PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Fan Art Submissions

Anatotitan
05-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Guys, I hate to say this, but some folks are swiping other people's art and submitting it as their own for the fanart booklet.

For example, this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thespeedgamers/3540850964 is stolen from this: http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/Please- ... h-47351985 (http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/Please-Give-Us-Strength-47351985) Whoever submitted this clearly just slapped an MS Paint hat over the artist's original text and sent it in as their own work.

"How do you know the artist herself didn't submit it?" Well, the original artist is actually a friend of mine, and I know she wouldn't MS Paint over her OWN WORK and submit it like this.

I hate to be Captain Capslock but DO NOT STEAL PEOPLE'S ARTWORK. You do realize that putting stolen work into the fanart book will make the Speed Gamers look bad, right? You can't do stuff like that because it will ultimately make the Speed Gamers look less legitimate, which makes viewers less likely to donate, which hurts the charities.

Sorry but as an artist, this really, really rubs me the wrong way.

LegendOfCookies
05-17-2009, 06:35 PM
wow...

the1stpkmnfan
05-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, Im very sad to see people steal other's work. It's not happy at all, dishonest people these days.

LegendOfCookies
05-17-2009, 06:44 PM
That is pathetic could they at least do some large change to make it original?

Anatotitan
05-17-2009, 06:52 PM
That is pathetic could they at least do some large change to make it original?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the Speed Gamers could make a change to ensure original submissions? Because they may have to for this. They'll probably have to look into each submission and make sure it's not just swiped from DeviantArt, or official art ran through a Photoshop filter in an attempt to make it look drawn.

If you mean the submitter could make some major change to make this particular submission original, then I don't think that's really possible. Stolen art is stolen, and even big changes aren't going to make it original.

I'm just afraid some of this other art is swiped and I would hate it if the original artists' saw the fanart book and said "hey, _I_ drew that, and I didn't send this in!"

KatTheBard
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I agree with you, Anatotitan. I think something should be done about it. And soon.

LegendOfCookies
05-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Im sorry i have been corrected..

Syrup
05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
you can do a crap paint drawing and we would love it more than stolen stuff!

TwilightWarrior
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, I noticed a Earthbound Bidoofs Artwork that was stolen from DeviantArt. The real artist's name was still on there. Such a shame...

LegendOfCookies
05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes, I noticed a Earthbound Bidoofs Artwork that was stolen from DeviantArt. The real artist's name was still on there. Such a shame...

perhaps its just 2 or 3 people doing that a lot? i hope its not a large group of people that would be even more of a shame

ck14500
05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
can't believe people would do such a thing, i thought the TSG fans would know better

Jamesdh17
05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Some people think they can get away with stuff like that, I doubt it was any of the forum members though. Probably like some 10 year old wanting a prize and taking the easy way out.

05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Some people think they can get away with stuff like that, I doubt it was any of the forum members though. Probably like some 10 year old wanting a prize and taking the easy way out.
right..... i mean come on even i am not a shamed that i can't draw i mean if you saw my pkmn drawings from a long time ago you would see how horrinle i am at drawing and i still posted those pictures just to show you guys

CodeZTM
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Eeek. That's horrible. If you're going to use something because you can't draw, at least do the official artwork you get from the actual source or game, not the hard work and beauty of fanart made by artists. :(

Jamesdh17
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
right..... i mean come on even i am not a shamed that i can't draw i mean if you saw my pkmn drawings from a long time ago you would see how horrinle i am at drawing and i still posted those pictures just to show you guys
Haha i can't even do good stick figures xD. (you all are probably thinking.... "how can you not draw stick figures?")

whitemage730
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
That's not cool. I hope everyone here realizes that that is Plagerism (I can't spell) and is not right. It's one thing if you cite it, and give them some credit, but just painting on it and calling it your own? Not cool.
But TSG will still love you. As long as you learn from your lesson.
:D

ck14500
05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
seriously, i d hope that just because TSG wants fan art from everyone, dosn't mean that we can just steal and call it our own. yes we love fan art but lets make our own

Ruju
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe they were excited about the fact that the fan art would be collected and made into an actual book? I know that made me really excited. I mean you get to have a physical piece of work to show that you were part of a good cause. Too bad they felt the need to take someone's work. They should have realized that even if they couldn't draw or something that no one would care, just like we don't care that not everyone can give money. It's the want to be part of something bigger and help those in need.

I hope this doesn't hinder anything fan art related like this in the future. :/ I for one think the fan art booklet was an amazing idea.

Blaumagier
05-20-2009, 01:14 AM
This is why we can't have nice things. One bad apple can ruin the whole bunch. Hopefully TSG doesn't punish everyone by not doing cool things like this booklet in the future.

Lucazard
05-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Shame on that person...

KatTheBard
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Ooh, a booklet? I hope I can get my FF marathon promo in before it's published! ^___^

Baltes
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I am bumping this in hopes that people who are currently doing it notice that we staff aren't completely stupid xD
fanart is for your own original creation

notmman
06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Is this really an issue?

I mean...let's say I decided [spoiler:1yu2dpy3]http://i50.tinypic.com/9bkdgo.png[/spoiler:1yu2dpy3]
to post that picture.

Wouldn't you already sorta know it's theirs? What if I just wanted to submit that specific picture, does it still count as a fanart submission? Some people aren't good at drawing so we pick pictures we've seen and post them as fan art for people to view. As long as you note that it's not your drawing then I don't see a real problem.

maj495
06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
It's pretty disappointing that there's even a need for a topic like this. Gah; some people...

AlanEdgeHead
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
It's not your picture to submit, so you have no right to do anything with it. ONLY submit your own creations.

maj495
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
It's not your picture to submit, so you have no right to do anything with it. ONLY submit your own creations.
Yeah, I agree. It just wouldn't feel right if I took someone's art and posted it, even if I cited them. But that's just me

Baltes
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
i accidentally approved something that was just a stock image of a pokemon that you can find on the front page of google images if you search for that pokemon. for some reason, even though i've been following the whole TheOatmeal vs FunnyJunk thing, i didn't consider going into this that people would actually do that here, for our fanart submissions.
but good grief we've had some amazing original fanart!

maj495
06-20-2012, 08:47 PM
i accidentally approved something that was just a stock image of a pokemon that you can find on the front page of google images if you search for that pokemon. for some reason, even though i've been following the whole TheOatmeal vs FunnyJunk thing, i didn't consider going into this that people would actually do that here, for our fanart submissions.
but good grief we've had some amazing original fanart!
Is there a link where we can see fan art? I'd love to see all of it based on the 2 fan arts they showed on stream

Baltes
06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
www.thespeedgamers.com/fanart (http://www.thespeedgamers.com/fanart)

maj495
06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/fanart
Thanks, Baltes! I should have a lot of fun looking at these :)

ojamamask
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Yea I saw a few stolen images that I have seen before. I didn't really take any notice of them but I understand why this might upset you Anatotitan. Maybe we should get a spotchecker for something like that.

Baltes
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
yeah i'm handling everything now ojama, but even an image or three got past me and google T_T i feel like such a failure.

ojamamask
06-22-2012, 06:58 PM
This sounds like a job for......nah man I'm probably not that much help anyway.
Well at least we know that they are getting cleared swiftly.

Wallace
06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
yeah i'm handling everything now ojama, but even an image or three got past me and google T_T i feel like such a failure.

I have a Google Chrome extension that allows me to right click a picture and do a google search for that image from it. Do you use something like that or are you doing the old copy paste?

Baltes
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Just drag and drop from one window to another

BroBuzz
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL.