trek is a smart, funny, action-packed thrill ride. Whether you're a die-hard Star Trek fan or somebody who has never even heard of the series up until now, you'll have an absolute blast. This is not only my second favorite film of the year so far (with Coraline still sitting firmly at the #1 spot), but one of the finest science fiction movies I've ever seen.

9/10

Kylethedarkn
05-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I agree. This is the first star trek thing I've seen since randomly watching like 3 episodes of the series. I thought it was awesome. Tops Star Wars imo. And Hi Rare.

killerwombat
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
I love the original series, and cant wait to see the movie. _awesome_

I havent read this, but Im sure that its a great review. I dont want to spoil any of the movie. ;)

MSico
05-10-2009, 02:18 PM
If you have Netflix you may already watch the first season of Star Trek: The Original Series (remastered), but now CBS has released the (almost) entire three seasons of the show, and intend to go through and release every episode of Star Trek.

You may watch them, along with many other CBS shows, here (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CBS&view=playlists).

the1stpkmnfan
05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Nice Review, Rare. :) I was planning to see the movie last week, but Im really booked with School work. XP

Though, I might go see it this week before the marathon starts. My mom loves the series a lot, since...those old years.

killerwombat
05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
If you have Netflix you may already watch the first season of Star Trek: The Original Series (remastered), but now CBS has released the (almost) entire three seasons of the show, and intend to go through and release every episode of Star Trek.

You may watch them, along with many other CBS shows, here (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CBS&view=playlists).
Thank you so much! I also plan to get the original series first season on blueray when I get the money... and a blueray player. Until then, this rocks. Thanks!
*Hugs*

I am mad cause my mom said that we would see the movie today... we didnt.

the1stpkmnfan
05-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Yesterday, my mom and my step dad and sister went to go see the movie. I wanted to go, but I had to stream and do my hmwk. So I stayed home. I guess Ill have to go see it later. :(

But my mom says she loves it.

Syrup
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I saw it. I was amazed. I then proceded to see wolverine i was not amazed :'( (to high hopes) then i saw the Soloist and it was good x) (yes i payed for all 3 shows)

Kylethedarkn
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I saw it. I was amazed. I then proceeded to see wolverine i was not amazed :'( (to high hopes) then i saw the Soloist and it was good x) (yes i payed for all 3 shows)
I've heard a lot of people complain about origins. I liked it though. Maybe its cuz I haven't read the comments.

Trombonus
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
This movie really surprised me. Frankly, I was not interested in seeing this at all, but my dad and sister wanted to go and I figured I'd tag along since we never go to movies together as a family (sad I know). Anyway, we got inside and the previews started, and amongst them was the preview for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, so once I saw that I was stoked. I literally said "Ok, we can go now" out loud (during a moment where nothing was playing, it was quite embarassing). So I was in a good mood for the movie, and it totally blowed me away. I love how they kept it fresh while still paying homage to the original series. I thought the actors all did a great job emulating their character's mannerisms, with the possible exception of Kirk. Even so, I thought Kirk could get away with it.

I also liked how the action was there from start to finish. I never really felt a lull in the tempo of the film, although there were a few times where it came close. even the flashback/explanation scenes weren't bad.

Terrific movie!

Sonic62
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
This looks really good. Sounds like we'll be seeing it on our day off next Monday.

the1stpkmnfan
05-12-2009, 11:11 PM
And now, on Thursday night, I will be seeing this movie. While this'll be the second time my mom watches it

So yeah, a great movie before a great marathon.

Sonic62
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
So I did see it yesterday and I loved it! There were some really funny parts, it was great when the whole theater would laugh. :lol:

killerwombat
05-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I loved this movie! I loved how they incorporated some of the original lines too.

[spoiler:22kysywh]Live long and prosper
Damn it (fill in person here), I'm a doctor, not a (fill in occupation here)
I'm giving it all she's got captain
There are more that I cant think of right now.[/spoiler:22kysywh]